User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guy on Garandthumbs channel just about did it the other day shooting a Smith 500.  Go to 14:10 and start watching.  Look close at the slow-mo.

And BEAT LIKE A RENTED MULE…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAfHvpv6uk
View Quote

I don't know, watch his trigger finger...don't look like he let off the trigger at all.  Looks like the hammer bounced...and watch the cylinder turn at the same time.  Scary.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a .22 Beretta specifically for this reason. Had several family members ask me to teach them to shoot over the past couple years, and videos like this made me realize just how quickly a sharp recoil can mess up a first-timer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#4]
wow
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Whenever someone shoots my .44 for the first time they get one shell in the cylinder.

That way if it goes flying out of their hands it can't go off again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Exactly why I start new shooters out like Barney Friggin Fife with one boolit at a time
View Quote

I started an ex off with an air soft gun to instill trigger discipline, but I do the same.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How the fuck does that even happen?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Put a newb behind a large caliber, hard-kicking gun.

Quoted:
I’ll never understand why people hand new shooters stuff like that.  It’s not funny, it’s stupid.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I seent it in real life! It's why I never hand someone a gun with more than a round in it till they are ready.
View Quote

Yep.  One round until they know what to expect.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Saw it happen twice when I worked at an indoor range.  Both times with the S&W .500 Magnum rental gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't know, watch his trigger finger...don't look like he let off the trigger at all.  Looks like the hammer bounced...and watch the cylinder turn at the same time.  Scary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guy on Garandthumbs channel just about did it the other day shooting a Smith 500.  Go to 14:10 and start watching.  Look close at the slow-mo.

And BEAT LIKE A RENTED MULE…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAfHvpv6uk

The cylinder won't turn until the trigger resets
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#11]
That one never gets old.
I fired it once, but I think I got away with it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seent it in real life! It's why I never hand someone a gun with more than a round in it till they are ready.

Yep, even have done it with a muzzleloader....
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/mal-660.gif
Double Action BP guns exist.

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ll never understand why people hand new shooters stuff like that.  It’s not funny, it’s stupid.
View Quote

And yet it keeps happening, because the 'cool guys' want the novice to know that they're cool.
And then the person winds up hating firearms and gun owners.
This same thing happens when pilots who think they're Chuck Yeager take someone up and scare the crap out of them.
Dickheads all of them, and a detriment to the hobby.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]
The video from behind with the ND and the instructors reaction are two separate videos. I wonder what happened in the second video and which occurred first.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That one never gets old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That one never gets old.

That guy shouldn’t even handle the wood gun from The Other Guys. Fuck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Did I read that right? Guns are dangerous?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I seent it in real life! It’s why I never hand someone a gun with more than a round in it till they are ready.
View Quote

Yeah, just a single round until they get a feel and can control the gun...
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any big bore, always load one round in it to those who think they are badass.  Usually one is good for them and their girly wrists.

.454 Casull Master Race.
View Quote

That's good advice.

Personally, I would NOT fire a .454 Casull or .500 S&W. Well, maybe from something like a lever action carbine... but not a handgun. Fuck that shit. I need my wrists to remain functional!
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some idiot handing too much gun to a newbie.  

Has to be one of the most brain dead things that I routinely see people do at the range.  We've had a few other stories of little kids getting killed by fully automatic pistols (like an Uzi) in the same way in the past few years.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I seent it in real life! It’s why I never hand someone a gun with more than a round in it till they are ready.
View Quote

Yep!  I've done the "one round" at a time routine before with new shooters as well.  

New shooters do really stupid stuff the first time they pull the trigger.  The other thing I've seen is when a new shooter takes their first shot and then instantly does a "did you see that!" 180° back to the people behind them with the gun still in their hand flagging onlookers in the process.  

In addition to the "one round" routine, I'll also stand directly behind them so I can put an arm out if they start to make a move like that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Limp wristed, scrawny armed people that have never done any manual labor in their life.  They have the strength and stamina to barely make it from their Prius into Starbucks and just enough strength to lift a chai tea.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The cylinder won't turn until the trigger resets
View Quote

That's not what the video was showing, but I've never shot or handled one of them revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  

Taught my wife and kids to shoot and spent good part of the first day shooting with only one round in the mag.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Giving a new shooter something like that is not necessarily stupid or bad.  Giving it to them with more than one round in it is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That one never gets old.

