Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2020 10:30:51 AM EDT
Friday, there will be a BLM protest to tear down a statue near me, and I was considering going as a defender.  I was considering bringing a braced ar15 as it seemed to be an excellent tool for the job.  Then realized last night that I can not easily legally carry an ar15 pistol (or my sig MPX).

In Texas, long guns can be open carried.  Pistol's also can be open carried with a license - which I have.  The problem is pistols must be holstered.  I guess someone makes an ar15 holster, but that is not a hoop I care to jump through.  I am sure others have thought about this before - and maybe there is a flaw in my logic.  But I have not, and I don't see it.  Please educate me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Scabbard?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
or just carry a 16" rifle?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Is a sling fundamentally different than a holster?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This, carry a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, a good holster will completely cover the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
There's no legal definition of holster in Texas in regards to open carry, must just be a belt or shoulder holster, so no ankle open carrying that bitch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

So sling and one of those trigger guards?  Does that make OP “compliant?”
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Use an old cowboy boot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Desantis DSD should holster an ar like a boss
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's no legal definition of holster in Texas in regards to open carry, must just be a belt or shoulder holster, so no ankle open carrying that bitch.
View Quote

I l would love to see someone ankle carry an AR pistol....preferably with Duct tape.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't really want to deal with carrying stamps - so yes, will carry a 16" rifle.  Maybe an ar15, maybe a Marlin, maybe pull out the surplus A2 upper...
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I bet the protesters won't be this concerned with breaking laws.

Carry a rifle and/or a concealed pistol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#16]

The official holster of the big igloo
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#17]

only if the mustache comes with the scabbord
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Where does it say a pistol has to be holstered?

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Put the pistol in a cheap molle hydration carrier.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Friday, there will be a BLM protest to tear down a statue near me, and I was considering going as a defender.  I was considering bringing a braced ar15 as it seemed to be an excellent tool for the job.  Then realized last night that I can not easily legally carry an ar15 pistol (or my sig MPX).

In Texas, long guns can be open carried.  Pistol's also can be open carried with a license - which I have.  The problem is pistols must be holstered.  I guess someone makes an ar15 holster, but that is not a hoop I care to jump through.  I am sure others have thought about this before - and maybe there is a flaw in my logic.  But I have not, and I don't see it.  Please educate me if I am wrong.
View Quote

somebody made on out of an old cowboy boot. actually looked reasonable for what it was...
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Fershitsakes, stop thinking and sling it. I thought Texas was full of brave men.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#22]
texas says belt or shoulder holster. the law doesn't define holster.

the definition i found of "holster" is this:
hol·ster
/'holst?r/

noun
a holder for carrying a handgun or other firearm, typically made of leather and worn on a belt or under the arm.

Sounds like a sling meets that definition to me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Can you supply the details of the protest (such as location and time)?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't find the link, but Abbott okayed open carry, whether licensed or not, while we're under a declared state of emergency. I'm thinking, depending on what area you're in, they're not going to be too concerned with what you're carrying and how you're carrying it unless things really go south.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Legally speaking in Texas, what makes it a "holster"?
View Quote

Texas law does not define what a holster is, so it would most likely default to what the ordinary meaning is for the term.

Most definitions of "holster" define it as a case or sheathlike device for carrying a firearm, so a sling would not fit that definition.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Friday, there will be a BLM protest to tear down a statue near me, and I was considering going as a defender.  I was considering bringing a braced ar15 as it seemed to be an excellent tool for the job.  
View Quote

.....not to be That Guy, but......

What part of "defender" does the AR serve, in this case?  You're either going to stand around and look impotent (as you don't dare get close enough for the Usual Suspects to tussle with you, because you might end up using said AR and going to jail), which doesn't help Our Side, or you are going to aggressively get hands on with one or more Usual Suspects, they'll grab at your AR or sling, you'll either lose the weapon or use it....and you'll go to jail, which doesn't help Our Side.

Sure, it could turn out like Brandenberg, and too many locals show up RTG for the Usual Suspects to feel comfy going hands on.....but that was in small town Kentucky.  We've already had it demonstrated, repeatedly, that once there's enough Usual Suspects, they lose their fear of dudes standing around in plate carriers with ARs.

