[#2]
What happened to the demon driver on that second run?  A bit slow to react
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What happened to the demon driver on that second run?  A bit slow to react
View Quote

He said before the race he purposely let the Tesla leave first to show how much reaction effected the outcome and see if he could run him down.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#4]
A 10 minute video with about 2 minutes of content.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can thank the fucking algorithm for that, it prefers longer videos so it can stick more ads inside, the result is videos like this where people talk shit, repeat facts and waste time for most of the video.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]
So, with enough time and money, an ICE vehicle built for drag racing can beat an EV built for grocery shopping.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Definitely an exciting time
Can’t wait to see what the Tesla’s can do with a couple hundred thousand $ of mods
A big motor for each wheel
Independent batteries for each motor
It’s an exciting time for sure
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Cars without noise have no soul.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, with enough time and money, an ICE vehicle built for drag racing can beat an EV built for grocery shopping.
View Quote

Now you've done it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could always go down the road doing this...

Car Sounds With A Can-Tutorial-EASY V10 Engine Sound
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah but in this instance, one has to sit on a charger for an hour, the other can just turn around and head home.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes,there are lots of ICE drag racing vehicles that can beat Nissan Leafs.

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you put $150K into a vehicle, you can race another $150K vehicle competitively.

One can drive home or get trailered, the other can plug in and charge for a while to drive home or get trailered.

One sounds like a boss, one sounds like a golf cart on steroids.

Neither can pull a trailer worth a shit.  Both are designed to go fast.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I specifically posted that the race starts at about the 4:05 mark.  You could have watched about one minute of the video to see the race...LOL.  First world problems.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I specifically posted that the race starts at about the 4:05 mark.  You could have watched about one minute of the video to see the race...LOL.  First world problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't a complaint about you, but more about videos in general. They are all full of filler...all of them.

Just show the good content.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#16]
EVs will destroy car culture.
The old ideas of souping up a car are soon gone. Now you just flash some software and the corner dork can be fast in his moms car.

The sound of cars is gone. Shifting gears is gone. Tinkering is gone.

Fuck EVs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The old ideas of souping up a car are soon gone. Now you just flash some software and the corner dork can be fast in his moms car.

Fuck EVs.
View Quote

Pick a spot by a busy road and just sit and watch all the silent vehicles that quietly "wooosh" by. Bland, boring, soulless appliances.

The monotonous experience of driving such machines gets to me pretty quickly. It seems most folks don't care though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You could always go down the road doing this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0vu7kWA9s
View Quote

I do believe in the progressive state of California they are requiring EVs to make noise since folks are used to using their ears to cross the road.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
EV guys sure love the 1/8 mile.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah but in this instance, one has to sit on a charger for an hour, the other can just turn around and head home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong... That Plaid can do 20 pulls a night and still drive home. That built Demon won't do 5-10 pulls a day and 20 pulls total without needing to be tended to LOL. They probably have to take a look at the top end after each race weekend.

I also imagine that Demon showed up and left on a trailer BTW...

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
EV guys sure love the 1/8 mile.
View Quote

Is 150mph in the 1/4 slow?

Running at 150mph in the 1/4 without a roll cage makes alot of 1/4 mile drag strips throw you out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fuck EVs.
View Quote

As I was filling up first thing this morning a young guy in an overly obnoxious diesel couldn't help but stomp on it coming around the corner.

Good riddance to that fucking noise.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Running at 150mph in the 1/4 without a roll cage makes alot of 1/4 mile drag strips throw you out.
View Quote
Let's just do 60' times then, more safer. At some point it ceases to be a drag race. EVs have all the advantages at the dig, that's why they run 1/8 mile. The big end is a component to racing that gets left out on these short races.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Tesla Model S Plaid World Record - 9.01 1/4 Mile
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let's just do 60' times then, more safer. At some point it ceases to be a drag race. EVs have all the advantages at the dig, that's why they run 1/8 mile. The big end is a component to racing that gets left out on these short races.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're stuck in the idea EVs still don't have top end.
The plaid definitely has top end this time around.

No more falling on its face at 100+mph.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fuck EVs.
View Quote

There is still stuff that can be done to tinker with EVs and increase the speed. It's just a different skill set that you are too stubborn to learn.

Cope.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I really wouldn’t consider a model s plaid built for grocery shopping, but credit where credit is due it’s probably one of the most honest things to come out of your mouth in months.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think you're stuck in the idea EVs still don't have top end.
The plaid definitely has top end this time around.

No more falling on its face at 100+mph.
View Quote

They are speed limited though as they get to 160 rapidly but aren’t especially happy over that.

At some point it will be possible to mod an EV grocery getter,something a Plaid S most certainly is not, into being as fast as a K swap Civic running 30 pounds of boost but it’s going to be a while. The only question is how much regulation there will be by that point. I think if meaningful right to repair doesn’t happen then that is what will kill car modifying,not lack of interest in going faster.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They are speed limited though as they get to 160 rapidly but aren’t especially happy over that.

At some point it will be possible to mod an EV grocery getter,something a Plaid S most certainly is not, into being as fast as a K swap Civic running 30 pounds of boost but it’s going to be a while. The only question is how much regulation there will be by that point. I think if meaningful right to repair doesn’t happen then that is what will kill car modifying,not lack of interest in going faster.
View Quote

Check out the Ford cobra jet 1400
There is another mustang build (not modded by Ford)
Can’t remember the specs but has been called worlds fastes mustang
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars.

