Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is a vast, vast difference between believing that liberty is the highest political/governmental aspiration, and the belief that it is or should be the highest personal aspiration.

We have certainly killed off a large part of societal norms that kept political liberty tempered with duty though.
View Quote

Believing that liberty comes from letting people that make bad choices choose how everyone else has to live is a sign of mental illness.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, I support your claim for Augustus but only if I get command of a legion for the conquest of Canadia.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom GD 2008:  Oh no, if Obama is elected, the United States is dead.  
Arfcom DG 2012:  Oh no, if Obama is re-elected, the United States is dead.  
Arfcom GD 2016:  Oh, no, if Hillary is elected, the United States is dead.  
Arfcom GD 2020:  Oh no, if Biden is elected, the United States is dead.  

RustedAce:  Hey guys, maybe the system that gives us rulers like this (and all the assholes in Congress) is a BAD system, and a more established and conservative system would be better.

Afrcom GD:  Grrrr. How dare you!! (literally shaking) Muh democracy and muh voting!!  Burn the witch!
How naive do you have to be to think a more conservative system wouldn't get you the same leaders?    You think the system determines the leaders?  I think the system is just a mobile above a babies crib giving us something to look at.

People will always seek power and play whatever game is required to achieve it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/king-2884306.jpg
Regicide is a thing and works.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
This could have been an interesting discussion if the opening hadn’t been so counterproductive.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s amazing the level of propaganda that has been gulped up just accepting the enlightenment as the greatest thing ever.

So much so that there are people in here defending abject far left nonsense as “right wing conservatism”.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227964/Lolbertarian_jpg-2884197.JPG

Pls no bully the berts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't care about labels, just leave me alone.
View Quote

"Those who want to be left alone lose to those who want to win."
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is a vast, vast difference between believing that liberty is the highest political/governmental aspiration, and the belief that it is or should be the highest personal aspiration.

We have certainly killed off a large part of societal norms that kept political liberty tempered with duty though.
View Quote

Imo, the result of secularism.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It’s amazing the level of propaganda that has been gulped up just accepting the enlightenment as the greatest thing ever.

So much so that there are people in here defending abject far left nonsense as “right wing conservatism”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We've been living in the decay of Western civilization since the EnLigHtEnMeNT.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Believing that liberty comes from letting people that make bad choices choose how everyone else has to live is a sign of mental illness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paternalism is based. Social cohesion is based.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
and yet when given a choice societies always gravitate toward some form of democracy.  It's fun to discuss ideas, one of the reason I like this place, but historically people have chosen democracy.   It's kind of like evolution. I don't know exactly why humans have the traits we have, but the one thing we can say is that the traits that we have helped us survive.   so far.

Monarchies only persist when the ruler is uncommonly just, or the subjects don't have the physical ability to remove them.

The best of both worlds is what we have, believe it or not. We have a representative republic and retain the ability to rebel against the government if it's unwilling to be responsive to the people.   In our system the people are the ultimate authority.

It's ugly, noisy, dirty, partially corrupt, get's nearly nothing done, and generally is inefficient.   Just the way it was designed.

The alternative is as bad or worse.  The issue isn't the system really, it's human nature. Any system of government is subject to human character flaws.  Our current system mitigates those flaws as well or better than any other I've seen.  It reflects the character of the nation it represents, which is understandably uncomfortable.

It's not easy but I can't make an honest case for any other system being better over the long haul.   They all existed or still exist around the world.  Point out a non-democracy that's faired better.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]

The Enlightenment lead to the emancipation of women, which in turn lead to globohomo tyranny.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
and yet when given a choice societies always gravitate toward some form of democracy.  It's fun to discuss ideas, one of the reason I like this place, but historically people have chosen democracy.   It's kind of like evolution. I don't know exactly why humans have the traits we have, but the one thing we can say is that the traits that we have helped us survive.   so far.

Monarchies only persist when the ruler is uncommonly just, or the subjects don't have the physical ability to remove them.

The best of both worlds is what we have, believe it or not. We have a representative republic and retain the ability to rebel against the government if it's unwilling to be responsive to the people.   In our system the people are the ultimate authority.

It's ugly, noisy, dirty, partially corrupt, get's nearly nothing done, and generally is inefficient.   Just the way it was designed.

The alternative is as bad or worse.  The issue isn't the system really, it's human nature. Any system of government is subject to human character flaws.  Our current system mitigates those flaws as well or better than any other I've seen.  It reflects the character of the nation it represents, which is understandably uncomfortable.

It's not easy but I can't make an honest case for any other system being better over the long haul.   They all existed or still exist around the world.  Point out a non-democracy that's faired better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Societies gravitate to autocracy.

