BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So does physics. Calories in, calories out. Macros have a small effect on the calories out portion, it's minimal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

>you can be 100% healthy if you eat 2000 Caroline’s of pop tarts and beef jerky sticks

You’re an idiot. Hormones exist. Nutrients and minerals exist.

So does physics. Calories in, calories out. Macros have a small effect on the calories out portion, it's minimal

What is stored in adipose tissue? Is it a pure energy in the form of calories? Or is it fat?

If it’s fat stored in fat cells,please propose a biochemical pathway or mechanism for how “calories” can become stored in adipose tissue. If it’s calories that is stored in fat cells, please propose how energy is transmuted into something physical and with mass.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m not moving the goal posts.

I’m establishing, and you’re backing up, that different forms of food have different effects in the body past the amount of energy they produce when lit on fire.

It stands to reason that besides protein leading to muscle growth, there are other hormonal triggers which affect the body and not only how it processes the food but also how it operates as a whole, and if we logically extend that patterns of different food consumption over time will affect how the body operates it further leads to why you’re completely wrong.

In fact the entire existence of Insulin Resistance and Type II diabetes proves you wrong.
View Quote

Body weight is determined by calories in vs calories out. Again show me a fat person that came out of the camps? Are you a chonk because you keep making this sound way more complicated than it is and that’s trademark of people that just can’t accept responsibility for their actions.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Body weight is determined by calories in vs calories out. Again show me a fat person that came out of the camps? Are you a chonk because you keep making this sound way more complicated than it is and that’s trademark of people that just can’t accept responsibility for their actions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not moving the goal posts.

I’m establishing, and you’re backing up, that different forms of food have different effects in the body past the amount of energy they produce when lit on fire.

It stands to reason that besides protein leading to muscle growth, there are other hormonal triggers which affect the body and not only how it processes the food but also how it operates as a whole, and if we logically extend that patterns of different food consumption over time will affect how the body operates it further leads to why you’re completely wrong.

In fact the entire existence of Insulin Resistance and Type II diabetes proves you wrong.

Body weight is determined by a large swath of factors, one of which is calories in vs calories out.

>people who starved to near death were skinny

No shit Sherlock, that doesn’t prove or disprove anything. Perhaps go read the Minnesota Starvation Experiments.

I’m making it sound more complicated than it is because it is more complicated than it is. Much like the study I linked earlier your advice can fuck people up by absolutely destroying their metabolism.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Body weight is determined by a large swath of factors, one of which is calories in vs calories out.

No shit Sherlock, that doesn’t prove or disprove anything. Perhaps go read the Minnesota Starvation Experiments.

I’m making it sound more complicated than it is because it is more complicated than it is. Much like the study I linked earlier your advice can fuck people up by absolutely destroying their metabolism.
View Quote

Was that the thermal dynamics thing? Let’s be real here 99.99% of people are fat because they have no self control and shovel piles of food down their throats and do no physical activities. They don’t need a shot they need some self control and discipline.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If it's not the case then why can Type 1 diabetics easily drop weight by stopping insulin?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not necessarily.

What happens to someone who is colloquially referred to as a "high metabolism" person who consumes more calories than their BMR (basically a person with a correctly working metabolism and hormone response)? The temperature of their body increases and it burns off the excess.

Our bodies are trying to always trend towards homeostasis. How is that point determined?

I don't think that's the case.

If it's not the case then why can Type 1 diabetics easily drop weight by stopping insulin?
Because they piss the sugars out that collect in the blood due to no insulin, then burn fat for energy and go into DKA and die.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Was that the thermal dynamics thing? Let’s be real here 99.99% of people are fat because they have no self control and shovel piles of food down their throats and do no physical activities. They don’t need a shot they need some self control and discipline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t disagree. Obesity is largely an addiction problem which creates an environment for a bunch of disregulated hormones that creates a negative feedback loop.

If approach it first as a hormonal problem, and people can understand the why, they will have better success. Obviously calories matter, but it’s not the only thing that matters.

