Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/28/2020 1:47:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not...yet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope....if you have any common sense and situational awareness at all, it's pretty easy to stay out of any "bad" areas where this might happen, or get the hell out of there before it gets too bad.

99.999% of people in and around riots want to be there.......
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to a large 2nd amendment "protest" but I don't think it counts since the governor was the head speaker.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Does VA Lobby Day count?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in a protest against a KKK march in South Boston that degraded into a riot. We had our girls with us so we basically retreated to a friend’s house in the neighborhood while they tore shit up outside. When I noticed shit start to go sideways, I led everybody down the alleys to Dom’s. We had fun at his place.

I learned at that protest that every leftist looney group shows up trying to co-opt the press to cover them...it ended my “activism” quick.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes .Get your back to a wall. You don't want anyone behind you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
No, but I live in nj so I know what prison is like.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
a 'riot' when I was back in college; which was really several thousand drunk college students flooding the streets celebrating a big basketball win.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If you call the Restoring Hope thing Glen Beck did in 2010 a protest, then yes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does VA Lobby Day count?
View Quote

No. Picking up litter and leaving the place cleaner and nicer than it was when you arrived does not count because that's not a riot or protest.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in Berlin in 1997 when they were having their May Day commie pride protest. Lots of police, troops and water cannons. We stayed well away from that shit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
During the 60 day Cambodian Incursion (that triggered the Kent State shootings) I left Vietnam for R&R in Hawaii.  I had a rental car and drove by the Univ of Hawaii right into a huge anti-war demonstration.  

I was very upset as I knew these SOBs were all going to be drunk and partying long before I was going to pick up my waiting M16 and jump a ride into Cambodia.  

No big deal, no one there knew I was a GI, I didn't stay any longer than needed to get my car going again, just an emotional moment for me.  CSB and all that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Multiple riots  in Europe in the late 90s.  Crowds are very unpredictable.  Italian, German and French riot cops don’t fuck around.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Two.
LA at a punk gig. Club on Devonshire Street where the owner lost his operating permit and decided to go ahead  and promote a show anyway.
I truly believe he did it to collect insurance money  because his place got gutted.

Isla Vista during October rugby/ Halloween festivals.
I remember a friend of mine picking a guy up and throwing him through the Taco Bell glass window.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Only to shut one down
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, many times.

We call it Calle Ocho
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
WTO Seattle. It was a week long.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to a Quiet Riot concert decades ago.

It was neither.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#19]
We lived in San Diego during the Rodney King riot. My ex-wife wanted to go up and see them. I calmly told her fuck no.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I was in Bangkok when they were having the big government protests some years back.   I got close enough to say I saw the crowd once but stayed well away.  Protests carried over several weeks.  A sniper dropped a protester in the street and that pretty much fizzled it out and every one drifted on back home over several days.  

It was the slow time for farming so they bussed farmers in from the far reaches and paid them a bit iirc to occupy the streets.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I was near enough to one in Seoul, Korea in the early 90’s to know that I didn’t want to be in one.

ROK Army and Police didn’t fuck around. They busted some heads.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope.

I missed one in Moscow by about 6 hours tho
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes. The 1994 bicentennial protest at Port Chester University.

University president Dr. Garcia-Thompson ended up resigning/being fired on the spot.

Good times...
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I lived in N. St. Louis County about 15 mins drive down Chambers Rd from where all the Michael Brown crap took place.
Many area businesses were looted and vandalized and the natives were running around like the police didn't even exist.

It was Tense.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Got to within a block of an anti-American riot in Panama City, Panama Oct. '85. We took an alternate route to the Holiday Inn.
My only trip that I wished they would have put Us up at Howard AFB instead of downtown.

Scary.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Taksim Square protests, felt safe.  Turks are good people.  If I were in Egypt, would be a different story.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#28]
March 6, 1971. Priest took a bunch of us to the cycle show in Cleveland. Five dead, but it only lasted about fifteen minutes.

May 4, 1970. Buddy and I went to Kent State to the Student Union to rent a foosball machine for an hour or so and to sell lids to the protesting hippies. Four dead. I found out I could run the mile in nanoseconds.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, Richmond VA in February 2020

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#31]
As a 17 year old, I was at the Gun's 'N Roses concert in St Louis that turned into a riot after Axl stormed off stage.
This was where I learned large groups of people are dangerous and stupid.

In 2014 I was one of the many who got play in Ferguson for several months.

Having been on both sides, one thing that is consistent is that large groups of people are stupid and dangerous.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I should have been but never actually have.

Both my parents were the kind of people who loved going to protests and riots. They would talk very fondly of the riots they were involved in but by the time I came along my mother had mellowed out and later on got too sick to do such things.

My father didn't attend any of the big Iraq war protests in the early 2000s and looking back on it I have no idea why.

If I hadn't been in the middle of several crises and on the opposite side of the country I would have liked to have attended the Virginia protest.

