Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 57
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like a step in the right direction to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So let's assume this is at Brownell's bidding. They bought the site, ostensibly to make money, right? Driving traffic/members away due to idiotic changes is going to benefit them how exactly? Just chill and give it a chance before coming to the most dire of possible conclusions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you ignore history of such attempts on other sites. But hey if it drive ar15.com further down the rankings because of lost traffic no skin off anyone buttocks right?
So let's assume this is at Brownell's bidding. They bought the site, ostensibly to make money, right? Driving traffic/members away due to idiotic changes is going to benefit them how exactly? Just chill and give it a chance before coming to the most dire of possible conclusions.
No one who owns a site intends to screw it up, they just attempt to control unfortunate aspects of the site until they choke the joy or usefulness out of it, then wonder what the heck happened.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most of the loudest whiners define trolling as being insufficiently pro-Trump.

Fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
as long as "trolling" can be defined, I am good with it.

Fact.
That's not the verbiage I would have chosen, but there's truth to it.

There are a whole lot of people here that automatically equate voicing a difference in opinion to trolling.

That's not specific to Trump, but that's obviously been the biggest subject the last 3 years.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So every single member of Site Staff is just lying to everyone?

Can you come up with any explanation for WHY in the world we would do that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who thinks that this happened after goatboys meeting with our new corporate overlords and this has nothing to do with new ownership has their head in the sand. Once anything corporate happens and their legal teams and insurance starts digging changes will come. The fact that the first sentence in the announcement  states that this has nothing to do with Brownells is just projecting.

Look, all I know from a lifetime in the working world is that EVERY time a memo or directive comes out and the first bullet point is that "XXXXXXXXX had nothing to do with this" it has ALWAYS been found out that XXXXXXXXX was in fact BALLS DEEP in whatever the memo or directive was about.  Site staff / mods may have gotten the word from the Avilas or someone on senior staff, but I wouldn't be surprised if the site's owner gave them the marching orders.  As to why staff would deny it, that's just good middle and lower management.  Anything that might be controversial or unpopular is delivered by middle and lower management as though it was their idea to deflect criticism from the bosses.

Personally, I don't really care as I'm just a freeloader again, but you asked the question.  Don't Gunwritr me, bro.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure I'll be banned...again.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
God as my witness Brownells has nothing to do with this.
View Quote
Ok. Then why would a public commerce company want involvement here? How would they defend against some of the posts here?

Silently implied.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Honestly.

Black Ops filtered out A LOT of retards and tinfoilers.

It’s time to Black Ops this bitch again.

Every fucking thing is a conspiracy now.

Shooting at a garlic festival, “which democrat is in trouble...”

“False flag!!!!!” REEEEEEEEEEEEE
View Quote
The cabal got arfcom. Hillary threatened to arkancide the Avila’s.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Never seen this many mods in one thread before.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I just hope fun style troll threads are still allowed.

I need boss coolers and such when I come to GD
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not my quote but I agree with it and have seen lived through it in many online discussion forums that I either don't frequent anymore or they don't exist anymore.

"There is a general phenomenon I've noticed on the internet. Any forum with free speech and little to no moderation becomes right wing. Leftist ideas cannot exist without censorship and moderation."

GD has become pretty soft compared to years ago. Deal with real trolls? fine, Deal with threats or Arocking?, Fine. Worrying about everyone's feels? Yeah that is going to be tough to accomplish.
View Quote
That's a well thought out post
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
The only thing I ever got from a Mod was a warning that my avatar was borderline nudity. They asked me to change it and I did.  End of story.

I dont post things I wouldnt say to someone's face.  Politicians are a different matter, they work me the " Tax Payer" not the other way around. I dont take shit from anyone that will not be getting it back and then some. I'll do it in way that makes them feel insignificant.

