Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/9/2013 12:43:11 PM EDT
I've heard not to keep ammo in your gun safe but I know people that keep their gun safes loaded with ammo.

Curious what everyone thinks about this.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My guns take up all the room!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why not?

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

yeah no shit where is this ammo going to go in there?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
In for ridiculous "Gonna axeplod!" reason.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the only reason is that you are putting highly flammable materials into something designed to keep the firearms safe in case of fire.  

In a cabinet - no problem whatsoever.

In a heavy fire safe - kinda undermining your safe, possibly insurance issues?

Edit:  I'm not saying it's gonna explode...just that primers go off at a couple hundred degrees and gunpowder includes its own oxidizer - if the safe gets anywhere near hot in a fire, you could have a big damn mess inside and have mitigated the purpose of the safe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
As valuable as ammo is now days, I can certainly see why someone would.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a separate safe for ammo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep mine in the safe, just for theft purposes. It's not going to turn the safe into a bomb - it will just pop off in the safe... the only time it's really dangerous is if you leave it chambered in a barrel inside the safe, at which point it could cook off and shoot through the (fire compromised) safe.

If it's hot enough to set off the ammo, the plastic on your guns is probably all melting by now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh noes ... gonna splode.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
For less experienced gun owners, it is often times recommended that ammo and guns not be stored in the same location for gun safety reasons. It falls along the lines of keeping firearms unloaded when not in use. Separating the location of ammo and the location of firearms make loading a firearm much more difficult. This idea would transfer to a gun safe.

More experienced firearm owners can safely disregard this recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]

I use boxes of ammo to raise up my carbines so they reach the racks.

Win-Win.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Takes up extra space, but it does add weight, which isn't a bad thing for a safe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the reasons they say to keep your ammo seperate from your guns is for safety reasons. Should curious hands manage to get into your gun safe they will also have access to your ammo if you keep it there as well.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

One of the reasons they say to keep your ammo seperate from your guns is for safety reasons. Should curious hands manage to get into your gun safe they will also have access to your ammo if you keep it there as well.

Wouldn't you then have to change the name to something other than 'safe'?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never heard not to.

I personally do not keep a round chambered at home, however, when I'm sleeping or just sitting around.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]
takes up the valuable space for guns
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This, time to call the liberty safe distributor. My wife is gonna shit, fk it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have a single gun that's not cocked, locked and ready to rock
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't you then have to change the name to something other than 'safe'?  

Hey, it happens.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#21]
i keep my ammo in my safe along with anything else shiny & worth of value.  I eat, sleep & shit with my AR.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Win-Win.

Great minds think alike!  Cases fit in thaf section perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#23]
You'd be crazy not to keep your ammo in your safe. Of course that's where you put it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Win-Win.

Great minds think alike!  Cases fit in thaf section perfectly.

I have to use Glock cases (each with a pistol in it of course) in mine to do the same.

Must get a bigger safe...

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#25]
For space reasons I keep all my ammo in its own "safe" cabinet.

I picked up a wall locker from a .gov auction several years ago and bolted it to the wall in my garage, installed two lock hasps on the door and use two different keyed locks on it. I've got approx. 13k rounds in various calibers in it and I could easily double the quantity with plenty of room to spare. I also keep mags and other shooting supplies in there.

Why all the security? Teenage son with lots of friends that used to hang out at the house.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never heard not to.

I personally do not keep a round chambered at home, however, when I'm sleeping or just sitting around.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/59674-Handgun-safety-rules-and-procedures/

- ALWAYS STORE YOUR FIREARM UNLOADED.

- Your firearm and ammunition should be stored separately in places and in a manner inaccessible to children and unauthorized persons.

That said... I keep mine stored together....

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I keep some odds and ends type ammo, as well as opened boxes of self defense ammo.  The rest goes into the three cabinets next to the safe.  I already have some of my shotguns stored in a locked cabinet elsewhere in the house because I ran out of room in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#28]
My safe is fire resistant to a specific temperature, but I have no room in my safe since it's filled with guns.  If you have the room, put it in your safe...there's no harm in doing so.  Just give me your address and the combination and I'll keep an eye on everything for you.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/59674-Handgun-safety-rules-and-procedures/

- Your firearm and ammunition should be stored separately in places and in a manner inaccessible to children and unauthorized persons.

