Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/5/2018 2:00:07 PM EDT
I'm putting together a car kit for each of my vehicles, and happened to see a tweet go by this morning that mentioned Narcan was available OTC. I was of the understanding that it was hundreds of dollars, but a little research showed that while the nasal spray is ~$150, naloxone can be had in syringe form for $20.99.

I don't think it's likely that I'd need it, but at the same time I recognize that it's possible that a kid could come in contact with fentanyl or carfentanil these days, and my understanding is that a lethal dose of those can be absorbed through the skin fairly easily. For $20, it seems like a reasonable precaution.

I have more research on it to do before I'll feel confident in my understanding, but from what I'm reading now it could at least give you time to get someone to the hospital.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm putting together a car kit for each of my vehicles, and happened to see a tweet go by this morning that mentioned Narcan was available OTC. I was of the understanding that it was hundreds of dollars, but a little research showed that while the nasal spray is ~$150, naloxone can be had in syringe form for $20.99.

I don't think it's likely that I'd need it, but at the same time I recognize that it's possible that a kid could come in contact with fentanyl or carfentanil these days, and my understanding is that a lethal dose of those can be absorbed through the skin fairly easily. For $20, it seems like a reasonable precaution.

I have more research on it to do before I'll feel confident in my understanding, but from what I'm reading now it could at least give you time to get someone to the hospital.
View Quote
Whose kid?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Nah, I'm not too worried about saving pillheads, needle brains, etc. and I'm not medically trained to administer anything to someone who might be a legitimate  accidental overdose.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No way I am injecting anyone with anything

Edit* if unconscious *
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say it's a good choice to have. Even in the event of cross-contamination.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t save drug addicts. And if your kid comes into contact it your not being a stand up parent.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
so your planning to stick some random kid with a syringe and drive off with them?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are getting it to use on yourself or a loved one in case of accidental contact then good on you. Dont get it to use on some rando.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Storing it in a nice hot car(gets to 100+ degrees 3-4 months out of the year here) sounds like a great way to significantly reduce it's storage life.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine is in my desk where it stays unless I am flying evidence that might be fentanyl, then I carry it.  Problem is it's very temperature sensitive (86 degrees for the top end of the excursion allowance) and since I live in Phoenix it would go bad in a day in my car.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
No and I don't carry meds for other random people who are unresponsive of unknown origin.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Storing it in a nice hot car(gets to 100+ degrees 3-4 months out of the year here) sounds like a great way to significantly reduce it's storage life.
View Quote
The link OP supplied states it's $30. I don't think that's too bad to swap out twice a year or so.

Naloxone Info
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Whose kid?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whose kid?
I mean, I'm mostly worried about my kids - but if it's actually a kid we're talking about, does it matter?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I keep a 9mm for this purpose.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nah, I'm not too worried about saving pillheads, needle brains, etc. and I'm not medically trained to administer anything to someone who might be a legitimate  accidental overdose.
View Quote
I wouldn't touch an addict that looks like they've ODed - too much chance for cross-contamination, as others have mentioned.

As for liability, Arkansas has a good samaritan law.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m a doctor, and I wouldn’t put it in my kit. You will for sure 100% get sued by the junkie or obese boomer. If you haven’t seen how someone reacts to it, imagine all sensation of pain inhibited, and then almost instantly that being removed, including the natural endorphins. Immediate 10/10 pain. At least in the few I’ve seen. They will sue you for saving their life. I’d be very cautious in the care I give from my car kit. Many things are best done in an ambulance or hospital.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you are getting it to use on yourself or a loved one in case of accidental contact then good on you. Dont get it to use on some rando.
View Quote
I carry a pistol every day to protect myself and my loved ones - nevertheless, I consider that I might one day use it to protect a rando.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Whose kid?
View Quote
Any kid that has a parent that wears patches.  Or any kid that sees a patch on the ground and picks it up.

Not saying it's terribly likely.

Also, anyone who wears patches and forgot to take them off.  My mother wound up with three fentanyl patches on her at once that way... was kind of bad.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I mean, I'm mostly worried about my kids - but if it's actually a kid we're talking about, does it matter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whose kid?
I don't want to cross any lines - but how are your kids going to OD on narcotics?  If you think that is even a remote possibility - you should spend all of your creative thinking focusing on that actual problem - not some imagined dramatic solution where you happen to magically arrive in the nick of time to save the day with a hypo.

Someone else's kid?  Have you even had that happen?  I haven't.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope.
I’m not licensed to treat anyone. Technically I’m still licensed, but it’s inactive.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Cops in my area have OD'ed responding to drug houses just due to powder being disturbed from surfaces into the air.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I carry a pistol every day to protect myself and my loved ones - nevertheless, I consider that I might one day use it to protect a rando.
View Quote
How do you decide who to give the Narcan too?

You already said that you won't give it to an obvious OD.

I have never treated a kid who accidentally came into contact with these drugs and needed Narcan.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't save drug addicts. And if your kid comes into contact it your not being a stand up parent.
View Quote

I don't even have kids, yet I see the utter fucking stupidity of this statement.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I think OP has an excellent idea protecting his family from the dangers we are surrounded by more and more.

