Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/15/2022 1:12:59 PM EDT
The battery in my vehicle is not accessible to attach jumper cables...

Anyone have a jump box they can recommend?

One of my Marines said NOCO boost X, was a good one.

TIA

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't say I have a lot of experience, but I've used this one before:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M41FX48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently used my GooLoo GP4000 for the first time.

Here is the GP4000

The GP2000 may be adequate as well at about half the price of the GP4000.  Also checkout the NOCO brand.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The battery in my vehicle is not accessible to attached jumper cables...

TIA

View Quote

I bought the AVAPOW 6000. It’s like $130 with their current $20 coupon. It should start anything I own, it DOES come with a case, and the ‘charger’ it is ‘missing’ is USB power block. I have a USB outlet and enough blocks to disagree with the statement ‘the charger is missing.’
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a noco gb50 or whatever they call it. Has saved me countless times. Only issue I have had was when I parked my car for 2 weeks while I was gone for work. Came back and the pack said it was too cold to work. Was about -20. Was warming it up in my jacket when someone gave me a jump.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a noco gb50 or whatever they call it. Has saved me countless times. Only issue I have had was when I parked my car for 2 weeks while I was gone for work. Came back and the pack said it was too cold to work. Was about -20. Was warming it up in my jacket when someone gave me a jump.
View Quote

-20F is an extreme case.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought another Type S at Costco today for $60.00

I gave mine to my daughter after helping jump her car so bought another for myself. You can also charge a phone with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a $45 one from WM some years back.  It’s worked multiple times for me.  It stopped holding a charge, so at the suggestion of my TechnoGenius friend, I opened it up, replaced the battery and off we go again.  I use it fairly often to start the ZT mower or some other piece of equipment.

In retrospect, I’d get one with longer cables and with a cigarette lighter and USB port on it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TIA

View Quote

NOCO makes some good ones, and they are very small.... Dont skimp for the least expensive one though, you want something with some cranking amps!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have Anti Gravity XP-3 in all of my cars and bought them for my dads cars and my brothers cars/trucks and boat.
My k5 has the big NOCO GB70
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Noco GB150 4000 amp. ive had it for about 3 or 4 years and has never given me an issue. i use it quite regular/often as im a mobile mechanic. has a voltmeter display to see how many volts are in battery and while vehicle running. best thing i ever bought. used it regularly to start stone cold semi's
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

-20F is an extreme case.
View Quote

Not here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can't say I have a lot of experience, but I've used this one before:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M41FX48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked well.
View Quote

Yup. Works great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Gooloo GP4000 since I have a diesel in my pickup. has worked great, when I needed it. They do make smaller ones.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a NOCO GB40 in both our vehicles, parents' vehicles, and in laws' vehicle.  During COVID they actually moved production from China to Malaysia and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

So far I've only used them to jump start other vehicles, and they have done a great job each time.  (My cars get AGM batteries every time and I replace them when they get weak.)
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a jump starter thing by a company called Halo, but you have to be able to access the battery terminals to hook it up.  
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have the Noco GB150 4000 amp. ive had it for about 3 or 4 years and has never given me an issue. i use it quite regular/often as im a mobile mechanic. has a voltmeter display to see how many volts are in battery and while vehicle running. best thing i ever bought. used it regularly to start stone cold semi's
View Quote

Wow!  That thing is tiny!  Amazing!

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve got the NOCO Boost X GBX55 and it has worked well. One complaint it the plastic that covers the clamps overhangs a little bit, and the clamps have enough force to break the plastic if the plastic contacts before the metal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#18]
NOCO gb40’s in all the vehicles. Work good. One VERY nice feature is you have the option to bypass the protections so if you have a dead flat battery you can still jump it. Lots of jump boxes require 2-3’volts on the system for it to work.  

They go on sale on Amazon fairly often for decent prices.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#19]
We use the Noco Genius on my family's car lot, and it works great.  I have a Wagen Power Dome Plex for myself.  I use the built in air compressor more than I use the jump starter.  https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EL7561-Portable-Compressor-Inverter/dp/B07L5HNH5Z
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

TIA

View Quote

Serious question, OP, if you can't access your battery to attach jumper cables, then how would you use any of the suggest jump starter boxes?  Don't they all require clamping down on the two battery terminals?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Big Dewalt with air compressor here.

