BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

OS updates are not necessarily important. In fact, the y often times help the process of planned obsolescence.
I've had great success with my Android based phones, and guess what - they don't need updates to continue funtioning perfectly.

I guess your Apple phones need help along the way, and that's OK too.

A.W.D.
View Quote
Security patching, it's important. There is a reason us IT guys do it on the regular.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My 5C is four years old and I hear the next update is going to likely kill it because it won't be able to handle it... so you get that too.

Just rumors I have heard, I am going to run it until it dies.

I greatly dislike no external memory, I am thinking this will by last apple for that reason.
View Quote
If I'm going to be completely honest, this is the biggest thing that keeps me off the iPhone and certain Android phones.

Secondary would be if it acts like USB mass storage or not. Honestly, I don't know if they do or not anymore.

Those would be annoying. Everything else is preference.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Security patching, it's important. There is a reason us IT guys do it on the regular.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

OS updates are not necessarily important. In fact, the y often times help the process of planned obsolescence.
I've had great success with my Android based phones, and guess what - they don't need updates to continue funtioning perfectly.

A.W.D.
Yeah, it's just a phone. It's not like it's an actual PC or networked PC with actual/important data on it.
I think some of you guys are making smart phones (in general) out to be something more than they are, or need to be.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Iphone is like a idiot proof smart phone.
View Quote
LOL, no apple is the jitterbug of smartphones..
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's just a phone. It's not like it's an actual PC or networked PC with actual/important data on it.
I think some of you guys are making smart phones (in general) out to be something more than they are, or need to be.

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

A.W.D.

A.W.D.
So banking information, email, saved files, notes, etc. are not important data?

Phones in a corporate environment that could have access to internal systems... My organization deals with a LOT of PHI. We have to maintain security and integrity.

A lot of my personal information is on my iPhone. I'm glad apple regularly releases security patches and has the phone heavily encrypted.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
crApple
View Quote
i got the crapple fan at work calling then icraps now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
So, how does it feel paying $1k for a phone that doesn't work in the cold and is just now introducing features Android has had for years?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lol Apple user
View Quote
Ha this. Wonder what they'll "invent" for the next iPhone that Android has done for years?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Phones in a corporate environment that could have access to internal systems... My organization deals with a LOT of PHI. We have to maintain security and integrity.

A lot of my personal information is on my iPhone. I'm glad apple regularly releases security patches and has the phone heavily encrypted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

A.W.D.

A.W.D.

What A.W.D. is saying, {and I agree} is that banking information, personal information, saved files, notes, all that shit does not belong on such a easily lost, easily damaged, little faux computer.  That smart phone is not an actual PC with actual/important data, and a secure backup strategy.   I agree that some of you guys are making smart phones (in general) out to be something more than they are, or need to be.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What A.W.D. is saying, {and I agree} is that banking information, personal information, saved files, notes, all that shit does not belong on such a easily lost, easily damaged, little faux computer.  That smart phone is not an actual PC with actual/important data, and a secure backup strategy.   I agree that some of you guys are making smart phones (in general) out to be something more than they are, or need to be.

A.W.D.
View Quote
Stop making PCs out to be something more then they are or need to be..
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The iPhone is the AOL of smart phones: dumbed down enough so that even grandma can use it.

Tell me when you can do the simplest thing like receive an attachment to an email and connect the phone to a (non-networked) computer via USB to access that attachment. Just did that with an Autocad DWG file. Good luck doing that through your iTunes, Apple Mail, iCloud clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

A.W.D.

A.W.D.

A.W.D.
This couldn' be further from the truth if you tried. I'm a senior infosec manager for one of the largest companies on earth fwiw. People with your attitude are one of the biggest risks facing enterprises today.

ETA - Encrypting your device mitigates the 'losing your device' risk which is also a consideration with those easily lost or stolen laptop thingies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol weaksauce troll thread. Enjoy your phone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This couldn' be further from the truth if you tried. I'm a senior infosec manager for one of the largest companies on earth fwiw. People with your attitude are one of the biggest risks facing enterprises today.

ETA - Encrypting your device mitigates the 'losing your device' risk which is also a consideration with those easily lost or stolen laptop thingies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

A.W.D.

A.W.D.

A.W.D.

"Senior' infosec manager" who never made it out of first-year college composition course presumes to lecture us?? LOL!  What credentials are you going to make up tomorrow to 'win' the next argument point??
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"Senior' infosec manager" who never made it out of first-year college composition course presumes to lecture us?? LOL!  What credentials are you going to make up tomorrow to 'win' the next argument point??  
View Quote
You're doing a good job of illustrating my point. Bravo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

A.W.D.

A.W.D.

A.W.D.

Could not agree more. I am a Sr. Systems Engineer and see a lot of the BS.

It's amusing to hear non IT people talk about IT issues from their small world perspectives.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I hate my company issued iPad and like the feature rich Samsung S7 Edge that I use everyday.

Actually, Samsung copied Apple AGAIN!
For those of us who can remember the Macbooks catching fire.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Lots of my friends who were massive iphone fan folks are starting to ask about my google Pixel.

The interface with my DSLR and ability to be creative on the pixel has been fantastic. People are starting to take notice I think.

Who knows.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Apple is the velcro shoe of cellphones.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's amusing to hear non IT people talk about IT issues from their small world perspectives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

A.W.D.

A.W.D.

