Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2012 9:25:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: I decided to go ahead with it. I had my surgery yesterday afternoon. I just got back from my next day post op exam and I'm already 20/20. The first two hours after the surgery were very painful and discomforting. I was very apprehensive prior to surgery, but now I have no pain or discomfort, I'm seeing clearly and I'm very happy I went ahead with it. I do show some slight brusing in the eyes, but that should disappear within the next few days. Thank you all for you input. I hightly recommend this to anyone who's interested. Final price was $3588.30 including medicated eye drops, this is after 15% insurance discount.

I was considering using my tax refund to get lasik eye surgery. I'm a mild doomsayer and if the SHTF, I'd rather not be stuck with glasses. Plus I hate contacts and really wish I could wear sunglasses. 10 mins of research is looking like it's gunna be about $4000. It's a lot of cash, but an investment in the long run, whether the SHTF or not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds pricey given advancement in tech and all the docs doing it (read: competition)

Guess it depends if you're in a major met area or out in the country like the Finger Lakes where competition isn't that high.

Got it done 12 years ago, and although I was a late adopter (contacts didn't really bug me except when camping or wakeboarding) I was REEEEEALLY happy I did it.

I'm an old man now, and my eyes have recently changed again - only like a quarter power, so still never wear glasses or contacts.

I highly recommend it, but I'd shop around - sure as heck should be able to get it done for under 2.5k
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Best $3990 I ever spent, went from 20/200 to 20/25 vision.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck yeah, best thing I ever did and never looking back.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I could smell my eyes burning and the power tool they used to remove the top layer was....disconcerting to say the least. Now after saying all that I'd do it again in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The old lady got Lasik last week.  Down here in the lowly state of LA it cost her $2500.  She can see better than me now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of your input everybody. I took a leap and scheduled myself a lasik eye exam to get the facts. I'm excited.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been researching it too and pulling the trigger on it this summer but I'm going PRK.  Around here, PRK is about $3,500 and Lasik is $4,000.  I searched bigger cities but the only ones I found that I'd trust would be even more.  I'm going with PRK for the advantages, not the price (plus, having my eyeball sliced with a razor freaks me out big time).  I have enough sick time saved that I can afford a few extra days off for the PRK after effects.

Everyone I know is extremely happy with their Lasik and PRK results but there are some pretty bad horror stories that you can dig up online.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I paid $2500 about 4 years ago, best thing I ever did.

ETA, this is the company I used http://www.lasikplus.com/, Just noticed this.

LasikPlus provides free laser vision correction to Wounded
Warrior Project alumni, who are wounded U.S. military veterans, and
their spouses or caregivers.

At LasikPlus, we’re dedicated to serving those who have
proudly served this country as a Wounded Warrior Project partner. We
provide free laser vision correction to injured U.S. veterans and their
spouses or caregivers regardless of economic conditions. We’re happy to
transform the vision of heroes who have risked their lives for our
country and the people who care for them.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#11]
>20/400 to 20/15. Doooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:08:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I had it done 9 years ago.  Best money I ever spent.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I got Lasik a month ago and without a doubt one of the investments I've ever made. My surgery cost me around 3k.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Did it 10 years ago.
Some of the best money I ever spent. Still have great vision but need reading glasses now but hey, these things happen.
Do it!
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:15:27 AM EDT
[#15]
FYI:    I had LASIK done about 14 years ago when I got into LE.  It was great...till I needed reading glasses for up close work.   Then my stigmatism began to slowly return.  Now I am back with full time glasses.    It was great while it lasted but once you get up into your years... you may need glasses again, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I did it and would not hesitate to do it again. I went from 4.50 on contacts which is legally blind to 20/15 in a week or so. I paid a little over 3k with cash money so it was cheaper. The only thing I do miss is the night vision I had before. I could see very well in the dark before but now, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:53:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Best shit I ever did, honestly, and would whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone eligible.  On the drive home, even through bruised eyes with granny-style HUGE sunglasses, I saw something I hadn't in a decade - unaided by contacts or glasses, I could see that trees had individual leaves and that there were blades of grass.

