Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
America needs to end it's tolerance for the communist left is more like it
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Designate maximum population limits, then zone for no more single-family residences than will accommodate.  If you can't fit, you can't live there.  high-density housing should be a shortcoming of larger metros and we need to stop importing people into the country, legally and otherwise.  America is full.
View Quote

How should those maximum population limits be calculated? What would the criteria be?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I get the developers can't cash out as well but I guess it's largely a problem of idiots trying to look rich and willing to be house poor to do it.
View Quote

It's not just the buyers, its the government setting a minimum level of consumption. They tell you that a house has to sit on a 6,000 SF lot with two parking stalls, a 60' ROW, an HOA, etc. That's going to be an expensive house no matter what you do.

Put a house on a 3,000 SF with street parking and all of a sudden you'll see 1200 SF houses with two street parking stalls at a much lower price.

Don't get me started on the building code and some of the ridiculous shit in the NEC in particular.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I can barely live with my wife let alone other peoples...My son is my responsibility so he is null and void of the mess...
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Single family housing isn't affordable because developers keep making subdivisions will large expensive houses instead of affordable ones.  Period.    Watching the Phoenix metro expand by millions of people over the last couple decades almost all new subdivisions have been 2k sf homes on average.  My neighborhood build in 1983 was entirely 1200 sqft homes with a carport.  Over decades most people improved their home adding a bedroom or building a garage out of their carport but the homes were built for people to be able to afford them.

I think city planners encourage expensive housing so they can take in more property tax revenue leaving people with little options on buying a house that simply meets their needs and is affordable.  People are buying way more house than an average family needs .
View Quote

Developers build what they believe will sell. If what they’re building is too expensive for a house shopper, that shopper probably isn’t in the target sales demographic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem with single family homes and property is that they are not affordable in a single family income.

Mom and Dad both have to work, the bank still gets to take a 10%+ cut of their income, the Govt gets to take a 15% cut of their income, and healthcare gets to take 10%+ of their income.

The Gov raises the kids to be entitled trannys, kills Mom and Dad with CDC covid treatments when they get old, and spends most of their adult lives harassing them in different ways just for living in peace and not hurting anyone.

But yeah, it's the developers? Lol
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Developers build what they believe will sell. If what they’re building is too expensive for a house shopper, that shopper probably isn’t in the target sales demographic.
View Quote

It’s not that what you said is wrong, but you missed half or more of what’s happening. A developer has to build what the government approves of. Usually for every thing he can build that the government will allow there are several profitable things he can’t build legally.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's not just the buyers, its the government setting a minimum level of consumption. They tell you that a house has to sit on a 6,000 SF lot with two parking stalls, a 60' ROW, an HOA, etc. That's going to be an expensive house no matter what you do.

Put a house on a 3,000 SF with street parking and all of a sudden you'll see 1200 SF houses with two street parking stalls at a much lower price.

Don't get me started on the building code and some of the ridiculous shit in the NEC in particular.
View Quote

A lot of it has to do with maintaining a certain level of tree coverage, a healthy ratio of pervious to impervious coverage, controlling storm water, managing erosion, and managing traffic control. These factors have both environmental and public safety implications.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lakewood?

That site I showed you last time we talked is going to get built out at urban densities, 55 units per acre with structured parking.

I think we need a land use system that creates a lot of owner occupied rental housing... as in buildings with up to 12 units on 30 year notes with owner occupants building wealth by building and owning buildings.

The system we have now is all but designed for large developers and investors, and that includes the production homebuilders that grind out tract housing.
View Quote

There was actually several areas I had tried.... I think you are spot on, and right, and it's what I wanted to see happening and tried to be part of but was always shot down, 20 years ago..... If they had let people do it back then, we wouldn't be where we are today.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Or they could just purchase a bunch of "Pre-Manufactored Housing" and use vertical space to gain density.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2HzxfVPThBndB29AeTqN1fHRupU=/99x0:1179x720/1200x800/filters:focal(99x0:1179x720)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45979880/ready_player_one_movie.0.0.jpg

Everyone gets to build & keep the "equity" in their own "house"...

But back to serious - it cost BIG $$$ to live in desirable places.   Not all the Poors can do so.  Just "Facts of Life".

