Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#1]
My girlfriend and a few of her friends are making them for the sick kids at the children's hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock.

They look like this:

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have several of these rubber dust masks purchased years ago that use "pancake" filters:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/413AXKH7DFL._SX425_.jpg

Unfortunately I never got any N95 pancake filters for them. Just the particulate variety. I am going to try to fashion something to augment the P95 filter. Two or three layers of cotton fabric inside would match what they are describing to make face masks out of.

I also have a lot of brand new Israeli M4 masks that were surplused after Gulf War 1. Unfortunately the filters, while still sealed, expired long ago. They would still "filter" particles but I am not keen on walking around with a full gask mask though it does keep you from touching your face with your fingers.

UPDATE: Color me shocked. I got the dust masks out of storage and it turns out they were equipped with N95 filters not P95 filters. Unfortunately, I have no replacements for them once they are used up.
View Quote

Only difference between the N95 and P95 is the P series is acceptable for use in heavy oil mist  contaminated atmospheres. There is also an ‘R95’ good for use in lightly oil mist atmosphere.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a pattern available for a mask that a hospital in the NE has requested - comes in S, M, L. Design has a wire in the nose bridge to form it (I gave my wife some thin gauge aluminum electric fence wire), and a pocket to allow inserting additional filtration material. The  wife set her assembly line up yesterday in the dining room and has been making them.  If anyone wants the pattern, let me know and I can post a link.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I ain't got time for that.

I got a shit load of these for 2 bucks each years back. not this brand. Keeps stuff out of your hair too.

https://www.armysurplusworld.com/condor-tactical-multi-full-face-wrap-mask-bandanna-balaclava
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I have N95s for serious engagement, but for walking around at a safe distance anyway ...

I'm just repurposing some old festival wear.  For example:

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You guys who are using HEPA bags and other filter type material.....just be cautious and do your research. Make sure the material you are using doesn't contain any fiberglass. Some of the HEPA vacuum bags reportedly contain it. Only use the kind that have a poly material blend. You don't wanna be inhaling fiberglass into your lungs, as that could fuck you up just as bad as COVID-19.
View Quote

Yup. Same with old gas mask filters...older ones contain some nasty shit that degraded and breaks down over time, allowing you to breath it in.  You’ll have a worse day with that than if you catch the COVID.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's a pattern available for a mask that a hospital in the NE has requested - comes in S, M, L. Design has a wire in the nose bridge to form it (I gave my wife some thin gauge aluminum electric fence wire), and a pocket to allow inserting additional filtration material. The  wife set her assembly line up yesterday in the dining room and has been making them.  If anyone wants the pattern, let me know and I can post a link.
View Quote

Please post it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Did a household inventory this morning, and discovered we have almost a full case of puppy piddle pads.

They're pretty restrictive, but do allow respiration.

I may have missed it...any at-home tests to check filtration effectiveness?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
No mask is going to protect you fully,  they protect others from you. Respirators are the only thing that's going to protect you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Pretty much this.

I had an old t-shirt that had holes by the collar that I made two bandannas out of. Took about 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Did a household inventory this morning, and discovered we have almost a full case of puppy piddle pads.

They're pretty restrictive, but do allow respiration.

I may have missed it...any at-home tests to check filtration effectiveness?

Disregard on PPP, completely restrictive unless you peel the thin plastic layer off. Search continues.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My daughter's sewing them for her local hospital an EMTs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Filtrete furnace filters are made by 3M.  I was thinking last night that is probably the same material N95 masks are made from and those still seem to be still well stocked.

If so  you could take the material out of one of those and fold it a couple of times for the right thickness and stitch it together.  You could then staple a couple of rubber bands on the sides to hold  it to your face.

You could probably get several out of one filter.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty much everything out there says cotton and foam masks are entirely ineffective against viruses. Surgical and N95 masks are between 80-95% effective. Sewing your own mask makes for a great placebo effect.
View Quote

Maybe already addressed, but yes and no.
A N95 is pretty effective, IF it is sized and properly fitted. I'm willing to be that almost all of them out there aren't fitted to the people wearing them, and the ways I've seen them worn it wouldn't matter anyway.
Surgical masks pretty well fall into the next category as well.
The reason for people to wear a mask in public is to protect everyone else. A cough or sneeze can carry droplets for quite a distance if the conditions are right. Much more than 6 feet, but you have to reach a realistic goal for folks to follow. The mask will also prevent you from touching your face, sucking your thumb, and picking your nose. Hopefully long enough to wash your hands.
The preventive measure would be pretty good, but they are no substitute for the other precautions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife is a fashion designer - she’s come up with her own pattern
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@AeroEngineer

A lady at my wife's church sews and has been making masks. We found out yesterday she had to stop because she ran out of elastic and can't find any. I raided my boxes of model rocketry supplies and found some shock cord elastic that we're giving to her.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife has sewn 20 or so in the past 2 days.  She's nailing them out to friends and family who are healthcare workers.

