BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EMP on cars is a bit of a meme. A parked car will be fine, a running car will most likely be fine. Own a back up car and dont worry about it.
View Quote

This.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Pics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sure bought a old m998 humvee, i think it is basic enough to survive

Pics?

I'll play emp, no problemo

https://flic.kr/p/XbicRd
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
emp proof generators have brass screen around the wires. nothing around the generator, just the wires, for the gages and stuff. the case is not a faraday cage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's the part that is very suspect.  12v and -12v would go to battery.  There is no ground in a car.  Where would that land?  Chassis is -12v.  You gonna drag a ground rod?  I don't see it being possible for a device like this to work.  The electrical system has no ground reference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's got a +12, -12 and GND wire that looks like maybe 18 ga.
Box is completely sealed with no non-destructive way to open.
If you did open it I bet all you find is a simple circuit board
that provides 12 volts to the little green power LED.

Scam meter is in red.

That's the part that is very suspect.  12v and -12v would go to battery.  There is no ground in a car.  Where would that land?  Chassis is -12v.  You gonna drag a ground rod?  I don't see it being possible for a device like this to work.  The electrical system has no ground reference.

It's a trick question in case you're running a positive ground vehicle.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Please explain how a box with 2 wires could protect a vehicle from EMP.
View Quote

If it doesn't work in the event of an EMP they will give you a refund through electronic transfer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude, return it. I design this stuff for a living.
View Quote

In for group buy of Rat_Patrol EMP protection device!!  Who's with me?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you grab a case of dehydrated water to go with it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, return it. I design this stuff for a living.

Screw it - let's Fo!
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Why are old people so susceptible to scams?  Its mind boggling.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kinda thought a vehicles body functioned as sort of a faraday cage. Also the effects of an airburst EMP mostly affects the grid due to all power lines acting like receivers  (and electronics attached to it). Just basing this on general reading. Wouldn't be the first time if I'm wrong.
View Quote

It does. There have been several tests that demonstrated most vehicles would still be functional. The issue with EMP is really the grid itself failing and doing damage to whatever would be attached at the time of the pulse.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I think there are two major issues with this product.

First without a proper ground it probably has limited ability to shunt the electrons to true ground.

Second, a much better performing design would have individual shunts at every sensitive device.

This design simply connects positive to ground if the voltage goes over ~20v and disconnects when the voltage drops back to normal ranges. The 20 amp fuse will blow if it stays connected more than ~.1 seconds.

The design probably works better on the solar panel models that are connected to a true ground.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If it doesn't work in the event of an EMP they will give you a refund through electronic transfer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
That company makes a whole house protective unit, if I'm not mistaken.

Not cheap, but if you can pull it off, go for it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Three wires.

My understanding is it shunts positive, negative and body together when the EMP overvoltage happens. Once the event passes it returns to normal.

This should prevent voltage differentials across sensitive electronics that would kill them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three wires.

My understanding is it shunts positive, negative and body together when the EMP overvoltage happens. Once the event passes it returns to normal.

This should prevent voltage differentials across sensitive electronics that would kill them.

Attachment Attached File

You know that your vehicle has this thing called a body, that body is made from metal, that metal surround the computers, those computers have very small gauge wiring, none of which is what an EMP targets.

There are two types of EMPs, man made and solar. The man made EMPs are designed that the pulse is absorbed on the long, long, long powerlines to overload the grid.

Now to the product you are buying, how was it tested? That should clue you in.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

... shunts positive, negative and body together when the EMP overvoltage happens. ....
View Quote

That is how you start a vehicle fire

go pull the battery out of your car, and connect the positive and negative together  

also, on 99% of vehicles, the negative and body are already at the same potential ( they are bonded together )

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think there are two major issues with this product.

First without a proper ground it probably has limited ability to shunt the electrons to true ground.

Second, a much better performing design would have individual shunts at every sensitive device.

This design simply connects positive to ground if the voltage goes over ~20v and disconnects when the voltage drops back to normal ranges. The 20 amp fuse will blow if it stays connected more than ~.1 seconds.

