Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2021 9:20:04 PM EDT
I’m in my middle 40s and have been very lucky as far as hair loss (meaning I’ve had none).

Well, that’s starting to change and my hair is noticeably thinning on the top/back. I can comb my hair and it covers it up mostly, but I know that’s a losing battle and that won’t be the case forever.  Other than that, it’s really thick everywhere else.

I always thought I wouldn’t care when I started losing it, but I do.

I’m trying a topical minoxidil/finasteride from a reputable source (required a doctors prescription).

I’m wondering if any of y’all have any experience with this and if it proved successful for you?

Did it affect hormone levels or libido?  How long did you use it for you to see results?

Any experiences you can share would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 31 and went bald super fast starting at 29.

Probably had a lot to do with stressors in my life, I miss it, but just shave it down now.

It must be God's way of giving other guys a chance, because with hair, I'm just too damned handsome

Good luck in your quest for hanging onto your hair OP, from what I know about the subject, you'rw on the right track, but you'll be on it for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done both for about 18 months now.

I find that it has maybe slowed the loss down, but hasn't reversed it.

I did more research and apparently aspartame is a likely cause of hair loss as well that presents much like MPB.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'd rather give up my hair or Diet Dew.  I've cut back a ton, but still drink one a day or so.

I'm 33.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a DHT killer....

So you may have to decide between a head of hair or being able to maintain an erection.

Do some research before you decide.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a DHT killer....

So you may have to decide between a head of hair or being able to maintain an erection.

Do some research before you decide.
View Quote

A bald head is a solar panel for a love machine.

Check out this stud muffin.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Shave it off.  Lost mine around 35.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I used finasteride.

Reversed some of the loss.  Not sure what other effects it had.  I had a string of bad things happen around the same time I started taking it.  So, I'm not sure if age, lack of sleep, depression, or finasteride caused a decrease in my motivation and my drive.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm 31 and went bald super fast starting at 29.

Probably had a lot to do with stressors in my life, I miss it, but just shave it down now.
View Quote
About the same.  None of the minoxdinal worked to bring it back, just keep it from leaving.

I just buzz it now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I used finasteride.

Reversed some of the loss.  Not sure what other effects it had.  I had a string of bad things happen around the same time I started taking it.  So, I'm not sure if age, lack of sleep, depression, or finasteride caused a decrease in my motivation and my drive.
View Quote

it's pretty much chemical castration for many.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
It's ok to be bald as long as you're not fat.

Fat and bald is no way to go through life son.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I was part of the late trials just before it was officially a hair medicine ~ 30 years ago.

It halted my hair loss for about 18 months, and then it started back up, and accelerated when I went off of it.

I got a double dose of bad genes as far as male pattern baldness goes, so it was too much to hope for.

In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered knowing what I know now.

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Works great.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
A bic is your friend!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Works great.
View Quote

Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Works great.

Care to elaborate?

In combo with testosterone therapy, it’s regrown a ton of hair for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The richest man in the world is bald
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I gave up on having a full head of hair at ~26.

Never think about it anymore.

Burr/buzz now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’m in my middle 40s and have been very lucky as far as hair loss (meaning I’ve had none).

Well, that’s starting to change and my hair is noticeably thinning on the top/back. I can comb my hair and it covers it up mostly, but I know that’s a losing battle and that won’t be the case forever.  Other than that, it’s really thick everywhere else.

I always thought I wouldn’t care when I started losing it, but I do.

I’m trying a topical minoxidil/finasteride from a reputable source (required a doctors prescription).

I’m wondering if any of y’all have any experience with this and if it proved successful for you?

Did it affect hormone levels or libido?  How long did you use it for you to see results?

Any experiences you can share would be appreciated.
View Quote

I started going bald at age 18.  I tried both Rogaine and Propecia without effect.

December 25, 2002 I decided it was time to do what I should have done when I was 18.  SHAVE MY HEAD.

It is the best thing ever!  I've been shaving it ever since and like a bald friend told me "you'll get more dates" he was right.

