Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's nothing special.

Unless you're a big fan of tripe and other parts.
View Quote
I get it for the beef tendon.  That shit is food of the gods.  

The pho place around here has what they call "deluxe pho" that has eye-round steak, flank steak, brisket, soft tendon, tripe, and beef meatballs.  No shortage of protein in that bowl.
what they call Hue' style soup which is pho with wheat noodles instead of rice noodles and it's very spice.  It's a choice between awesome and awesome.  

And then they also have an amazing grilled pork bahn mi...dang it now I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I eat Pho all the time. We used to go to a local Vietnamese resteraunt for it but they began cutting corners and screwing stuff up.

So we started making it ourselves. It's not hard to do but it's a several hour process. If you want to cut just about all the carbs use 'miracle noodle' instead of rice noodle. When you make it yourself you can add just about as much protein as you want.... Chicken, or Steak, or shrimp, or all the above.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]
There is an Vietnamese Restaurant close to my home.
I was really looking forward to the beef pho.
I was bummed, the broth was very bland, didn't taste anything like beef.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm actually pretty well verse in various cuisines but ironically had never had Pho.

Went to a fairly high rated pho place today with my girl to try it out and I left there with mixed thoughts.

The good:
Liked the broth and the herb mixures.

The bad:
Way too many carbs, not enough protein.

Pho seems to have this "healthy" stigma attached to it but it reality as someone who eats pretty healthy I was left feeling like shit/bloated like a pasta meal.

Here I am its getting close to dinner time now an I have a steak/shrimp/salad dinner to prepare and I still feel like I ate too much even though I didnt even finish the entire bowl of Pho.

Think I'm going to stick to Sushi for my asian type food fix.
View Quote

The broth is the best part.  No need to eat all the noodles. Carb problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if you have Vietnamese restaurants around your area that lets you eat family style. But if you do, here's my top list:

Bo luc lac
Canh chua ca
Ga xa xao ot
Suon rim man
Muc rang moi

That would be my dinner on a normal evening when I have time to eat with friends for family.

Google the different dishes and you will be wanting to run to the store to attempt it yourself.

Also my wife learned to cook pho in her instantpot. Cut the cook time from half a day to 2 hours. We buy our beef bones from the local Asian market, and the meat left on the bone is some of the best you will ever have.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
We used to go to Broadway and Argyle(map), a small area packed full of VN restaurants and grocers, sort of a Vietnamese China town, if you will, and full of pho choices.

Now we have a Pho place in my town, right next to the sushi on boats place!

A hipster pho joint opened by my GF at Milwaukee and Fullerton in Chicago.  Furious Spoon.  Although it is toxically hip, the food is very good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck yes.  Could eat it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a like a 5 page (with picture) pho thread from long ago here. Some member made it and did it right.
You need to seek it out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Love it.  Had it yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I love it
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't like rice noodles so order my pho sans noodles but with a side of rice, which I add to the broth as mood suits me.  

I try to pick places that make a good broth and enjoy it as made, rather than adding to it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm actually pretty well verse in various cuisines but ironically had never had Pho.

Went to a fairly high rated pho place today with my girl to try it out and I left there with mixed thoughts.

The good:
Liked the broth and the herb mixures.

The bad:
Way too many carbs, not enough protein.

Pho seems to have this "healthy" stigma attached to it but it reality as someone who eats pretty healthy I was left feeling like shit/bloated like a pasta meal.

Here I am its getting close to dinner time now an I have a steak/shrimp/salad dinner to prepare and I still feel like I ate too much even though I didnt even finish the entire bowl of Pho.

View Quote
Nailed it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Love pho.  Must have tripe and tendon to be authentic besides the meat balls, flank steak, brisket, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife is Vietnamese.  We eat it all the time, and she makes the best pho on the freaking planet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife loves it and I can't stand it.  Here is the kicker, I'm part Asian and she isn't.    
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Love pho my wife makes it all the time for me
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Got done reading the first page and not one mention of nu?c m?m. Have to add the fish sauce it adds another layer of flavor.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't like carbs but like sushi?  