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Bro.
I can smell the Pall malls and Busch through that rendering.
I can hear step fathers wailing on red headed children over the cousins bumping uglies with Maury and Judge Judy as background noise through that rendering.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bro.
I can smell the Pall malls and Busch through that rendering.
I can hear step fathers wailing on red headed children over the cousins bumping uglies with Maury and Judge Judy as background noise through that rendering.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
That is how Commies roll.

comrade kaprugina delivers a scolding

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It’s not that what you said is wrong, but you missed half or more of what’s happening. A developer has to build what the government approves of. Usually for every thing he can build that the government will allow there are several profitable things he can’t build legally.
View Quote

I’m aware. I do this for a living. I’m designing a pocket development of townhouses on a 3.8 acre waterfront parcel. Just yesterday I had a change of development code interpretation from a prior review that saved my bacon, as the prior review was going to make us lose units to the tune of $8M in sales.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Steamboat has the same problem as all the moutain resort towns have.

Terrain locked with limited building area. Need housing for resort workers and associated industries. Long term residents that don't want change.

Without the resort job market would be tiny and housing would be dirt cheap since no easy commute to jobs. As the long term residents die off the town dies.
View Quote

I live in one of the town's listed. Covid fucked us with remote workers moving into town and taking the locals housing. I hate Covid more for that than anything else.

Nobody that lives here wants the town to grow. It used to be a quiet, slow place to live except for summer vacation and holidays. Now we have traffic and a packed downtown 7 days a week. I still love it, but miss how it used to be.

We're fortunate to have 20 acres. Basically unheard of here. Living in an apartment complex just doesn't appeal to me for the lifestyle in a mountain town. That said, people don't need their new house to be 3k sq/ft. A lot of the original homes were under 1k sq/ft.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Between the cost of housing and fire insurance cost (almost $20k/yr. now) it has become very expensive to own a home here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I'm guaranteed to get chocolate once a week?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, this is how the communists roll.  
You'll take your Section 8 housing, your weekly chocolate ration, and you'll like it.  
So I'm guaranteed to get chocolate once a week?

Sure you are comrade. What you're NOT guaranteed is how much though. But hey, chocolate is chocolate right? Be thankful you get any.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Of course it will be impossible to force everyone into sustainable, state owned housing while we're still armed
View Quote

Well I guess so.  But when they make the cost of everything go up...
I am not planning on being any sort of "serf".  Preparing accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Another problem caused by liberals and liberalism.  Allow people to defend themselves and their property with impunity in an urban environment; reduce taxes to the bare minimum, and provide only necessary government services - people will flood back into the cities.  The government has fucked everything up, and people are fleeing their control - that's why people want out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
America needs to end it's tolerance for the communist left is more like it
View Quote

Good idea but too late.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How should those maximum population limits be calculated? What would the criteria be?
View Quote

That's easy.

Play the left with their rules.
Environmentalmidgets are hypocrites.

They'll clear cut hundreds, thousands of acres of forest and fertile fields for mcmansions.
Ideally you'd base it off of natural resources. And whether the existing infrastructure can support it.
There is no need to grow .gov

Replace trees with carbon dense hot air filled limp wristed liberals... glow bull warming will happen.
Plant trees and corn. Not mcmansions condos and tenaments.

Also.
Is there gainful employment that provides a wage conducive to supporting ones self without seeking welfare ebt/foodstuffs wicked heap etc.?
If not... good case for domestic energy production and manufacturing.

Population density for some lefty reason requires massive strain on home and business owners through various forms of extortion. I mean taxation.
Fuck that.
Camaros on blocks. Short dick the tax man so he can't Robin hood on behalf of the free shit army.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A lot of it has to do with maintaining a certain level of tree coverage, a healthy ratio of pervious to impervious coverage, controlling storm water, managing erosion, and managing traffic control. These factors have both environmental and public safety implications.
View Quote

If that was true the codes would mandate those things be handled to a standard instead of requiring a certain lifestyle and hoping it manages erosion.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another problem caused by liberals and liberalism.  Allow people to defend themselves and their property with impunity in an urban environment; reduce taxes to the bare minimum, and provide only necessary government services - people will flood back into the cities.  The government has fucked everything up, and people are fleeing their control - that's why people want out.
View Quote

No, they flee and bring their bullshit ideas with them.
Ask me how I know.

