Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It's about fucking time a video showed up.

Yeah, but too bad it's shitty quality.

There will be more.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This might make a good security addition for Sea World

http://www.wdcs.org.uk/graphics_bin/whaling_harpoonist.jpg

No it would not. Harpooned whales can keep going for hours. You need something you can put multiple rounds into it until it rolls over dead. I am talking about a FAL, AR-10, G3 or the like with some frangible ammo and open sights. A step up on the audience side and clear out the trainer side. then you have a back stop. This is an animal that can displace tons of water with  one jump and eat a great white shark for lunch. you may even want to have 2 20round mags taped together. there were 3-4 instances in the video where one could have got off 4-5 rounds. As much as this would pain me had i been there i would have been compelled to do something even with my lowely .40.. I  could not sit idly by and watch some one like that be drowned no matter what they signed up for.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DO NOT swim with the orcas!
eta: that's twice!

Needs to be said twice!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they need something like an underwater flash-bang to disorient the thing?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Save the whales - let the whale go - man shouldnt pen whales up.....poor wild animals... etc etc
Thats all well and good, but why does this keep happening?

I still can't get over the fact that this particular whale has killed three people!

Ok one trainer killed..a one off,freak accident.....then another one....and now a third!

How can there be any question of what needs to be done? at least with this whale??

C'mon!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#6]
tag for home
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So the stupid bastards have absolutely nothing on hand to stop an attack by an animal clearly capable of killing some small meat sack like us?  Ahhh, they probably can't fathom their little pet darling needing to be stopped.  I would think even a good sized knife would be enough to get that thing to break off long enough to get out.  

Maybe not but that was rough to watch.

Are you high?

A 7 ton whale with teeth, that moves as fast as a dolphin, and your going to stab it?

Orcas are in fact dolphins rather than whales.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would also kill anyone in the water.  A concussion wave moving through water can basically tenderize all your internal organs.

Small shaped charge - I don't think it would take much to put the whale out of commission - maybe a powder charge equivalent to what they use n a bang stick for sharks.  Small pop, blows up some important bit of Shamu *shrug*  

Not saying they should strap a kilo of stuff to the whale or wrap it in det-cord  Although......

Yep, surgically implanted right next to its CNS.  Remote detonation.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So the stupid bastards have absolutely nothing on hand to stop an attack by an animal clearly capable of killing some small meat sack like us?  Ahhh, they probably can't fathom their little pet darling needing to be stopped.  I would think even a good sized knife would be enough to get that thing to break off long enough to get out.  

Are you high?

A 7 ton whale with teeth, that moves as fast as a dolphin, and your going to stab it?

Even 7 ton animals don't like getting sharp objects jammed into them.  I guess I'd prefer the chance that it might peel off for a few seconds to crying for it to stop between gasps of air.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you high?

Even 7 ton animals don't like getting sharp objects jammed into them.  I guess I'd prefer the chance that it might peel off for a few seconds to crying for it to stop between gasps of air.

Some of you guys are fucking delusional.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Frankly, that looks... malicious.

(I know, I'm anthropomorphizing. Still...
)

it might not be human, but them fuckers are smart. Anthropomorphizing one might be underestimating it.

Even dogs and cats play the game of letting something nearly escape.

I am not a big fan of keeping whales in captivity, but doing so has benefitted the wild population immensely. I am kinda torn.

No video here so tag for home.

No offense, but FUCK THAT NOISE!

Orcas are in absolutely no danger from anything but greedy corporate interests who want to lock them up and make big bucks off of them.  The wild population should just be left alone.

Do Orcas need a captive breeding program to survive?  No.

Do Orcas need to be in zoos to educate the public not to kill them?  No.

Education?  About what?  Why do people need to know that an Orca can leap 30 feet into the air and snatch a mackeral from a human's mouth?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you high?

Some of you guys are fucking delusional.

skin and fat layer of a whale.  good luck with anything but a .50 cal for starters.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#13]
They should release it back into the sea.

If it survives, great.  Seaworld has gotten rid of a proven dangerous animal.

If it doesn't, great.  Seaworld has gotten rid of a proven dangerous animal, plus it got deaded and nobody had to "kill" it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 That's one messed up whale.  It even let the trainer almost get away but then drug them back out.  

Also known as a dumb animal following brute instinct.

Why do people insist on giving animals human qualities?

Good and evil don't exist in the animal world.

You know jack shit about cetacean brains.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If it doesn't, great.  Seaworld has gotten rid of a proven dangerous animal, plus it got deaded and nobody had to "kill" it.

