Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Make sure that you pay $500 for a jacket made in China.

Right, because not buying lesser products is what drove our businesses to other countries.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Only part of the Arcteryx line is made in China.  Overall excellent quality and customer service.  

Arcteryx Manufacturing Statement

Design and Product Integrity

Arc'teryx is a Canadian company, and all of our product design, R&D, and production development is done in-house at our head office in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. We are unusual in the outdoor softgoods industry; we choose to design, perform our own patternmaking and develop all of our products in-house, and we have our own 30,000 square foot state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Vancouver. This allows us to readily explore unorthodox design concepts and gives us complete control over the development of new products. As more North American brands move their design and production overseas, Arc'teryx remains a member of an ever-shrinking group of manufacturers that employs a full complement of vertically-capable in-house designers and product developers.

Arc'teryx is one of only a few major outdoor industry outerwear brands in North America to have its own domestic North American manufacturing facility, and we proudly employ highly skilled workers in our Vancouver, Canada factory. Our factory is only ten minutes from our design studios, which allows us to test proprietary production techniques and fully develop and commercialize our innovative products. Major brands often use outside design contractors, and usually conduct product development through independent manufacturing facilities. We prefer to have control at every stage of our products' design and development.

We also have product assembled in nine other countries around the world by high quality, experienced manufacturers. We have one quality standard and it applies to all of our products regardless of location of manufacture. We do not make substitutions or alterations to our products based on manufacturing location or facility. Arc'teryx refuses to compromise quality or performance for any reason, and all of our products are backed by our product lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Dupe.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Patagonia
Mountain Hardwear
Columbia
Oakley
REI
Sierra Designs
Marmot
Diesel
Bonfire
Campmor
Zoic
LL Bean
Under Armor
BOSS
Arborwear
Berne Apparel
Salomon
Helly Hansen
Calvin Klein
Royal Robbins
Burberry
Levi's
Carhartt
FUBU
Outdoor Research
Polo
Arbor
Hugo Boss
Massif
North Face
Ecko
Otte Gear
Propper
Armani Collezzioni
Wild Things
Potomac
ExOfficio
Merrell
Burton
prAna
Descente
Nau
Dolce and Gabbana
Holden
O'Neill
Woolrich
Nike
Kuhle
Mammut

Highlighted my latest choice in jackets
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
of all the gear i have used/worn/field tested/observed Arc is IMHO the best. I only have a few pieces but I have had them longer than other gear. Its truly buy once cry once. I have a lot of other high quality from MH and such. It all depends on what piece you are looking for. cant go wrong with the bird but there are better deals if you look. also, check their scapegoat line
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't speak intelligently about TAD, but I've worn Arcteryx stuff for years now, and it is phenomenal.  Pricey yes, but top shelf outdoor clothing to be sure.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:10:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dollar/performance ratio of the condor soft shell is incredible.

I agree.

Buy one size larger than you would normally wear. They run small.

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=19321&tabid=548
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#8]

New MSM hoodie going to buy one, a cheaper sub to a TAD in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my TAD pants, but Arcteryx is mo beta.

Their line is more function over fashion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love my TAD pants, but Arcteryx is mo beta.

Their line is more function over fashion.

This is key. Arc gear will keep you warm and comfortable while packing small. I paid for my Atom LT and haven't looked back. I now have added the Beta SL Rain Shell to the mix and I am never worried about encountering a situation I won't be warm and dry at least from the waste up. The best part is I don't overheat in it either. It keeps me a pretty solid temp no matter what.

I also like Mountain Hardware, and Patagonia. Along with other stuff. But if I only had 1 piece of gear it would be the Atom LT. I have never been cold and its the heaviest jacket I currently own.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Chinese manufacturers are able to maintain better quality standards than domestic manufacturers. For something that saves my life, I will choose quality over source country.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Bottom line. Arc'teryx is the best available, as of now.

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Where does one buy the Arcteryx tactical clothing?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where does one buy the Arcteryx tactical clothing?

Through the "LEAF" line. It's for .mil/LE only. Even though I can buy their gear throught the LEAF line, I prefer the non "tactical" stuff, since I don't care for the velcro and crap on my sleeves. Their civi stuff is just as well put together as the leaf line. Awesome gear.