I'll TL/DR a novel for you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good idea but too late.
View Quote

If every patriot coc'd one communist...
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’m aware. I do this for a living. I’m designing a pocket development of townhouses on a 3.8 acre waterfront parcel. Just yesterday I had a change of development code interpretation from a prior review that saved my bacon, as the prior review was going to make us lose units to the tune of $8M in sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then don’t leave out the first half.

We just pulled out of a major project because the city added open space requirements that couldn’t be absorbed. Sold the land to a LIHTC developer who has money to burn on a plan that wouldn’t work unsubsidized.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If that was true the codes would mandate those things be handled to a standard instead of requiring a certain lifestyle and hoping it manages erosion.
View Quote

Per local building code...
Every new tract mcmansion needs a minimum of 2 native trees planted.
Should you have pre existing house and take one down preemptively because hurricane will drop that fucker on your house? Well... you need to replace that 1 with 2 more.

Having seen how the houses are built here...
I wouldn't buy anything built from 2016+

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#26]
This may be a compromise for some that are between the apartment ned the starter home stage:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey, if someone wants to bring chaos into their life by having other families live with them in the same house, more power to them. But I won't be one of them. My house is MY house. My property is MY property. And no one is going to tell me what to do with it.
View Quote

Loud idiots,
fighting idiots,
drugged idiots,
slob scum filthy pigsty dwellings
the roaches that run wild in the aforementioned filth
uncouth unsupervised children
other people’s music.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Agreed. Make it legal to build dense housing, when and where the free market will support it.

Where I live, it's illegal. You're only allowed to build single family homes. By government decree, and strict zoning enforcement.
View Quote

Lol same here but beach side condos don't count
You'll see 50+ corvettes and porsches that have never gone beyond 5 below whatever the posted speed limit anywhere
Barrel assed bowlegged boomers can be seen waddling/scootering lifted golf carting all about, bitching about the service at whatever restaraunt they just came back from.

Rules for thee not for me!

I should build a condo.
Call it.
Camaro Gardens.
Free pitbulls with every security deposit!

For the lols.
Put cameras in with a live feed, free for arfcom members and paid subscription for anyone else.
The fucking LOLs!

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Single family housing isn't affordable because developers keep making subdivisions will large expensive houses instead of affordable ones.  Period.    Watching the Phoenix metro expand by millions of people over the last couple decades almost all new subdivisions have been 2k sf homes on average.  My neighborhood build in 1983 was entirely 1200 sqft homes with a carport.  Over decades most people improved their home adding a bedroom or building a garage out of their carport but the homes were built for people to be able to afford them.

I think city planners encourage expensive housing so they can take in more property tax revenue leaving people with little options on buying a house that simply meets their needs and is affordable.  People are buying way more house than an average family needs .
View Quote

Also a big part of it, at least for me. Was the fees that the local municipalities charge you to build. When they want as much in "impact" fees as the lot you are building on costs. The math doesn't work to build anything but a bigger place.  Because often it's the same "impact fee" for a small house as it is for a large one...
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Home depot has Moar better "tiny house" kits than that whatever that man bun thing is.

Put a hot tub and bar up top, fill it with women.
Rig up alpine type r/kicker system
Add RGB LED light strips all over sync'd to bass...

You could have quite the stabin cabin right there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#31]
What a wonderful idea! Just make sure the walls are very thin between the apartments so neighbors can hear each other activities well. Hang posters everywhere: "REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY 1-800- ....."  Have paid informants in each building, on every floor. Problem solved! There will be happiness and safe living.

Also, single family houses bigger than 800 sq. ft. should be converted to multiple family housing units by a presidential order. Each family will have access to shower (and laundry) one day per week.

Make each city resident spend at least one month every summer working on a collective farm. Hunger problem solved!

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Home depot has Moar better "tiny house" kits than that whatever that man bun thing is.
https://www.plus1homekits.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/house-2.jpg

Put a hot tub and bar up top, fill it with women.
Rig up alpine type r/kicker system
Add RGB LED light strips all over sync'd to bass...