I've driven and walked past a variety of protests. Mostly when I lived in Eugene Oregon. Left wing and right wing but never joined in. I suppose I'm just boring.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#33]
1992 Los Angeles...good times.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#35]
"A person is smart. PEOPLE are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

-MIB
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
No, but in college I was at a very large, rowdy party that was broken up by a line of cops in riot gear. There were a few beer bottles thrown at them, but they were pretty quick to disperse the crowd.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#37]
No, and I would keep a wide berth on them.  If for some reason I am trapped in one, I'm armed and take zero bullshit from anyone threatening my life.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Been in a flood—like knee-high water in the basement & sewage filling the basement.

Similar, yet different.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#39]
In another country.  Where I did not look like the locals.  Got off the street and stayed off until things eased up.  Still not sure what it was about.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#40]
'92 King Riots in SF.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#41]
After the Patriots won their first Super Bowl I drove into Boston.  Kenmore Square was a mad house.  People hanging off of street lights, running around screaming in the cold.

When a group of nutjobs flipped over a Volkswagen Bug that was parked on the corner I was like:

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I had 6,000 plus actual self described communists in a foreign country launch a riot and try to surround and get at someone I was sent there to protect. That was exciting.

Also, apparently a lot of foreign police don't fuck around...they went 0 to 60 fast when folks acted up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Twice

Observations: crowd of random people can work together to set stuff on fire pretty quick, tear gas isn't great, and horse+ cop is pretty intimidating
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was in a protest against a KKK march in South Boston that degraded into a riot. We had our girls with us so we basically retreated to a friend’s house in the neighborhood while they tore shit up outside. When I noticed shit start to go sideways, I led everybody down the alleys to Dom’s. We had fun at his place.

I learned at that protest that every leftist looney group shows up trying to co-opt the press to cover them...it ended my “activism” quick.

View Quote

Fuck, that's just Tuesday in Southie...or was when I lived there 30 years ago.  I went out one afternoon to get subs at D'Angelos on Dot Ave and came back with blood on me.  Guys asked what happened and my response was basically just "Southie."
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#45]
LA 1992....lived in the middle of Hollywood at the time.

The day the riot started, my girlfriend at the time and I were out shopping for a new bed at some of the discount stores clustered in the Mid-Wilshire area.  We had heard of disturbances going on in South Central, but that was several miles away and seemed disconnected from my a/o.  That changed within hours when the gangs started going mobile, and stretching the looting into more upscale areas.

There was a big department store across the street at the time -- Robinson May -- and while we were in the mattress shop we hear screams and turn to the front of the store -- big windows - and see people running - fleeing -- down the street.    The salesman, the owner, and myself walked to the front door and saw car loads of bangers -- like a scene from boyz in da hood -- some brandishing arms out the windows of the cars...  some of the cars would stop -- bangers would get out -- pick up trash cans, bus stop benches, newspaper vending machines -- whtever - and throw them through the glass windows of the stores on Wilshire...

Seeing this -- the owner turned to the customers in the store and told everyone to get in the back, while telling his delivery guys -- who were all very well sized brothers, if you get my drift -- to come stand at the front to dissuade the bangers from rolling up on the mattress store.   I'm not big, brave, or smart, but I was armed, so I hung with the guys out front.   The cars rolled toward our end of the block...gave us the slllllllllllooooooooow drive by with "the look"...but probably figured they didn't want to tangle with Heavy D and the multiple big 200-pound 6'6" crew of employees.............................and the one skinny white guy, hiding behind them...lol.

After that, we figured we wouldn't press our luck for the next couple of days as things escalated further.

We watched Hollywood burn from the roof of our apartment building.  Great way to meet your neighbors.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does VA Lobby Day count?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#47]

I was in Sudan two weeks before the revolution.

I asked my guy what that convoy of army trucks was for. Probably 50-100 technical looking things with DShK’s locked and loaded heading down the road.

He said they were going to end the protests for the day.

I tried to stay away from the protests.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
After the Patriots won their first Super Bowl I drove into Boston.  Kenmore Square was a mad house.  People hanging off of street lights, running around screaming in the cold.

When a group of nutjobs flipped over a Volkswagen Bug that was parked on the corner I was like:

https://i.imgur.com/PZXDRrQm.jpg
View Quote

I was there. Lots of flaming toilet paper rolls being tossed around.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Crown Heights in '91, Washington Heights in '92.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I've somehow managed to end up in several in my life.

Walking into work in Bahrain in 2011, I came around the corner in american alley near the far east side, and boom, tear gas canisters and people running. Caught a good punch to the neck by a running protester and blindly got my way to the base for work for the day

And over the last year I've spent a ton of time in Chile for work and have gotten caught up in a ton of their bullshit. Has been interesting how quick they pop up in quiet towns and neighborhoods down there.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top