User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
team gemini crusader

only 50 made, even less made with the desert crusader finish.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Busse

Over rated... Over priced... Safe queens.
View Quote
This.

Busse knives have become like cars with spinners and fancy paint jobs...impractical, overbuilt, overpriced, and with more bling than functionality.

They make nothing that can't be purchased elsewhere in a more practical knife.

Half Face Blades are about as high end as is still practical and their designs are actually workable outside your living room.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a CG Game Warden, a CG Active Duty that I stripped and satin-ed, and a War Dog... and a $250 mystery bag on the way.

I had an ESEE 3 and while i was a cool little knife, it didn't compare favorably against my GW. And that's to be expected for the price difference. 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Once it's gone it's going to be hard to get back.

I also have and love bark river, I think they do a little bit better job convexing that edge. When I hunted I could dress out several large dirty animals with only a few swipes on a strop.

Always shaving sharp. I think the trick is to not let the get dull in the first place which is crazy easy.

I keep saying I'm going to get a belt sander for my many convex edged knives axes and hatchets but I can't decide between the harbour freight one and the appropriate belts or the ones dedicated for knives.

I haven't had so much trouble keeping them sharp that I've felt the need to make the decision yet I guess. Stropping is pretty easy and a few bars of compound last forever. 
View Quote
I'm a big fan of stropping. I have my big one at home and one for the field.

I use diamond paste
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple and I dont think they are worth the money. The combat grade is a unfinished knife that is line-x.  The custom grade is hit or miss on finish quality. Neither of mine were sharp and I had to get the edges re-done to be able to cut anything.
There are some cool designs and they do a great heat treat.  Thick and heavy knife that you can beat on.  But poor finish unless you want to pay double.

My Chris Reeves knives, for about the same price, are much better finished and sharper out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]
My take is if you factor in the whole pride of ownership and for $500 isn't a big deal for a knife you're going to use great.
  I make knives as a hobby and what I've learned is everyone has a gimmick.
Infi is it good Steel but there are plenty others that I think are better
CpM3v and CPM-M4 are two that I like personally .
I'm not going to say they're not worth it but that kind of money opens you up to some nice custom knives.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know an axe works better and a chainsaw even more betterer?
View Quote
I can cut through a log with one of my bigger Busse's faster than I could with an axe.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
no safe queens here

http://i.imgur.com/gdtaaBo.jpg?1
View Quote
That's a mighty clean cut you made through that tree.  Now I see why they cost so much.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really like them and want one, but I just can't seem to justify spending $400 or more on a knife. This is odd, too, because I have no trouble dropping 1.5-2k on 1911s. I strongly suspect that I will eventually break down and buy one, and hang it off of my battle belt or something.

What I wonder is how their Swamp Rat line compares to the actual Busse knives, and what difference in quality actually exists. From what I understand, SR101 is great steel.
View Quote
The swamprat stuff I have is built to the same quality as Busse combat builds blades.  Their steel is Sr-101, and it's a damn good steel and their HT is superb.

With swamprat, their designs aren't as varied, they only come in one flavor of look (coated only, no satin, etc).  

I've got an example from busse, swamprat and scrapyard.  

My only complaint is that if you don't want a thick knife, you won't find much to your liking at busse.  They make thicker blades, that you can beat on.  They also tend to hold their value REALLY well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, good stuff but fanboyism has driven their prices to crazy town. It's been a while but I remember another blade maker saying their steel is whatever is used on dozer blades, he wasn't knocking them just saying it's not as special as their hype makes it out to be. They do a good job with heat treat to get the most out of it though.
View Quote
I don't really care how "special" it is.  I honestly don't.  I care how it performs.  And from my use, their steels hold an edge like crazy.  

I've chopped hardened juniper tree limbs with my rodent 6, across the grain, and shaved paper after.  1095 would be dull, rolled and chipped.  

If it's worth it to you?  that's a question you have to ask yourself.  But the knives themselves are of high quality for working blades.  

And even with their odd business model (which I too, think is difficult to deal with), their knives aren't out of the stratosphere in price.  Look around at custom knives made out of really good steels (cpm3v is one).  $350-500 isn't unusual for those made by well known knife makers.  

And how much are Randalls?  Sure, they are prettier.  But will they stand up to the same use as a busse?  I wouldn't think so due to a lot of factors.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A $35 hatchet would do that better and weigh less.
View Quote
Yep.  It would do that one task better.  But it won't do knife tasks well, at all.  And you will be sharpening it more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Commercial 1095 knives offer 90% of the performance of Busse knives. Is that 10% worth 3-400% price increase? In the end, the gross majority of Busse knives are safequeens because they are too expensive to allow most mentally to beat the shit out of them. I know because I collect various knives and have many users and some safequeens.
View Quote
I have sued some but have never owned any Busse knives. 1095 is nowhere near the performance of infi. It's laughable that you even say they are close.

I make knives and my favorite steel is cpm3v and it makes 1095 seem like plastic. I still make a lot of 1095 and 1084 because not everyone understands nor wants to pay for premium steels.

Infi reminds me a lot of cpm3v.