A.W.D.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I think that Android vs. iPhone threads are stupid.  Buy whatever the fuck device you want.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Apple Takes Aim at Trump in Australian Interview

"A top Apple executive and former Obama official attacked the Trump administration in an interview with an Australian news outlet."
View Quote
lol. What's your point?

Google

Google

Google

Google

Google

See how that works? They ALL hate Trump, not just an exec from Apple.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't had any major problems with Android. I have a couple apps. I use it to text, call, take some pictures. Nothing intensive.
Apps include Candy Crush, web browsing, calculator.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote
Not sure if serious.

You serious, Clark?

Shirley, you can’t be serious.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not to mention all these smartphones are connected “to a network” 24/7/365. Most have basic security enabled yet contain very sensitive information.

Let me guess, your phone’s unlock code is 1 2 3 4? Here, let me send you an email real quick, just click on the link.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol. Phone wars. I love these threads.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#28]
So, OP thinks phone quality or awesomeness is a zero-sum game?

Congrats on becoming a liberal, OP!
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Meh...

30 percent more expensive than a galaxy 8 and noticably slower when cycling through apps. Non expandable memory. A smaller screen.

Not really seeing the draw, I can surf afcom,  do mobile banking, use as  a balistics calqulator.  It even streams music and plays youtube.

I've used both, and honestly don't see the big deal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#30]
More like upgayed, op.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL I haven't read the thread, but I read the tree up to this post. Yeah, there are some people out there that think everything is a conspiracy.

While I agree that one shouldn't log into very sensitive things (like banks and such) from a phone, sometimes you just HAVE TO. Some people have to use a smartphone for their jobs, which will access their employer's sensitive stuff. Hell, even for private use, what you DO access from your phone, if compromised, would likely help attackers compromise other things you never logged into from your phone.

Security updates are critical, and should be applied to EVERY. FUCKING. COMPUTER. DEVICE. YOU. OWN.

You know that big compromise at Experian? Yeah, it was a vulnerability in Apache (the web server software) that was patched MONTHS before the breach... but they didn't update.

I guess they just wanted to avoid obsolescence, huh?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lol. Phone wars. I love these threads.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK...

A.W.D.
View Quote
View Quote

A.W.D.
View Quote
You're doubling down on stupid, aren't you?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My 5C is four years old and I hear the next update is going to likely kill it because it won't be able to handle it... so you get that too.

I greatly dislike no external memory, I am thinking this will by last apple for that reason.
View Quote
The next update likely will not be compatible with the 5 models.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Does your iPhone know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The iPhone is the AOL of smart phones: dumbed down enough so that even grandma can use it.

Tell me when you can do the simplest thing like receive an attachment to an email and connect the phone to a (non-networked) computer via USB to access that attachment. Just did that with an Autocad DWG file. Good luck doing that through your iTunes, Apple Mail, iCloud clusterfuck.
View Quote
For a person like me that's not a big deal, just go to my inbox on the PC and do what i need with the file because the PC is where i will be using it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Some of you need to go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I love when mactards get excited about something "new", that android has had for years.
View Quote
And that BlackBerry had for years before that
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Wait, Apples still use cables? I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I love when mactards get excited about something "new", that android has had for years.
*spit take*

please try again, with a relevant cell phone platform.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Lulz. Because OPO has never lied (cheated) on tests before....
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Phones are just tools.  They serve me, not the reverse.  As long as any phone does what I want it to, I'm good with it.  I am not a techno nut that has to have the newest model phone, computer, watch, or other electronic gadget.  Talk to me about guns or knives, and you will get my attention though.

OTOH, it someone came out with a phone that was preloaded with a 2500 yard laser ranger finder, good ballistics program, and had an internal Kestrel type unit linked to the ballistics and rangefinder, I would be all over that.  Until then...meh.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I have used an I PHONE and it rang and I talked to someone.

I have used a Samsung Galaxy PHONE and it rang and I talked to someone.

Looks like a draw to me....
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have used an I PHONE and it rang and I talked to someone.

I have used a Samsung Galaxy PHONE and it rang and I talked to someone.

Looks like a draw to me....
View Quote
Wtf dude?
Nobody actually uses a smart phone for voice chat! Get with the times!
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol Apple user
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Benchmarks don't equal real world usage. That fraction of a second most people aren't going to notice.
I think my main gripe with Apple is being stingy with memory. IPhoneX has 3GB why not 4GB or 6GB? I think it's because if they did it would future proof their phones a little longer.
View Quote
A thing is or is not faster or better.  An unnoticed improvement is not the same as the claim that people’s 1 and 2 year old HTC is out performing it.  Preference aside, the processor is faster and faster is not underperforming.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They don't want to future proof their phones, lol, it's already been proven that they intentionally slow down the older phones when the new versions aree coming out. Apple fanbois like getting raped and keep going back for more.
View Quote
Yeah, that’s not a thing, but the Android fanatics love thier bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:35:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I'm going to be completely honest, this is the biggest thing that keeps me off the iPhone and certain Android phones.

Secondary would be if it acts like USB mass storage or not. Honestly, I don't know if they do or not anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legit gripe.  It pisses me off too.  I had a couple Android phones and did not care for the OS much at all.  But I did like simple removable storage because that limited the need to work with iTunes, that colostomy bag of an application.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:37:32 AM EDT
[#50]
What a buncha dorks.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top