The design probably works better on the solar panel models that are connected to a true ground.

View Quote

Do you know what purpose the car battery serves besides starting the car?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's almost like a giant filter capacitor, it's a surge protector

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You misunderstand.  That is a Garage.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I’m going to be honest- my wife bought one of these for our primary vehicle and I installed it. I have no clue what compelled her to buy it…fear, I suppose. She also purchased the house one and had an electrician install it. Again, no clue about its function or capabilities.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Serious question. Has there ever been an EMP event in history or is this all a big what if? To me it seems like the perfect weapon.If they exist how come nobody has ever used one?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Something like this might actually work.   The box and three wires. ??????
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Serious question. Has there ever been an EMP event in history or is this all a big what if? To me it seems like the perfect weapon.If they exist how come nobody has ever used one?
View Quote

Big coronal mass ejection in the 1860s?  Induced enough current to melt telegraph wires.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#25]
My garage is a faraday cage.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:52:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CORRECT!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Big coronal mass ejection in the 1860s?  Induced enough current to melt telegraph wires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carrington Event

It would be orders of magnitude more damaging now in our modern electronic society.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:44:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Carrington Event

It would be orders of magnitude more damaging now in our modern electronic society.
View Quote

Yep.   I'd be more worried about damage to the electric grid than cars.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Most of my automotive alternators (each) have six Avalanche diodes.... I think I'm good.
My grid power service panels have  several stacks of GDT and MOV pairs on each leg.
All critical loads are on continuous battery power.  EMI Filtered grid power supplements battery charge.
EMP could  cause upstream supply problems, but Locally, my shit is pretty well covered.

Much bigger concern  if you survive the initial blast, and  plan to prosper in a Post-Grid world SHOULD be  your  potable water supply, and having plenty of sustainable protein production capability.
chickens, breeding hogs, dairy cows, grazing land.......
Connex full of cracked corn, chicken feed, rice  SPAM and dehydrated potatoes  wouldn't be a bad start.
Wouldn't hurt to  be on friendly terms with the nearest fuel distributor, and/ or refinery operator, establish in advance  some means of trade for fuel deliveries that don't require electronics, banks or internet.
Meet the neighbors, and find some way of being USEFUL, ie mobile welding/repair truck, small engine repair parts  stock, learn to build/repair horse tack,  or repair tractors-hydraulics-water pumps...
A succesful attack with multiple, simultaneous EMP strikes  will make commerce a much more LOCAL affair, you can make plans to accomodate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy has the same opinion.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#31]
If you put magnets on the fuel line, your mpg will increase, it’s majic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Extremely high voltage only needs little wires. Low voltage needs big wires or high amperage turns them into heating elements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What,  you don't think 18ga can handle the voltage surge of a lightening strike?

Extremely high voltage only needs little wires. Low voltage needs big wires or high amperage turns them into heating elements.

Not really.

There are 2 things in play.

Voltage. The distance and dielectric between the wires or things need to be big to prevent arcs during high voltage.

Amps. The size of the wire determines how much current can flow in the wire before it burns up due to heat and resistance.

To dissipate a direct lightning strike you need 8 foot grounding rods every 16 feet over an entire acre of land all connected with very heavy cable or copper pipe.

A bolt that just jumped a 3000 foot air gap isn't going to be influenced by that little box, the little relay in it or any of that 18 gauge wire.

A lightning bolt and or EMP is extremely high voltage, hundreds of thousands of volts or more and massive current , thousands of amps, for a very short period of time.

A little box with 3 small wires isn't going to do shit except burn.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'd love to hear your opinion on what it would take to properly protect a home and vehicles from large EMP devices.

Would basic shunting at the breaker box protect most home electronics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Dude, return it. I design this stuff for a living.

I'd love to hear your opinion on what it would take to properly protect a home and vehicles from large EMP devices.

Would basic shunting at the breaker box protect most home electronics?

not likely. you would need to have an extremely fast shunt and be able shut shunt very high current with very high voltage and not have any arcing.