I can ask her about patterns and other criteria. I just supplied my stash of very small diameter shock cord to use as elastic.

@AeroEngineer

A lady at my wife's church sews and has been making masks. We found out yesterday she had to stop because she ran out of elastic and can't find any. I raided my boxes of model rocketry supplies and found some shock cord elastic that we're giving to her.

Tip: Bungee cords contain multiple strands of elastic that work for masks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#18]
No need to since I have boxes and boxes of n95 masks I couldn't sell on eBay
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I attempted to but butchered my first mask. I don’t have as sewing machine which would make a huge difference. I ended up buying a 10 pack of masks from Nine Line apparel instead. The wife and I are too busy with work and home school to mess with the stuff.

ETA: i do have a small stash of N95s. Just trying to prolong them.
View Quote

Thanks for that, I just ordered some. I've been trying to find something for my brother, he has COPD.
These aren't medical grade, but better than nothing and easier than trying to make your own.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife who is a nurse just told me that she ordered 6 masks from a nurse co-worker. She said they are the best she has seen and very innovative.

Have " wire " sown into them for a tight fit and a pocket sown into them to add an additional filter . Made out of cotton.  Wife said they are very slick and comfortable. They are easily washable and decontaminated.

I have not seen one yet but my wife and son have and they both give them a big thumbs up.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I was on the radio bullshit'n with some friends last night and this subject come up. I'm going to try making some diy masks for my dad and his wife this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife is pretty handy with a sewing machine and has been making different kinds out of felt, mesh fabric and other types. She gets the patterns and templates online and is trying out different versions.  All seem pretty good so far.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I did this.
And I integrated a single wire strand from a piece of romex to contour my nose.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/how-to-make-a-diy-no-sew-face-mask-with-fabric-and-hair-elastics/
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife has made some, one without a mask pocket, the rest with. She got the pattern off of Instructables.com and modified it to include the pocket.

She uses fleece on the inside and tightly woven cotton on the outside.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Please post it.

View Quote
This is the design she's using: Mask Design Download .

Video of someone making it (it appears they updated the design yesterday for the straps, but you'll get the idea):
Tutorial: How to Sew a Face Mask for Hospitals | Coronavirus COV19

I'm going to start printing a design on my 3D printer this weekend and will most likely incorporate HEPA filter vacuum bags as filtration or something.  That being said, I may also use the cloth ones my wife is making assuming there is one where the fabric isn't all flowery or something.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yup. Same with old gas mask filters...older ones contain some nasty shit that degraded and breaks down over time, allowing you to breath it in.  You'll have a worse day with that than if you catch the COVID.
View Quote
There are old Russian ones that have asbestos in them. Have not heard of any issues with NATO or Israeli issued filters.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pretty much everything out there says cotton and foam masks are entirely ineffective against viruses. Surgical and N95 masks are between 80-95% effective. Sewing your own mask makes for a great placebo effect.
View Quote

And there is plenty of information suggesting that cotton is 70% effective...

Reducing the viral load can only help...

When the time comes that you have to be wearing a mask to enter a store, having a homemeade one will be better than nothing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
People are going on Youtube to watch videos of mask making.
However, a lot of fabric places are closed right now.

I think we will start seeing a lot of home made stuff in the wild within a week.
View Quote

Mrs subvet is a quilter and has more material laying around than Joanne Fabrics does. She’s made a couple dozen masks so far. Most places are out of elastic so she’s used hair ties and the latest ones she’s making material tiesAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Saw this yesterday:
https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There are old Russian ones that have asbestos in them. Have not heard of any issues with NATO or Israeli issued filters.
View Quote

I have some Yugo Made US clone masks with brand new filters that I’d never take a breath through for just that reason!  Haha.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Filtrete furnace filters are made by 3M.  I was thinking last night that is probably the same material N95 masks are made from and those still seem to be still well stocked.

If so  you could take the material out of one of those and fold it a couple of times for the right thickness and stitch it together.  You could then staple a couple of rubber bands on the sides to hold  it to your face.

You could probably get several out of one filter.
View Quote

don't fold it, from what I've read HVAC filter material is designed for air to flow thru in one direction.  Instead, put two layers that flow in the same direction.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#32]
GF is working on some right now. She has a lot of material in the house and sews quite a bit. Going to forward the plans/patterns to my grandkids. Granddaughter asked for a real sewing machine two Christmases ago and recently my grandson started learning how to use it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

I had an old t-shirt that had holes by the collar that I made two bandannas out of. Took about 2 minutes.
View Quote

Short sleeve t Shirt sleeves make good masks

Take some older T shirts

Cut the sleeves off at the seam at the shoulder, pull sleeve over head with the shoulder seam first. The elastic will keep it snug to your face.