For these kinds of things, the rifles and overt weapons shouldn't show until it's time to pull the trigger from 300yds.

You're far better off with a concealed handgun, in this case, especially if you think you might have to lay hands on someone.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#27]
This seems pretty Texas.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
texas says belt or shoulder holster. the law doesn't define holster.

the definition i found of "holster" is this:
hol·ster
/'holst?r/

noun
a holder for carrying a handgun or other firearm, typically made of leather and worn on a belt or under the arm.

Sounds like a sling meets that definition to me.
View Quote

Would you care to wager your right to keep and bear arms on finding a jury that would accept that definition? I wouldn't.

Of course I live in a free state where you can carry without getting permission.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't find the link, but Abbott okayed open carry, whether licensed or not, while we're under a declared state of emergency. I'm thinking, depending on what area you're in, they're not going to be too concerned with what you're carrying and how you're carrying it unless things really go south.
View Quote

I believe the area also has to be under mandatory evacuation orders too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#31]

I want to argue but I can’t.

That does seem pretty Texas.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Just bring a rifle.

I would also wear a gopro and probably carry mace.  Maybe even get one of those 360 gopros so its easier to tell your side of the story.

ETA: Check all the local laws and rules before bringing mace.  If an incident happens make sure you're very vocal about wanting to deescalate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is a link to the even from Hometown.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/June-19th-in-Gonzales-/8-644928/

Come and Defend It - Facebook page

The following youtube was borrowed from The State Of Texas Delivers A 'Simple' Message To Rioters Thinking About Trashing The Alamo - thread

The TV live feed that day kept saying it was mostly a peaceful protest, while showing rioters smashing windows and looting.  I certainly did not see them show any of this violence.  The restraint showed by TITFF was remarkable.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Streetwseeper or other high-cap shotgun is the answer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Will you be taking other options like mace, slungshot, bayonet, etc?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I’d put the MPX or AR pistol (depending on your setup) in a backpack with a plate and conceal a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Texas law changed last September.  We had some very shitty other weapon laws.  A am reluctant to research it myself, then need to trust that the local law enforcement has actually done their research.  When I was at last years Come and Take it celebration, I was talking casually with an off duty out of uniform LOE (don't know which department he worked for) - he was blatantly wrong about the recent law changes and I ended up biting my tongue and asking him to research (something I already knew) for me in hopes he would educate himself.  Before last September, you could have argued that carrying an long gun without ammo was illegal - because carrying clubs was.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dutch hercules requires a sling.  or duct tape.

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Just carry a rifle, and put an A2 stock on it. Nothing says FU like a butt stroke to the noggin.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a company that makes a kydex trigger guard cover for an AR that has a short lanyard.

Connect lanyard to forend or your belt, quick jerk and your G2G.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Shut it down boys, the work is done here
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Sometimes a very basic lightweight 16" carbine is just the ticket.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Concealed in waist band?

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Of course I live in a free state where you can carry without getting permission.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Where does it say a pistol has to be holstered?

View Quote

Texas Penal Code Chapter 46 requires unconcealed handguns to be carried in a shoulder or belt holster.

If you had a belt holster for an AR-15, I do not know if the belt holster has to be actually attached to the belt and by what means.

Say you had a break a way holster that wrapped around an AR-15 pistol and it was attached with paracord to the belt. Would that be legal? Would you take a ride downtown? These are all questions to ponder.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Get a  stamp and call it a day..
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Here are some future options but nothing you can get on short notice.  I would personally throw a 16 inch upper and stock on it then call it a day.  Good luck man.

https://www.evike.com/products/78177/

http://www.militaryassaultgear.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=542       - link left cold since it won't work with a hot link

https://jxtactical.com/product/ar-m-4-rifle-holster/

Edit : Fixed
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#50]
OP, I've had the same question.  I thought about designing a belt-slide big enough for an AR pistol.  

I wonder if you could fit an AR pistol in this and adjust it to work as a shoulder holster?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z99URM/ref=dp_cerb_1

Another option would be one of the backpacks designed for carrying an AR pistol or SBR.  I think they have some sort of quick pull release to open the pack.

You could also carry it concealed in your mandolin case slung over your shoulder or slung across your chest.  Not as quick to retrieve as a regular handgun on your belt but pretty quick.

Just a few thoughts to ponder.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top