Well...about that.  It's actually more about the noise than it is about winning.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Soul is subjective
Some people follow the philosophy of speak softly but carry a big stick

At this point in my life all that racket up and down the street at all hours is just annoying and reminds me more of a souped up lawnmower from the neighbor cranking it up at 7:00 on a Saturday morning
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then get a Civic with a fart can. I want a car that is fast, not one that sounds fast.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't think that is a Model S Plaid. It looks like the older (and slower) Performance Model S based on the brief glimpses you get of the front. The Plaid has a slightly different front end.

I scanned through the entire long video and there isn't a single close up of the Plaid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Our orthopedic surgeon was coming in today for a consultation and he called saying he was going to be late - he had to charge his Tesla.

No joke.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Then get a Civic with a fart can. I want a car that is fast, not one that sounds fast.
View Quote

What do you drive?
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Definitely an exciting time
Can’t wait to see what the Tesla’s can do with a couple hundred thousand $ of mods
A big motor for each wheel
Independent batteries for each motor
It’s an exciting time for sure
View Quote

I would really prefer they focus on weight loss and handling. At this point the car is fast as hell and is only really good at one thing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LOL. Our orthopedic surgeon was coming in today for a consultation and he called saying he was going to be late - he had to charge his Tesla.

No joke.
View Quote

That’s odd
Mine has about 260 miles every morning when I get up.
I’ve never been late to an appt due to fuel shortage
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#39]
So we essentially know the pinnacle of ICE cars in the 1k or 1/4 mile.  For the lulz, I wish Elon would just invest to make a Tesla rail car, and see what the pinnacle of current EV tech might be.

I suspect the motors will make too much torque, and the batteries will be too heavy to get 335mph+ at 1,000ft.  Just a guess though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I would really prefer they focus on weight loss and handling. At this point the car is fast as hell and is only really good at one thing.
View Quote

Actually they are getting pretty competitive lap times at the track
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Fuck EVs.
View Quote

Car culture will have to adapt. As will the aftermarket.

Just the same way people build engines in their garage with components they purchased, some day they will probably be able to upgrade an electric drivetrain with motors and stuff they buy. They’ll have to crack the cars computer to tweak the software that controls it all, just like they do now.

I’m not a big EV fan and hate to see the gas engine fade away. But I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom for people that want to modify their cars. It will be different for sure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That’s odd
Mine has about 260 miles every morning when I get up.
I’ve never been late to an appt due to fuel shortage
View Quote

That would require plugging it in every night and it's a bold assumption that you would think everyone would manage to do that. Think of how many people still routinely drive off from the gas station with the filler still in their car and now think of how many those people are driving EVs now. I have an idiot friend whose Tesla is almost always dead because god forbid he spend the ten seconds of physical effort it would take to plug in the thing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What do you drive?
View Quote

Model 3 Performance.

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That would require plugging it in every night and it's a bold assumption that you would think everyone would manage to do that. Think of how many people still routinely drive off from the gas station with the filler still in their car and now think of how many those people are driving EVs now. I have an idiot friend whose Tesla is almost always dead because god forbid he spend the ten seconds of physical effort it would take to plug in the thing.
View Quote

Probably not the orthopedic surgeon I would want working on me.
If memory and attention to detail are such…I doubt I’d trust them being under their knife
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They pull off decent lap times because the brute force of the power they make. There is much to improve in those cars but the focus is always bigger motors and more batteries.

It would also be nice if they built a performance car that looked the part. Maybe someday they will finally have the new Roadster for sale.

I do like Teslas but they just don’t really appeal to me in a way that makes me want to run out and get one. Now if they made something that had the look of a Rimac at the price and performance of the Plaid they would really be on to something.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Probably not the orthopedic surgeon I would want working on me.
If memory and attention to detail are such…I doubt I’d trust them being under their knife
View Quote

Ask anyone in the medical field. Doctors may be intelligent but they often turn out to not be very wise.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fuck EVs.
View Quote

Yep.

That Demon launched HARD. I thought it was going to do a wheelie.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Car culture will have to adapt. As will the aftermarket.

Just the same way people build engines in their garage with components they purchased, some day they will probably be able to upgrade an electric drivetrain with motors and stuff they buy. They’ll have to crack the cars computer to tweak the software that controls it all, just like they do now.

I’m not a big EV fan and hate to see the gas engine fade away. But I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom for people that want to modify their cars. It will be different for sure.
View Quote

Not doom and gloom, just stupid. It will be the equivalent of hopping up a hair dryer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Model 3 Performance.

https://i.imgur.com/q5JbRqtl.jpeg
View Quote

I had a customer bring one in for an alignment this week,it was my first experience with a Tesla. As an old school car guy that has owned a Chevelle and several camaro's and El Camino's that were all modified extensively I was actually impressed. Would consider getting one when battery life and mileage are improved.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There is still stuff that can be done to tinker with EVs and increase the speed. It's just a different skill set that you are too stubborn to learn.

Cope.
View Quote

And one little over the air data burst from Elon and your car turns off.  EV's are impressive but I'm old and prefer a small block with a blower sticking out of the hood.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top