Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a fan of surface mount components. Not horrible to remove or solder but good luck getting numbers off of them especially if they fail / fry.
If you work on things you can you can figure out the flow and circuitry but still need values or numbers to replace.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the appliance. A Sub Zero is worth repairing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every time something breaks my wife gets excited because we can get something new.  Or worry's about the cost to pay someone to fix it.  Almost every time I fix it.

View Quote

Lol. My wife is the same way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Diverter valve
Is what it was on mine. 18 month old kenmore and started noticing dishes on bottom where not getting clean.

Chapped my ass that such a new appliance would have any failure but none the less I wasn’t about to buy another washer.

Found part for $80 on appliance repair site, cross referenced number to Amazon and picked up part for $25 shipped.

Now the bitch of it it I’m pretty sure the washing machine (clothes) needs a new bearing(s).

The shit they make now is straight garbage but I can’t afford to buy new every 2-3 years. Chaps my ass too that we tried to buy “good” appliances but my cheap-O washer and dryer we bought back in 08’ were the best and held up for 12 years almost.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a Bosch.

Mine is 22 years old and still runs.  Only dishwasher I have ever had, except the wife.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The cheap Whirlpool replaced a Bosch that had a board failure at 3 years.

Disposable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One option is to buy a good model of dishwasher to start with.  Our house came with a contractors grade dishwasher.  When it died we got a Bosch made Kenmore.  It worked flawlessly and we only replaced it because we upgraded our kitchen to stainless steel.  We bought a Bosch Benchmark model and love that one also.

Contractor grade dishwasher - 6 years (died)
Bosch/Kenmore - 16 years + (still worked)
Bosch - 2 years thus far (to infinity and beyond?)

The cheap Whirlpool replaced a Bosch that had a board failure at 3 years.

Disposable.
Did you check to see if there was a recall on it?  When our Bosch had an issue, my appliance repair guy checked on the Bosch site, ordered the part and came over an replaced it no charge.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I just spent almost $200 in parts repairing a 20 year old washing machine myself.  No way I was buying one of them new fangled pieces of utter crap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
In five uesrs I have used the dishwasher about 5 times, typically after a large holiday gathering

The things are nearly worthless.

OP's original point is valid though.

Try pricing motorcycle parts. An LED headlight, with about $30 in parts, costs over $1k, and some go to $2k.

It's fucking totally absurd.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Now that they can make things disposable, they must make them fully recyclable.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top