Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2019 2:03:47 PM EDT
Currently working on a project that involves a new 3600 sq. ft. house.

Exterior basement access (or lack thereof) is an issue.

Is a Bilco style door typically considered appropriate at this price point?

I understand that this might come across as a snotty question.  It’s not intended to.  I think the reality is that house components change as price point changes.

Just not 100% sure about this one.

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
How much dirt would need to move for a walk out to be possible with the landscaping?

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If the wife sleeps with you (the contractor) they'll get a discount.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Username is appropriate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
no, not acceptable, price point doesn't matter

those are really only ok for crawl spaces and root cellar's

IMO

why exactly does the basement need an exterior entrance?  Either it's a walk out or nada most everything i've ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If the access is to a utility room or area you only access occasionally I think it's OK, but if you are making a second living space with its own entryway that would be kind of underwhelming
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Higher end homes in my area will often feature a Bilco door inside the back of the garage.
You can only see it if you look inside the garage.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much dirt would need to move for a walk out to be possible with the landscaping?

Kharn
View Quote
Impossibility.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#9]
To a point, I'm in the area, $1-3mil homes all day long.  Code requirement for egress, so when grade is not an option for walk out, you can either use bilco's or the "unusable" window well exit doors.  But again, you can actually use the bilco's.

100% acceptable.

Up the ante to a full stairwell walk out at the increased price point as well as footprint is what you really want in a custom higher end home (again, where graded walk out is not an option).
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
You can do something like this.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't imagine anyone wanting that if they're actually going to access on a regular basis... particularly the female persuasion..
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Execution is critical:

VS

Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#15]
This.  This is the way it should be handled OP
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Those full-blown open designs look good on any home, but a lot of people don’t realize that they fill up with snow and all kinds of bullshit and require frequent cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s what I would go with, I just figured that if he was looking at bilco’s that he wanted the entrance covered.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can't imagine anyone wanting that if they're actually going to access on a regular basis... particularly the female persuasion..
View Quote
This would just be for projects (moving dimensional lumber into the basement, for example) and seasonal stuff (bikes up/down, deck furniture up/down).
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#19]
A big plus to the bilco door is the extra layer of security, someone has to first break the bilco door to access the basement entryway. Especially if you keep shop or yard tools down there which a thief may want to steal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Can't recall the last time (if ever) I saw Bilcos on new construction.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those full-blown open designs look good on any home, but a lot of people don’t realize that they fill up with snow and all kinds of bullshit and require frequent cleaning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sure, but most people have landscapers to clear them out.  And in the winter, unless water intrusion is a concern from melting snow, it's usually not an issue anyway.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Saw these a lot at my BIL’s in Ashburn VA
$6-800k
View All Quotes
$600-800k home around here gets you bilco's at best.  If OP is asking about his OWN house, then yes, again, bilco's are 100% acceptable and the norm.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
This plus if that drain at the bottom ever backs up or gets blocked the damage potential goes up.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
no, not acceptable, price point doesn't matter

those are really only ok for crawl spaces and root cellar's

IMO

why exactly does the basement need an exterior entrance?  Either it's a walk out or nada most everything i've ever seen.
View Quote
At least up here we have full basements. They almost all have bilco doors or regular entry doors with stairs. It really depends on how the house was constructed.

Basements usually contain washer, dryer , furnace, hot water heater, HVAC items. chest freezers and things of that nature. A full basement needs an exterior entrance period.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I didn't know what a Bilco style door was.
View Quote
Welcome to earth.  Lol j/k, thanks for jumping in on the thread.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a basement?
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Today I learned what a Bilco door was :)

never heard of them before and it's something we seldom see in our area, if so mostly in the city on older(pre 1960s) homes.

For the most part we have daylight basements.

I do like the idea of a true basement but if it were me id want a ramp or something for exterior access
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I also learned in this thread what a bilco door was. We always called it “the basement hatchway” growing up. But every house has a basement around here, most are walk out or have some sort of hatch/bilco set up.

I agree about the open stairs filling with snow and leaves and debris and water intrusion. It really is about execution, I saw a few things posted in this thread that looked pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn’t know that was the name of the thing
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
I’d find the “more typical” one to be more stupid. Between snow and beasties taking shelter, I’d pass. We have a similar one where I work. Skunks seem to like it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
You aren't the only one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What's a basement?
View Quote
Usually the best part of a house
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I start construction next year and I’m going with something similar, though wider and flush.

Under the stairs in the basement, there will be storage shelves, and in the main floor, the stairs up to the 2nd floor will be over it, giving full headroom for the basement entrance.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I didn't know that was the name of the thing
View Quote
Same always just called um cellar doors
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#39]
What is this?
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What is this?
View All Quotes
It's the first thing I thought of when I saw "Bilco"
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What is this?
View All Quotes
Sergeant Bilko. Welcome to Earth.