Really like it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#22]
NOCO is the answer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Serious question, OP, if you can't access your battery to attach jumper cables, then how would you use any of the suggest jump starter boxes?  Don't they all require clamping down on the two battery terminals?
View Quote
Need to attach a cord with a plug, to the battery.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a NOCO that collects dust. POS. Was going to link the last one I bought on amazon but no longer listed. Suggest surfing
models and reviews on amazon. Should be able to find a decent one for around $100 or less.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of the jump starters, battery chargers, and battery maintainers will come with both jumper cables and ring/eyelet terminals with some type of connecter. The ring/eyelet terminals allow one to attach them to the battery posts in an inconvenient/inaccessible spot, then run the wire out to where one can access it. Then one just attaches the connectors together and away they go to jumpstart or charge/maintain the battery.

For example one from NOCO:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC002-Eyelet-Terminal-Connector/dp/B004LWQ35Y

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Keep a big ass jump box on my boat.  I don't recall the brand, but it was over $500.

Tony

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

How would you use a jump starter box?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Some of the jump starters, battery chargers, and battery maintainers will come with both jumper cables and ring/eyelet terminals with some type of connecter. The ring/eyelet terminals allow one to attach them to the battery posts in an inconvenient/inaccessible spot, then run the wire out to where one can access it. Then one just attaches the connectors together and away they go to jumpstart or charge/maintain the battery.

For example one from NOCO:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC002-Eyelet-Terminal-Connector/dp/B004LWQ35Y

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81iSVLoemtL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg
View Quote

Are those wires large enough to handle starting current?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#29]
JNC660

It won't fit in your glove box, but this is what most tow truck drivers carry.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an Anker, it works well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Some time in 2018 I had a 1996 F250 with the 460 gas motor.  I left the lights on and killed the battery in a parking lot.  With jumper cables in hand I went searching the parking lot for a person to jump start the truck.  A guy dressed in slacks and a sport coat and driving a large BMW drive up and asked excitedly "Hey, do you need a jump?!"

So this guy got one of these jump start batteries as a gift and had been dying to try it out.  A little one.  I told him no way that little thing is going to turn over this truck, but there was no harm in trying.  Sure enough the truck fired right up.  I was happy to eat crow on that one.  They guy, despite being dressed nice wanted to do the all the hooking and unhooking and watched the little LCD screen on it while using it.  He looked like a kid at Christmas the whole time.  

i asked him if he'd take any money for the trouble.  He said "Are you serious?  No!"  

lol.  

Thank you well dressed BMW man.  

I now have what ever brand costco sold for a while in all my cars.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some time in 2018 I had a 1996 F250 with the 460 gas motor.  I left the lights on and killed the battery in a parking lot.  With jumper cables in hand I went searching the parking lot for a person to jump start the truck.  A guy dressed in slacks and a sport coat and driving a large BMW drive up and asked excitedly "Hey, do you need a jump?!"

So this guy got one of these jump start batteries as a gift and had been dying to try it out.  A little one.  I told him no way that little thing is going to turn over this truck, but there was no harm in trying.  Sure enough the truck fired right up.  I was happy to eat crow on that one.  They guy, despite being dressed nice wanted to do the all the hooking and unhooking and watched the little LCD screen on it while using it.  He looked like a kid at Christmas the whole time.  

i asked him if he'd take any money for the trouble.  He said "Are you serious?  No!"  

lol.  

Thank you well dressed BMW man.  

I now have what ever brand costco sold for a while in all my cars.  