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#15]
overpriced junk all of it, for the most part. if you have the cash tho and wanna be a balla then go for it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Kitanica makes top quality stuff but you pay big for it. Not necessarily the same intended use as the Arcteryx jackets but Kitanica quality is probably better over all.  100% USA made too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Only a couple of the Arc'teryx jackets reach up into the $600+ range, everyone just focuses on those products when cost comes up to overexaggerate things. The majority of their products aren't priced too far off other top brands. I've found most people who complain about the price of the higher end brands usually don't balk at spending 2-3k on a kitted out rifle, yet when it comes to keeping warm in the winter all of a sudden their budget shrinks to Wal-Mart level.

I have two TAD jackets, a stealth hoodie and an older fleece jacket (Not the ranger). They have held up very well for the 6 years i've had them and I often layer them in bad weather and have been using this combo with good results. I've put them through many winters and they've kept me warm time after time. The one complaint I have with them is their obsession with using two-way zippers on the jackets. These are weak and I generally end up blowing out the zippers or getting them misaligned when zipping up the jacket. I've found that after 2-3 years of use they just don't work that well and have worn out. I had a local shop replace the zipper in my Stealth jacket with a metal one-way zipper and it works great and is very easy to use when i'm in a hurry. Hopefully it holds up over time. Arc'teryx seems to like one-way zippers so that's a pretty huge plus in my book but their pocket layouts don't quite work for me as well, so it's a personal preference. I'm contemplating getting a Talus LT in the next year or so as an alternative to the Stealth, but that's mostly due to the increased length when wading through snow and to give me a little more capability in colder weather.

I really like the TAD pocket layouts though. The duckbill pocket on my back is great for storing gloves, a balaclava, or a cap for winter, and is very easy to access. I also like the cut of the jackets though when wearing them with a duty belt and armor. I could stand for the length to be a bit longer like some of the Arc'teryx hardshells, but i'm not sure if the TAD hardshells remedy this as I have no experience with them. I've heard bad things about TAD as a company, but never experienced it for myself. The people have always been nice to me and the customer service has been great. I do find the TAD gear fanboys a bit much to take at times, but the products seem to work well for me.

I will also add that I owned the Force 10 cargo pants for about 10 minutes before boxing them back up and sending them back. Buttons on pockets do not work for me and were an immediate deal-breaker. I've recently switched to Vertx pants and am liking them a lot for when i'm not wearing my Crye pants (which are epic btw).

Overall i'd say find out what pocket layout works the best for your needs and determine how you'll be using the jacket. Will it be used with other gear or equipment? What kinds of weather? Will it be layered with other clothing? etc..
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Patagonia
Mountain Hardwear
Columbia
Oakley
REI
Sierra Designs
Marmot
Diesel
Bonfire
Campmor
Zoic
LL Bean
Under Armor
BOSS
Arborwear
Berne Apparel
Salomon
Helly Hansen
Calvin Klein
Royal Robbins
Burberry
Levi's
Carhartt
FUBU
Outdoor Research
Polo
Arbor
Hugo Boss
Massif
North Face
Ecko
Otte Gear
Propper
Armani Collezzioni
Wild Things
Potomac
ExOfficio
Merrell
Burton
prAna
Descente
Nau
Dolce and Gabbana
Holden
O'Neill
Woolrich
Nike
Kuhle
Mammut

You left out Beyond Clothing They make some very nice, completely custom pieces.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only a couple of the Arc'teryx jackets reach up into the $600+ range, everyone just focuses on those products when cost comes up to overexaggerate things. The majority of their products aren't priced too far off other top brands. I've found most people who complain about the price of the higher end brands usually don't balk at spending 2-3k on a kitted out rifle, yet when it comes to keeping warm in the winter all of a sudden their budget shrinks to Wal-Mart level.

