Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because its a family owned business and unless your name ends in XYZ you're not making any decisions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn’t it your Bosses job, to cut the dead wood?    

Why aren’t You getting yourself into that position?

Because its a family owned business and unless your name ends in XYZ you're not making any decisions.

Well, that’s your problem right there.  You’re the deadwood, adrift and becalmed, in the Sargasso Sea

Deep down, you know this, and fear Becoming that which you despise.
And rightly so, because day by day, you Are.  

Time to hoist the mainsail and chart your course.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Are they unable to manage their taxable income to qualify for the premium tax credit (or perhaps even expanded medicaid if relevant)? That can make it much more affordable.

I cannot fathom working full time any longer than necessary. Folks who don't at least transition to part time when they can afford to retire bewilder me. I'd rather spend more days skiing, climbing, hunting, hiking, fishing, and otherwise enjoying life than working. Do these people who unnecessarily work full time have no passions or interests?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Health insurance stops most from retiring

Are they unable to manage their taxable income to qualify for the premium tax credit (or perhaps even expanded medicaid if relevant)? That can make it much more affordable.

I cannot fathom working full time any longer than necessary. Folks who don't at least transition to part time when they can afford to retire bewilder me. I'd rather spend more days skiing, climbing, hunting, hiking, fishing, and otherwise enjoying life than working. Do these people who unnecessarily work full time have no passions or interests?

Most people don’t understand how the tax credits work or despise the IRS. And avoiding Medicaid would be wise at that age band.  Getting care would become problematic.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Oldest GenX is 58 this year.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm mid 50's Gen-x. If I was contemplating retirement, financial security and insurance would be a concern. I love my job, I'm good at it, the only stress is dealing with some irresponsible vendors, a good boss, positive environment, I have plenty of pto and excellent benefits. I have no thoughts on retiring for awhile, I'll see how I feel in 10 more years. It would take a lot of money to make me comfortable to retire.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm pretty rough on the boomers who think nothing in the world changed, and that the 18 year olds of today have it easy.
I think they often times give erroneous dating advice that's aged poorly.
I could go on and on.

But anecdotally speaking, just from what I've seen, a lot of those boomers are "workaholics."
They're no fucking joke.
They might not have been when they were fucking around at 18, (their toys weren't digital, their stuff had no warning labels on it, and if one of their buddies went missing they showed up on a milk carton ) but they are now

Thanks to the Tapco-fucking of our economy by special interests (the people who can afford to sway politics), and awful monetary policy - we have kids who can't afford houses, and "old farts" who basically can't retire.
Absolute fucking mess.

I'm crushed for the people who are trying to get to adult life's on-ramp, but the ramp gets longer as they travel it, and the highway of adulthood gets farther away.
I'm also crushed for the tired old guys running out of gas, with engines that are FINALLY starting to overheat, watching the exit ramps get further away.
They have less time, more injuries, and less energy to deal with this ^ anarchy.

I think the people in my age range won't have social security at all, and it sucks a lot, sure.
But I still feel for the old farts, even if I think they've got 1 or 2 things wrong.
View Quote

Well put. It's getting harder for all of us.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Most people don’t understand how the tax credits work or despise the IRS. And avoiding Medicaid would be wise at that age band.  Getting care would become problematic.
View Quote

Meh, while you may not get the best choices in access to elective outpatient care, you can just abuse the fuck out of the ER and hospital if you're on Medicaid and can't otherwise get care.

The hospital I work at currently has a dreadful payer mix with a shit-ton of Medicaid. The Medicaid patients have surgery with the same surgeons and anesthesiologists, get managed by the same intensivists, etc. That said, I'd imagine most people retiring before 65 would be more likely to be eligible for the PTC than expanded Medicaid anyway. If taxable income would be below the threshold for the PTC they could just do some roth conversions.

I certainly loathe the IRS. I'm going to do what I can to minimize my tax burden, including working as little as possible given the progressive nature of our tax system.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
55 year old Xer here.  I am socially isolated but have people I interact with at work.  Divorced, no girlfriend.  Kids are busy with their own lives and self absorbed.   No time for the old man.

I can see me going feral and dying if I retired.  For that reason I'm going to work a while longer.  

A 56 year old single friend retired last year.  Got all his stuff in order and blew his brains out.  He had a good pension and was a handsome SOB.