Again, The Biggest Loser study tells you everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also, people buy cars with seat belts and air bags because 99.99% of them don’t have enough self control to pay attention on the road.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The scarier part to me is the gross ignorance.
View Quote

welcome to keto bro land. where some youtuber with an MD ignoring accepted medical practice to preach low carb = jesus and all other research is a big pharma conspiracy, and doctors want to keep you sick to drive their profits.

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Millions of patients of American doctors did what they were told.  
View Quote

No they didn't. If they had they wouldn't be fat.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Treatment of massive obesity with rice/reduction diet program. An analysis of 106 patients with at least a 45-kg weight loss

eat nothing but rice, lose weight, improve blood glucose control, unpossible according to keto bros.

One hundred six massively obese patients, who each lost at least 45 kg, were treated as outpatients with the rice/reduction diet, exercise, and motivational enhancement under daily supervision. Average weight loss was 63.9 kg. Forty-three patients achieved normal weight. Men lost weight at a greater rate than women. Concomitant with weight reduction, there were significant decrements in blood pressure; fasting and two-hour postprandial blood glucose, serum triglyceride, and serum uric acid levels, and heart-chest ratio as evidenced on chest x-ray film. Electrocardiographic and retinal venous changes improved. Serum cholesterol level did not change significantly. This study demonstrates that massively obese persons can achieve marked weight reduction, even normalization of weight, without hospitalization, surgery, or pharmacologic intervention. Accompanying cardiovascular risk factors show great decrements concomitant with weight loss.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You people "in medicine" allowed your patients to be part of the largest experiment in history, and we now know it was not based on ANY legitimate scientific evidence.  You people in medicine told millions of Americans to follow the .gov recommended food pyramid.  You people were too lazy to do your own due diligence and simply bought what big Pharma was selling you.

Millions of patients of American doctors did what they were told.  They cut saturated fat (stats show Americans really did as they were told) and replaced it with grains, carbs and sugar.  Ansel Keyes persuaded Senator George McGovern to create .gov recommended diet that destroyed MILLIONS of lives.

When doctors told their patients to eat the food pyramid and they got fat, they told their patients to continue eating the pyramid but eat fewer calories.  when they got fatter, doctors blamed them for not doing as they were told. "Eat less, move more."  NEVER did you stop and say, hmm, this isn't working.  We cut fat intake, we increased sugar intake, and Americans suddenly spiked on the obesity chart.  

I do hold doctors responsible for this.  The sugar industry literally bribed Harvard scientists to alter or misrepresent their studies.  Any researcher wanting to study a low carb approach was denied funding.

The food pyramid wasn't a mistake.  IT WAS A LIE. and doctors should have figured that out decades before their patients had to start telling them. You should have done your due diligence when you realized that you were having a 95 percent failure rate on "just cut calories."  You should have known that humans are supposed to eat what they've eaten for 2 million years.  To this day, if someone comes into their doctor's office with great bloodwork, down 20 pounds, looks and feels great and the doctor asks how they did it and the answer is "keto" or "carnivore," the doctor will say "oh my god you've got to go back to what you were doing when you looked and felt miserable!!!!!"

Ansel Keye's "Diet Heart Hypothesis" was actually disproven by his own study:  The Minnesota Coronary Experiment, 1968-1973, used institutionalized mental patients by the tens of thousands.  Yet Keyes' ridiculous "Seven Countries Study" was enough for the US Gov, with money under and over the table from Big Food and Big Pharma, was enough to transform Americans from the healthy Apollo NASA control room guys wearing 32 inch belts into a nation of beach balls.  You medical professionals never stopped to think, "maybe we're giving them the wrong advice.  Maybe I should look at those studies myself?"

You, medical professionals, let down your patients.

Not long ago, as a side effect of a divorce, I had a bout with Ulcerative Colitis.  I put it into remission with strict carb control. But before I got in under control I asked my G.I. guy about diet, he said diet "is not a big factor."  "just avoid fiber during flare-ups," he said.  

