Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/30/2022 5:35:29 PM EDT
Ending WFH is 'RACIST'! Apple staff tell CEO Tim Cook that forcing them back to the office will make tech firm 'younger, whiter and more male-dominated'
'Apple Together,' a group of about 200 Apple employees, wrote an open letter on Friday condemning the company's choice to bring staffers back to its offices
CEO Tim Cook wrote in an email to staffers that they would need to work in the office one day a week, gradually ramping up to three days a week by mid-May
The group said that the shift back to in-person will make the company 'younger, whiter, more male-dominated, more neuro-normative [and] more able-bodied'
They said it will lead to 'privileges' - like location, age, race and gender - 'deciding who can work for Apple, not who'd be the best fit'

'Privileges like “being born in the the right place so you don’t have to relocate”, or “being young enough to start a new life in a new city/country” or “having a stay-at-home spouse who will move with you."'

'And privileges like being born into a gender that society doesn’t expect the majority of care-work from, so it’s easy to disappear into an office all day, without doing your fair share of unpaid work in society. Or being rich enough to pay others to do your care-work for you.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10770827/Apple-staff-claim-forcing-work-person-lead-whiter-male-dominated-workforce.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire every single one of them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fpni
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Bet they thought going woke would prevent this sort of thing.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Plenty of perfectly valid reasons why wfh can work for some people but they pick the retarded one
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Its all so tiresome...
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#8]
These companies went all in on the covid narrative for political reasons and silenced anything and anyone that went against the narrative. Fuck them,  you wanted this.  You hired a bunch of whiney liberals, that always get their way and haven't been told no.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I would think global worming might work better as a reason.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Get your lazy asses back to the office.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
No bong in the office. And, you have to wear shoes instead of bunny slippers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
So every business before the pandemic was racist?

Sorry, I forgot everything is racist.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
In September, while tensions over the company's return to in-person work were still brewing before Apple's plans to bring workers back were thwarted by the onset of COVID-19's Delta variant, Apple engineer Cher Scarlett spoke out to Vox about this expectation of in-person collaboration.    

'There’s this idea that people skateboarding around tech campuses are bumping into each other and coming up with great new inventions,' said Scarlett, who joined the company during the pandemic and became a leader in organizing her colleagues on pushing for more remote work. 'That’s just not true.'

Scarlett, one of two founding members of Apple Together when it was first formed in August under the name 'Apple Too,' left the company in November and has pending complaints with the labor board.

She and Janneke Parrish, who was also fired and has also filed charges with the National Labor Relations Board, encouraged staffers to come forward with stories of racism, sexism or discrimination in their workplace.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
What a change from the Steve Jobs days.
Employees would hide from him when he was walking around in the campus.
He would stop a random employee and ask him or her what they were doing contributing for Apple.
If the reply wasn't satisfactory for Jobs, he would fire them right there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh, hope it works out for them. Fuck Apple.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So every business before the pandemic was racist?

Sorry, I forgot everything is racist.
View Quote

Duh.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#17]
“This is an industry with a pronounced racism and misogyny problem,” said Meredith Whittaker, a former Google employee who helped lead the walkout there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/10/14/apple-worker-cher-scarlett/
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#19]
“Neuro normative”?!?!?!?!  What the hell does that even mean???
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Does this mean the white man is now the slave?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been that way for past 50 years already
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#24]
so it’s easy to disappear into an office all day
View Quote

Like….going to work?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's some cheese to go with that whine.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#26]
They can always go work for twitte____

never mind
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Ha! This is why you pay $1300 for a Chicom made phone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I am a tax slave, of that there is no doubt.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Showing up to work on time everyday is a white male trait. It’s their privelege and how they keep others down.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ha! This is why you pay $1300 for a Chicom made phone.
View Quote
Think I paid $700 for my wife's IP12 and years ago my 7 plus was $500.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#31]
The reasons people come up with when they yell and scream about returning to the office tend to be hilarious.

LIke if you are more productive at home, just say you are more productive at home.

At my job, the big boss sent out an email saying we were returning to the office in a month or so.  1 day a week.  Outrage ensued.  We had an all hands meeting where the big bosses went over some peoples questions and reasons about not being able to return to the office.

One person... I shit you not... said they had sold their car and they wouldn' tbe able to return to the office lmao  I thought that was bad, but this whole "returning to the office is racist/misogynist/whatever" is just insane.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Increased water consumption b/c they have to shower before working.  No 30-45 minute break after 15 min of work either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Reply: All

Re: Your demands to keep working from home:

"I'm sorry you feel that way. Please note that this will be the last transmission you will receive from me as you are no longer employed by this company. Good day!"
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know..If the work gets done while working from home what difference does it make?