My friend serves as a warning to me.  Men need purpose.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
More like a few of my former coworkers are not ready to retire yet as they know they will never make anywhere near as much $$$, they are at the top of their game, and have a lot of seniority.  And they don’t know what they want to do as we generally all retire in the 50-55 yr old range.  Gotta have a plan if you are going to retire early like that, even if the money part is figured out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Every Gen X I know at my job acts like they are already retired mentally. Watched one clip his toenails at his desk one day.
View Quote

What? Nonsense...

Attachment Attached File

But I was the boss before coming a owner. Goal is now to pay off this house, which almost is, and buy my Florida house when the housing crashes....
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]
when you've gotten up at 02:30 for the last 29 yrs
it's kind of hard to just stop , I woke up on a Monday morning
and just like that Time had no meaning , I wasn't bound by time
had no place to be , see or do anything drove me bat shit crazy
for the first month , after 4 months of this shit I went back to work
all though it's just 2 days a week it gives me peace of mind and I'm
able to share my knowledge with these young guns .

TS2
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Meh, while you may not get the best choices in access to elective outpatient care, you can just abuse the fuck out of the ER and hospital if you're on Medicaid and can't otherwise get care.

The hospital I work at currently has a dreadful payer mix with a shit-ton of Medicaid. The Medicaid patients have surgery with the same surgeons and anesthesiologists, get managed by the same intensivists, etc. That said, I'd imagine most people retiring before 65 would be more likely to be eligible for the PTC than expanded Medicaid anyway. If taxable income would be below the threshold for the PTC they could just do some roth conversions.

I certainly loathe the IRS. I'm going to do what I can to minimize my tax burden, including working as little as possible given the progressive nature of our tax system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Early retirees don’t want to abuse the hospital system. They want to see the same doc they have for 20 years, get their maintenance meds, and chill until next year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some of the ones I talk to don't think they can afford to retire because they will lose their insurance.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm 50, Gen X, and when I can retire that's what I'm doing.
I bought a shitty house in a shitty town but it's paid for, now all I have to do is keep the state taxman at bay, $100 a month put away for taxes.
I've accepted my position in life, raised two great kids, one is in her second year at a private college on a scholarship and the other is on her way to the same going into another private college we just visited again this past weekend where the head of the medical sciences dept all but offered her a free ride scholarship due to her class ranking and GPA.
My life is complete, I'm ready to call it quits the moment I'm able.  

The working man in this country has been conned into believing that working 60 hours a week until you die or become too sick or crippled to work is somehow noble, that it deserves all sorts of respect or some shit.
That a man should ignore his family, his kids growing up, hobbies just to work like a dog for someone else and then to die.

My neighbor just died Saturday, 66 years old, retired for one year.
One year, was always tinkering around his house, finally fixing up things he had been putting off for a decade.
Poor bastard died in his sleep.

Anyone who doesn't want to retire as soon as they are able are fools, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Gen X and not sure I will be able to retire as planned at all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What? Nonsense...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334273/1188_jpg-2890808.JPG

But I was the boss before coming a owner. Goal is now to pay off this house, which almost is, and buy my Florida house when the housing crashes....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every Gen X I know at my job acts like they are already retired mentally. Watched one clip his toenails at his desk one day.

What? Nonsense...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/334273/1188_jpg-2890808.JPG

Congrats !
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
At 65 they are baby boomers. The youngest boomers are 5958.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#17]
GenX here, I just retired at 45.  I wasn't scared at all!
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gen X is 1965 thru 1981, were not that old yet for 65.
I'm an ancient Gen Xer and I'm only 55. And yes I'm little nervous about retiring.
But life is uncertain.
View Quote
This. That's not a gen-x'er you're dealing with, that's a boomer. Gen-X is afraid to retire because the boomers fucked us and looking at millenials and zoomers that are going to have to fill the void and take over operations when we do retire, we're REALLY fucked.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lol they hardly work at all.

Thats what really agitates me. They think that since they've been there so long they "deserve" to just be able to show up and do as little as possible and get a paycheck.