So, how's that for starters, doc?
View Quote

To be honest, people don't really follow the "food pyramid", they eat purity junk food like chips, snack foods, and wash it down with soda.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pure rubbish. It doesn't matter much what you eat, it's how much you eat. You can be 100% healthy if you follow the old food pyramid. You can be 100% healthy, weight wise, if you eat 2000 calories of pop tarts and beef jerky sticks assuming your bar is at or under 2000 calories.

This obsession with carbs vs fat is mostly silly. You should eat a balanced diet for many reasons, but in terms of getting fat it's all about eating too much.
View Quote

Eating pop tarts and beef jerky isn't the same as eating meat and vegetables, with a few other whole foods every now and then, in reasonable portions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Imagine being incapable of knowing what good food is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you establish what good stuff is?

Imagine being incapable of knowing what good food is.

Someone in this thread only eating Poptarts is fine...so they are out there.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To be honest, people don't really follow the "food pyramid", they eat purity junk food like chips, snack foods, and wash it down with soda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You people "in medicine" allowed your patients to be part of the largest experiment in history, and we now know it was not based on ANY legitimate scientific evidence.  You people in medicine told millions of Americans to follow the .gov recommended food pyramid.  You people were too lazy to do your own due diligence and simply bought what big Pharma was selling you.

Millions of patients of American doctors did what they were told.  They cut saturated fat (stats show Americans really did as they were told) and replaced it with grains, carbs and sugar.  Ansel Keyes persuaded Senator George McGovern to create .gov recommended diet that destroyed MILLIONS of lives.

When doctors told their patients to eat the food pyramid and they got fat, they told their patients to continue eating the pyramid but eat fewer calories.  when they got fatter, doctors blamed them for not doing as they were told. "Eat less, move more."  NEVER did you stop and say, hmm, this isn't working.  We cut fat intake, we increased sugar intake, and Americans suddenly spiked on the obesity chart.  

I do hold doctors responsible for this.  The sugar industry literally bribed Harvard scientists to alter or misrepresent their studies.  Any researcher wanting to study a low carb approach was denied funding.

The food pyramid wasn't a mistake.  IT WAS A LIE. and doctors should have figured that out decades before their patients had to start telling them. You should have done your due diligence when you realized that you were having a 95 percent failure rate on "just cut calories."  You should have known that humans are supposed to eat what they've eaten for 2 million years.  To this day, if someone comes into their doctor's office with great bloodwork, down 20 pounds, looks and feels great and the doctor asks how they did it and the answer is "keto" or "carnivore," the doctor will say "oh my god you've got to go back to what you were doing when you looked and felt miserable!!!!!"

Ansel Keye's "Diet Heart Hypothesis" was actually disproven by his own study:  The Minnesota Coronary Experiment, 1968-1973, used institutionalized mental patients by the tens of thousands.  Yet Keyes' ridiculous "Seven Countries Study" was enough for the US Gov, with money under and over the table from Big Food and Big Pharma, was enough to transform Americans from the healthy Apollo NASA control room guys wearing 32 inch belts into a nation of beach balls.  You medical professionals never stopped to think, "maybe we're giving them the wrong advice.  Maybe I should look at those studies myself?"

Not long ago, as a side effect of a divorce, I had a bout with Ulcerative Colitis.  I put it into remission with strict carb control. But before I got in under control I asked my G.I. guy about diet, he said diet "is not a big factor."  "just avoid fiber during flare-ups," he said.  

You don’t think the food pyramid had a massive psychological impact on the American Public?

You don’t think telling people to eat less meat and eat more breads and pasta contributed to the modern American diet?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You don’t think the food pyramid had a massive psychological impact on the American Public?