EMP protection is accomplished by isolating the thing so it isn't connected to long wires and doesn't have any long wires.

And / or isolating something in a faraday cage which prevents the electro-magnetic waves from reaching what is inside of it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If a car is such a good faraday cage, explain how your cell phone signal isn’t hampered?

But otherwise, I agree with you. The EMP fear mongering is overhyped. It’s like the Y2K nuts, only the EMP folks won’t be proven wrong (hopefully).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do know your whole car is basically a faraday cage? Also EMP kind of needs long wires to build up a charge, most thing that are not plugged in to any long wires will probably be fine. Take our cell phone in your pocket it should be fine, but if plugged in and charging it probably a goner.

go look up when they did the tests, most cars will be fine.

If a car is such a good faraday cage, explain how your cell phone signal isn’t hampered?

But otherwise, I agree with you. The EMP fear mongering is overhyped. It’s like the Y2K nuts, only the EMP folks won’t be proven wrong (hopefully).

the wavelength of the RF and the size of the hole. Cell phone wavelengths are very small, millimeters. The windows of a car are much bigger and the glass does not attenuate the RF.

Just like the screen on a microwave oven door, the lights gets out but the microwaves are too big to fit through the screen holes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#36]
My philosophy on the EMP protection for cars is that if you are close enough to a man-made EMP to cause your car to stop working, you have bigger problems since WW3 would have just begun.

That said, there is also this device that perhaps is a little better targeted at suppression of transient voltage spikes. Same would apply to the installation of high-saturation ferrites on long cables. I use a bunch of ferrites on cables for my ham radio that's installed in the Jeep. There's a lot of RF noise that cars themselves generate these days. And, some RF feeds back into the car from the ham radio that needs to be suppressed (or you become garbled/unintelligible over the air)
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

That guys an idiot.

You shouldn’t do the wheels and tires.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I was rich I would have a farady cage garage with spare vehicles.
View Quote

Take a few weeks off from bump-firing and bam! Paid for.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
EMP on cars is a bit of a meme. A parked car will be fine, a running car will most likely be fine. Own a back up car and dont worry about it.
View Quote

I had a backup car. Sold it. Neck and shoulder would get really sore driving it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m guessing there’s a big crossover of people who believe in ouija boards and this scam.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that is a scam.  

To really protect your vehicle from EMP, you would need to have every wiring harness shielded, and almost every electrical component enclosed in a metal box as specified by an electrical engineer.    Just the analysis on what needed to be done would probably cost thousands of dollars or possibly tens of thousands, that's even before you totally gut the wiring and reinstall it with shielding, and shield all the other components and boxes that need it.

If you are really serious about it, get an older simpler car, and then keep a spare ECU, and anything else needed to keep the engine running (like probably the entire dash module, and ignition system) in a Faraday cage.    Or get an even older car with a carburetor and keep a backup of your key ignition components.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That would immediately burn those wires if not the main fuse.  Negative and chassis are already connected.  Connect that to positive and you will have a direct short.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three wires.

That would immediately burn those wires if not the main fuse.  Negative and chassis are already connected.  Connect that to positive and you will have a direct short.

A direct short with HUGE amounts of current coming from your Lead Acid Battery.

Although not guaranteed, it's quite possible a modern vehicle could survive an EMP in operable condition, depending on the details of the vehicle, location, and nature of the EMP.

But if you really want assured protection, the whole thing would need to be shielded by an highly compentent electrical engineer.  Pretty much have to redo your entire electrical system, which is going to be cost-prohibitive for almost everyone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#43]

It won this award. I’m gonna get one too.

It didn’t win in 2021 but some homemade pies won. So it’s definitely a huge deal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That is genius.  $400 for what amounts to a tiger attack preventer.
View Quote

Hey, none of their customers have been attacked by tigers (or EMP's) so far!  

So how can you be so negative?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Nope, I just went ahead and EMP'd my vehicle and got it over with. First one on my block, a huge feeling of relief I tell you what.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top