View Quote

I was excited to use my NOCO the first time too. I have the GB70, it still impresses me every time I use it. I jumped a V-10 truck and 2 fork lifts one day without recharging it. To be able to store enough power after being charged by just a USB cord still amazes me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Stoopid question but is there any danger to storing one of those long term in a vehicle?  Like a fire danger, battery leakage, etc?  I carry jumper cables in my 4Runner but I gotta admit those things seem pretty cool and are small enough to easily be stored in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

for 10 seconds or so, sure!

the tables for current capacity are for continuous load & very conservative.  starting with a room temperature conductor you have enough crank time before the insulation starts to smoke.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#35]
You have a mini? Friend has one, and I had a hell of a time helping jump start her car. I think I ended up using my jump starter box since the leads and cables are smaller.

My battery died while camping. The jump starter box saved my bacon.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Stoopid question but is there any danger to storing one of those long term in a vehicle?  Like a fire danger, battery leakage, etc?  I carry jumper cables in my 4Runner but I gotta admit those things seem pretty cool and are small enough to easily be stored in a vehicle.
View Quote

I don't see how it could be any worse than your car battery baking under the hood of your car/truck when it's 100* outside every day. Interiors do get hotter than exteriors, but I would think it would be ok under a seat or something as long as it's not exposed to direct sunlight.

I will say that those things work better than jumper cables, and you can charge usb electronics with them as well.
eta I have the Anker Roav one.. doesn't have a fancy led display but works well and it small.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would assume so. The fine print for the previosly posted eyelet NOCO cables says this: "Not compatible with NOCO Boost or Boost X UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starters." NOCO have the following as well which is 8AWG wire which does indicate is for their NOCO Lithium Jump Starters:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F36LXZ?tag=arfcom00-20

About this item
• Easily swap between NOCO Boost and Boost X UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starters and NOCO Genius Smart Battery Chargers.
• A permanent connection for both jump starting or battery charging through a single accessory.
• An 18.5-inch eyelet terminal accessory with M6 hole size and 8AWG silicone wire maintains flexibility in cold environments.
• Compatible with Boost and Boost X UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starters - GB20, GB40, GB50, and GBX45.
• Also compatible with Genius Smart Battery Chargers - with adapter attached - G750, G1100, G3500, and G7200, as well as GENIUS1, GENIUS2, GENIUS2X2, GENIUS2X4, GENIUS5, and GENIUS10.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I keep a DBPower 1000A in both my and my wife’s vehicles.  Used it on her car and two stranded individuals.  Works great.  I think it sells for around $75 now on Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Here is the GP4000

The GP2000 may be adequate as well at about half the price of the GP4000.  Also checkout the NOCO brand.
View Quote

Yep Gooloo has worked well in my experiences too. I don't use it often, but it has always worked.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I have one from Harbor Freight and it works well. Have used it on everything from large dump trucks down to atvs and it does it well.

However if you can't access the battery easily I would suggest getting a set of good jumper cables and cutting the clamps off one end and using a battery quick disconnect like

Then attaching another to the battery with a good set of ring clamps and wire equivalent to the jumper cables.

Hint: if you get long enough jumper cables you can use a section for both.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Here is the GP4000

View Quote

I have the GP4000 as well.  So far, it's started everything I've hooked it to with ease.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a NOCO in every car in our household and have gifted them to family.   They all work.  My daughter came home from school year or so ago.  She was proud of herself. Some little old lady had battery issues at the grocery store.   Lady’s  grown son was there trying to figure out jumper cables.  Daughter reached in her trunk, strolled over and started the car like a boss.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Add into the case a strip of emery cloth, small rag, HF black plastic handle wire brush, and small knipex/channelock pliers.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Here is the GP4000

View Quote

Picked up a GOOLOO GP1500 off Amazon back in 2020 on sale for $48.59. Haven't had a chance to use it yet though to jump a car. Still keep jumper cables in the vehicle just in case as a backup.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

TIA

View Quote

I’d hate to break it to you but you would attach  the jumper cables to the same locations as a jump box.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#48]
+5
on the gooloo 4000
i have started a 8.3 cummins with mine
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I got a noco boost gbx55. Thing is huge, way bigger than the gb40 I used to have. It’s like twice as thick.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Had one yeas ago,(early 90S) leaked like a sieve after 2 years, can't remember the brand, destroyed my cabinet and floor. Give me a good set of jumper cables any time. Never failed me or anybody I was trying to help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top