Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
My dad was 105MM howitzers in the USMC during WW2. He came back with hearing problems. The VA never helped him.
TF-30s and J52s screwed with mine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I shot M109 155mm guns.  I have significant hearing loss overall, tinnitus, and I can't hear some high frequencies at all.  I wore the ear plugs I was issued, most of the time.  It was prior to the current class action time frame.

ETA:  I was guard.  All peace time, no deployments.  No VA help for me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Floor manager at the gun store did several years in the military, operating artillery. He is deaf in one ear, partially deaf in the other.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a co-worker who was a C-130 loadmaster. How he ever did Telco work I'll never know.
Of course, he was a Central Office worker. The trouble is leaving here just fine. Those who know will know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I somehow managed to make it through near 4 years of active duty Infantry without hearing loss.  But I was fanatical about wearing ear plugs.  Armor vehicles are terrible for your ears - they are very loud inside, and most guys didn't wear plus while riding in them.

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never been close to arty, but have spent too much time near flight lines, loud clubs, and concerts.
Not to mention shooting…

Buddy of mine hooked my oldest daughter up with a 30-06 that had a nice brake on it. She was deadly with it, flat shooting, easy to follow up…

Dumbass Dad took his ear pro off about a foot in front of the shooting table and three to four feet to the side.

I thought they were done shooting and I was going to call the wife unit about how proud I was…

My daughter pops off two quick shots, and I swear I couldn’t hear anything for like twelve hours.

Totally my fault. But now my tinnitus is about as loud as a floor fan.

BYW, that buddy, who’s 12 years younger than me, he already has hearing aids. Chalk part of that up to being a welder. (Welders run grinders, etc…, a lot).
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember hearing the phrase "artillery ears" being mentioned right after I entered the service in 1981. I've been losing my hearing slowly for a while now. But it has nothing to do with FA. Probably just a combination of the loud headphones (music) from my youth and getting older.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've done the old "I'll plug the one ear closest to gunfire" before and that's not anywhere near artillery.

Any war footage from GWOT they're not exactly doubling up on ear pro, and even then....

I have to assume no one who does artillery can hear anything.
View Quote

All the ex-arty guys I've known did fine.   As long as their hearing aids were turned on.  

I say that to be funny.... but I'm 100% serious.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 2:51:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, it’s frustrating
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#11]
wut?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You never were a gunner on an M551 Sheridan then!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oDsFnGLC0tk/maxresdefault.jpg

(It's actually very quiet inside the turret when the main gun goes off, but outside it's brutal )

You never were a gunner on an M551 Sheridan then!

I count myself lucky
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]
My son spent 4 years in Marine artillery, I asked him about this and he said, "Huh".
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#14]
infantry and AF jet engines took care of mine
cant imagine what them booms would do.  pretty much a guarantee 10%
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I was a mortarforker. I have gotten use to the ringing in my ears.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top