I had to look up Bilco doors as well. That’s what growing up in slab built houses will do to you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is way more typical.
View Quote
such a setup is just a trap for leaves and debris.  you have to constantly keep the drain clear.

in the fall, during a hurricane or nor'easter, it will fill with leaves which will block water egress.  the accumulating standing water will be forced under the doors.
in the winter, that floor drain accumulate snow and will freeze over.  the next snow+rain combo will force water under the doors.

pro-tip:
right after you install such a setup you should get the concrete saw out, open up the basement entry door, and make a french drain right inside the door.

ask me how i know all this.  ps:  i have a 5" dia drain in mine, versus that puny 3" dia shown in the picture.  that setup is going to have problems.

ar-jedi

FML, that setup is even worse now that i look at the picture.

-- downspout discharges directly onto grade?  hello hydrostatic pressure on the left side wall.  moreover, it's deep enough to always have some latent water intrusion pressure all the way around.
-- unless that setup has been rubber-waterproofed in every direction, it will be a mold and mildew and algae fiasco in short order.  such setups do not get a lot of direct sunlight, and sunlight is the best cure-all for mold and mildew and algae etc.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
such a setup is just a trap for leaves and debris.  you have to constantly keep the drain clear.

in the fall, during a hurricane or nor'easter, it will fill with leaves which will block water egress.  the accumulating standing water will be forced under the doors.
in the winter, that floor drain accumulate snow and will freeze over.  the next snow+rain combo will force water under the doors.

pro-tip:
right after you install such a setup you should get the concrete saw out, open up the basement entry door, and make a french drain right inside the door.

ask me how i know all this.  ps:  i have a 5" dia drain in mine, versus that puny 3" dia shown in the picture.  that setup is going to have problems.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:

pro-tip:

ar-jedi
LOL

OP asked a question, I answered as to what is the NORM for a house at a certain price point.  You don't have to like it.  Do you not have landscapers or a snow removal company?  They should be clearing that.  And a properly designed drainage system ain't going to have that problem.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OP asked a question, I answered as to what is the NORM for a house at a certain price point.  You don't have to like it.  Do you not have landscapers or a snow removal company?  They should be clearing that.  And a properly designed drainage system ain't going to have that problem.
View Quote
you don't have such a setup, i can already tell.
ps
landscapers come during a nor'easter or a hurricane?
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ps
I don't have a setup, but as a contractor, I have worked on a home or two.

Your setup wasn't done right and I can tell you for a fact that I have a LOT of customers who have zero problems with water intrusion in similar setups even without clearing out.  As for landscapers coming during noreasters, well, immediately after and during for the snow removal crew is pretty normal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Your setup wasn't done right and I can tell you for a fact that I have a LOT of customers who have zero problems with water intrusion in similar setups even without clearing out.  As for landscapers coming during noreasters, well, immediately after and during for the snow removal crew is pretty normal.
View Quote
ok, so you haven't lived with it.

the next jobs you do like that, leave your business card taped to the inside of the door, with a note that says, "if water comes under this door, call this number".

you need at least 5 times the drain area.  i'm telling you, you need at least 5 times the drain area.
i live in the same northeast region as you do -- and you need at least 5 times the drain area.

in the fall, that setup is a leaf magnet -- and if the homeowner doesn't clear it prior to every rainfall, the drain will be blocked.

this is borne from 10 years of experience.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Da fuk is a bilco style door?

Okay, I googled it and found out it's a coffin-type door to something called a basement. Which we don't have in Texas.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

you need at least 5 times the drain area.  i'm telling you, you need at least 5 times the drain area.
i live in the same northeast region as you do -- and you need at least 5 times the drain area.
View Quote
Would it be possible to grade the slab away from the door frame, with a grate drain the width of the slab below the bottom stair?
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#49]
In this thread, we learn that there are vast differences between "common practices" in residential construction across these United States...

You'd be amazed at how much difference a "minor climate difference" can make, in terms of what works and what doesn't... People try to apply things when they move to an area with which they're unfamiliar, like building a Cape Cod saltbox in a mountain area with heavy snow. Then, they wonder why the hell they've got moisture problems in their walls, because they don't have any eaves or gables...
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

the next jobs you do like that, leave your business card taped to the inside of the door, with a note that says, "if water comes under this door, call this number".

in the fall, that setup is a leaf magnet -- and if the homeowner doesn't clear it prior to every rainfall, the drain will be blocked.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi
So your drainage was done improperly and you are lacking on property maintenance.  I get it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top