You could have quite the stabin cabin right there.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Designate maximum population limits, then zone for no more single-family residences than will accommodate.  If you can't fit, you can't live there.  high-density housing should be a shortcoming of larger metros and we need to stop importing people into the country, legally and otherwise.  America is full.

Calculating how many people the local water supply can support, would seem to be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nashville's government discovered all of that, after the big May 2010 flood.  It was pointed out that building permits had been issued for places that probably shouldn't have been issued.  The city bought some flooded homes, demolished them, and pledged the property to greenspace.  There was also a statement of reevaluating the criteria used by the permit office, so that the recent rash of development (which contributed to the flooding through storm water runoff) wouldn't be repeated.

Unfortunately, democrats do democrat things.  The runoff issue was dealt with by creating a stormwater fee (I generally refer to it as the rain tax), calculated by the size of the lot and how much of it was covered by roof, concrete, or pavement, and paid monthly by the property owner.  With that issue taken care of (similar to how carbon emissions can be dealt with by buying carbon credits), the permit office went to work issuing permits at a higher frequency than before the flood.

The next big spring flood (we had a few of them in the early to mid-1970s) should be interesting.  I'm just glad I no longer work at a place next to a major river.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#36]
These nimrods never give up on their desire to build babel and they won't learn from the nimrod who tried it the first time.

(Genesis 11:1-9)
Now the whole earth used the same language and the same words.
It came about as they journeyed east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there.
They said to one another, “Come, let us make bricks and burn them thoroughly.” And they used brick for stone, and they used tar for mortar.
They said, “Come, let us build for ourselves a city, and a tower whose top will reach into heaven, and let us make for ourselves a name, otherwise we will be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”
The LORD came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built.
The LORD said, “Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.

Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another’s speech.”
So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city.
Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of the whole earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of the whole earth.

Nimrod: the world's first globalist, who decided to concentrate everyone together, so they wouldn't be spread over the earth, as they had been commanded to do.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#37]

The issue is finding somewhere that you can legally put it. Most houses in America have space for another dwelling or two.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nashville's government discovered all of that, after the big May 2010 flood.  It was pointed out that building permits had been issued for places that probably shouldn't have been issued.  The city bought some flooded homes, demolished them, and pledged the property to greenspace.  There was also a statement of reevaluating the criteria used by the permit office, so that the recent rash of development (which contributed to the flooding through storm water runoff) wouldn't be repeated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

New development generally has a lot more rules about runoff than historical development ever did. In most places now you have to retain or at least detain 100% of your stormwater. That is a huge impact on small development that can make it impossible to develop a single infill lot. The irony is that the single largest impermeable surface in town is... streets and parking lots.

Quoted:
Unfortunately, democrats do democrat things.  The runoff issue was dealt with by creating a stormwater fee (I generally refer to it as the rain tax), calculated by the size of the lot and how much of it was covered by roof, concrete, or pavement, and paid monthly by the property owner.  With that issue taken care of (similar to how carbon emissions can be dealt with by buying carbon credits), the permit office went to work issuing permits at a higher frequency than before the flood.

Again, if you want less impermeable surface than allow people to build less of it. A two car garage with a 20' driveway in front of it is around 800 SF of impermeable surface.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's an apartment complex going up in Tempe, AZ. 16 acres, 761 units and 16,000 SF of retail. It only has parking for the retail, so 150 stalls in total. The end result is 50% tree coverage and all the internal circulation is permeable pavers. For those of you keeping score at home, it is 47 units per acre in two and three story wood frame construction, and it has better stormwater management than basically anything else...
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Firstly, most apartment buildings are better built than most houses. At least during my career that’s been true.

Secondly, forcing? Let people buy what they can afford instead of trying to have government manipulate the markets to prohibit some housing and subsidize other housing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forcing us to live in Stalinist like apartment blocks shoddily constructed, where we will live cheek to jowl crammed on top of each other.

Firstly, most apartment buildings are better built than most houses. At least during my career that’s been true.

Secondly, forcing? Let people buy what they can afford instead of trying to have government manipulate the markets to prohibit some housing and subsidize other housing.

