@Ben

Just to keep things official.

Illinois Battle Boys 3rd Class Qual 1st 6 mile hike
Date: 2/15/20
Locale: Springboork Prairie Naperville Il
Dist: 6 miles
Time:1:50:39
Avg Spd 3.3
45 pound or heavier pack (weighted on scale in front of each other)
Members that made the qual hike:
Slarti
SleepingBirdDog
TheRadBaron
Redbirdxx
View Quote
You guys rock!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...also explore radio upgrades or digital modes / applications you can use with your current radio like APRS and digital modes.
View Quote
I need to do this.

My HT has some basic APRS capabilities that I have yet to explore. I think it's time to correct that, thanks for the push.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I need to do this.

My HT has some basic APRS capabilities that I have yet to explore. I think it's time to correct that, thanks for the push.
View Quote
HMU if you want to experiment sending some APRS packets / screwing around to learn how to use the tech.  Yes, you can send an APRS packet to me all the way out here in MT with the right techniques / repeaters etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. I'm pretty much clueless when it come to APRS, had no idea it had the capabilities you mentioned. But now I'm even more intrigued.

I'm going to start poking around this evening...one current issue is my HT recently stopped talking to my computer. I'm either going to have to sort that out or see what I can do via front panel programming alone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

HMU if you want to experiment sending some APRS packets / screwing around to learn how to use the tech.  Yes, you can send an APRS packet to me all the way out here in MT with the right techniques / repeaters etc.
View Quote
Can APRS packets be encrypted so that every swinging dick out there doesn't know where I am?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can APRS packets be encrypted so that every swinging dick out there doesn't know where I am?
View Quote
Settings in the radio can make the GPS location ambiguous (think 6 digit vs 12 digit) but not encrypted.

In very remote locations that do not have APRS repeaters (think remote like central MT) it would just be radio to radio.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I’d broached the subject of encrypted APRS in another thread.  What I gleaned though there and digging elsewhere.

The long and short is, no. Even the radios popular for amateur use that support encryption don’t encrypt their APRS transmissions.

Commercial radios that will transmit their location over an encrypted signal (such as those used by police departments) are generally using a method proprietary to that manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Congrats.... Now get out and play on some repeaters so u get a better understanding of how things work and get some practice using the radio.... again, congrats.   How long did u study?
View Quote
Thanks, they told me it would take about 10 days before my callsign shows up.  I started messing around with my Baofeng. New antenna and programming cable is on the way.

I studied for a little over a week.  I used QRZ.com for practice tests and watched W4EEY's YouTube videos.  I took the general even though I hadn't studied and only missed it by 3 questions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can testify....to Redbirdxx's shape, he mercilessly led us on the 3 mile qual hike on Sunday while he was sick with the flu.......He didn't want to let the team down by not showing up on our first hike...
That's the kind of guy I want on my side.   Thanks Redbirdxx!
View Quote
Shit, I missed this somehow and just caught while looking for something else in this thread.

Thank for the backup, man. We have a solid group coming together that I'm proud to be a part of. I'm really glad I made that first hike, flu or not...

@Slarti
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
@Ben

We are getting started with our Battle Buddy group.  Being in North Texas we have no Battle Buddy leadership known to us.  I have started our DFW group.  I am new and have no Battle Buddy experience.

Our first hike should be able to get us provisional.  So my question is can become affiliated with ABB?  Or are we on our own since we have no official leadership here?

My plan is to take a scale, weigh packs and keep time.  Will this be sufficient or do we need something else to become provisional affiliates?

Thanks

DFW Battle Buddy thread
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@Ben

We are getting started with our Battle Buddy group.  Being in North Texas we have no Battle Buddy leadership known to us.  I have started our DFW group.  I am new and have no Battle Buddy experience.

Our first hike should be able to get us provisional.  So my question is can become affiliated with ABB?  Or are we on our own since we have no official leadership here?

My plan is to take a scale, weigh packs and keep time.  Will this be sufficient or do we need something else to become provisional affiliates?

Thanks

DFW Battle Buddy thread
View Quote
Yes you can affiliate, understanding that it is preferred you defer leadership to more experienced/qualified folks as they come onboard.

I'm developing a plan to do leadership training for those interested. For starters read "MCDP-1 Warfighting". After that, let me know and we will get you another recommendation.

As far as the scale goes, we actually never weigh packs here at NBB, and have kept weight based on the honor system. Only time we will weigh packs is for competitions. We need to be able to expect honesty of those around us, and to ourselves. Now if folks don't have a scale and want you to weigh their stuff, that is fine too. Nothing wrong with either approach.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For starters read "MCDP-1 Warfighting". After that, let me know and we will get you another recommendation.
View Quote
I'd also be interested in any recommended reading materials.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1, I would definitely be interested in any reading list you can put together.

