Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Round 1 of the Navy PRT attempt kicked my butt even if I call myself the age I turn in 3 weeks.

Life goals for 2020 : BB all the things.

Is there a witness requirement for any hikes beyond provisional?

I get that the program is to form buddies but I am in a no mans land between Central and Tidewater (I don’t recognize any of the names of the places posed for Central VA meetup), most of the time I hike at Pocahontas state park. I will spam forums for buddies if I am trying to hit them in the 90 day req. I’ve got to get in shape first. Think I will hike with 45 lbs to get better at hiking with 45 lbs...
View Quote
That was an oversight. OP corrected. At least two witnesses unrelated to you are required for each qualifying hike unless otherwise specified. This is both to keep us honest and to encourage others to participate.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Round 1 of the Navy PRT attempt kicked my butt even if I call myself the age I turn in 3 weeks.

I get that the program is to form buddies but I am in a no mans land between Central and Tidewater (I don’t recognize any of the names of the places posed for Central VA meetup), most of the time I hike at Pocahontas state park. I will spam forums for buddies if I am trying to hit them in the 90 day req. I’ve got to get in shape first. Think I will hike with 45 lbs to get better at hiking with 45 lbs...
View Quote
Suggestion, hike verification can be done using one of various sports/trails apps.  I track mine using Strava and Alltrails.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Suggestion, hike verification can be done using one of various sports/trails apps.  I track mine using Strava and Alltrails.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way to verify the weight, plus people could cheat by roller skating etc. But more importantly the primary purpose of this is for patriots to network at a local level, rucking by yourself with an app doesn't accomplish that.

For those who live in remote areas--maybe they could apply for exceptions on a case by case basis to extend the window to complete the buddy hikes longer than 90 days? I'm not sure anywhere in VA is remote enough to warrant that though, there is a group in the NC Triad area, the NoVA group, and I'm sure if noplace else we'll get groups in Roanoke/Blacksburg, Norfolk, and Richmond
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe patched at an Appleseed or clearing the range at a CW (less than 20% do this most of the time). CW is pistol and rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Maybe patched at an Appleseed or clearing the range at a CW (less than 20% do this most of the time). CW is pistol and rifle.
Cleared the COF at Texas 2...then I died.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No way to verify the weight, plus people could cheat by roller skating etc. But more importantly the primary purpose of this is for patriots to network at a local level, rucking by yourself with an app doesn't accomplish that.

For those who live in remote areas--maybe they could apply for exceptions on a case by case basis to extend the window to complete the buddy hikes longer than 90 days?
View Quote
At some point integrity should be a skill too.  If I or anyone posts a ruck with pics on a tracking app like that then they did it.  Currently we are slim and far between in many areas.  Event hikes would need to be planned to get everyone together to try for the goal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I think planning hikes together is the best part of the whole ordeal. That’s what the BB essentially started out as.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cleared the COF at Texas 2...then I died.
View Quote
I cleared SE last year, haven't cleared at VA yet.  It sounds like SE this year is pretty much impossible to clear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry if this sounds like I'm shitposting... but this seems like a lot of work OP.

To the average guy, this could be a bit too structured and involved than what he's willing to go through to be honest.  Just my opinion
View Quote
Good
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Any specific procedure, policy, or requirements for starting a chapter? I am trying to start one in central KY.

Once a chapter is started, to what degree does it need to be connected to any central managing authority, and what would that entail?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag because.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I like this.  If there is ever an OK chapter and I get a chance to hike, I'm going to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!

I wonder if the Engineer rating will require a PE, or just an ABET degree and a job in the field.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When you say “unrelated to you”, do you mean that they can’t be my cousins or that they need to be two dudes that I don’t know at all?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was an oversight. OP corrected. At least two witnesses unrelated to you are required for each qualifying hike unless otherwise specified. This is both to keep us honest and to encourage others to participate.
When you say “unrelated to you”, do you mean that they can’t be my cousins or that they need to be two dudes that I don’t know at all?
Immediate family cannot verify- cousins should be fine. OP updated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any specific procedure, policy, or requirements for starting a chapter? I am trying to start one in central KY.

Once a chapter is started, to what degree does it need to be connected to any central managing authority, and what would that entail?
View Quote
Chapters can start, at least as of now, simply by associating together with a total of 3 or more people intent on participating. That may change once incorporating is complete, but only if a chapter wants us to centrally assist funding their activities and training opportunities.

We only ask that you keep track of when people complete qualifying events so we can verify when they want to compete in the national events.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ben ...I'm 62.