Yeah, it was weird, but they have come a long way in the 10 years since I had it done.  I actually WATCHED the informational video they kept playing.... so I knew what was coming.  I had the older procedure where they actually sawed open your cornea - with you awake - and flipped it to the side so they could work on you.  The only unnerving part was when I smelled my cornea burning slightly from the saw.

On the plus side, before the operation, the doc's wife - an extremely HAWT 6 ft tall blonde - walks in, shakes her silicone, and says "Would you care for a valium before the procedure?"  

"Yes ma'am, yes I believe that would be wonderful."  
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I wore glasses for fifty years.  My eyes were really starting to go south about five years ago.  The doc said I had cataracts so we decided to have my lenses replaced with the new high-tech types, then I had LASIK to finish what the new lenses could not.  

Best decision I ever made.  I have never regretted it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Best money I've ever spent.

It's awesome having perfect vision and not having to mess with contacts or glasses.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Very encouraging responces guys. Thank you.

Quoted:

Yes Lasikplus.com is the site I scheduled my appointment through in Albany, The surgeon has over 22,000 opporations under her belt. Haven't decided if I should "shop around" or not yet.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Discount Romanian laser eye surgery!  Use old laser from Soviet tank!  Better than 40% chance not end up dead!  Lose first eye, 2nd one free!
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Borat.jpg

Discount Romanian laser eye surgery!  Use old laser from Soviet tank!  Better than 40% chance not end up dead!  Lose first eye, 2nd one free!

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No pun intended, I'm sure.

Got mine done about 8 years ago.  Still great distance vision.  I'm (ahem) over 40, so I need reading glasses.  No big deal - handgun and rifle iron sights are in focus.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Borat.jpg

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Did it 10 years ago.

Some of the best money I ever spent. Still have great vision but need reading glasses now but hey, these things happen.

Do it!

I did it about 12-13 years ago.  The eyes slipped a little and I now need night driving glasses.

Go do it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Didn't a member here kill himself due to complications from LASIK?
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was considering using my tax refund to get lasik eye surgery. I'm a mild doomsayer and if the SHTF, I'd rather not be stuck with glasses. Plus I hate contacts and really wish I could wear sunglasses. 10 mins of research is looking like it's gunna be about $4000. It's a lot of cash, but an investment in the long run, whether the SHTF or not.

I paid $3500 total for lasik from arguably the best doctor in Missouri.

Best money I have EVER spent.

I was a good candidate.  Had really thick corneas.  Enough that touch ups or even a complete redo were possible.  If you are a good candidate, go for it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes Lasikplus.com is the site I scheduled my appointment through in Albany, The surgeon has over 22,000 opporations under her belt. Haven't decided if I should "shop around" or not yet.

Fuck LasikPlus.  They fucked my eyes up real good..

Keep what you have!

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#30]
There seem to be a lot of "go do it" responses here. I would encourage people to study and understand the procedures and the risks beforehand. The statistics are pretty good overall on outcomes, but night vision issues, halos, spots, severe dry eye, etc. seem to happen frequently enough to concern me.

Also, I don't know a single opthamologist who has had it done on him/herself. They all wear regular glasses (not even contacts). There may be a clue there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#31]
My son had it done is is a Officer in the Navy so the tax payer paid for it.

But he went from coke bottle bottom glasses to no glasses and 20/20 vision, worst part was us getting use to it since he was in glasses since he was 4 years old
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There seem to be a lot of "go do it" responses here. I would encourage people to study and understand the procedures and the risks beforehand. The statistics are pretty good overall on outcomes, but night vision issues, halos, spots, severe dry eye, etc. seem to happen frequently enough to concern me.

Also, I don't know a single opthamologist who has had it done on him/herself. They all wear regular glasses (not even contacts). There may be a clue there.