And he’s the instructor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on who the shooter was.  Need to know more about him before I can tell you how I feel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

YEP. THIS x100.

Let me tell you a quick story. When my wife was like 10 her father (who's kind of a rough guy anyway) made her shoot a .30-06.  She cried because the recoil hurt her shoulder, and then her dad and older brothers made fun of her.

She was traumatized enough by the incident that she didn't touch a gun for 10 years.

Way to go, jerks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
holy shit! It was almost crayons and coloring books for him.
View Quote

It was almost lights out for him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Saw a woman at a CCW class do that about 6 times. She decided she was going to quality with a .460 S&W.
The instructor with the ultra long resume allowed it to continue. They would load the cylinder (5 rounds) and after 3 or 4 "shots fired" the gun was empty.

The instructor would say what it was some sort of ammunition malfunction and continue the shooter, while ignoring pieces of the ceiling falling on the range.
View Quote

I would have gone home when he allowed her to do it again.

mm
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

YEP. THIS x100.

Let me tell you a quick story. When my wife was like 10 her father (who's kind of a rough guy anyway) made her shoot a .30-06.  She cried because the recoil hurt her shoulder, and then her dad and older brothers made fun of her.

She was traumatized enough by the incident that she didn't touch a gun for 10 years.

Way to go, jerks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YEP. THIS x100.

Way to go, jerks.

I remember the first time I shot a 12 gauge with a slug.

We forgot to grab my gun on the way to deer camp, I was maybe 12, and not a very large child.

My uncle had an extra 12 gauge and he said "You can use it, but you need to know, it kicks much harder than what you are used to". Then my dad and him double and triple checked to make sure I wanted to actually try it, then insisted I shoot it at camp first just to make sure if I really wanted to.

That thing laid me out, jumped up and hit me in the cheek, felt like I got punched in the shoulder, then I fell down because I didn't have my stance.

I cried a little then said "Maybe I'll just sit with dad tonight".

I couldn't imagine maliciously handing a high recoiling gun of any type to anyone without warning them first, especially a kid.

Hell, my wife cried at age 20 after shooting a 20 gauge for the first time, I told her 10 times to pull it in tight, it still socked her.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#33]
That was scary!

Whenever I teach a new shooter, only one round in the firearm.  Wash rinse repeat until I believe they are competent enough to handle a fully loaded firearm.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
100% the fault of the instructor standing behind him.
View Quote

You can say that again
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've heard of that happening with single actions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most people...even people who think they know how to shoot...hold a handgun. They do not grip one

In this case he was holding the gun. As it flew towards him in recoil he grabbed at it to stop it, including with his trigger finger. That results in pressing the trigger again.

I've seen this happen in person multiple times.

Anyone who hands a newbie a .500 magnum is a fucking menace.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#38]
If I were shooting a massive hand cannon type revolver, I'd want a single-action, or I'd just load one round at a time until I was experienced with it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#39]

I used to love watching those videos. I was so jealous of his range but the guys getting the crap knocked out of them was hilarious.

Clown. So many clueless instructors.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Start with a limp grip, pulling light single action trigger very gently and timidly
as gun goes off, it begins moves back, combined with no pressure on the finger = trigger resets in an fraction of a second (before shooter reacts to shot)
as shooter feels loss of control or is scared, they instinctively clinch death grip with all fingers which pulls trigger again
View Quote

Interesting and know it's been a problem with the big handguns but never understood till you explained it.

My daughters friend shoots my S&W 460, once she got used to it now give her 5 rds in it. She's 5'4" and prefers to shoot it double action and can shoot that thing better than anyone I've ever seen, with the exception of Jerry M.

My aviator is the S&W 460
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's good advice.

Personally, I would NOT fire a .454 Casull or .500 S&W. Well, maybe from something like a lever action carbine... but not a handgun. Fuck that shit. I need my wrists to remain functional!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any big bore, always load one round in it to those who think they are badass.  Usually one is good for them and their girly wrists.

.454 Casull Master Race.

That's good advice.

I would have shot a rental .500 last weekend but the shop was out of ammo. He did say it hurts less than my .45-70.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top