I'm also curious as to structure and organization moving forward. We're moving along here pretty well in IL and will continue to to so, but a website or similar for guidance and reporting would be awesome. I think the group we have here will continue to progress regardless...but the but the catalyst for us getting together initially, which is the organization proposed this thread, remains rather nebulous.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm also curious as to structure and organization moving forward. We're moving along here pretty well in IL and will continue to to so, but a website or similar for guidance and reporting would be awesome. I think the group we have here will continue to progress regardless...but the but the catalyst for us getting together initially, which is the organization proposed this thread, remains rather nebulous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I promise the website is coming.

Would rather not launch a garbage website- and still pumping folks for photos. A lot of paranoid folks who think they will somehow get on a "list" for being a battle buddy-

You will. All kinds of lists. The best lists. And none you should be ashamed or afraid of. Like lists of competitors in CMP matches, or local volunteers for various public service stuff...

Be assured that nothing is being planned or executed in the overarching scheme here needlessly or without reason.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Would rather not launch a garbage website- and still pumping folks for photos. A lot of paranoid folks who think they will somehow get on a "list" for being a battle buddy-

You will. All kinds of lists. The best lists. And none you should be ashamed or afraid of. Like lists of competitors in CMP matches, or local volunteers for various public service stuff...
View Quote
At this point I'm ready to sign up onto whatever list I need.

Shane.  C.  Watson.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if I've seen it requested, but can we get a BB forum? I lose/miss threads as I don't always skim all  the pages of GD, I use my subscriptions and active topics. For example there have been hike threads that got duplicated between Hometown and GD and it was hard to follow as guys were posting in two places, at least the Hometown one was easy to find.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looking forward to it and I understand it's not an simple process, thank you for all your effort in this. What you're doing here is a great thing- just the concept has brought together a highly motivated group here IL, looking forward to the execution to give that motivation some direction.

Pictures, where to send them and what do you want? I'd be proud to have my image associated with this. I'll run it by the others to see how they feel and start getting some photos.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At this point I'm ready to sign up onto whatever list I need.

Shane.  C.  Watson.
View Quote
Amen. Pleased to meet you, Shane.

-Timothy A. Cone
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looking forward to it and I understand it's not an simple process, thank you for all your effort in this. What you're doing here is a great thing- just the concept has brought together a highly motivated group here IL, looking forward to the execution to give that motivation some direction.

Pictures, where to send them and what do you want? I'd be proud to have my image associated with this. I'll run it by the others to see how they feel and start getting some photos.
View Quote
Hike pictures especially, and any pictures folks have from rifle matches or just shooting in general. Also probably going to start packing Pioneer Tools on hikes so people don't start thinking we are just a hiking and shooting club.

Probably need a few pictures of various groups of 3 to 5 folks as well,particularly personable photos that convey the frie fly atmosphere we genuinely strive to maintain.

You can post photos here or in hike threads and I'll steal them if you give me permission to do so.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
In reference to reading materials....I found this.

MCDP 1 - Warfighting pdf format

@Nmbmxer
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hike pictures especially, and any pictures folks have from rifle matches or just shooting in general. Also probably going to start packing pioneer tools on hikes so people don't start thinking we are just a hiking and shooting club.
View Quote
Road marches need to pack trash bags!   I regretted not having one easily accessible last weekend at the Chancellorsville hike.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hike pictures especially, and any pictures folks have from rifle matches or just shooting in general. Also probably going to start packing pioneer tools on hikes so people don't start thinking we are just a hiking and shooting club.

Probably need a few pictures of various groups of 3 to 5 folks as well,particularly personable photos that convey the frie fly atmosphere we genuinely strive to maintain.

You can post photos here or in hike threads and I'll steal them if you give me permission to do so.
View Quote
What exactly are "Pioneer tools"....settlers with a bad attitude?   ??
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tools commonly utilized for wildland fire fighting and combat engineer tasks.

Shovels, picks, axes, chain saw...the list is extensive.

Military Pioneer Tool Kit
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think I want to walk around downtown SLC with a chainsaw.  I wouldn't even get a second look at home, but in SLC it might go over well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just for fun I decided to bing "pioneer tools"....and the survey says!

16 Pioneer Tools You Need to Survive

A fire starter.
Heirloom garden seeds.
A hatchet or ax.
Wheat grinder/home flour mill.
Cast iron skillet.
Dutch oven.
Sourdough starter.
A good knife set.
Hunting rifle.
Dried herbs.
Let's party!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know if I've seen it requested, but can we get a BB forum? I lose/miss threads as I don't always skim all  the pages of GD, I use my subscriptions and active topics. For example there have been hike threads that got duplicated between Hometown and GD and it was hard to follow as guys were posting in two places, at least the Hometown one was easy to find.
View Quote
There is already a BB Forum, but right now it is Virginia Battle Buddies specific. You can get an invite by having a Battle buddy who knows you push your info to the site owner.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know if anyone cares but this is my favorite wildland tool. It's pretty solid for grubbing and makes quick work of brush and roots. I can cut a control line through moderate brush with one tool, if you were trailbuilding or maintaining a trail it would be pretty handy as well.

https://roguehoe.com/product/70h-the-highlander/
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In reference to reading materials....I found this.