I meant not to store AMMO in a safe.

I carry in my apartment, once I get to the point I'm about to sleep or just sit around on the couch, I un-chamber the round and put it back in the mag and load it into the primary. My AR and another handgun keep mags in them, just not chambered.

If my apartment was set up differently, it'd be cocked, no doubt..

But, you basically have to go through 2 dead bolted doors to get into my unit, this isn't including the standard entry to the building. To get to my bedroom where the rest of the toys are, there are 2 more doors to pass through with regular locks. Essentially, someone has to go through 4 doors to get to me and the wife while we sleep, lol. My main handgun isn't always cocked, but it's always next to me in the apartment.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I only buy ammo that says its safe to store in the safe.. Look for it on the box.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So full of win....
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#32]
We keep all our powders, primers & finished ammo in a locked cupboard, simply for the reason that safes generally don't have blast panels...

Not that there's any room left in the safes!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't have room for ammo in my safe.  I do have some loaded magazines in there but that is for convience when I get out CCWs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I gave all my ammo to the Salvation Army after my horrendous boating accident that cost me all of my guns.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Win-Win.

LOL, I do this with ammo cans full of ammo.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yep.  An unloaded gun is just a lousy club.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I  like stacking cans in them... The added weight makes it harder to steal.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For space reasons I keep all my ammo in its own "safe" cabinet.

I picked up a wall locker from a .gov auction several years ago and bolted it to the wall in my garage, installed two lock hasps on the door and use two different keyed locks on it. I've got approx. 13k rounds in various calibers in it and I could easily double the quantity with plenty of room to spare. I also keep mags and other shooting supplies in there.

Why all the security? Teenage son with lots of friends that used to hang out at the house.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/desertrider_bucket/DSCF0003_zpsc33934d8.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc297/desertrider_bucket/DSCF0004_zps8920c910.jpg

Now that's dangerous. You will break a leg trying to get to the locker...

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I only buy ammo that says its safe to store in the safe.. Look for it on the box.

never once seen this
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.

If you have room in the safe for ammo, you don't have enough guns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
If you have room in the safe for ammo, you don't have enough guns.
And most people's safes are already heavy enough to visit the floor below without a few hundred pounds of lead added...

Ammo should be in ammo cans if possible because then you can store it anywhere. My basement gets a little damp here and there but my cans keep my ammo dry and safe.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I put mine in 50 cal ammo cans inside my safe.

It's s big safe.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I don't see the point in this, how many can you use at once?

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I meant not to store AMMO in a safe.

I carry in my apartment, once I get to the point I'm about to sleep or just sit around on the couch, I un-chamber the round and put it back in the mag and load it into the primary. My AR and another handgun keep mags in them, just not chambered.

If my apartment was set up differently, it'd be cocked, no doubt..

But, you basically have to go through 2 dead bolted doors to get into my unit, this isn't including the standard entry to the building. To get to my bedroom where the rest of the toys are, there are 2 more doors to pass through with regular locks. Essentially, someone has to go through 4 doors to get to me and the wife while we sleep, lol. My main handgun isn't always cocked, but it's always next to me in the apartment.
You shouldn't keep re-cambering a round it gets pushed back in the case each time you do that.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why not?

Waste of space?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see the point in this, how many can you use at once?

I'd rather not find out. Maybe I need to grab them all quick, hand one to each family member and book it out of town. Maybe I'm holed up and sincerely fucked and I actually have to have them laid out, dry one up, drop it and move to the next. Maybe maybe maybe. Who knows. What I do know is this - An unloaded gun is fucking worthless and I don't need to learn that the hard way.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Buy a separate safe for ammo.

That

Shit's too expensive and hard to replace to leave just laying around
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a separate safe for bulk ammo(in ammo cans) and the bulk
Of my loaded magazines. I keep a few loaded magazines in the gun safe just in case.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Since I don't own any handguns, I put ammo in a shelf in my safe. What else am I going to put there?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top