You don’t think telling people to eat less meat and eat more breads and pasta contributed to the modern American diet?
View Quote

I remember being taught the food pyramid all throughout school as a kid.  I also remember being taught in the same classes that regular exercise was hugely important to a person’s overall health.  Why did so many people fall for the great Food Pyramid scam, but completely ignored the part about exercising?  Do we blindly follow whatever guidance the government tells us, or don’t we?
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I remember being taught the food pyramid all throughout school as a kid.  I also remember being taught in the same classes that regular exercise was hugely important to a person’s overall health.  Why did so many people fall for the great Food Pyramid scam, but completely ignored the part about exercising?  Do we blindly follow whatever guidance the government tells us, or don’t we?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we take the approach people as a group are always going to trend for the easiest path, or the path of least resistance, it’s because exercise is an active decision where as food purchasing is a passive decision. You’re going to be buying groceries, regardless. Not to mention the entire food industry really aligned behind the food pyramid and the later heart healthy nonsense.

It’s easy to go, oh I need to buy this because it’s health food, when in reality it’s jam packed with processed sugar.

But again I’ll point to the Biggest Loser Study. Dieting “the correct way” has a habit of wrecking your metabolism and making it hard, if not impossible, to get where you want to be.

There are much easier ways to go about it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If we take the approach people as a group are always going to trend for the easiest path, or the path of least resistance, it’s because exercise is an active decision where as food purchasing is a passive decision. You’re going to be buying groceries, regardless. Not to mention the entire food industry really aligned behind the food pyramid and the later heart healthy nonsense.

It’s easy to go, oh I need to buy this because it’s health food, when in reality it’s jam packed with processed sugar.

But again I’ll point to the Biggest Loser Study. Dieting “the correct way” has a habit of wrecking your metabolism and making it hard, if not impossible, to get where you want to be.

View Quote

Ok, but it’s hard not to see the whole Keto thing as an almost cult-like phenomenon.  It’s such an emotional issue for keto bros, and the need to preach it to everyone whether they ask for it or not is weird.  It is clearly an effective weight loss strategy, but for most people, it is unsustainable and will only ever be a short-term answer.  

People taking the path of least resistance is not something that should be blamed on the government.  I think that everyone with anything close to a normal level of intelligence knows that eating too much, eating crappy food, and not exercising leads to being fat.  For most people, avoiding being fat will require some combination of exercise and a healthy diet.  In other words, self-discipline.  A lot of people don’t want to/aren’t willing to do that, so it makes them feel better to blame the government, Big Food, HFCS, or whatever else for their state.  Maintaining physical fitness is work.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I am amused by the "eat what our ancestors ate" responses. Yes, eliminate processed foods and sugars. Don't eat anything with high fructose corn syrup. If you are going full ancestor then stop eating fast foods, drink only water, stop the take out, pizza, burgers, pasta, and going out to eat entirely. Also, stop drinking beer, which is high carb. Cut out a lot of your daily calories. If you can do all that and still have diabetes then it is not your diet.

Keep in mind is not as though our ancestors had the amount of protein available to them on a daily basis as we do. They were significantly under the protein curve. Which is why if you look at clothes from the say around the civil war and even into the 1940s and 1950s- they look almost like children's clothes today. Men's waist sizes were 32" and under. Many were gaunt people that went to bed hungry, unless they were on the upper end of society, they could afford meals like we have every day.

Photos of my grandparents and their brothers and sisters when they were teenagers, as well as their parents, are all of thin people without fat, but no huge muscle mass either. My grandparents grew up without nearly as much animal protein as we have available now. Probably one day for us was a weeks worth for them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a BINGO!

People over-eat & over-drink carbs.  Our bodies turn carbs into fat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#22]
That’s an interesting point.  I remember a school assignment where I interviewed my grandmother about her life growing up.  She told me about the depression, and the family (her mother, father and 6 kids) subsisting for long periods of time with their main meal being sandwiches made on bread that her mother baked, raw potato slices, and occasionally some white sugar sprinkled on top.  I’ve seen a lot of pictures of the family; they definitely weren’t fat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You don't think the food pyramid had a massive psychological impact on the American Public?