You can re enforce it by taping a couple plies of standard paper towel or some more layers of cloth.

Works good. That is a go to of mine when I have to work in dusty areas.

You might want to wear glasses too if you are trying to avoid airborne  particulate.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#34]
How To Turn A Bandana Into A Face Mask For Coronavirus
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Nope.  If I feel it necessary, I'll break in to .my stash of n95s.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Who doesn't have a supply of masks already?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nope.  If I feel it necessary, I'll break in to .my stash of n95s.
View Quote

Ive got n95s, and more better stuff.

I don't like tying shit to my head and leaving the rest of my head exposed.. You are as apt to get it in your hair as anywhere else. full head and face coverage is what I would wear.

I don't even care tho. I got zinc.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Who doesn't have a supply of masks already?
View Quote

One cannot be prepared for every eventuality. I would assume most people prep based on what is likely to be the more common issues they may face. For most, that would be some sort of natural disaster (i.e. Hurricane Katrina). For others in certain urban areas, it might be civil unrest (i.e. Ferguson). Global pandemics are probably not at the top of most people's preparation lists. By the time it became apparent that masks were going to be needed here, the supply was already critically low because the Chinese have been buying up American stocks since December and continuing through January. By the time it hit our shores, it was already too late to stock up. Very few people have the means to have everything they might need for any situation on hand at any given time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#39]
My mother in law has made two hundred and donated them all.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#40]
https://www.itsalwaysautumn.com/how-to-make-a-face-mask.html

Mom raised two boys by herself and taught us some basic repair sewing.  This looks easy enough.  I'll give this a whirl and will report back later.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I don’t have any of the 3m n95s, but I do have a couple of 3m and Honeywell/North half face respirators. Most of my cartridge filters are VOC with P100.  I don’t plan on going out into the world too often, so I can likely use one set of filters each time I go to the store etc...then not have to use that set again for well over month. I’m not going to be around anything dusty, so they should last for a damn long time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Picked this up in Cambodia

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Using retired t-shirt. specifically the hard armpit area that's collected too much sweat and anti-perspirant over the years. Ain't nothin getting thru that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don’t have any of the 3m n95s, but I do have a couple of 3m and Honeywell/North half face respirators. Most of my cartridge filters are VOC with P100.  I don’t plan on going out into the world too often, so I can likely use one set of filters each time I go to the store etc...then not have to use that set again for well over month. I’m not going to be around anything dusty, so they should last for a damn long time.
View Quote

Before you remove the respirator put duct tape over the filter. Effectively sealing all contaminants in the filter. Remove respirator and sanitize with alchohol.

Next time you use the respirator, put it on before you remove the tape from the filters.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

maybe it's enough
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#46]
We made a few dozen masks today. Two layers of 100% cotton material with a hole to insert two layers of removable filterete 1900 series material.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

One cannot be prepared for every eventuality. I would assume most people prep based on what is likely to be the more common issues they may face. For most, that would be some sort of natural disaster (i.e. Hurricane Katrina). For others in certain urban areas, it might be civil unrest (i.e. Ferguson). Global pandemics are probably not at the top of most people's preparation lists. By the time it became apparent that masks were going to be needed here, the supply was already critically low because the Chinese have been buying up American stocks since December and continuing through January. By the time it hit our shores, it was already too late to stock up. Very few people have the means to have everything they might need for any situation on hand at any given time.
View Quote
Exactly! There are too many variables to be prepared for every scenario. As it is, I realized I am prepared enough have two spare AO masks with brand new replaceable N95 filters and some spare P95 filters. Unfortunately, I only have the two filters and three P95 remaining. But I could not have foreseen to stock up on a 100 or more. I also have surplus Israeli M4 masks noted in an earlier posts. The filters have expired but as I understand it that applies to the chemical protection properties. The filtering capability is still good. I am reluctant to drag them out unless it really gets bad.

Heck, I would have asked my doctor for a hydroxychloroquine prescription a year ago if I had known. Maybe I should stockpile atropine in case someone decides to release a nerve agent in all this. Cipro if we have another anthrax release?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone have any downloadable patterns?
View Quote

This is the one my wife has been using:

https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapids/sewing-surgical-masks.aspx

I have been helping by cutting out material.  She is using pipe cleaners for the nose bridge and strips of HEPA filters cut from new vacuum bags.  The masks can be washed and the pipe cleaners and HEPA strips can be replaced.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#50]
its scary how many people even in this thread don't get the point and the purpose of the masks.

IT IS NOT TO FILTER THE AIR TO KEEP YOU SAFE.

the mask is to stop liquid bits from leaving your mouth/nose and infecting others. resperators and n95 dust masks that have a exhaust flapper valve do not do that.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top