Did you know sugar is mixed into sushi rice?  You're getting as many high glycemic carbs as half a loaf of white bread as you do in a sushi roll.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
What the pho?

I like pho, but tonkatsu ramen with pork belly > pho.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You don't like carbs but like sushi?  

Did you know sugar is mixed into sushi rice?  You're getting as many high glycemic carbs as half a loaf of white bread as you do in a sushi roll.
View Quote
I understand that. I do eat a good amount of sashimi fwiw.

Point is I felt similar eating pho as I do eating pasta.

I dont get that feeling from sushi though I understand how sushi is made and how many carbs it has.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#22]
One of my favorite foods. I have the opposite problem as OP though. Serving sizes are too small, I always have to get extra beef and extra noodle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Other food is just empty sustenance I must ingest to survive until my next bowl of Pho
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Have chronic kidney disease.  Pho has way too much sodium with the added fish sauce.  Low sodium diet now.  Used to love it, now cannot stand it as I can literally taste the sodium in the broth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I love it.  My local places did not skimp on the meat.  I ordered it without the noddles often while I was on Adkins - meat, broth, bean sprouts, basil, and a bit of soak for the jalapenos.

Don't have a favorite place anymore.  Had a very local place (about 200 yards away) that I ate at 4 days a week for a long time.  Waitress (who happened to be the owner) knew me well enough she kept up with who I was dating and occasionally prodded (for business probably - you have not brought x girl in for long time).  She opened another restaurant with a more upscale Asian fusion menu, but then closed both - it was a sad time.  The best in Austin was taken over by their hipster kids - who tried to make the menu more healthy.  That killed the flavor, greatly diminished the serving size, and only increased the prices by 25%.  Then the neighbor of a coworker opened a place (Asian Fusion again), and it became my go to spot.  Did not take long to find out that he was the bus boy for his older sister (when he was 12), of my former local spot.  Seems like his big sister then owned 4 other places.  I never figured out where the other 4 were, and he is out of business now.

Really need to see where her places are now - but she is probabably at that age to go from being the hot Vietnamese girl (of impossible to discern age) to the old Vietnamese grandmother as I am remembering her place form almost 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Drink a fifth of vodka, 8 IPA's and a shot of Patron. You'll feel like shit until you have a bowl of magic soup (pho). Best shit on the planet for a hangover that doesn't require an IV.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I love Pho.  Not too filling and reasonably healthy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Pho 21 in Houston is the best !!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pho 21 in Houston is the best !!!!
View Quote
Pho danh is my go to place in Houston for pho. Quick and clean....
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is a like a 5 page (with picture) pho thread from long ago here. Some member made it and did it right.
You need to seek it out.
View Quote
I looked for it, but couldn't find it. I went through the whole process from boiling the bones to grinding the spices. No big thing, but I wanted to link to it to answer a question and couldn't find it. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have chronic kidney disease.  Pho has way too much sodium with the added fish sauce.  Low sodium diet now.  Used to love it, now cannot stand it as I can literally taste the sodium in the broth.
View Quote
You can make your own and skip the fish sauce. Negligible sodium in everything else. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Pho is amazing. 

Homemade pho is amazinger. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I love Pho, and there are tons of variations.

IMO a good Pho does not have too much noodles or beef, but just the right amount so you have something to chew while slurping up the broth.

The beef should be dipped in hot sauce and then dipped back into the broth and eaten, then a mouthful of noodle slurped up.

If you broth left over, dip your ban minh into it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Pho time!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Next time try the "Bun"  

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:53:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I've enjoyed every Vietnamese dish I've tried so far, with the exception of a piece of soft, fatty pork skin. Won't be eating that again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:53:12 AM EDT
[#37]
OP gotta be...........

with us......Rrrright?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top