If you don't want to do the work and are able to comfortably retire, freaking RETIRE!
View Quote

Get a grip.  LOL.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gen X is 1965 thru 1981, were not that old yet for 65.
I'm an ancient Gen Xer and I'm only 55. And yes I'm little nervous about retiring.
But life is uncertain.
View Quote

"Nobody knows what the future will bring, but I think I'm gonna like it, in spite of everything, "

-the Larrys
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I can retire at 55.  Only problem is the cost of medical insurance before Medicare kicks in.  If I have to take a part time job to pay my medical that defeats the point of retiring.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#22]
GenX here.  Id probably be ok on just fishing and whores, just saying.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
By Gen X I mean folks that are around retirement age, 65'ish. I think I got that right, not Boomers.

I've got 2 guys in my shop who seem scared to death to retire. I talked with both and neither is hurting for money.

They just talk about how when they "finally" retire they hope the company will allow them to work part-time.

I just don't get it. I'm 40yo and if I could retire tomorrow I would.

Do these people not have any hobbies? Wives they can't stand?

I would have no problem finding things to do between hobbies and just things around the property that need to be done.

View Quote

Retire and do what?

Get paid doing what you like on your terms and just live life.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Based on conversation related to other employees who have retired and passed away within a couple years its almost like they think once they retire they're only going to live another couple years.

Like if they stay on the job, even part time, it'll prolong death lol.
View Quote
That actually happens a lot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
By Gen X I mean folks that are around retirement age, 65'ish. I think I got that right, not Boomers.

I've got 2 guys in my shop who seem scared to death to retire. I talked with both and neither is hurting for money.

They just talk about how when they "finally" retire they hope the company will allow them to work part-time.

I would have no problem finding things to do between hobbies and just things around the property that need to be done.

View Quote
It is impossible for a Gen Xer to be over 58 in 2023.  Most are significantly younger.  You are talking about classic boomers more than 1/3 from the end of their generation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

My coworkers that are eligible are waiting for family or insurance reasons primarily; but none of them aren't looking forward to it. That being said this is government workers so they have been easing into retirement their entire career
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
My buddy is an older Gen X, he's 56 I think, and yeah he is definitely. But he has a reason to some extent. He did not save enough at all. He kept putting off doing more money until now it's too late. He really is going to have to check out soon and he will have to work somewhere. He's burned out anyway. I keep trying to get him to go ahead and retire even if it means working at Lowe's or something. He needs to decompress and go, for his sanity. He really and I mean really hates going to work every day.

Im a young Gen X, one of the last and I can retire on paper. But not on money. Not yet. Realistically I got a bit to go just so I can go. But that's not to say I wouldn't if an opportunity arose.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#28]
There’s a SHOCKING percentage of Arfcommers with Government jobs.   It deserves its own thread, with a poll.  Though I’m not sure they would tell the truth.  

I hope you’re paying attention OP.   You need to get a Government Job!

100% serious.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Well? I don't have a whole lot to retire on right this moment  sooo?

Will work until my body gives out! Or the feds tell me its a no go! Then will still try to find a stable income!
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#30]
In our business I quit working at 50. Finally sold out at 55. 70 now. We're worth more now than when we retired. We had a PLAN. It is working. Health is good. I can still shoot five in groups at 1000. Pool is my friend. Welding and sweating is part of my plan. I mow/maintain our retreat which takes a good 6-8 hours a week. Wife is a home CHEF and a great travel partner. God Bless America and FJB.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because these guys show up at work, don't do anything,  and expect a check.

And they use their age/time at the company as an excuse.

If you don't want to work RETIRE!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This threads gay but as a true gen x  who gives a fuck what's it to you?

Because these guys show up at work, don't do anything,  and expect a check.

And they use their age/time at the company as an excuse.

If you don't want to work RETIRE!

Yeah, bullshit.

I’m OG X’er at 58. I’ll continue to be a top performer for a while yet. And I’ll continue to train and mentor the string of Millennial losers the company throws at me.

Occasionally I find one that is worth the time. Just like every generation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Gen X here, I'm counting down the years, I ain't scared.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Have you met their wives?
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#34]
We'll never retire.  We have to much of a good time making fun of the whiney bitch millennials and purple haired Zoomer freaks that don't know which bathroom to use.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#35]
59 year old boomer here. 38 years union carpenter. I retire in a little over a year. as much as I look forward to retiring it does come with a good bit of uncertainty. 3 years ago gas was $2 a gallon now it's $4.20 a gallon. etc etc! physically I could work until I turn 62 if I wanted to but it's impossible to deal with all the bullshit safety rules now. it really sucks having some 22 year old college grad with a degree in advertising telling me how to work safely. all the fucking assholes think the labor it takes to do a job is only a mouse click away! I have a nice pension and SS kicks in at 62 but there is some anxiety for sure. I should have enough but you never know what the future holds.

the problem with gen x and z don't like to come to work. if they do come to work they don't come in hard to get work done. a few years back I laid of a gen z because he could only work with one hand. he needed his other hand to hold up his fucking pants!
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The old guys generally have the skills, experience to do the "GOOD" jobs, so they take them and stay.