If I were an ophthalmologist I would wear zero-prescription glasses even if I didn't need them. It would build rapport with my patients.

I also wouldn't recommend LASIK to my patients because then they wouldn't be my patients anymore.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My wife got it 16 months ago and loves it.  Next day she had perfect vision, in fact better.  

I got PRK because of my odd shaped cornea.  PRK is the precursor to LASIK.  Costs the same but takes about 3+ months to get the same results as LASIK.  If you work in front of a screen you may need to take a few weeks off before you can go read the screens.  

Price sounds right.  Don't go to a fly by night place.  Save a little might cost you big time.  My concern was star bursting.  Really not a big deal. You get burst effect off glasses as well.  Your eyes will be dry for a few months.  I'm at 4 months and rarely use drops at all.  Sometimes in the mornings.  I'm a cheap skate so to drop $4k was quite a big deal.  I think it's worth it.  

You might plan for it in 2013 by using flex spending.  That's what wife and I did.  Helps you lower your taxes and in the end costs 2/3 - 3/4 of the cost.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I got it in 2005 and am very glad I did it.  Just keep in mind that your eyes do not start 'aging' after getting the LASIK so you probably will eventually need correction again.  (especially if you are currently in the 20-40 age range)
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I used TLC vision.  Largest LASIK op in the US.  Tiger used them, the have the latest instruments.  Not to say others aren't good but I know lot of folks that used them and my exp has been favorable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm looking more into PRK. The dry eye thing about LASIK scares me a little.

If I do corrective surgery to fix my astigmatism, will the dot in my red dot actually be round, instead of a sparkle?  This is the question I always wanted the answer to, lol.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I did it about 5 years ago.

there are 2 types of eye surgury and each have advantages and disadvantages.

one type scrapes the outer layer of the eye off to reshape the lens.
this prevents the flap issues the other one may or may not have for people more active, and does not disqualify military from flying as I understand it.

draw backs are it is more painful than the flap one, as the outside of your eye got scraped up.
Healing time is a little longer, as they have to slow it down to prevent scaring.

possible issues, if the healing occurs too fast, you get scarring over the eyes. the only fix is cornea transplant.

The same week  I got mine, 2 other people in my office had this type done. I did the flap kind.
one complained it felt like sand in his eye's for a month. could not live without the numbing drops.
the woman said meh, not a big deal and went on with life. said was best thing ever.

Flap cut type.
they cut open your eye can cut on the inside to reshape the lens.
less discomfort, able to drive the next day.

draw backs.
sharp blow, rubbing your eyes for the next 2 years could dislog the flap, putting a wrinkle in your lens and make you basically blind till they can fix it.
crap could get lodged under the flap.

as you get older and your cornea's thin due to age, you could eventually get a hole in it due to the cutting they did, and again go blind. cornea transplant only fix.

I only felt like sand in my eyes that afternoon after the surgery. next day I drove back for the check up.
only had to do drops for like a week and was done.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I do corrective surgery to fix my astigmatism, will the dot in my red dot actually be round, instead of a sparkle?  This is the question I always wanted the answer to, lol.

Your eyes will still be dry with PRK, it uses the same laser cutting equipment.  LASIK cut flap of cornea and laser.  PRK rub off soft tissue of cornea and laser.

My astigmatism was real bad but still used a Aimpoint t1.  Much better now but it's still not a perfect red circle, for me.  YMMV

Edit: now you can be like the cool kids and drop $200 for some styling sun glasses and yes I did.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#39]
They can 'fix' the dry eye thing if you even have the problem at all.  I had the issue only in my right eye (but not my left) and they put something into my tear duct and the issue went away.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Best thing I ever did! I wore glasses for 28 years. Went from 20/400 to 20/25. Not perfect but better than wearing glasses. I did an 18 month no interest loan.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck LasikPlus.  They fucked my eyes up real good..

Keep what you have!