More rules, fine, get the fucking scumbag pieces of shit trolls the fuck out of here.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to the idea of aimless showing up at your front door and kicking you in the balls for COC violations?
View Quote
A 2 ft tall penguin just isn't that intimidating
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
God as my witness Brownells has nothing to do with this.
View Quote
What if your god is Larry Potterfield?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Meh. I don't see anything drastically different than the current CoC.

So onto the real important stuff: When's dat new EE going live, @Goatboy?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Life is just a bowl of cherries, no?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There are a whole lot of people here that automatically equate voicing a difference in opinion to trolling.

That's not specific to Trump, but that's obviously been the biggest subject the last 3 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
as long as "trolling" can be defined, I am good with it.

Fact.

This coc change is probably necessitated by the coming election.

In the run up to the 2016, a lot of questionable shit was a permitted in our collective desire to beat Clinton by any means necessary.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who thinks that this happened after goatboys meeting with our new corporate overlords and this has nothing to do with new ownership has their head in the sand. Once anything corporate happens and their legal teams and insurance starts digging changes will come. The fact that the first sentence in the announcement  states that this has nothing to do with Brownells is just projecting.

jkplsnoban
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Moderating a forum is no easy task, especially with a large group of moderators.  Trying to maintain consistency is very complicated, especially over a long period of time, it looks like they're trying to address this.  CHOOSING moderators is one of the hardest tasks, I'm fortunate that the forum I moderate has fairly low usage these days because we haven't been able to identify anyone we would trust as an additional moderator, and there are only three of us (plus paid employees of the hosting company, but they focus primarily on technical issues and may approve posts), and all of us have day jobs.

I've said it here repeatedly - it's amazing how childish chronological adults can be online, and how much rules-lawyering you can encounter when you try to enforce basic standards.  The forum I'm a moderator for has a "no-hitting" rule - you can attack the argument, but not the poster.  Yet people can't resist personal attacks.  I understand getting frustrated with other users, since some people are unpersuasible.  If that happens, just post "OK, we're just going in circles, I'm through discussing this with you" and follow through.  Don't start making personal attacks, because then the other person perceives they've won by causing you to lose control (such as a user who admitted deliberately enticing such reactions to get users banned and was banned for a while and is still restricted from GD to my understanding).

Of course, I got mildly reprimanded by my boss at work for sending "I'm done with this.  Escalate with the support team if you need more assistance." after a user kept insisting there was a system issue when I had shown the documentation saying that the error he was getting was normal (fsck on a live filesystem, for the UNIX folks).  The support team basically had to show him the same results on several different live production systems before the user finally admitted it wasn't a problem.

Being a moderator can suck ALL of the fun out of going to a forum, because you know you're going to log in and have X number of "attention required" messages stacked up to deal with, and it sucks having to punish someone you consider a friend.
View Quote
Moderating a website where members throw money at the ownership is easy. Just have to make sure the website can’t get sued.

Moderating a website that is owned by a company with huge online sales is very difficult. You have to make sure NO customers are offended. Thudds and all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I read it and it has a very simple reply: Gun guys with real world experience who are rough around the edges won't be banned if they stay within the CoC. THEY are responsible for their actions, something I used to have to tell my little kids - but not something I expected to have to tell adults over and over again. If said leftists/weirdos stay within the CoC, then they won't be banned. It has nothing to do with coddling.

Let's assume for a minute that we do what you're hinting at: Let the people who violate the CoC stay on while we kick off those that don't. Do you think it would lead to more confidence about our leadership among the general membership? Or do you think it might cause some serious problems when you never know if you can be banned for whatever reason? What about the people who get to stay even though they keep breaking the rules? Will they be better citizens of this board?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So gun guys and people with real world experience will continue to be banned for being rough around the edges while leftists and general internet weirdos that can follow the letter of the law while inciting responses will continue to be coddled?

I hope someone important reads this.
I read it and it has a very simple reply: Gun guys with real world experience who are rough around the edges won't be banned if they stay within the CoC. THEY are responsible for their actions, something I used to have to tell my little kids - but not something I expected to have to tell adults over and over again. If said leftists/weirdos stay within the CoC, then they won't be banned. It has nothing to do with coddling.