The Navy PFT only goes up to 50-54.

So....that means I have to pass that age group I guess.

Also, don't you give a choice between the run and swim?
View Quote
You can absolutely choose to swim.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice!

I wonder if the Engineer rating will require a PE, or just an ABET degree and a job in the field.
View Quote
Lol.  Let’s not get lost in the weeds until we start the land nav.  IMO, if you do engineering related to the tasks required, it counts.  I’m a structural guy.  We could really use some people to set up networks and repeaters.  An appropriate engineer in that field should definitely use the title.

Again, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm game and in Florida. I'm damaged, but I can hike ultralight. I'll settle for the rank of 'Always dead last and too stupid to quit'.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I think setting ruck weights using arbitrary numbers is the wrong way of going about it.  It would be better to have a packing list ( ie 4x socks, 2x underwear, 2L water, etc.) and have everyone supply their own gear.  I've spent a lot of time and money acquiring lightweight shit so I never have to be a suffering turtle again.

JMHO, from someone who is potentially interested.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm game and in Florida. I'm damaged, but I can hike ultralight. I'll settle for the rank of 'Always dead last and too stupid to quit'.
View Quote
We're working on it here https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/any-interest-in-a-Florida-Battle-Buddies-chapter-of-the-ABB-/10-640300/
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think setting ruck weights using arbitrary numbers is the wrong way of going about it.  It would be better to have a packing list ( ie 4x socks, 2x underwear, 2L water, etc.) and have everyone supply their own gear.  I've spent a lot of time and money acquiring lightweight shit so I never have to be a suffering turtle again.

View Quote
The method behind the madness for the weights is from pretty extensive testing conducted by the armed forces.

Effectively, it is assuming you may generally pack significantly lighter for your personal everyday gear, but then will often be burdened with extra essential specialized gear, batteries, ammo, extra water, or any other number of things.

It also helps verify a given minimum level of physical capability. 35lbs is honestly pretty light. Many of the NBB guys carry in the 50 to 75lbs range, exuding armor, chest rig, etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
there's a difference between (a) weight for physical training and (2) accumulating a basic combat load list.  One can do the former with weight that is either the basic combat load, bricks etc., without making the latter a barrier to entry.

But yes, creating a separate packing list for action would be helpful.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I like this.  If there is ever an OK chapter and I get a chance to hike, I'm going to.
View Quote
@sherrick13

I'm planning a hike at Arcadia Lake if you want to join me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@sherrick13

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@sherrick13

Keep me informed.  I am heading into tax season, but if I can get away I'll join up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#26]
15 pushups and 15 sit-ups every 100 yards
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lol.  Let’s not get lost in the weeds until we start the land nav.  IMO, if you do engineering related to the tasks required, it counts.  I’m a structural guy.  We could really use some people to set up networks and repeaters.  An appropriate engineer in that field should definitely use the title.

Again, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Again, IMO.
My PE is in Aerospace Engineering. But, I can do an almost passable job on comms.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Can someone verify the "witness" thing to mean someone has to go along the hikes with you or just has to see the data on whatever app you use once you complete a hike.

Meaning, can go on a 6 mile hike myself then get back and show someone my app or does someone need to come along the hike with me the whole way to verify?

Edit: Also, in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/American-Battle-Buddies-Warfighter-Challenge-6-7JUN2020/5-2285962/ you state " Open to any individuals who have, by 30 days before the event, achieved at least a 3rd Class Battle Buddy rating from anywhere in the country,..." So if you achieve the provisional rating are you not able to attend?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can someone verify the "witness" thing to mean someone has to go along the hikes with you or just has to see the data on whatever app you use once you complete a hike.

Meaning, can go on a 6 mile hike myself then get back and show someone my app or does someone need to come along the hike with me the whole way to verify?

Edit: Also, in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/American-Battle-Buddies-Warfighter-Challenge-6-7JUN2020/5-2285962/ you state " Open to any individuals who have, by 30 days before the event, achieved at least a 3rd Class Battle Buddy rating from anywhere in the country,..." So if you achieve the provisional rating are you not able to attend?
View Quote
The idea with the 'witness' is to encourage networking and participation or seek out active groups to hike with. 3 people could complete a challenge at the same time. I can't speak to the rest of your inquiry.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#32]
IN!

I strapped on my 40 pound vest and spent 60 minutes on the treadmill @ 3.4 mph today to see how these 50 year old knees felt about this.  So far no probs . . . I can't wait to get synced up with my local team!