You don't think telling people to eat less meat and eat more breads and pasta contributed to the modern American diet?
View Quote

Nobody told people to drink 6 soft drinks a day, and nobody in the medical community, contrary to some of the posters, said that the calories in pop tarts is the same as calories in, say apples, or couscous.

People came to that conclusion on their own. I was raised in the era of "food groups" and having a scale in your bathroom and using it. I never subscribed to the food pyramid
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ok, but it’s hard not to see the whole Keto thing as an almost cult-like phenomenon.  It’s such an emotional issue for keto bros, and the need to preach it to everyone whether they ask for it or not is weird.  It is clearly an effective weight loss strategy, but for most people, it is unsustainable and will only ever be a short-term answer.  

People taking the path of least resistance is not something that should be blamed on the government.  I think that everyone with anything close to a normal level of intelligence knows that eating too much, eating crappy food, and not exercising leads to being fat.  For most people, avoiding being fat will require some combination of exercise and a healthy diet.  In other words, self-discipline.  A lot of people don’t want to/aren’t willing to do that, so it makes them feel better to blame the government, Big Food, HFCS, or whatever else for their state.  Maintaining physical fitness is work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keto is almost certainly a cult.

When conceptualizing weight loss it should be looked at as tools in the toolbox. Being scared of carbohydrates limits your metabolic flexibility, and half the people doing it just use it as an excuse to eat a bunch of fake fat shit without addressing the underlying addiction issues.

For strict weight loss I’d rather do fasting and carnivore.

Someone I argued with nailed it, for the most part when it comes to a lifestyle of it. Just avoid processed food, eat primarily meat, and you’ll be fine. Although I’d add in shrink the eating window, don’t snack, and avoid any kind of seed oils. If you have serious addiction issues just stick to OMAD.

At the end of the day obesity is almost always a hormone and addiction issue. The two are a negative feedback loop that are linked. Overcoming the hormones can help overcome the addiction aspect.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That’s a BINGO!

People over-eat & over-drink carbs.  Our bodies turn carbs into fat.
View Quote

I would argue high sugar sodas and drinks are one of the most dangerous things we actually have as people have them in between meals, not even allowing their glucose levels to come down.

Quoted:

Nobody told people to drink 6 soft drinks a day, and nobody in the medical community, contrary to some of the posters, said that the calories in pop tarts is the same as calories in, say apples, or couscous.

People came to that conclusion on their own. I was raised in the era of "food groups" and having a scale in your bathroom and using it. I never subscribed to the food pyramid
View Quote

Yet diet soda and zero calories soda still exists, but most people don’t understand the concept of Insulin, even those with diabetes.

And you’re actually wrong to some extent. Sodas were advertised as a meal replacement alongside the mentality of eating smaller meals throughout the day for health.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ok, but it's hard not to see the whole Keto thing as an almost cult-like phenomenon.  It's such an emotional issue for keto bros, and the need to preach it to everyone whether they ask for it or not is weird.  It is clearly an effective weight loss strategy, but for most people, it is unsustainable and will only ever be a short-term answer.  

People taking the path of least resistance is not something that should be blamed on the government.  I think that everyone with anything close to a normal level of intelligence knows that eating too much, eating crappy food, and not exercising leads to being fat.  For most people, avoiding being fat will require some combination of exercise and a healthy diet.  In other words, self-discipline.  A lot of people don't want to/aren't willing to do that, so it makes them feel better to blame the government, Big Food, HFCS, or whatever else for their state.  Maintaining physical fitness is work.
View Quote
TLDR: exactly this.

I first realized what "keto" diet was when I radically changed my diet and found that it a profound effect on the inflammation from arthritis. I thought it was because of my diet that pretty much eliminated all starchy foods and sugar.

Then I discovered the keto thread. It started out as such a positive thing. It was weird though that the people doing it in the thread were eschewed all vegetables, deeming anything that wasn't greasy as inappropriate on the diet. I was in ketosis and consuming a variety of healthy whole foods.