I dated way more and way hotter girls.  When I shave my head (if I let it grow out say 1/4 of an inch) I feel "younger."  

My current GF is 9 years younger than me, the hottest and most fit girl I've ever dated, and she loves my bald head.

SHAVE YOUR HEAD.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't listen. Fight to try and keep your hair.

Every time I see a bald guy I think to myself "poor guy I wonder how sick he is?"
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d quit the finasteride immediately.

Minoxidil is fine.

I’ve always been a very happy, well adjusted person.  When I was about 30 years old my hair was slightly thinning and I decided to try finasteride.  

It made me want to kill myself.

It took me a long time to figure out why.  And I did figure it out in time, but even then took months to shake off and become my happy self again.

I have honestly never had anything fuck up my mind that badly.  

And part of the problem was that after a lifetime of confidence I didn’t believe a drug or anything else would/could ever affect me that way, so I failed to see it in myself.  It just insidiously takes over.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-merck-propecia-suicide-exclusive-idUSKBN2A32XU
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Before you take drugs to fix it. Order a bottle of regenepure dr from Amazon. This stuff will grow your hair back as long as it's not too bad. It even worked for my aging mom. You'll know if it's working in 3 weeks or so. You'll see tons of little 1/4 inch long hairs sprouting. I've only seen this stuff fail to work for 1 person but I'm not sure they used it for a month.

Either way, good luck.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I started losing mine at 19.
I should have bought stock in bic
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Shave it.  Freedom.  

Just grow facial hair and be in decent shape.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#23]
My hairline is showing early signs of receding at 30. I use Nioxin shampoo/conditioner exclusively with some intermittent use of Rogaine foam and DHT blocking supplement.  I really just use the shampoo/conditioner.

I haven’t noticed any more recession since starting the shampoo use.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A bic is your friend!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL. Don’t be such a faggot. Going bald and then shaving your head is better than going bald and then taking supplements or whatever to look like joe Biden with his hair plugs and eventual comb back. No experience here because I have a beautiful coif at 48 and bang chicks of all races. Always skinny, not fat hags. But if I was losing hair I would still have game. Mainly because I’m not a self hating douchebag manlet who is short and lives in my parents basement.

-your pleasure journal
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I started noticing my hair thinning when I was 37. Minoxidil sounded like too much of a pain in the ass, knew I’d never stick with it. Went with finasteride from Keeps.

Been taking it for two years. It takes at least 6 months to really see results. That’s just because hair goes thru growth cycles and it takes a while to grow. So you gotta be patient. The thinning of my hair has stopped. Maybe some regrew but nothing dramatic. Realistically I was expecting to basically keep what I have, so I’m happy with the result.  I think the key with this stuff is to start taking it at the first sign of hair loss.

Zero side effects. No boner issues or anything else mentioned in this thread.

I had the required shaved head in basic training. Yeah, that’s not a good look for me so I wanted to keep my hair if at all possible haha so far so good.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, since my mid-20s. I'm 47 now. They work. I have a twin brother who never took them, he's bald now.

But Finasteride is too much of a crap shoot. If I had known about the side effects some people suffered (impotence, moobs, depression, shrunken genitals) I never would have taken it. But it worked for me.

This supplement works great for stopping hair loss:

https://www.amazon.com/Country-Life-Maxi-Hair-Palmetto-Softgels/dp/B0083V278G
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Topical finasteride is the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, since my mid-20s. I'm 47 now. They work. I have a twin brother who never took them, he's bald now.

But Finasteride is too much of a crap shoot. If I had known about the side effects some people suffered (impotence, moobs, depression, shrunken genitals) I never would have taken it. But it worked for me.

View Quote

Saw palmetto is like a mild natural finasteride, it’s also good for your prostate. When taken in large enough quantities for a few weeks it will increase the err um payload volume

Never tried one with pumpkin seeds/oil.