I grew accustomed to WFH but since my job requires a fair amount of lab work, I have to have a presence on-site.  These days I basically go in and do 5-6 hours of lab work than let my experiments get started and go home to do data and than Fridays I work from home and do administrative stuff I need to do.  

The work gets done, no one is complaining about it not getting done.  

There are a few people that come into work and literally spend all day on Teams/Zoom meetings and it seems absolutely pointless to me.  I get the optics part of it but lets face it, it's 2022 and one can work as efficiently if not better at home away from distractions.  It also saves a ton of time and money for those of us who have hour long commutes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know..If the work gets done while working from home what difference does it make?

I grew accustomed to WFH but since my job requires a fair amount of lab work, I have to have a presence on-site.  These days I basically go in and do 5-6 hours of lab work than let my experiments get started and go home to do data and than Fridays I work from home and do administrative stuff I need to do.  

The work gets done, no one is complaining about it not getting done.  

There are a few people that come into work and literally spend all day on Teams/Zoom meetings and it seems absolutely pointless to me.  I get the optics part of it but lets face it, it's 2022 and one can work as efficiently if not better at home away from distractions.  It also saves a ton of time and money for those of us who have hour long commutes.
View Quote

Oh I don't care about people working from home. I just know the type of employees that would group together and make a big fuss like this and they aren't worth the trouble. If you want to work from home go sit down with your boss and explain why and if they permit it then go for it. This is a good opportunity to get rid of 200 whiny douche nozzles.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

'deciding who can work for Apple, not who'd be the best fit'

View Quote

LOL, how dare Apple put a focus on people actually doing work for them. The damn snowflakes think Apple is a lifestyle that should fit them.  

Apple and big tech created that nonsense, I hope both sides end up getting severely burnt by it.

ETA, I just spent 3 days back at the office.  I was helping train a new hire, a younger black man, who did not seem to have any problem coming into the office.  Apple employees are racists for saying black people can't work in an office.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
“Neuro normative”?!?!?!?!  What the hell does that even mean???
View Quote

cis normative able bodied hands typed this
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ending WFH is 'RACIST'! Apple staff tell CEO Tim Cook that forcing them back to the office will make tech firm 'younger, whiter and more male-dominated'
'Apple Together,' a group of about 200 Apple employees, wrote an open letter on Friday condemning the company's choice to bring staffers back to its offices
CEO Tim Cook wrote in an email to staffers that they would need to work in the office one day a week, gradually ramping up to three days a week by mid-May
The group said that the shift back to in-person will make the company 'younger, whiter, more male-dominated, more neuro-normative [and] more able-bodied'
They said it will lead to 'privileges' - like location, age, race and gender - 'deciding who can work for Apple, not who'd be the best fit'

'Privileges like “being born in the the right place so you don’t have to relocate”, or “being young enough to start a new life in a new city/country” or “having a stay-at-home spouse who will move with you."'

'And privileges like being born into a gender that society doesn’t expect the majority of care-work from, so it’s easy to disappear into an office all day, without doing your fair share of unpaid work in society. Or being rich enough to pay others to do your care-work for you.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10770827/Apple-staff-claim-forcing-work-person-lead-whiter-male-dominated-workforce.html
View Quote

"You're fired"

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Lazy race baiting motherfuckers! Fire them all!
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh it's coming.

this is definitely viewed as a "career limiting move" by those who make decisions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was just wondering how these kind of idiots tie their shoes every day.  Now I know.  They don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What a change from the Steve Jobs days.
Employees would hide from him when he was walking around in the campus.
He would stop a random employee and ask him or her what they were doing contributing for Apple.
If the reply wasn't satisfactory for Jobs, he would fire them right there.
View Quote
Sort of, but not exactly.

the question was two parts 1) what are you working on and 2) what do you contribute.

if you could not clearly articulate your project and purpose then maybe you're not essential and the project needs to be reviewed.

this was often done right as the elevator doors closed and generally have until the elevator stops.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boy, Starbuck is going to have to open a shitload of new stores, between Apple and Twitter running off loons.

Most Starbuck stores don't look big enough to fit all of the required bathrooms.

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been WFH for years.  My employer saves on coffee, square footage, heat and AC, water, electricity, internet service, toilet paper and soap, buys fewer meals every time they treat the office to lunch or donuts, one less slice of cake at parties, less parking spaces, etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Is that racist? Is that sexist? Is that ageist? Or just expecting equal work for equal pay?  

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#49]
As someone who's worked at work through the entire pandemic, all I have to say to the fucking retards who are scared to come out of their houses or who are too fucking lazy to wake up and go to work is this: Fuck You.

That's all. Just Fuck You.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Its not just at Apple. Many younger workers act like this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top