I noticed another trend as time went on, the people "fell off the wagon". Even though they lost a bunch of weight, had to get new clothes, they got to a point where they gained the weight back and more.

If you peruse the keto thread, you can see that it's a documentary of failure. The people replaced one diet with another one, the goal being "eating all you want".

Heck, look at the other diet threads. Look at the diet suggestions from the arf gluttons. The "diets" are mostly tons of greasy meat, with more grease added! It's nuts!

It's no different than the low fat, high carb, eat all you want diet, with the people using it as a way to "eat all they want". They could choose to consume things like leafy greens, broccoli, blueberries, but food isn't even referred to as the name of the food anymore, it's all ribs, bacon, and "carbs".

Frequently there are "recipes" to mimic regular non keto food. One big emphasis is how the high grease diet is "easy" and you can "eat all you want".

Which is why I think it seems to fail, in practically every instance. You can tell by the language people use, that this is going to happen. They make reference to a "wagon" that they fall off of and must get back on.

I think the language is the key. When someone uses words like"wagon" and "cheat" it's because to that person, it was acceptable to get over 100lbs overweight to begin with, that's why they do easily become 100lbs overweight again.

So now I avoid using the phrase "keto diet", especially around my physicians, because it conjures up the concept of someone gorging on bacon and ribs and avoiding anything else.

What people are referring to as a "keto diet" is mostly a high grease low fiber and nutrient diet. Over time, this is going to prove to be as bad as the food pyramid people hate. It's still not a balanced diet, the emphasis isn't on health, it's on "eating all you want" and how "easy" this is because you are "never hungry".

One particularly humorous thing I've noticed is that when someone is trying to lose weight and their grease diet isn't working, there is a chorus of "eat more fat!". because you know, the lard ass trying to lose weight doesn't already have enough fat stores to use up.

I mean, look at it! The high fat cult is no different than the low fat cult! There's smidgens of truth in each group, but what's in common is the "eat as much as you want" and the phenomena of referring to food as a macro.

Also - blueberries and vegetables will not kill you or make you fat. You need fiber.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I first realized what "keto" diet was when I radically changed my diet and found that it a profound effect on the inflammation from arthritis. I thought it was because of my diet that pretty much eliminated all starchy foods and sugar.

Then I discovered the keto thread. It started out as such a positive thing. It was weird though that the people doing it in the thread were eschewed all vegetables, deeming anything that wasn't greasy as inappropriate on the diet. I was in ketosis and consuming a variety of healthy whole foods.

I noticed another trend as time went on, the people "fell off the wagon". Even though they lost a bunch of weight, had to get new clothes, they got to a point where they gained the weight back and more.

If you peruse the keto thread, you can see that it's a documentary of failure. The people replaced one diet with another one, the goal being "eating all you want".

Heck, look at the other diet threads. Look at the diet suggestions from the arf gluttons. The "diets" are mostly tons of greasy meat, with more grease added! It's nuts!

It's no different than the low fat, high carb, eat all you want diet, with the people using it as a way to "eat all they want". They could choose to consume things like leafy greens, broccoli, blueberries, but food isn't even referred to as the name of the food anymore, it's all ribs, bacon, and "carbs".

Frequently there are "recipes" to mimic regular non keto food. One big emphasis is how the high grease diet is "easy" and you can "eat all you want".

Which is why I think it seems to fail, in practically every instance. You can tell by the language people use, that this is going to happen. They make reference to a "wagon" that they fall off of and must get back on.

I think the language is the key. When someone uses words like"wagon" and "cheat" it's because to that person, it was acceptable to get over 100lbs overweight to begin with, that's why they do easily become 100lbs overweight again.

So now I avoid using the phrase "keto diet", especially around my physicians, because it conjures up the concept of someone gorging on bacon and ribs and avoiding anything else.

