Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you want to know? Or are you just randomly asking?

would you put one on a pistol you were going to carry concealed daily?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an RMR on my suppressed Glock.

A friend of mine does these conversions (ATEiguns does both shortened Glocks and RMR integrated slide mounts), and he carries his RMR'd pistol everywhere he goes. I don't care for it because iron sights are faster initially for me, he says finding the dot isn't a problem with a little trigger time and training. It's not far off the mark for me, I just can't draw and present with my dot on target as fast as I can Irons. It takes an extra half second or so to get the optic lined up. I'd expect that it's 2 of 6 and 1/2 dozen once you have time with the RMR'd gun.

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've always wanted a 1911 with officer's frame and full size slide.    

I'd settle for a G17 slide and G26 frame as long as they get rid of the stupid grip angle and give it a flat mainspring housing feel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry, glock 26 magazines
I've always wanted a G19 with a G34 slide conversion.

I've always wanted a 1911 with officer's frame and full size slide.    

I'd settle for a G17 slide and G26 frame as long as they get rid of the stupid grip angle and give it a flat mainspring housing feel.

Wait, you just said you hate the Glock's grip angle but love the 1911s in the same sentence.

Did you know.... that their grip angles.... ARE THE SAME!??!!?

My friend, what you don't like about the Glock is the hump on the grip.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Soon....very soon
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Newb 13'er question of the day, do they automatically turn on when drawn or do you have to switch them on?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Newb 13'er question of the day, do they automatically turn on when drawn or do you have to switch them on?
View Quote

You leave them on all the time. I jut picked up a RMR to have mounted on a M&P slide. Looking for differant companies to do the work.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I carry this with a MIC holster quite a bit

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/akscott60/media/image_zpsff02a52f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/akscott60/image_zpsff02a52f.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

RMRs are always on. Roughly a 2 year battery life on them(the battery powered ones obviously).
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some don't need batteries, so are always on
Soe that need batteries have a light sensor that turns them on, some have a switch, some are always on
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Love mine....especially when combined with my suppressor. Makes it easier to aim at stuff.

Pew-pew-pew.... 'Murica!

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]

ETA:

Slide work done by Doug at ATEi
Grip work by Logan at Enhanced Precision Products
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Seen too many reports of the battery losing contact with the RMR while mounted on a pistol. According to ATEI that does a lot of milling for the RMR's they have enough variation between them that ATEI needs the particular RMR you will use to measure and mount it correctly.  

I'll wait for the next couple of generations.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Love mine....especially when combined with my suppressor. Makes it easier to aim at stuff.

Pew-pew-pew.... 'Murica!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/9929358774_261c6756e9_h.jpg
View Quote

What slide is that?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What slide is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pew-pew-pew.... 'Murica!

What slide is that?
That's the TSD slide, Brownells has it for around $350 if I recall.  My slide is out with Doug at ATEi right now.

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What slide is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pew-pew-pew.... 'Murica!

What slide is that?

ETA: Beat by a few min.

It's a TSD Combat Systems slide. I ended up getting it from One Source Tactical.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fully utilize?

Real G19s hold 15.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sticking with the G19 now that you can fully utilize the 10 round mags again?

Fully utilize?

Real G19s hold 15.

Or 17 or 32.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Im considering this as well because Im cross dominant.  Im hoping it will make target acquisition faster.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im considering this as well because Im cross dominant.  Im hoping it will make target acquisition faster.
View Quote

I'm cross dominant, and its amazing having the RMR/iron sights setup on a pistol.

I love it so much, that I now have 4 pistols setup with RMRs and co-witnessing BUIS.

I will say this - if you try it, go all out, and get your slide milled, or try an M&P CORE, as they allow the iron sights to co-witness with the optic.

Trying a red dot on a pistol without co-witnessing iron sights will only frustrate you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm cross dominant, and its amazing having the RMR/iron sights setup on a pistol.

I love it so much, that I now have 4 pistols setup with RMRs and co-witnessing BUIS.

I will say this - if you try it, go all out, and get your slide milled, or try an M&P CORE, as they allow the iron sights to co-witness with the optic.

Trying a red dot on a pistol without co-witnessing iron sights will only frustrate you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 17 chopped to a 19. Does that count?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]

I love the CORE, and think its a great way for shooters to get into the game, without having to send their slides out for milling, etc.

I love mine!

Without the can -

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
For the suppressed guns, how many rounds until the front screen of the rmr is black?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Why do I suddenly have the urge to buy a Glock
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's mine, we've done quite a few melted Burris FF lll's
Actually this was the first cut 3mm , since those pics I lowered it 1 more mm, it's now melted in 4mm, and also installed a taller front post.

Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I have and use RMR's alot. I have them mounted on my rifle and Glock. I really like the dual illuminated models.  I have used the battery operated Trijicon and the Leupold Delta point. I still prefer the the Dual RMR but the Delta point is a better reticule.