Biological realism (hierarchical autocracy) is anathema to liberalism.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif

View Quote
Modern societies?

My point was monarchy was the standard now it's not.  How many actual functioning divine right monarchies still exist?  Democracy is the dominant system now.

If we view that as the evolution of ideas, the fact that they became dominant means they must provide some advantage.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

When taken in context past a 200 year old lens, Democracy is historically viewed with a negative connotation.

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Modern societies?

My point was monarchy was the standard now it's not.  How many actual functioning divine right monarchies still exist?  Democracy is the dominant system for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern societies?

My point was monarchy was the standard now it's not.  How many actual functioning divine right monarchies still exist?  Democracy is the dominant system for now.

fixed that for you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

fixed that for you.
View Quote
OK, and if that changes so will my argument.  My argument is empirical.

I understand the reaction to the complete shit show that is our political system, but I think it's intentional.  It was designed to barely work and to change often, while retaining some basic ideas that were harder to change.  Guard rails if you will.

Our constitution structures and limits government, not citizens.   Which means the priority of a newly created government was the constraint on what it saw as it's greatest threat.  Itself.  

How many times has a government both recognized it's own inherent flaws and then taken solid steps to limit it's own power?  Only a handful of monarchs have even done something like that, and almost never by choice.

Just because we are fucking it up, doesn't mean it's a bad system.  It means we are fuck ups.   That's the bitch about democracy, you just might get what you vote for, good and hard.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Which is PRECISELY why they shouldn't be given a choice.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/7h17nw-2884411.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... and yet when given a choice societies always gravitate toward some form of democracy.  

Which is PRECISELY why they shouldn't be given a choice.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/7h17nw-2884411.jpg
The Founders disliked the Crown, they didn't dislike the method of government the Crown used. There is specifically a reason why our method of government was basically a monarchy without a monarch ans why the common people couldn't actually have a say in how and who became the head of said government. Democracy is dangerous.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Our constitution structures and limits government, not citizens.
View Quote

What is a government?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
American Conservatism purportedly "conserves" The Constitution. The Constitution is by its very nature a very very very leftist document.

There is no "right" in America, there are only varying degrees of leftism.

If you do not support a return to Divine Right Monarchy you are by very definition not right wing.

You are a leftist.

Just accept it.
View Quote

Suck the D that screws the Q.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Double
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Guess what system of government allowed Hitler to rise to power?

That's right - a constitutional federal republic.

People often forget that Hitler didn't end up the dictator of a one-party state as a result of revolution or coup or anything like that.  He came to power in a completely legal way in a democratic constitutional republic. (The Reichstag Fire Decree by President Hindenburg was legal and consistent with the Weimar Republic Constitution, which means that the Enabling Law of 1933 was legal.)
View Quote

To be fair, the Treaty of Versailles had a pretty measurable impact as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Prove me wrong.

(You cannot.)
View Quote

Hunter wants his crack pipe back brah!

Noone can prove you wrong...u fail to accept basic definitions the rest of the world agrees upon
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Based, also this thread shows just how many leftists we have.
View Quote

It's sad, isn't it?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

“Left bad, I no left, I good, I conservative, conservative good, not left, left bad.”

That’s about the extent of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something tells me 99% of gd’s beliefs are what they’re told to believe.

“Left bad, I no left, I good, I conservative, conservative good, not left, left bad.”

That’s about the extent of it.

The lack of critical thinking in this thread is astonishing. Your succinct summary of the in the closet leftists will be ignored.

Whoever rated this thread Troll needs to crack open a history book or two.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I mean the Roman republic existed from like 500BC up until the battle of Actium
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey jackass, we cast off the euro model of politics when we kicked the British out.

We did?

I'm pretty sure democracy and republics are European inventions.

Do we not live in a republic?

I mean the Roman republic existed from like 500BC up until the battle of Actium

But smoothbrains here think the Republican form of government is not European.

The Ron Swanson meme of American "conservatives" is sadly accurate, and that is a meme made to mock them, yet "hurrr, durrrr history began on July 4th, 1776, hurrrr durrrr".
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Maybe your copy but mine is silent on the vast majority of bigger federal government mandates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:The Constitution is by its very nature a very very very leftist document.

Maybe your copy but mine is silent on the vast majority of bigger federal government mandates.

Federal, maybe. There was still the apparatus within the Constitution to allow the Federal government and state governments to become what we have today.

How is that conservative?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#32]
The French revolution had not yet occurred so, technically you can't really use the "left/right" thing to describe the US Constitution.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Modern societies?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern societies?

Name a modern society on the planet today which has decentralized on a large scale.