What people are referring to as a "keto diet" is mostly a high grease low fiber and nutrient diet. Over time, this is going to prove to be as bad as the food pyramid people hate. It's still not a balanced diet, the emphasis isn't on health, it's on "eating all you want" and how "easy" this is because you are "never hungry".

One particularly humorous thing I've noticed is that when someone is trying to lose weight and their grease diet isn't working, there is a chorus of "eat more fat!". because you know, the lard ass trying to lose weight doesn't already have enough fat stores to use up.

I mean, look at it! The high fat cult is no different than the low fat cult! There's smidgens of truth in each group, but what's in common is the "eat as much as you want" and the phenomena of referring to food as a macro.

Also - blueberries and vegetables will not kill you or make you fat. You need fiber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, but it's hard not to see the whole Keto thing as an almost cult-like phenomenon.  It's such an emotional issue for keto bros, and the need to preach it to everyone whether they ask for it or not is weird.  It is clearly an effective weight loss strategy, but for most people, it is unsustainable and will only ever be a short-term answer.  

People taking the path of least resistance is not something that should be blamed on the government.  I think that everyone with anything close to a normal level of intelligence knows that eating too much, eating crappy food, and not exercising leads to being fat.  For most people, avoiding being fat will require some combination of exercise and a healthy diet.  In other words, self-discipline.  A lot of people don't want to/aren't willing to do that, so it makes them feel better to blame the government, Big Food, HFCS, or whatever else for their state.  Maintaining physical fitness is work.

Agree with most of what you said except fiber.

Can you really blame people at a certain point? There’s billions of dollars in advertising spent every year from companies like Coca Cola and fast food companies, plus all the various snack brands and shit.

Society as a whole has everyone in its sights to promote a heavily consumerist lifestyle. For a lot of people, complete changing their diet also results in them having to change friend groups and the way they interact with others.

I was having a really good discussion on this yesterday with someone, and I think so much of it comes down to truly, how many options do average people get to exercise each day? If you’re just going to work and doing your job, things you can decide are basically your meals. That’s the extent of the freedom you can exercise, which will probably lead to a lot of your dopamine coming from those actions.

“Oh, I’m having a shitty day already, let me stop by Starbucks”
“Oh that meeting was terrible I want to get out of this place for lunch”
“Man I had a terrible day but Im gonna treat myself”

Then comes out the billions of dollars in advertising just waiting for you to slip up. And once you make one bad decision, it’s a lot easier to rationalize more of them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am amused by the "eat what our ancestors ate" responses. Yes, eliminate processed foods and sugars. Don't eat anything with high fructose corn syrup. If you are going full ancestor then stop eating fast foods, drink only water, stop the take out, pizza, burgers, pasta, and going out to eat entirely. Also, stop drinking beer, which is high carb. Cut out a lot of your daily calories. If you can do all that and still have diabetes then it is not your diet.

Keep in mind is not as though our ancestors had the amount of protein available to them on a daily basis as we do. They were significantly under the protein curve. Which is why if you look at clothes from the say around the civil war and even into the 1940s and 1950s- they look almost like children's clothes today. Men's waist sizes were 32" and under. Many were gaunt people that went to bed hungry, unless they were on the upper end of society, they could afford meals like we have every day.

Photos of my grandparents and their brothers and sisters when they were teenagers, as well as their parents, are all of thin people without fat, but no huge muscle mass either. My grandparents grew up without nearly as much animal protein as we have available now. Probably one day for us was a weeks worth for them.
View Quote

Also, notice that one of the features of modern mindset in the country is the fear of being "too skinny"

Peruse the diet threads, hambeasts start to lose weight, and they immediately state that they don't want to get "too skinny"

Not only that, but when other hambeasts state that the former hambeast is "too skinny", they purposely gain weight back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can you really blame people at a certain point? There’s billions of dollars in advertising spent every year from companies like Coca Cola and fast food companies, plus all the various snack brands and shit.

Society as a whole has everyone in its sights to promote a heavily consumerist lifestyle. For a lot of people, complete changing their diet also results in them having to change friend groups and the way they interact with others.