I know on the metro near me they are handing out needles. We sometimes have to travel into questionable areas, getting grabbed by some idiot wanting a smoke or money and they are cross contaminating, the Narcan sounds smart.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#25]
It's  free here.  Our state college in town has a program that will give you the nasal version, 2 doses,  8 milligrams total with 2 sets.  All you have to do is say you have a friend who does heroin and you are worried for their safety.  You don't even have to be a student.

I'm FD and EMT.  They give out a lot.

Edit to 8 milligrams.  Autocorrect got me on my phone
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#26]
How are you going to know they need a Narcan shot?
Then you have climate control to deal with.
For $30 if you want it, go for it but not sure I'd rush in and stick someones kid with a syringe and not be a first responder.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I am not a medic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't want to cross any lines - but how are your kids going to OD on narcotics?  If you think that is even a remote possibility - you should spend all of your creative thinking focusing on that actual problem - not some imagined dramatic solution where you happen to magically arrive in the nick of time to save the day with a hypo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whose kid?

Thinking hard, the only way my kids could ever have an issue like this is if they broke into a locked medicine cabinet and ate a whole bottle of hydrocodone or something.

That said, incidental contact has happened.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have never treated a kid who accidentally came into contact with these drugs and needed Narcan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said, I still have more research to do, but my understand at the moment is that there are no serious side effects if the person doesn't have an opiate in their system.

Just like with deadly force, deciding when to use it would be pretty simple when you get down to it - you use it when you have no other choice and reasonably believe that failing to do so would result in death or serious injury.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#30]
A lot of times one shot won't do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I know a guy - Gunny in the Corps (0311/31), who spent some time dealing with poppy growing hadjis. Lost some dudes overseas, to the heroin trade.
He a firefighter/emt now & says he think about the Marines he lost - every time he administers Narcan.
Saving, the people who funded his brothers deaths.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Honestly I think you'd be better off making sure you have benadryl in your kit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't carry stuff for other people.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
If I felt the need to add Narcan to my first aid kit, I'd move.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#35]
EMS here... dont bother with stuff you dont know how to use imo. Narcam cannot hurt anyone. There are no contra-negatives or anything like that, but really, dont mess with shit out of your league. A lot more goes into it than just mixing, spraying, shaking hands and walking away. I know thats not what you're saying OP, but the point is... well you either get the point or you dont.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't support Police carrying Narcan.

I don't hang out with junkies.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#37]
As a medical professional: lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
How would you know that?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As I said, I still have more research to do, but my understand at the moment is that there are no serious side effects if the person doesn't have an opiate in their system.

Just like with deadly force, deciding when to use it would be pretty simple when you get down to it - you use it when you have no other choice and reasonably believe that failing to do so would result in death or serious injury.
View Quote
Do you know CPR? Do you know how to control an airway? Are you just going to administer it and wait?  At what point do you call EMS?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck an addict, let em sleep.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
EMS here... dont bother with stuff you dont know how to use imo. Narcam cannot hurt anyone. There are no contra-negatives or anything like that, but really, dont mess with shit out of your league. A lot more goes into it than just mixing, spraying, shaking hands and walking away. I know thats not what you're saying OP, but the point is... well you either get the point or you dont.
View Quote
I don't disagree.

I'm no EMT. I'm working on getting some first responder training in the near future, but I have no interest in doing it on a regular basis. That said, I grew up on a farm and have given countless intramuscular injections.

As for "out of my league" - like I said before, I haven't done all of my research yet. When I get interested in something I tend to spend a lot of time learning everything there is to know about the subject. I'm certainly not talking about throwing a syringe in the car and hoping for the best.

I was mostly curious if anyone else carried it, and for practical considerations like the fact that it's fairly heat-sensitive. I hadn't considered that before posting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#43]
OP will get sued.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Fuck no
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
it's a nasal spray
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit* if unconscious *
it's a nasal spray
Just went through training on it at work.  Still not doing it.

At the old place I work a kid dumped four narcan spray injectors on my desk one day and told me if he started acting weird and passed out it was time to use these.  Needless to say he didn't work there much longer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
it's a nasal spray
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit* if unconscious *
it's a nasal spray
Not what the OP is talking about. Says syringe and says for injection
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just went through training on it at work.  Still not doing it.

At the old place I work a kid dumped four narcan spray injectors on my desk one day and told me if he started acting weird and passed out it was time to use these.  Needless to say he didn't work there much longer.
View Quote
He brought you his OD shit to work

For fucks sake
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How would you know that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you know that?
Off the top of my head - absent physical evidence of the source, I'd say if someone out of the blue passes out, has pinpoint pupils, and seems to have trouble breathing.

Again, I'm not positioning myself as an expert here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I’m a paramedic.  My answer is fuck no.  Ever seen a person after you give narcan?  It’s not pretty.  They often become combative and vomit.  That’s not a can of worms I want to open without my truck full of tools.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top