I can think of only one you could possibly make the claim to on a geopolitical stage, but at the national level they have consistently elected politicians which grow the size of that government, giving less and less rights to its citizens.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The French revolution had not yet occurred so, technically you can't really use the "left/right" thing to describe the US Constitution.
View Quote

What about the Magna Carta?

Would you describe a Constutional Monarchy as more or less progressive than an Absolute Monarchy?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I believe in the divine right of one particular king, and patiently await his return.

Until then...
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227964/Lolbertarian_jpg-2884197.JPG

ACCELLERATE
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck jury duty
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How naive do you have to be to think a more conservative system wouldn't get you the same leaders?    You think the system determines the leaders?  I think the system is just a mobile above a babies crib giving us something to look at.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom GD 2008:  Oh no, if Obama is elected, the United States is dead.  
Arfcom DG 2012:  Oh no, if Obama is re-elected, the United States is dead.  
Arfcom GD 2016:  Oh, no, if Hillary is elected, the United States is dead.  
Arfcom GD 2020:  Oh no, if Biden is elected, the United States is dead.  

RustedAce:  Hey guys, maybe the system that gives us rulers like this (and all the assholes in Congress) is a BAD system, and a more established and conservative system would be better.

Afrcom GD:  Grrrr. How dare you!! (literally shaking) Muh democracy and muh voting!!  Burn the witch!

Not if we had a free market libertarian system. If we had that, everyone would abide by the NonAgression principle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#39]
doesnt matter. most of you will get popped by homeskillet with a taurus when leaving for work in the morning once the starving begins.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Enlightenment lead to the emancipation of women, which in turn lead to globohomo tyranny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Governance must be done by logic not emotion. Women are the symptom, the problem is suffrage in general.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Governance must be done by logic not emotion. Women are the symptom, the problem is suffrage in general.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I love these threads.
People hate to believe reality.
So called conservatives, butthurt in these threads is just an added bonus
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#43]
In a land of varied minds and dreams,
Where thoughts traverse like flowing streams,
There stood an American, staunch and strong,
A conservative, to whom principles belong.

With steadfast beliefs, he took his stand,
In a world shaped by an intricate hand,
But little did he grasp, in his resolute plight,
That his very foundation was bathed in left's light.

For woven in the fabric of his noble creed,
Lies the essence of change, he failed to heed,
In valuing freedom, he embraced the lore,
Of progress, justice, and equality galore.

Unaware of the paradox he couldn't perceive,
His conservative heart, in left's roots does cleave,
For it was on their shoulders that he stood,
The foundation laid, yet misunderstood.

The pursuit of liberty, a cornerstone shared,
But his understanding, like whispers aired,
Failed to see the interplay, the subtle dance,
Between the left and right, in governance.

The conservative soul, so firmly aligned,
Yet influenced by the left, intricately entwined,
For the bounds of tradition, in their essence true,
Have roots in a past, where change was pursued.

Through movements of progress, they paved the way,
To challenge norms and shape a brighter day,
And so, dear conservative, recognize the truth,
That your worldview is framed within left's couth.

Embrace the synergy, the blend of thoughts,
For in the balance, true wisdom is sought,
Together, ideologies ebb and flow,
Forging a nation, where diverse winds blow.

So let not your stance be a one-sided quest,
But a tapestry of beliefs, put to the test,
For in understanding the framework of your view,
You'll see the tapestry of ideas, both old and new.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Would you describe a Constutional Monarchy as more or less progressive than an Absolute Monarchy?
View Quote

What about the Magna Carta.   Pretty sure the French National Assembly didn't exist yet so it would be pretty hard for anyone to pick a side of it to sit on.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What about the Magna Carta.   Pretty sure the French National Assembly didn't exist yet so it would be pretty hard for anyone to pick a side of it to sit on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Progressives end goal is and always has been globohomo world domination. To do that they must convince us the old ways were bad and lure us with the glitter of sun and the thinks it will win. Have you counted the cost?  Return to God
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Progressives end goal is and always has been globohomo world domination. To do that they must convince us the old ways were bad and lure us with the glitter of sun and the thinks it will win. Have you counted the cost?  Return to God
View Quote

Not regressive enough.   Everything went to shit with the opposable thumb.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#47]
You are all in a RustedAce shitpoast.

Please to enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean limbs?  Satan in the garden of Eden had limbs and they were revoked. Return to Protozoa.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You accept the paradigm that the "left" is more progressive than the "right," correct?

If so, is Constutional Monarchy more or less progressive than Absolute Monarchy?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct. The founding fathers didn't right a war just to throw away the power of governance to the hoi polloi.

"And those people should not be listened to who keep saying the voice of the people is the voice of God, since the riotousness of the crowd is always very close to madness" - Alcuin 798 AD
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top