I first mounted the RMR in place of the rear sights on my Glock. This is a mistake. When you mount only the dot and front sight, you fish around to pick up the correct sight picture with your eyes. This takes time and can really slow you down.

You really need to be able to cowitness the irons and dot to be fast and effective when shooting the pistol. The best way to do this is the extended height suppressor irons. You've spent years bring iron sights up and into your field of view to get on target. Cowitnessing your irons and dot lets you piggyback on this learned skill.

I've tried irons, dot and front and cowitnessed dot and irons. The cowitnessed system is as fast on first shot as irons and faster on target transition for other shots.

The success of dots on rifles, without cowitnessing the iron sight, is based on a repeatable cheek weld. If you try lifting your head off of the stock you'll have the same problem occur(fishing around for the dot).

My experience is that if you want to go this way:
1. Get a quality dot that has a reticule that you like and can use out past 25 yards. Red dots really shine on long pistol shots.
Quality Dots are made by Leupold, Trijicon and Doctor Optics.

2. Have the slide milled for placement of the red dot.
You can get this done or buy it off of the shelf. TSD Glock have it done[cylinder and slide Don't forget Glockworx.]

3. Extended irons
You need them. Try Brownells or Heine.

4. Practice. This is really new and you will need a lot of draw and presentation practice to get used to the new set up. It is worth it red dots are great for old eyes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#26]
stupid question...but is the RMR fiber optic (takes its light from the sun)  or a battery?  

wondering how much a pain in the ass is it to have to turn your dot on for your go-to carry piece
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
stupid question...but is the RMR fiber optic (takes its light from the sun)  or a battery?  

wondering how much a pain in the ass is it to have to turn your dot on for your go-to carry piece
View Quote

Just like any other RDS, turn it ON an LEAVE it on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For the suppressed guns, how many rounds until the front screen of the rmr is black?
View Quote

Depends on the gun; different guns cause different amounts of blowback.

My FNX-45 Tactical gets decently dirty after about 100 rounds, and I have to wipe it off.

My Glock 19 barely gets dirty........the M&P doesn't get dirty at all.

They're all quite useable after they get dirty though.....all it takes is a wipe of the finger, and its clean.....or use a piece of clear scotch tape and put it over the front screen of the RMR like I do now....
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have all flavors of the RMR.....the auto-adjusting LED version stays on for 2 years straight......the Adjustable LED RMR stays on for about 4 years on setting 3 or 4......the Dual-Illum Fiber Optic is always on, and has no batteries; works like an ACOG in terms of it using light during the day, and tritium at night.....the Dual-Illum models are subject to washout, but that's why you have iron sights....

Of the 3 flavors of RMR I have, I went from preferring the Dual-Illuminated model, to preferring the Adjustable LED model.....its nice to have night vision compatibility, (for when I get NV), and being able to turn the dot up to work with a weapon light.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I think my 19 will end up with one eventually. Would love to shoot one first but am pretty sure I would like it as I have shot plenty of red dot handguns.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s389.photobucket.com/user/aimless223/media/cropped-FNX-45_zps590295f5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo333/aimless223/cropped-FNX-45_zps590295f5.jpg</a>

Photo of a Glock with attached red dot sight and suppressor back up irons

(photo stolen from http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/products-page/  )

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgxucsNJ4x7BJko6Y3zWpu_ohlXfn9hwhQaYMytKnwPJ4SRUGUNg

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/why-am-i-not-going-to-carry-my-new-glock-26l-carry-gun/18169/

"Glock 26L" a Glock 19 cut down to take Glock 26 magazines.

View Quote

Mark at L&M built my G19 (had grip mods done as well), I will have him do a G26 this year.  Over 4000 rounds, same battery going on 19 months (RMR-02) and zero issues and this is my primary EDC pistol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have the fiber optic one and don't really like it, but it makes pistol shooting with NVGs easier. I would say to make sure you don't get a model that has the sight adjustment screws that can come loose.

O may sell my slide off, and wait to get back in when a QD mount becomes available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I actually don't like it for regular use because I am so used to irons on pistols that I am much faster with them.

I think I spend too much time trying to perfectly center the dot.

Its pretty good for suppressed NVG use though.

ETA: If you do get one make sure to get the adjustable one, I have that and the fiber optic/tritium one, like the adjustable a million times better.

I have the fiber optic one and don't really like it, but it makes pistol shooting with NVGs easier. I would say to make sure you don't get a model that has the sight adjustment screws that can come loose.

O may sell my slide off, and wait to get back in when a QD mount becomes available.

The Adjustable LED models (RM06/RM07) have two dedicated NV settings.

Depending on your night vision monocular and ambient light, the Dual-Illuminated RMR could cause massive blooming.