Never discussed "ethics" in school, did you?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Sad when an animals life is more valuable than a humans.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#17]
SEA WORLD KILLER WHALE SHOT MANY TIMES IN HEAD TRAINER SAVED NEWS AT 11
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This might make a good security addition for Sea World

http://www.wdcs.org.uk/graphics_bin/whaling_harpoonist.jpg

No it would not. Harpooned whales can keep going for hours. You need something you can put multiple rounds into it until it rolls over dead. I am talking about a FAL, AR-10, G3 or the like with some frangible ammo and open sights. A step up on the audience side and clear out the trainer side. then you have a back stop. This is an animal that can displace tons of water with  one jump and eat a great white shark for lunch. you may even want to have 2 20round mags taped together. there were 3-4 instances in the video where one could have got off 4-5 rounds. As much as this would pain me had i been there i would have been compelled to do something even with my lowely .40.. I  could not sit idly by and watch some one like that be drowned no matter what they signed up for.

Yeah, you whip out your gun and start popping off shots at it. Let me know how that works out for you when you get out of jail. Not to mention the legal bills from the lawsuit by SeaWorld and your criminal defense bills. Holy shit GD has really gone full retard today.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

(I know, I'm anthropomorphizing. Still... )

it might not be human, but them fuckers are smart. Anthropomorphizing one might be underestimating it.

Even dogs and cats play the game of letting something nearly escape.

I am not a big fan of keeping whales in captivity, but doing so has benefitted the wild population immensely. I am kinda torn.

No video here so tag for home.

No offense, but FUCK THAT NOISE!

Orcas are in absolutely no danger from anything but greedy corporate interests who want to lock them up and make big bucks off of them.  The wild population should just be left alone.

Do Orcas need a captive breeding program to survive?  No.

Do Orcas need to be in zoos to educate the public not to kill them?  No.

Education?  About what?  Why do people need to know that an Orca can leap 30 feet into the air and snatch a mackeral from a human's mouth?

I don't think you see the whole picture. It was not long ago that they were killed as nuisances to fishing boats and were used for military target practice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The heroism of the other trainers cannot be overstated.

Do they make tazers for whales?

No kidding. I wonder whether someone with CCW could've distracted the whale long enough if he/she started shooting the whale in the head every time it surfaced. It's impossible to say but I would have tried anyway (once it was clear that things have gotten out of control).
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.nativevillage.org/Messages%20from%20the%20People/Photos%20Messages%20from%20the%20People/muktuk%20gerrit%20vyn.jpg

skin and fat layer of a whale.  good luck with anything but a .50 cal for starters.  

.50 was the first that came to mind.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Put a cork in its blow hole
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Quite possibly the most sane idea posted yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know about y'all but I have a policy against going near animals that have 'killer' in their name. That ought to be a big clue right there.

They keep it locked up for decades, make it do stupid tricks, and then they wonder why it wants to club a trainer like a baby seal?! Darwin's on the other line..
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#25]
that didn't look like a girl with a pony tail and the cleaner footage of seaworld from above was edited in
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

shoot the motherfucker

This,

The courts would have a dog put to death for killing or just mauling a human being. The Orca should not be geting a pass.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Most Interesting Man In The World

Quite possibly the most sane idea posted yet.

I agree, who is that guy?  I see a lot of good advice from him.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's about fucking time a video showed up.

You say that like you feel it's somehow owed to you?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
that didn't look like a girl with a pony tail and the cleaner footage of seaworld from above was edited in

Whoever it was, and whenever it was, it was a horrible way to go.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never discussed "ethics" in school, did you?

I don't understand the question.  You could argue that we have an obligation to keep the animal now that we have semi-domesticated it, but I think the lines are a little blurry in this particular case.  In the end, it's an animal, not a human being.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.nativevillage.org/Messages%20from%20the%20People/Photos%20Messages%20from%20the%20People/muktuk%20gerrit%20vyn.jpg

skin and fat layer of a whale. good luck with anything but a .50 cal for starters.

And look at the teeth!

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
shoot the motherfucker

This,

The courts would have a dog put to death for killing or just mauling a human being. The Orca should not be geting a pass.

not a valid comparison...wild animal in a tank...versus domesticated for centuries ...Like Chris Rock said of the Siegrfried and Roy incident "The tiger didn't go crazy...the tiger went tiger!"

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoever it was, and whenever it was, it was a horrible way to go.

That guy didn't die if I recall....

