Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I prefer my Mr. Handy.  He’s soooo handy!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It is still one of the great mysteries, people can design and program a complex neural network but nobody really knows how it actually learns to do stuff.

I have written several myself and while I can explain what each part of the code does, I simply cannot tell you how the code actually interprets the data it is given to arrive at the conclusions that it does. No idea at all.

View Quote
Jesus christ...

Neural networks are incredibly well understood. If you don't understand the forward propagation, error calc, then back propagation reweighting process (through num of epochs iteration ) you really, really shouldn't be commenting on this topic.

Having "no idea at all" how training/weighting works is just patently ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of unsupervised learning and neural networks.
View Quote
Lol. Someone beat me to it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Whelp... I've now read the whole thread...

GD and AI .
Zoolander (9/10) Movie CLIP - Computer Experts (2001) HD

When I get back from my tdy, I'll post some extracts on how the various NNs are calculated.

Having to calculate NNs, by hand on paper, is like 3XX level stuff. Even undergrads can do that...shit, I might still have entire NNs designed and calculated by hand.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.  Computers cannot, and do not, "think".  They execute decisions that humans made and that are stored within them.

There is enough not known about what self-awareness is, heuristic decision-making, emotion, etc. that even if it was replicable (and there is NO evidence that it is), we would not know how to replicate it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a PhD in computer science and I have zero concerns whatsoever about the singularity.
This.  Computers cannot, and do not, "think".  They execute decisions that humans made and that are stored within them.

There is enough not known about what self-awareness is, heuristic decision-making, emotion, etc. that even if it was replicable (and there is NO evidence that it is), we would not know how to replicate it.
You need to get out of 2001. Most big data hasn't functioned like that for years now. Modern computers are basically given LEGOs, shown by humans how to assemble them, and given examples of completed LEGOs as an end target. Via deep learning the machine learns itself, teaches itself, and improves upon what it's learned iteratively from there, without the need for human input. It's maybe given nudges in the right direction if it goes in the wrong one.

We're still a long-ass way off from self-aware AI, but this nonsense I keep seeing bandied about how computers are still confined to if-then logic and only able to execute pre-programmed commands is like telling a modern shooter about how you'll never get the smoke out of black powder. The subject as you understand it moved on to new paradigms quite a while ago.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And here I thought you were talking about Sgr A*.
View Quote
Me too.

Was really looking forward to discussing a point in spacetime which has infinite, or at least, extremely high density.

A technological singularity sounds stupid.

I don't believe that The Terminator is real life.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#10]
The irony is the Roomba now maps out its surroundings and makes much more efficient use of battery power through its mapping and use of visual landmarks, as well as even empties itself now on the high end models.

Meanwhile driving in a direction until they hit and object and then changing direction randomly is rapidly becoming too advanced a concept for Dems.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Tonight I will post how to calculate every single element in a perceptron. You'll need to already have a background in calc3/diffyQ, linear algebra, calc based probalistics, and control systems for it to really make sense.

But it will clearly show that this stuff is very well understood.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tonight I will post how to calculate every single element in a perceptron. You'll need to already have a background in calc3/diffyQ, linear algebra, calc based probalistics, and control systems for it to really make sense.

But it will clearly show that this stuff is very well understood.
View Quote
I’ll be buzzed so this should be good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you were to grab a person from a few hundred years ago and transport them to modern life we would appear to be godlike.  Summoning our devices with our voices, communicating to anyone through thin air with all the knowledge of the world on a tablet.  
View Quote
No.  Our observer from the past would note that we eat, shit, piss, reproduce, get injured, get sick, are fallible, argue, die - are in fact HUMANS, not "gods", no matter how cool our toys are to them.

You need to seriously rethink your credulity on the term "godlike".

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's a known fact that there are limits on computing power. The width of a transistor is limited by the size of an electron, for example, so you cannot add infinitely more transistors to a chip. The laws of thermodynamics also present a limiting factor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The concept of the singularity is only tacitly connected to AI.

But here is a question: do you believe there is an upper limit to computing horsepower?
It's a known fact that there are limits on computing power. The width of a transistor is limited by the size of an electron, for example, so you cannot add infinitely more transistors to a chip. The laws of thermodynamics also present a limiting factor.
As is the speed of light.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top