I had mine done by the guy who pioneered the procedure
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your eyes will still be dry with PRK, it uses the same laser cutting equipment.  LASIK cut flap of cornea and laser.  PRK rub off soft tissue of cornea and laser.

My astigmatism was real bad but still used a Aimpoint t1.  Much better now but it's still not a perfect red circle, for me.  YMMV

Edit: now you can be like the cool kids and drop $200 for some styling sun glasses and yes I did.

From what I've gathered, and it's not much, it's the cutting of the flap with LASIK that causes the dry eye issue. But my gethering is limited, and I'm a few years from either surgery, just curious. I do appreciate the response.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Went from 20/200 to...20/13. I haven't regretted it a second. Best thing i've done in my entire life.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sounds pricey given advancement in tech and all the docs doing it (read: competition)

Guess it depends if you're in a major met area or out in the country like the Finger Lakes where competition isn't that high.

Got it done 12 years ago, and although I was a late adopter (contacts didn't really bug me except when camping or wakeboarding) I was REEEEEALLY happy I did it.

I'm an old man now, and my eyes have recently changed again - only like a quarter power, so still never wear glasses or contacts.

I highly recommend it, but I'd shop around - sure as heck should be able to get it done for under 2.5k

I spent 4200 five years ago for mine.  I did LASEK not LASIK with wave front, but they were the same price.  I would recommend PRK or LASEK over LASIK.   The recovery time is worse, but there is no possibility of complications from the flap, as there isn't one.  That is the primary cause of complications.  Dry eye is less likely as well.  A former ARFCOM'er committed suicide due to a severe case of dry eye.  

I am very happy with my results.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That isn't necessarily a good thing.  If you are a bad candidate for surgery, you want your doctor to not hesitate to refuse you.  If he has a multimillion dollar machine that he has to make payments on, it could cloud their judgement.  

Research what the best equipment is out there and find an ophthalmologist that uses it and does other things, like cataracts and what not.  (ie, you want them to have a diverse business and not dependent on laser correction surgery)
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

+1 Just beyond the year mark and am 20/15.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife got it 16 months ago and loves it.  Next day she had perfect vision, in fact better.  

I got PRK because of my odd shaped cornea.  PRK is the precursor to LASIK.  Costs the same but takes about 3+ months to get the same results as LASIK.  If you work in front of a screen you may need to take a few weeks off before you can go read the screens.  

Price sounds right.  Don't go to a fly by night place.  Save a little might cost you big time.  My concern was star bursting.  Really not a big deal. You get burst effect off glasses as well.  Your eyes will be dry for a few months.  I'm at 4 months and rarely use drops at all.  Sometimes in the mornings.  I'm a cheap skate so to drop $4k was quite a big deal.  I think it's worth it.  

You might plan for it in 2013 by using flex spending.  That's what wife and I did.  Helps you lower your taxes and in the end costs 2/3 - 3/4 of the cost.

You should be good for driving in less than a week.  (20/40)  Get your DL updated ASAP, if you are required to wear glasses and get caught without them, the penalties can be harsh.  I was told mandatory suspensions were involved here in Illinois. It was 6 days for me before I could get back to a computer screen.  Less than that for watching TV.

+1 on the flex spending
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I've had multiple eye doctors over the years. Almost all of them wore glasses when they've had every opportunity to get fixed. Everytime I ask "why didn't you" the answer was always: "You only get one pair of eyes."

I've been wearing glasses since I was 7 and I've never had them get in the way of what I wanted to do. Right now I have a matching set of classic Rayban frames, one set is my sunglasses
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I read, dry eye is caused by damage to the nerve endings that detect and thus control moisture in your eye.  The cutting for the flap tends to cause more damage to these than removal of the bowman layer.  (the bowman layer is what is buffed off for PRK or detached and slid to the side then slid back in place for LASEK)  I had some minor dry eye with LASEK, but the risk is lower with PRK / LASEK.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#50]
. : . . :: .. :. : .. . :: .:
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top