ETA:  I believe this is the incident in the video on liveleak:

July 2004

At SeaWorld San Antonio, trainer Steve Aibel was attacked for several minutes during a show. Amazingly, he was not hurt.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#34]
The whale in that video was not trying to kill that person. It never bit her...even when they play with seals as prey they toss them with their mouths.

He was frustrated and trying to mate with her.

Its common acctually. A few years back down in the Keys a woman was pinned in the water by a male dolphin trying to mate with her in one of those swim with the dolphins programs. His penis was out the whole time and he kept doing the same thing to that lady as was being done to the woman in that video. She later told officials that she was having her period at the time.

Id be willing to bet that this woman helped with Tilikums breeding programs....she probably jerked him off on a regular basis and he wanted some poonani.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

(I know, I'm anthropomorphizing. Still...
)

Whether this is THE video in question or not I agree with runcible 1000%. That certainly looked malicious as hell to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]
According to one of the videos that animal had been responsible for three previous deaths. Didn't that raise a flag with someone before hand?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe its just me, but perhaps putting on solid black wetsuits makes them look a bit too much like seals, the killer whale's natural prey...

Not 100% correct.

Only certain pods of killer whales eat seals.

Many eat only fish.

This whale came from a fish eating pod.

ETA:: i'm referring to the whale that killed the woman, apparently this vid is of a different whale attack.

I wonder..Would dumping  a bunch of live fish into the Orca tank as a diversion  stop an attack?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#38]
There seem to be a lot of whale apologists here.

For the record, I'm all for capturing whales and forcing them to entertain us in the way that Sea World does, and then destroying them when they step out of line. Can anyone give a cogent argument as to why we should NOT be doing that?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Id be willing to bet that this woman helped with Tilikums breeding programs....she probably jerked him off on a regular basis and he wanted some poonani.

Wins the award for the most fucked up thing I've read today!

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but w/e I have thick skin. I think its a crime they even have the whale trapped in such a small containment. I don't feel sorry for the trainer at all. Whales, along with all the other creatures at "sea world" should be in the wild, not confined to a cage.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wins the award for the most fucked up thing I've read today!

no, this is...    

In the context of thinking of this whale's breeding program, the irony of his name becomes apparent.  

They named the whale:  Tilikum –– e.g., "till I come"

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
looks like a cat playing with a mouse

that is what I thought. i remember seeing a show once where the whales did that with seals. just toying with them before they ate em. what an ordeal. I would have an ass of lamp oil if it were my choice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#43]
When the hell are people going to learn not to fuck with wild animals? My give a shit o meter is pegged at zero on this one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Jump in the tank and swim to the trainer, when the whale starts going after you, you put your (Kel-tec p3AT, Ruger LCP, Raven .25) whatever your CCW is, right up against its head.

Get on your I-phone and download a Youtube video with the sound of a shotgun being racked and play it underwater for the wale to hear.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
shoot the motherfucker

Why? It was doing something it was intended to do from thousands of years of evolution before some 'tard decided, "Let's capture one of the greatest sea predators that has ever lived and make it into a show for dumb ass tourists!" People here love a good Darwin story and suddenly get all riled up about this
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
shoot the motherfucker

Why? It was doing something it was intended to do from thousands millions of years of evolution before some 'tard decided, "Let's capture one of the greatest sea predators ever and make it into a show for dumb ass tourists!"

/thread
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 That's one messed up whale.  It even let the trainer almost get away but then drug them back out.  

Also known as a dumb animal following brute instinct.

Why do people insist on giving animals human qualities?

Good and evil don't exist in the animal world.

You know jack shit about cetacean brains.

I don't believe most people really get it.

First, I'm a SCUBA diver who has ~ 10 hours of video of close, open water dives taken over a dozen years with sharks, another apex predator, in seas ranging from the Coral Sea, to the Caribbean, and the Red Sea.  When I'm in their environment, I realize I'm also likely exposing myself to risk.  Period.

Secondly, this orca, another apex predator, through the thin veneer of domestication is in fact yet a predator.

Third, and I've learned to reconcile this over the years, is that animals of all kinds found in zoo's or aquarium's serve as ambassadors, in a sense, to people who would otherwise not be exposed to nature.

It's not the animal that is to blame, any more than when after literally signing my life away on a shark dive and then complaining I wasn't informed of the risk I call foul.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Thats crazy as hell.  Hey, why we're on this subject. You guys remember that dude Grizzly man who him and his girlfreind were mauled by those wild grizzlies? there was video but, the documentary I watched wouldn't show it. They just played the audio. Has anyone ever came across that vid? They said the main reason for the attack was that the girl was on the rag. Dude was askin for it from the get go.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top