Let's assume for a minute that we do what you're hinting at: Let the people who violate the CoC stay on while we kick off those that don't. Do you think it would lead to more confidence about our leadership among the general membership? Or do you think it might cause some serious problems when you never know if you can be banned for whatever reason? What about the people who get to stay even though they keep breaking the rules? Will they be better citizens of this board?
If quality members are consistently breaking the same rules, then remove those rules.   From everyone.  The most disruptive people on the site already follow the rules, to the letter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Never seen this many mods in one thread before.
View Quote
I have

It was a cockapocalypse thread.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't think you're going to get your preference.  A formalized process and having mods take action against shit-stirrers would be an improvement over the current, somewhat ad-hoc moderation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a difference between fun and being retarded children that GD acts like so often.
Tell it to gunriter.
I think the part about a formal appeals process is exactly to address that sort of issue.
I prefer less rules, let people be butthurt.
I don't think you're going to get your preference.  A formalized process and having mods take action against shit-stirrers would be an improvement over the current, somewhat ad-hoc moderation.
Yeah, sounds like an upgrade to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's been the case since Arfcom first opened its doors. I am on the alternate site here at work so I can't see your join date. Do you remember back in the mid-2000's when GD was vastly revamped with stricter rules and everything? It caused a lot of issues as some very popular members who couldn't abide by the new rules got booted. There was an outcry by some that we're changing the core of what Arfcom is, that it would drive membership away, etc. Well, that didn't happen. The site has grown, and for every person that is vociferous about not liking the changes there are probably scores of other members who don't usually post who support the changes.

It's real simple: This change will either work or it won't. If it won't, then membership will go down and I expect a reversal of the new rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one who owns a site intends to screw it up, they just attempt to control unfortunate aspects of the site until they choke the joy or usefulness out of it, then wonder what the heck happened.
That's been the case since Arfcom first opened its doors. I am on the alternate site here at work so I can't see your join date. Do you remember back in the mid-2000's when GD was vastly revamped with stricter rules and everything? It caused a lot of issues as some very popular members who couldn't abide by the new rules got booted. There was an outcry by some that we're changing the core of what Arfcom is, that it would drive membership away, etc. Well, that didn't happen. The site has grown, and for every person that is vociferous about not liking the changes there are probably scores of other members who don't usually post who support the changes.

It's real simple: This change will either work or it won't. If it won't, then membership will go down and I expect a reversal of the new rules.
I was lurking while living in NOVA in the late 1990s and actively posting for over a decade. Yes the rule changes have impacted the site already and more rules and mods are not going to improve it in a way most of us would like.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just hope fun style troll threads are still allowed.

I need boss coolers and such when I come to GD
View Quote
@WhiskersTheCat

It’s still very rough, but I made some progress on the prototype today. These are scraps/supplies. Don’t want to show the cooler still because someone may copy it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Finally.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If quality members are consistently breaking the same rules, then remove those rules.   From everyone.  The most disruptive people on the site already follow the rules, to the letter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So gun guys and people with real world experience will continue to be banned for being rough around the edges while leftists and general internet weirdos that can follow the letter of the law while inciting responses will continue to be coddled?

I hope someone important reads this.

Freedom be scary yo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As I asked the other genius, please provide your amazing logic for WHY Site Staff would all want to lie to everyone about this.

I can’t wait to hear it.
View Quote
If they tighten the tinfoil strong enough it'll be that you guys got lied to, and that it's an evil cabal led by Soros leading the site controllers astray.

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The site needs to be friendly for all users.
View Quote
No. No, it fucking doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As I asked the other genius, please provide your amazing logic for WHY Site Staff would all want to lie to everyone about this.

I can’t wait to hear it.
View Quote
Staff gets 40% all orders from Brownells

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 57
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top