Seriously Ben - this is excellent and awesome.  This is precisely the group activity and bonding experience that we need.  Again - thank you VERY much for your time and effort!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#33]
This is outstanding.
I know a lot of people are put off by the modern versions of Militia and the public stigma doesn’t help..  This is a much more effective way for people to meet up and share common Intrest’s. Very interested to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
The intent is to get people hiking together- even if the witness doesn't carry weight.

Provisional folks can go on a wait list- they are welcome to attend, but depending on turnout may not get to compete in every event.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The intent is to get people hiking together- even if the witness doesn't carry weight.

Provisional folks can go on a wait list- they are welcome to attend, but depending on turnout may not get to compete in every event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent, thanks.

I have a looooooooot of work to do but I'll be working towards it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Glad to see so much interest in the ABB/APC.

It is good to have Buddies!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rucking 50lbs made lobby day loadout a breeze.

For me anyways, I dig it. I hike 6 miles with 50lbs, but real life stuff will probably be 30lbs for 3.

Hikes reminded me of running competitively. You're not just training your body, you're training your brain to keep pushing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For me anyways, I dig it. I hike 6 miles with 50lbs, but real life stuff will probably be 30lbs for 3.

Hikes reminded me of running competitively. You're not just training your body, you're training your brain to keep pushing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that hiking is great exercise, I was just under the impression that the Battle Buddies were going to be a more practically focused version of GoRuck.  By that I mean "train like you fight" full-gear shakedown marches that include fieldcraft rather than "sack full of weights" exercising.

I carried half my bodyweight around in the Army and now I'm into Ultralight so packweight discussions make me #triggered lol.

I'll still check out the local Florida group once it gets hammered out, you can't get too much exercise.  It would be nice to meet up with some locals regardless and have some fun.  I support everything you guys have done so far, and I'm not trying to come off as critical with any of this, I just had some misconceptions.

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Is there a central place to report qualifying people/events?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#41]
@Ben

what are your thoughts about allowing achievement of Rifleman score at an Appleseed event to qualify for 2nd class/1st Class?  If verified by an Appleseed instructor, of course.  The course of fire is modeled after NRA high-power course of fire.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I get that hiking is great exercise, I was just under the impression that the Battle Buddies were going to be a more practically focused version of GoRuck.  By that I mean "train like you fight" full-gear shakedown marches that include fieldcraft rather than "sack full of weights" exercising.

I carried half my bodyweight around in the Army and now I'm into Ultralight so packweight discussions make me #triggered lol.

I'll still check out the local Florida group once it gets hammered out, you can't get too much exercise.  It would be nice to meet up with some locals regardless and have some fun.  I support everything you guys have done so far, and I'm not trying to come off as critical with any of this, I just had some misconceptions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the f2f networking is just as important as the physical/rifle aspects.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@Ben

what are your thoughts about allowing achievement of Rifleman score at an Appleseed event to qualify for 2nd class/1st Class?  If verified by an Appleseed instructor, of course.  The course of fire is modeled after NRA high-power course of fire.
View Quote
I doubt he will go for this and it seems to be part of the “barrier to entry” and a good one at that. He told me via PM that a local range which has a monthly scaled-to-100-yards HighPower Service Rifle event would be a handicap so I can’t imagine the 22LR 25M Appleseed would.

However doing an AS would make you more than capable of the maximum MOA required to score 70% when you go to a real event.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think the f2f networking is just as important as the physical/rifle aspects.
View Quote
Agreed, that's why I'll be there regardless.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#45]
OST
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag for future use
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My PE is in Aerospace Engineering. But, I can do an almost passable job on comms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Again, IMO.
I took my PE in Civil Construction and that was a toss up vs water resources or environmental as I have spent my career building water and wastewater facilities.  Spent many year surveying too, I may eventually go and get my LS. If we are looking for practical field side of engineering stuff, basic surveying, basics of structures, etc. I am happy to help with that.

I'm working on the physical fitness aspect now.

I am happy to help with comms too. I'm starting to round up parts for a  backpack HF rig....
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
any thoughts on how / if handicapped folks might participate?

Amputees / prosthesis / etc.

If this isn’t for them, it isn’t, life isn’t fair. Just throwing it out there.
View Quote
Sounds like it just isn't for everyone.

I'm middle-aged and reasonably fit with decent mobility but I'm under doctors orders to not hike distance or run. Too many metal parts in my leg.

No rank I'm eligible for if they all have a 3 mile minimum.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top