I was having a really good discussion on this yesterday with someone, and I think so much of it comes down to truly, how many options do average people get to exercise each day? If you’re just going to work and doing your job, things you can decide are basically your meals. That’s the extent of the freedom you can exercise, which will probably lead to a lot of your dopamine coming from those actions.

Then comes out the billions of dollars in advertising just waiting for you to slip up. And once you make one bad decision, it’s a lot easier to rationalize more of them.
View Quote

Honestly, it just sounds like you are making excuses and/or looking for someone else to blame.  It takes commitment and work.  People with jobs can stay in shape too, they don’t have to be overweight.  Get up earlier and work out.  Do it on your lunch break.  If you can’t do that and all you can decide on is your meals, then make better decisions on your meals.  Eat less.  Eat better.  Take responsibility for yourself.  A lot of people just won’t do that, and it isn’t anyone else’s fault.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Honestly, it just sounds like you are making excuses and/or looking for someone else to blame.  It takes commitment and work.  People with jobs can stay in shape too, they don’t have to be overweight.  Get up earlier and work out.  Do it on your lunch break.  If you can’t do that and all you can decide on is your meals, then make better decisions on your meals.  Eat less.  Eat better.  Take responsibility for yourself.  A lot of people just won’t do that, and it isn’t anyone else’s fault.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not talking about myself, I’m talking about the average person. I’m not saying they aren’t ultimately to blame, I’m just saying we as a society have to figure this shit out as a whole.

Responsibility is absolutely right, but we live in a culture that is anti responsibility. But even worse than that is equipping people with the wrong tools.

A lot of the modern advice given is the equivalent of sending someone into battle with a squirt gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I’m not talking about myself, I’m talking about the average person. I’m not saying they aren’t ultimately to blame, I’m just saying we as a society have to figure this shit out as a whole.

Responsibility is absolutely right, but we live in a culture that is anti responsibility. But even worse than that is equipping people with the wrong tools.

A lot of the modern advice given is the equivalent of sending someone into battle with a squirt gun.
View Quote

If you aren't talking about yourself, I guess I'm not sure that I understand your deep attachment to this topic.  Are you overweight, or were you before?  Are you on Ozempic or a similar drug for weight loss?  Are you a keto (or other similar low/no carb) diet proponent?  Have you lost a lot of weight with that diet and now feel like you have to tell everyone that they should do the same thing?  Who is equipping these people with the wrong tools?  What are the right tools, and who should be responsible for equipping them?  

As a side note, I could not tell you the last time I saw an advertisement for soda.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s all a choice and being responsible. There’s no reason you can’t eat healthy. Does it mean a change in lifestyle? Sure. I mean I don’t drink but still manage to hangout with friends that do . I don’t eat shit yet manage to find healthy things to eat when I go out with friends. People are lazy as fuck and want the easy life. The end result is fat people with a million excuses why they can’t eat right or workout and it’s everyone’s fault except their own.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Treatment of massive obesity with rice/reduction diet program. An analysis of 106 patients with at least a 45-kg weight loss

eat nothing but rice, lose weight, improve blood glucose control, unpossible according to keto bros.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

One hundred six massively obese patients, who each lost at least 45 kg, were treated as outpatients with the rice/reduction diet, exercise, and motivational enhancement under daily supervision. Average weight loss was 63.9 kg. Forty-three patients achieved normal weight. Men lost weight at a greater rate than women. Concomitant with weight reduction, there were significant decrements in blood pressure; fasting and two-hour postprandial blood glucose, serum triglyceride, and serum uric acid levels, and heart-chest ratio as evidenced on chest x-ray film. Electrocardiographic and retinal venous changes improved. Serum cholesterol level did not change significantly. This study demonstrates that massively obese persons can achieve marked weight reduction, even normalization of weight, without hospitalization, surgery, or pharmacologic intervention. Accompanying cardiovascular risk factors show great decrements concomitant with weight loss.

So the early Survivor diet?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top