I have two TAD jackets, a stealth hoodie and an older fleece jacket (Not the ranger). They have held up very well for the 6 years i've had them and I often layer them in bad weather and have been using this combo with good results. I've put them through many winters and they've kept me warm time after time. The one complaint I have with them is their obsession with using two-way zippers on the jackets. These are weak and I generally end up blowing out the zippers or getting them misaligned when zipping up the jacket. I've found that after 2-3 years of use they just don't work that well and have worn out. I had a local shop replace the zipper in my Stealth jacket with a metal one-way zipper and it works great and is very easy to use when i'm in a hurry. Hopefully it holds up over time. Arc'teryx seems to like one-way zippers so that's a pretty huge plus in my book but their pocket layouts don't quite work for me as well, so it's a personal preference. I'm contemplating getting a Talus LT in the next year or so as an alternative to the Stealth, but that's mostly due to the increased length when wading through snow and to give me a little more capability in colder weather.

I really like the TAD pocket layouts though. The duckbill pocket on my back is great for storing gloves, a balaclava, or a cap for winter, and is very easy to access. I also like the cut of the jackets though when wearing them with a duty belt and armor. I could stand for the length to be a bit longer like some of the Arc'teryx hardshells, but i'm not sure if the TAD hardshells remedy this as I have no experience with them. I've heard bad things about TAD as a company, but never experienced it for myself. The people have always been nice to me and the customer service has been great. I do find the TAD gear fanboys a bit much to take at times, but the products seem to work well for me.

I will also add that I owned the Force 10 cargo pants for about 10 minutes before boxing them back up and sending them back. Buttons on pockets do not work for me and were an immediate deal-breaker. I've recently switched to Vertx pants and am liking them a lot for when i'm not wearing my Crye pants (which are epic btw).

Overall i'd say find out what pocket layout works the best for your needs and determine how you'll be using the jacket. Will it be used with other gear or equipment? What kinds of weather? Will it be layered with other clothing? etc..

can't argue with a review that long
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
overpriced junk all of it, for the most part. if you have the cash tho and wanna be a balla then go for it.  

Fine then...We all want to dress like you.  Where do we buy all your cool clothes?......JCPenney....Sears...Kmart......?????

Don't leave us hanging tier one, awesome guy.  We need you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only part of the Arcteryx line is made in China.  Overall excellent quality and customer service.  

Arcteryx Manufacturing Statement

Design and Product Integrity

Arc'teryx is a Canadian company, and all of our product design, R&D, and production development is done in-house at our head office in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. We are unusual in the outdoor softgoods industry; we choose to design, perform our own patternmaking and develop all of our products in-house, and we have our own 30,000 square foot state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Vancouver. This allows us to readily explore unorthodox design concepts and gives us complete control over the development of new products. As more North American brands move their design and production overseas, Arc'teryx remains a member of an ever-shrinking group of manufacturers that employs a full complement of vertically-capable in-house designers and product developers.

Arc'teryx is one of only a few major outdoor industry outerwear brands in North America to have its own domestic North American manufacturing facility, and we proudly employ highly skilled workers in our Vancouver, Canada factory. Our factory is only ten minutes from our design studios, which allows us to test proprietary production techniques and fully develop and commercialize our innovative products. Major brands often use outside design contractors, and usually conduct product development through independent manufacturing facilities. We prefer to have control at every stage of our products' design and development.

We also have product assembled in nine other countries around the world by high quality, experienced manufacturers. We have one quality standard and it applies to all of our products regardless of location of manufacture. We do not make substitutions or alterations to our products based on manufacturing location or facility. Arc'teryx refuses to compromise quality or performance for any reason, and all of our products are backed by our product lifetime warranty.

Wasn't talking about Arcteryx. More so TAD.

Does Arcteryx donate to GreenPeace?  Is it for warrior poets?

At the end of the day, I just like giving people shit over that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#22]
My TAD Ranger Hoodie in Coyote arrived yesterday.

American made and really freaking nice.

I vote for TAD.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Look into Outdoor Research. Their stuff rawks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Kitanica makes top quality stuff but you pay big for it. Not necessarily the same intended use as the Arcteryx jackets but Kitanica quality is probably better over all.  100% USA made too.

Not waterproof.  It's a must for a shell...unless you live in an arid environment.  I like Kitanica, but it screams "tactical/tacticool".

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top