Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Twice.  First was when driving in heavy traffic.  Sucked.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I started getting them after a severe concussion. I got hit head on while riding my motorcycle by an F250 powerstroke.

I can't figure out the trigger but I can't drive or work until they subside. Usually 30 minutes +/-10. Mine are prismatic like most but the center focal point is obscured to the point I can't see what the hell I am doing so I have to sit or lay down until they subside.

I thought something was majorly wrong but when I brought it up to my eye doctor he knew exactly what it was and said it's common.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I get them about once every two years, no pain, just a slowly expanding field of distortion, a giant circle. Really sucks if I am doing something, because I know I have to stop while this thing goes through it's cycle. Takes about 15-20 minutes and it has expanded out of my vision, and that's it. Nothing else. I wondered for YEARS what it was, but nobody could tell me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started getting them after a severe concussion. I got hit head on while riding my motorcycle by an F250 powerstroke.

I can't figure out the trigger but I can't drive or work until they subside. Usually 30 minutes +/-10. Mine are prismatic like most but the center focal point is obscured to the point I can't see what the hell I am doing so I have to sit or lay down until they subside.

I thought something was majorly wrong but when I brought it up to my eye doctor he knew exactly what it was and said it's common.
View Quote

I had a concussion at about 18 years old and they actually started happening less often than before.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:12:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's close to what I get. They start small and grow over 10 minutes or so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine usually look like this...and the prism effect 'scintillates' (as best I can describe it).https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/153820/Screenshot_20171121-154816-2155971.jpg
That's close to what I get. They start small and grow over 10 minutes or so.
Oddly (and luckily?),  I only experience the optical phenomenon...no headache associated with my epidodes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:30:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes I get them sometimes. Maybe about once a year. Had one just the other day. It suddenly disappeared and I had no headache after. I have gotten headache with it in the past.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:32:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes i get them. I had a thread about them here a while back, and I guess they happen to a lot of people.
View Quote
Same here. No headaches....just loss of vision.  Lots of "sparklies".

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Had one last week for the first time in over a year. Leads to full blown migraine. Next day I feel hungover and my brain rattled.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks OP!!

Haven’t had one in a few years.  

Now I have a good one going on.  

I blame you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#10]
i get them rarely, and they suck. sleep is the only thing that helps mine.

i have no idea what triggers them.

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Found a video that looks alot like what I see except mine have more color.

Migraine Visual Aura - How it may happen...

I guess she and the kids triggered his.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I get them, they are weird and sometimes upsetting when you're going through one. It's hard to accept your vision being so severely impaired, yet (thankfully) not permanent.

I started getting them very frequently and attributed them to a Protein supplement that was Whey based. I stopped taking the supplement and the migraines went away. So at least I figured out one definite trigger.

Stress is a clearly another.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]
And here it goes again.

Third time in two days, the most in a long time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And here it goes again.

View Quote
This is entirely anecdotal but my most trouble free time was when I was heavily on my keto/paleo hybrid diet and had lost the extra 85 pounds I had been packing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And here it goes again.

View Quote

See about getting a prescription for Imitrex.

I've been getting ocular migraines since I was 17, but I have been lucky in that they happen less than 6 times a year. More recently, I identified beer as one of my triggers, unfortunately.

In any case, until about 2 years ago (I'm 46 now), I've been self medicating them with a fistful of ibuprofen and coke (the drink), and isolating myself in a dark/quiet space. My doc finally convinced me to try Imitrex even with how infrequent mine are.

Now, as soon as I sense one coming on, I pop a single pill and it knocks it out completely. Doesn't wreck me for the rest of the day like before.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Only ever had one

scary when you don't know what is happening
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Give Nurtec (Rimegepant) a try.
Wife Unit swears by it....
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've had several in my life, not regularly thank God.

My wife gets them on occasion.   We call it the flashy thing.   Presents like psychedelic eye floaters and you loose central vision.

First time it happened I thought I was going blind.  
View Quote

Or having a stroke. Pretty close to the panic point, first time.

OP: Try this. As soon as you feel one coming on, go to a dark, quiet room. Lay down and close your eyes. Stay till its gone, usually 30 minutes or so. Hour to be safe if you have the time.
If I do this, I get no headache.

I have had to battle through them before because of driving or a job and it brings on a pretty good headache. Probably not smart.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#22]
every few years I get one. Lasty one I had I drank some coffee and it went away. I've read cafine can help, it did on that occasion.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Started getting a Halo about 20 minutes ago. Popped an imitrex. Gone, like a light switch. One second it was there, next second it was gone.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top