Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Your vehicle is a Faraday cage, an imperfect one but good enough.
The danger with an EMP is, power transmission lines that stretch hundreds of miles will act as a huge transformer, transmitting the surge in energy, the wires in your vehicle are not long enough or exposed enough to cause problems.
In the event of an EMP event big enough to affect your vehicle, your vehicle will be the least of your problems.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would immediately burn those wires if not the main fuse.  Negative and chassis are already connected.  Connect that to positive and you will have a direct short.
View Quote

Correct. Those wires are probably done in half a second or so.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone seems to say. EMP won't do anything to your car. That's probably true, but if they don't really do anything. Why do they bother making EMP weapons? Maybe there is something different in how they work. IDK, just a thought
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like snake oil to me. Did you order the kit to run your truck off water too?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Snake oil.

Tell me how does that company tests against an EMP…lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
IN for the replies.

Dis gonna be gud
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I see they say it works across all phases of an EMP, but does it work across multiple EMPs?

I didn't see that covered in their FAQ.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Dude is making some bank of some paranoid people.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Here is mine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone EMP protected their vehicle?
View Quote

Well, yes.  There are people who have EMP protected their vehicle.

You however, are not one of them.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Sigh.

That's a weird-looking Faraday cage.  Probably only protects small (Matchbox) cars.

EMPs are most effective on long conductors.  Like hundreds of miles.

You already have several Faraday cages in your car - the body, and the several others protecting the computers.

A lightning strike won't disable a car.  I'm not sure, but I think a lightning strike might impart a little more energy into the car than an EMP.

And then, of course, there's the whole "field strength diminishes proportionally with the cube of distance" thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Everyone seems to say. EMP won't do anything to your car. That's probably true, but if they don't really do anything. Why do they bother making EMP weapons? Maybe there is something different in how they work. IDK, just a thought
View Quote
Airburst EMP is designed to take out large electrical grids and devices attached to them. All the power lines act like a giant antenna to collect the energy from an EMP and damage anything connected to it. Big antennas collect and amplify very weak signals. Small antennas don't. Wiring in a car is very small compared to the massive power line grid. Additionally the very relatively small amount of wiring in a car is shielded to some degree buy the cars metal body.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I put a carbed 350 in my Tesla
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dude is making some bank of some paranoid people.

View Quote
Blunt but accurate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's got a +12, -12 and GND wire that looks like maybe 18 ga.
Box is completely sealed with no non-destructive way to open.
If you did open it I bet all you find is a simple circuit board
that provides 12 volts to the little green power LED.

Scam meter is in red.
View Quote

What,  you don't think 18ga can handle the voltage surge of a lightening strike?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I do think it's very possible for a vehicle to be disabled by an EMP.  It takes very little to damage sensors and computers that we use in new cars.  Combine that with thousands of feet of copper wire in the vehicle. I also expect it to be very random with some vehicles damaged and some just fine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What,  you don't think 18ga can handle the voltage surge of a lightening strike?
View Quote

Extremely high voltage only needs little wires. Low voltage needs big wires or high amperage turns them into heating elements.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's got a +12, -12 and GND wire that looks like maybe 18 ga.
Box is completely sealed with no non-destructive way to open.
If you did open it I bet all you find is a simple circuit board
that provides 12 volts to the little green power LED.

Scam meter is in red.
View Quote

That's the part that is very suspect.  12v and -12v would go to battery.  There is no ground in a car.  Where would that land?  Chassis is -12v.  You gonna drag a ground rod?  I don't see it being possible for a device like this to work.  The electrical system has no ground reference.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Please explain how a box with 2 wires could protect a vehicle from EMP.
View Quote

Next thing you're gonna tell me is my gas saver plugged into my cigarette lighter doesn't actually do anything
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's the part that is very suspect.  12v and -12v would go to battery.  There is no ground in a car.  Where would that land?  Chassis is -12v.  You gonna drag a ground rod?  I don't see it being possible for a device like this to work.  The electrical system has no ground reference.
View Quote

Yeah I don't get it either. Vehicle electrical system is full of fuses and diodes already. Introduce too many volts/amps on the wrong side of those and you're fucked anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah I don't get it either. Vehicle electrical system is full of fuses and diodes already. Introduce too many volts/amps on the wrong side of those and you're fucked anyway.
View Quote

Probably needs a TVS Diode to ground at every major component for high quality EMP protection.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I seriously doubt the EMP induced voltage in a metal body vehicle will be significant enough to cause damage.

Keep in mind, an EMP attack is suicidal. There are only two states that have the technical means and an EMP isn't going to effect our ability to retaliate in the slightest.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#25]
A good friend sent me to me for my opinion.

It has a money back guarantee he says.

If we have a for real EMP good luck collecting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#26]
It’s probably a massively overpriced MOV based surge protector.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was thinking......looks like some gimmick, and a great way to throw away almost $400.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I park on my garage so I’m GTG.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Pretty sure I’m squared away.
Just in case, there’s a couple NIB ignition modules vacuum packed and tucked away in a Altoids tin..... somewhere riding around in the back. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Did you have to pay for it with iTunes gift cards?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok, so lets just pretend that an EMP takes out every car on the road except yours.  

You really want to be the only guy with a running truck?  At the very least, EVERY friend you ever had is going to ask you to help them move.  At worst, you've put a target on your back and you'll be killed for it.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn’t matter if it works. If it gets that bad, warranty ain’t gonna matter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Kinda thought a vehicles body functioned as sort of a faraday cage. Also the effects of an airburst EMP mostly affects the grid due to all power lines acting like receivers  (and electronics attached to it). Just basing this on general reading. Wouldn't be the first time if I'm wrong.
View Quote

This.