Im there now too, but not eligible to retire yet.

I work with a guy who is 67, could have left years ago with a full pension. Has over $1M in his 401k, wife has $1m in investments and just inherited $2M. Both are collecting SSI already. They definitely don't need the money.

He is a friend so I check in everyday for a coffee and we talk about the stock market.

The only reason I can see that he doesn't go is he would have to spend a lot more time with his wife.
View Quote
this happens more then you would think.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Young gen x

My dream is to semi retire at 50.  Work 25-30 hours a week.

I  think that totally retiring is a bad idea.  Unless you have enough money to do what ever you want and keep busy.  

Being useful and active gives life meaning.  Sitting on the couch watching Matlock is a recipe for an early death.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Scared? No.

Anxious? Maybe.

Then there's the sheer greed aspect.

When you have a considerable nest egg, compound interest is really something to watch. It's easy to want to keep making, vice spending, money, and imagine a better and better retirement. It's very hard to switch from an accumulation mentality to a spending one.
View Quote

It’s weird. I’ve seen this too. People deathly afraid of retiring. They have 5+ million saved. All debts are paid off. But won’t retire because they are “enjoying seeing their wealth grow” but at the same time… all they do is work @70.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Only boomer-math would conclude people 65 years old are gen-x.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Only boomer-math would conclude people 65 years old are gen-x.
View Quote

Yeah, between that and the post a few up that doesn’t know about Millennials shows a whole lot of WTF in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I couldn't retire fast enough at 46 from the Army.now 55, I've worked a couple odd jobs out of boredom, but our property,  animals an grandkids keep me busy enough.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#42]
They probably want or need the income still. I know some who retire and then come back making two incomes. I plan yo do that for awhile.

But when I don’t have to work, if that day ever comes, then I’m not.

When I take my 2 week vacations every year I realize that not working is awesome. Even if I just stay home I start doing things I enjoy. A workout routine. Dinner dates. Spend a few hours cleaning the condo….. a project upgrade on my jeep…then back to the gym.

F**** work! (That’s a GenX motto lol)

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#43]
It’s hard to retire with peace when you see the country failing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Early Gen X. 55 in September and heading out the door.

Why would I be scared of it? I've been planning it for the last 33 1/2 years.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I plan to retire around 58(9.5 years) and will see how the HSA accounts look then and how far that will cover us.   I can easily work part time as a contract employee and cover our heath care cost or extra fun money if need be.   So that is my fall back plan.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#46]
50 years old, born in '73.

The day I can pull chocks and retire, I am staying until Dec 31st that year.

I'll have close to $59k a year pension, plus a nice chunk in my TSP, social security FERS supplement, wifes work savings (self-employed), our savings..we're leaving the USA. There is no sen$e staying here when the systems are designed to take every penny.

I am excited, moving to an area where the average income is less than $30k. Wife will have health insurance under the EU and I will have insurance under Italy only SSN. The tax treaty there doesn't touch .mil or GS pensions.

Can't wait to retire. We're getting on board with my brothers business in Sicily and going to get 2-3 of our own properties.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I can retire at 55.  Only problem is the cost of medical insurance before Medicare kicks in.  If I have to take a part time job to pay my medical that defeats the point of retiring.
View Quote

10 hours a week is better than 40 hours a week.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#48]
OP was raised on common core math and can't figure out how old the youngest Boomer is or how old the oldest Gen Xer is.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I retired 3 years ago, at age 52. I couldn't get the fuck out of there fast enough. Now I mostly just fuck around all day while my wife finishes up her last few months as a slave to the grind.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP was raised on common core math and can't figure out how old the youngest Boomer is or how old the oldest Gen Xer is.

View Quote

Who gives a shit? We knew that he was off the mark a bit. BFD.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top