Also, in regard to the adjustment issues - Trijicon started putting out new models around late September 2013; the RMR's with the 2D data matrix barcode on the right side, are the ones with the newer, more robust internals.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thinking about cutting my 21 down to take 30 mags actually, I never carry it anyways  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sticking with the G19 now that you can fully utilize the 10 round mags again?
Thinking about cutting my 21 down to take 30 mags actually, I never carry it anyways  

If there was only a way to get a 19 size mag in a 21, that would be perfection.
OP, I do own a G22 cut down to take G23 mags, and I absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:17:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I have one on a G19 I carry AIWB often.

Here it is during the annual battery change.

I have an RM63 sealing plate but am being lazy and havent installed it yet.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:06:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Bump, because this thread is awesome.

ETA: Pew-pew-pew, 'Murica, fuck yeah!

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bump, because this thread is awesome.

ETA: Pew-pew-pew, 'Murica, fuck yeah!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2869/9111110791_3057a7d99c_h.jpg
View Quote

Now,  that IS awesome .
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Gotta give credit where it's due -

Trent at Unity Tactical is a great dude to deal with; answered all my questions, and is genuine.

If ya'll are looking for a pre-milled slide for your Glock, check out Unity Tactical.

I bought a Unity Tactical ATOM slide in FDE for my G19, and already bought the RMR and Aimpoint Micro adapter plate for it; I'm gonna try out both optics to see which one I like the most.

ETA: Not affiliated with UT in any way; just giving credit where its due, and recommending a good solution for individuals who want to get into the MRDS Glock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Trent at Unity Tactical is a great dude to deal with; answered all my questions, and is genuine.

If ya'll are looking for a pre-milled slide for your Glock, check out Unity Tactical.

I bought a Unity Tactical ATOM slide in FDE for my G19, and already bought the RMR and Aimpoint Micro adapter plate for it; I'm gonna try out both optics to see which one I like the most.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7439/10100622316_590055b3e1_h.jpg

ETA: Not affiliated with UT in any way; just giving credit where its due, and recommending a good solution for individuals who want to get into the MRDS Glock.
View Quote

I would really like to go the ATOM direction.  Either have one of my slides done or order one from him.
http://www.unitytactical.com/products/atom-mount/#!prettyPhoto
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would really like to go the ATOM direction.  Either have one of my slides done or order one from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7439/10100622316_590055b3e1_h.jpg

Try Austere Provisions and Sport Optics. They're all dealers of the ATOM line of Unity Tactical stuff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a T1 on my HD G19.  I like it but I do think irons are faster.  Low light its hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a T1 on my HD G19.  I like it but I do think irons are faster.  Low light its hard to beat.
View Quote

IMHO, irons are definitely faster than an RMR at close range.

The RMR really starts to shine when you go past 10 yards, and farther.........I like to use the window of the RMR as a faux ghost ring for targets within 5 yards; works really good once you get a feel for it....I feel as if the Micro would be even better for that application.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/g300d/8DDD49C7-7940-46E4-B06D-83A9231EEA60-4234-0000048182F92B3F.jpg
View Quote

What worries me is how little slide material there is between the irons and the optic cutout. I'd be afraid of dropping the pistol and breaking the slide if the iron caught the ground just right. Or is there enough material there that the thought is unrealistic?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What worries me is how little slide material there is between the irons and the optic cutout. I'd be afraid of dropping the pistol and breaking the slide if the iron caught the ground just right. Or is there enough material there that the thought is unrealistic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/g300d/8DDD49C7-7940-46E4-B06D-83A9231EEA60-4234-0000048182F92B3F.jpg

No worries on that front.......there's plenty of meat there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Hell yes.

I just ordered a 6354DO for a G17 w/ X300......now to wait for Safariland to ship it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hell yes.

I just ordered a 6354DO for a G17 w/ X300......now to wait for Safariland to ship it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hell yes.

They work bad ass. I've been extremely happy with mine. The X300U will fit too if you flip over the disc in the bottom and file off the plastic ridge a bit. It's super easy to do and takes all of 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s389.photobucket.com/user/aimless223/media/cropped-FNX-45_zps590295f5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo333/aimless223/cropped-FNX-45_zps590295f5.jpg</a>

Photo of a Glock with attached red dot sight and suppressor back up irons

(photo stolen from http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/products-page/  )

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgxucsNJ4x7BJko6Y3zWpu_ohlXfn9hwhQaYMytKnwPJ4SRUGUNg

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/why-am-i-not-going-to-carry-my-new-glock-26l-carry-gun/18169/

"Glock 26L" a Glock 19 cut down to take Glock 26 magazines.

View Quote

I dont know if you have been called out yet or not. that pic is an FN FNX 45 tactical slide. I have one. NOT a Block
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Any pics of HK's with optics on them?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top