High-altitude EMP ("One Second After" type) melts the power grid because it's basically a giant antenna.  AIUI, it's unlikely to knock out most motor vehicles (something like a Tesla, or a vehicle with a lot of networking.....maybe) and stuff like your generator.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Extremely high voltage only needs little wires. Low voltage needs big wires or high amperage turns them into heating elements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm quite familiar with Ohms law.   I'm also quite familiar with lightening strike grounding  (hint, it's really high voltage... and really high current!)

Anyways,  my experience has been it's voltage that frys circuits... not current
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dude, return it. I design this stuff for a living.
View Quote
This thread just got more interesting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Airburst EMP is so 1990s

the new hotness is a drone cruising your hood while blasting EMP and other noises

if they miss you on the first pass, the overwatch drone will schedule you for a touch up
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:Dude, return it. I design this stuff for a living.
View Quote

I'd love to hear your opinion on what it would take to properly protect a home and vehicles from large EMP devices.

Would basic shunting at the breaker box protect most home electronics?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Its like the 3 sea shells
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm, there are three wires.

It works because of three wires.

Its like the 3 sea shells

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m clearly the dumbest person in the room, but could someone please post a link to a good explanation of exactly how an EMP weapon works, how it is going to damage my electronics, and a documented case of this happening? Not something theoretical - I want something factual.

I mean, according to this thread we already have “EMP Weapons.” Someone here “designs this stuff for a living” and apparently we’ve modified B52s to be “EMP Resistant.”

What do these weapons look like? What is their range? What mechanism is used to damage electronics? What kind of electronics? Which components, specifically, are damaged? How do the various “protective” devices stop the process that would otherwise damage stuff? How and where were they tested?

I’ve only ever seen these referenced in post-apocalyptic fiction and sci-fi movies like The Matrix, and in masturbatory fantasy threads here. I’m not actually convinced they are an actual threat. I’m open to being convinced, but I’m going to need some documentation, which seems to be conspicuously absent from these threads.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This.

High-altitude EMP ("One Second After" type) melts the power grid because it's basically a giant antenna.  AIUI, it's unlikely to knock out most motor vehicles (something like a Tesla, or a vehicle with a lot of networking.....maybe) and stuff like your generator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda thought a vehicles body functioned as sort of a faraday cage. Also the effects of an airburst EMP mostly affects the grid due to all power lines acting like receivers  (and electronics attached to it). Just basing this on general reading. Wouldn't be the first time if I'm wrong.

This.

The shell won't act like a faraday cage.  A faraday cage has openings that are smaller than the wavelength of the radiation.  Windows would not stop radiation from entering the vehicle.  Whether strong enough to damage ECU/BCU, etc is up for debate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’m clearly the dumbest person in the room, but could someone please post a link to a good explanation of exactly how an EMP weapon works, how it is going to damage my electronics, and a documented case of this happening? Not something theoretical - I want something factual.

I mean, according to this thread we already have “EMP Weapons.” Someone here “designs this stuff for a living” and apparently we’ve modified B52s to be “EMP Resistant.”

What do these weapons look like? What is their range? What mechanism is used to damage electronics? What kind of electronics? Which components, specifically, are damaged? How do the various “protective” devices stop the process that would otherwise damage stuff? How and where were they tested?

I’ve only ever seen these referenced in post-apocalyptic fiction and sci-fi movies like The Matrix, and in masturbatory fantasy threads here. I’m not actually convinced they are an actual threat. I’m open to being convinced, but I’m going to need some documentation, which seems to be conspicuously absent from these threads.
View Quote

Two words for you:

Carrington Event

No weapons required for EM to be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#43]
It was awarded "The Coolest Thing Made In Kansas 2022"

Must be good.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mostly we're talking about nuclear events. Starship Prime was the big test we did in the 60's that generated a large EMP and damaged electronics almost 1000 miles away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

Thankfully we've abstained from nuclear war for almost 80 years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

A nuke detonated above ground is the old reliable way.  Range from that is significant.  Induced current from a changing magnetic field is the problem.  Routing this current away from things you want to keep is the solution.  Look at the Carrington event for a natural version from the sun, or nuclear test measurements.  They are absolutely a threat to life and the gov agrees.  Grid damage could take decades to repair.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You do know your whole car is basically a faraday cage? Also EMP kind of needs long wires to build up a charge, most thing that are not plugged in to any long wires will probably be fine. Take our cell phone in your pocket it should be fine, but if plugged in and charging it probably a goner.

go look up when they did the tests, most cars will be fine.
View Quote

If a car is such a good faraday cage, explain how your cell phone signal isn’t hampered?

But otherwise, I agree with you. The EMP fear mongering is overhyped. It’s like the Y2K nuts, only the EMP folks won’t be proven wrong (hopefully).
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It was awarded "The Coolest Thing Made In Kansas 2022"

Must be good.
View Quote

Fucking damnit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You do know your whole car is basically a faraday cage? Also EMP kind of needs long wires to build up a charge, most thing that are not plugged in to any long wires will probably be fine. Take our cell phone in your pocket it should be fine, but if plugged in and charging it probably a goner.

go look up when they did the tests, most cars will be fine.
View Quote

Not only that. They are not grounded. Those big rubber things.
Voltage tends to arc to ground off the body or frame.
I’m not worried in the least. There will a lot more to think about.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I've just got one a them chains hangin' down like a propane truck.  Figure I'm good.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#50]
LOL.

Scam.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top