ETA: Was thinking of pygeum on the prostate front; but, saw palmetto may have similar effects.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LOL. Don’t be such a faggot. Going bald and then shaving your head is better than going bald and then taking supplements or whatever to look like joe Biden with his hair plugs and eventual comb back. No experience here because I have a beautiful coif at 48 and bang chicks of all races. Always skinny, not fat hags. But if I was losing hair I would still have game. Mainly because I’m not a self hating douchebag manlet who is short and lives in my parents basement.

-your pleasure journal
View Quote

Coming in strong..
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Saw palmetto is like a mild natural finasteride, it's also good for your prostate. When taken in large enough quantities for a few weeks it will increase the err um payload volume

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw palmetto is like a mild natural finasteride, it's also good for your prostate. When taken in large enough quantities for a few weeks it will increase the err um payload volume

It also has DIM that helps to flush hormones like DHT out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#32]
It’s just hair man.  Let it go.  Get a bowflex for your vanity, and one of those head shaver things.

Don’t dose yourself with a bunch of quack medication over some hair.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

-your pleasure journal
View Quote

Lol this is brilliant
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Works great.

Care to elaborate?

Sometimes I think the more I learn, the less I know.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I take finasteride for prostate issues. It has not stopped hair loss, maybe it has slowed iyt. Definately hasn't reversed it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Works great.

Care to elaborate?

You're a woman, right?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I was prescribed Minoxidil for a couple years for my blood pressure. I would say it slowed hair loss on my head but I definitely had an increase of hair growth on my arms and legs. Once I stopped taking it, it all went back to normal. Yes, Minoxidil was developed as a hair loss med but was found to be very effective in lowering BP.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Just give up on life and buy clippers like everyone else OP.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#39]
chemisty rx has that stuff there a compounding pharmacy. you have to becareful with finastride oral it may bloat/grow u breasts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've done both for about 18 months now.

I find that it has maybe slowed the loss down, but hasn't reversed it.

I did more research and apparently aspartame is a likely cause of hair loss as well that presents much like MPB.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'd rather give up my hair or Diet Dew.  I've cut back a ton, but still drink one a day or so.

I'm 33.
View Quote
Im 52, Ive been drinking diet coke since I was 18.  Still full head of hair
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In combo with testosterone therapy, it's regrown a ton of hair for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Works great.

Care to elaborate?

In combo with testosterone therapy, it's regrown a ton of hair for me.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#42]
The most effective treatment is a combination of DGAF and Wahl.

Cheaper, permanent, and will simplify your life and grooming by 300%. Seriously, no one who ever matters gives a single shit about the hair on your head and it won't affect your love life.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Been using generic finasteride for over 15 years. It sucks taking it everyday. Nowadays I often dont take it everyday. As far as I can tell it works, based on comparison to family members.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#45]
My advice, start both sooner rather than later.

Been using Minoxidil since 22, I am 30 now. It works, albeit with diminishing results as time marches on. I started finasteride 3 years ago and wish I had started sooner.

My twin brother started minoxidil 1 year after me and now he is bald. I am not.

ETA: as far as the finasteride, I was a bit more irritable for about 2 months, and that about it. My sex life is the same as it ever was, and I know its working because we had a kid recently
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Minoxidil can cause weight gain and heart damage/failure.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Don't listen. Fight to try and keep your hair.

Every time I see a bald guy I think to myself "poor guy I wonder how sick he is?"
View Quote

Lol oof
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was prescribed Minoxidil for a couple years for my blood pressure. I would say it slowed hair loss on my head but I definitely had an increase of hair growth on my arms and legs. Once I stopped taking it, it all went back to normal. Yes, Minoxidil was developed as a hair loss med but was found to be very effective in lowering BP.
View Quote

Interestingly enough, my resting heart rate has started to drop since I started it ??
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just give up on life and buy clippers like everyone else OP.
View Quote

I’ll get there eventually (the clippers part, not the giving up part).

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Trying to hang on to hair is unmasculine and a dealbreaker.

That kind of vanity is for women.

Be bald and sexy, not a plugs and rogaine weenie.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top