Apartments are thrown up as fast as possible using shit materials and third world labor paid as little as possible. I work construction and see it every day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There was actually several areas I had tried.... I think you are spot on, and right, and it's what I wanted to see happening and tried to be part of but was always shot down, 20 years ago..... If they had let people do it back then, we wouldn't be where we are today.
View Quote

Dan Parolek came up with the concept of the "Missing Middle" which is conducive to both small developers and small landlords, but the finance and land use people just aren't ready for it. They think they understand it... but they don't.

A lot of the problems that people have with apartment life could be solved by having a landlord that lived on site.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

New development generally has a lot more rules about runoff than historical development ever did. In most places now you have to retain or at least detain 100% of your stormwater. That is a huge impact on small development that can make it impossible to develop a single infill lot. The irony is that the single largest impermeable surface in town is... streets and parking lots.

Again, if you want less impermeable surface than allow people to build less of it. A two car garage with a 20' driveway in front of it is around 800 SF of impermeable surface.

View Quote

This is an example of what has been commonly built in Nashville in the last 5 years, though the front yards on this block are larger than in some of the new construction.  Small front yard with concrete walk (city now doesn't allow anything to be built without the builder putting in a concrete sidewalk from one edge of the property to the next, even if there are no other sidewalks within miles), house that is nearly the width of the lot, garage in the back with a concrete drive extending to the alley.

Attachment Attached File

It was an old 1950s subdivision, that developers started buying up rows of houses, bulldozing them, and building expensive houses in their place.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Apartments are thrown up as fast as possible using shit materials and third world labor paid as little as possible. I work construction and see it every day.
View Quote

That’s all true of houses too but the firms and people involved in commercial constructions are much more competent, the design is more detailed and the oversight is better. You ever ask the envelope consultant on a tract house to clarify a detail? What envelope consultant?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is an example of what has been commonly built in Nashville in the last 5 years, though the front yards on this block are larger than in some of the new construction.  Small front yard with concrete walk (city now doesn't allow anything to be built without the builder putting in a concrete sidewalk from one edge of the property to the next, even if there are no other sidewalks within miles), house that is nearly the width of the lot, garage in the back with a concrete drive extending to the alley.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64025/nations_jpg-2407926.JPG

It was an old 1950s subdivision, that developers started buying up rows of houses, bulldozing them, and building expensive houses in their place.
View Quote

That checked every box the city had. Maybe the city isn’t asking for what it hopes it’s asking for?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
America needs to kick these people out.
View Quote
They are Americans, why would other Americans kick them out?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That’s all true of houses too but the firms and people involved in commercial constructions are much more competent, the design is more detailed and the oversight is better. You ever ask the envelope consultant on a tract house to clarify a detail? What envelope consultant?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about what goes on in the actual building of an apartment, not what management thinks is going on.
EVERYTHING is done as cheaply as possible. Problems are only corrected if they can't be hidden.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That checked every box the city had. Maybe the city isn’t asking for what it hopes it’s asking for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64025/nations_jpg-2407926.JPG

One of the influences that led to that type of development, was the 'sidewalks and bike lanes everywhere' administration from two mayors ago.  That mayor wasn't a local (originally from California), and seemed only interested in turning Nashville into her vision of utopia (and lining her pockets), so she likely didn't bother herself with learning local history, even after spending some years on the city council.  

First scandal of her administration was the eviction of a homeless camp from some city property that a developer wanted.  She dismissed the homeless advocates by saying the process had been started by the previous mayor (who had made a habit of looking for ways to sell city property to developers that had apparently contributed to his campaign), and it was too far along for her to step in.  Once the homeless were moved out, workers started clearing the brush, but ran into trouble when they discovered graves.  If the mayor (or her predecessor, who also wasn't a local) had bothered to learn local history, they might have known that this project they were pushing came with a very real danger of uncovering a large slave burial area from the years that Union troops had occupied Nashville in the Civil War.  That was exactly what they had found, and the deal to sell off the city land was shelved.

The last scandal of her administration resulted in her resignation from office as part of a plea deal (the 'lining her pockets' part of her interests).

The city's development "plan" for the last 15 years, essentially boils down to trying to find ways to make real estate investors and developers happy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Soviet-style housing is all you need and you'll like it peasant.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/SovietArch_jpg-2407714.JPG
View Quote

A tiny fraction of the apartments on the road between Shanghai and Hangzhou.  No thanks.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 9
Top Top