Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep at least one mag loaded for every weapon in my gun safe. I am lucky enough to have two safes. My old safe became my ammo safe when I upgraded.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No problem with it fire wise.  A loaded weapon can pierce the cheap stack on safes and then you just invited fire inside but most decent safes can handle an internal hit.

The best solution is to put your safe in an area with a relatively low fuel load.  Low fuel load and stuff falling on it from above will protect the safe and it's contents.

The bigger issue that most people don't think of when placing their safe is to prevent water intrusion should your basement flood in the event of a fire.  Mine sits a foot and a half off the ground.  with the lip of the safe another 6" up.

Good info here. We are in the process of redoing our Garage. May put the safes up higher for just that reason....
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been thinking about getting a Job Box or something to store ammo in. When I bought my safe, I thought it was big enough... it's not, and the ammo in it is taking up precious space.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guns take up all the room!

This.

If you have room in the safe for ammo, you don't have enough guns.

That's when you need a second safe just for your ammo.  I'm looking at that being my operating plan before long.  It justifies buying a bigger gun safe and using the current safe as my secure ammo locker.

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
One of the reasons they say to keep your ammo seperate from your guns is for safety reasons. Should curious hands manage to get into your gun safe they will also have access to your ammo if you keep it there as well.

Wouldn't you then have to change the name to something other than 'safe'?  

Hey, it happens.

If it does, please rent me your kids- I need to borrow them one night for a bank run.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top