MCDP 1 - Warfighting pdf format

@Nmbmxer
View Quote
Kindle Link:

Warfighting: The US Marine Corps Book of Strategy - A.M. Gray
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:02:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't know if anyone cares but this is my favorite wildland tool. It's pretty solid for grubbing and makes quick work of brush and roots. I can cut a control line through moderate brush with one tool, if you were trailbuilding or maintaining a trail it would be pretty handy as well.

https://roguehoe.com/product/70h-the-highlander/
View Quote
I’ll 2nd this. Rogue hoe/rhino.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're gonna need a bigger rucksack...
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's why we need a Calvary corps for guys who like atv's and sxs's more than hiking :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is one of several variations of pioneer kit based on the mission at hand, and is split amongst a squad.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's why we need a Calvary corps for guys who like atv's and sxs's more than hiking :)
View Quote
What do ATV's and SXS's have to do with the place where Jesus was crucified?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/unnamed-1281584.jpg
Speaking of...what are the kind of packs guys are using for these hikes?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/unnamed-1281584.jpg
I typically use an ALICE pack, but we have a wide range of packs out there. Strongly recommend a pack with an external frame.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use an ALICE pack with external frame, and with belt and shoulder straps from a MOLLE rucksack, called a Hellcat.  There is a thread somewhere in the tactical gear or outdoor forum on how to build them.

ETA external blog post here https://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com/2011/04/building-hellcat-hybrid-ruck-from-us.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Autocorrect was in both places, hiding the background lying in wait to make a post look stupid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use an ALICE pack with external frame, and with belt and shoulder straps from a MOLLE rucksack, called a Hellcat.  There is a thread somewhere in the tactical gear or outdoor forum on how to build them.

ETA external blog post here https://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com/2011/04/building-hellcat-hybrid-ruck-from-us.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.  I still have a couple of them knocking about that I’ll look into modifying.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#39]
The Northeast chapter of the Florida Battle Buddies met up for our first hike on 2/16. 4 of us met up for this hike. What a great group of people! I had a blast meeting up with like minded people and being part of something.

We finished the 6 miles coming in at 2 hours 9 minutes, just a bit above the time limit. Those of us that wore packs had weights ranging from 35 lbs to 45 lbs. We didn’t make the qualifications for 3rd Class but we did meet the qualifications for Provisional Class.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Northeast chapter of the Florida Battle Buddies met up for our first hike on 2/16. 4 of us met up for this hike. What a great group of people! I had a blast meeting up with like minded people and being part of something.

We finished the 6 miles coming in at 2 hours 9 minutes, just a bit above the time limit. Those of us that wore packs had weights ranging from 35 lbs to 45 lbs. We didn’t make the qualifications for 3rd Class but we did meet the qualifications for Provisional Class.
View Quote

The more you hike the more fun you'll have and the easier it gets
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#41]
We used AllTrails for our hike. You can find hikes which is helpful but you can also record your hike for mileage and the best part is that it displays pacing information. We held 18min/mile and that gave time to change jackets and take a minute or two stop halfway.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#42]
SE PA group checking in. We did a bit over 6 miles on the Schuykll River Trail this morning. Two of us packed rifles plus 35lb pack (It saved my about 2 lbs) and the balance opted for 45 lb packs.

Four others showed up on short notice and we made time without issues, but lessons were learned. Next event is planned for March 21. Looking forward to seeing you all again, plus hopefully a few new faces.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#43]
SE Pa BBAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Feetsies are not as tough as they were in the corps.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Yuuuuup

Ask me how I learned about Luepkto tape lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yuuuuup

Ask me how I learned about Luepkto tape lol
View Quote
Oh there’s more and bigger on the balls of my feet but too nasty to post lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Can this photo be used on our website?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Wrapping the rifle with a shamagh I think can help mitigate locals calling the police and interrupting the timed ruck if you are in an urban area.
Some of our guys adapted and improvised and use coats they were not wearing or became to hot to wear anymore.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would say yes,  but I would request that the other guys from our ruck agree upon it first.  If Dlm1984 can reach them and get approval I’m good with it!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would say yet, but I would request that the other guys from our ruck agree upon it first.  If Dlm1984 can reach them and get approval I’m good with it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say yet, but I would request that the other guys from our ruck agree upon it first.  If Dlm1984 can reach them and get approval I’m good with it!
Fine with me.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top