I think the price of Busse knives have been inflated a little due to their business model but they are some of the best heavy duty use knives around and infi is one of the best performing steels around for what these knives are designed for.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can cut through a log with one of my bigger Busse's faster than I could with an axe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know an axe works better and a chainsaw even more betterer?
Your axe must really suck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's a mighty clean cut you made through that tree.  Now I see why they cost so much.
View Quote

i originally started that tree with the ASH2 knife pictured.

got bored about 15 minutes into it and got out the chainsaw lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Worth it for what? For who?

If you have have spare money and like cool knives, and want to pound it through car doors and asphalt, they are worth it.

If you are living paycheck to paycheck and want to clean a bunch of walleye, they aren't worth it.

Generally, they are heavy and thick, sharpened pry bar type knives. For using a knife to cut with...food, rope, whittling...there are many thinner knives with more delicate edge profiles than are much more pleasurable to use.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have sued some but have never owned any Busse knives. 1095 is nowhere near the performance of infi. It's laughable that you even say they are close.

I make knives and my favorite steel is cpm3v and it makes 1095 seem like plastic. I still make a lot of 1095 and 1084 because not everyone understands nor wants to pay for premium steels.

Infi reminds me a lot of cpm3v.

I think the price of Busse knives have been inflated a little due to their business model but they are some of the best heavy duty use knives around and infi is one of the best performing steels around for what these knives are designed for.
View Quote
This guy nails it.

I hit a rock (small boulder) while splitting firewood with my Infi Ratmandu whilst camping.

To be honest I was lodging the knife into the wood then beating it apart against the rock so the edge hit the rock a couple times. Not the best way to do it but it was amusing.

I got a rolled spot on the edge for my efforts. Stropped it out and back to work. Infi will take a beating.

CPM 3v and CPM M4 are my favorite steels as well. I pay a lot for them but it's worth it to me.

I'm about to take a jump into MAxamet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or you've never used a chopping oriented knife.  For the size and versatility of a big knife, an axe is not always the best choice.  

I have a 10" kukhri that will out-chop a hatchet of similar size and weight......and I can perform many more tasks with it than I can with the hatchet.

What tool you use for a job depends on your preferences, what substrate you are cutting, and the particular tasks you are performing.  

A felling axe will most assuredly chop better than a big knife.....physics.  But with a similar size, big blades do have advantages over hatchets/small axes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mine keeps my sock drawer firmly weighted down
View Quote
This thread just reminded me that I have a unused Scrapyard knife somewhere in my house.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I really like mine.  
And now I have twins...so a bunch of them will go up for sale soon.  Hopefully they held their value.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
No. The Busse is a three pound razor blade that does not get dull and takes a serious bite every time it strikes. I can swing the NMFBM more times in 60 seconds than I can an axe.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

Busse knives have become like cars with spinners and fancy paint jobs...impractical, overbuilt, overpriced, and with more bling than functionality.

Half Face Blades are about as high end as is still practical and their designs are actually workable outside your living room.  
View Quote
I just went to their website.... and you somehow think Busse is overpriced? SMH.   $700 for an axe?  $500 for a 5" blade?

I might get one because i like that they're made out of 3V, but still. I'm not sure how Busse gets all those negatives you applied and Half Face is a-okay.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Psh ya'll are crazy, my Mora was only 11 bucks and it cuts just as well as any Busse!!!

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I would like one of their AK47's but I don't think they make them anymore and the prices are way high. Seems like really good stuff from all I've seen. With that said, I primarily use Mora and ESEE with never a problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Are they forged for stock removal?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#28]
To me, it all depends on the intended use.

We tend to go in one of two directions on this site, we all love and worship a manufacturer(Colt, BCM, Spikes) that makes a good, quality thing that is barely, if any, different from all the other manufacturers. Or, we berate and hate a manufacturer that makes a good, quality thing that is barely, if any, different from other manufacturers.

I will own a busse knife (several of them) in a few weeks. I can say, without a doubt, that every busse I have ever used, seen, touched, smelled, or looked at, was an exceptionally well crafted tool, designed to slice through jihadists by day, and then split the buttstocks on their AK's to use for firewood. And afterwards, still hold an edge sharp enough to slice bacon strips to grill over the fire.

Can you get an equally or almost as good knife for less? Sure. But why buy Guntec when you can get Geissele? Speaking of which, aren't they due out with some knives soon? Abraham and Moses I believe is the venture name for Geisseles knife company.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Their best users are their knives with Res-C handles.  These are mainly in the Scrapyard line but they do runs of INFI under the Busse name.

I love the Res-C because it absorbs impact and is incredibly tough.  Same stuff that they make skate board wheels from.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This guy nails it.

I hit a rock (small boulder) while splitting firewood with my Infi Ratmandu whilst camping.

To be honest I was lodging the knife into the wood then beating it apart against the rock so the edge hit the rock a couple times. Not the best way to do it but it was amusing.

I got a rolled spot on the edge for my efforts. Stropped it out and back to work. Infi will take a beating.

CPM 3v and CPM M4 are my favorite steels as well. I pay a lot for them but it's worth it to me.

I'm about to take a jump into MAxamet.
View Quote
I'll have a Busse one of these days.

I haven't heard of MAxamet. Off to google....
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Are they forged for stock removal?
View Quote
Looking on their site, all I can find is in the description of the Ratweiler they say it's "cut" from INFI steel.  I'm guessing these are stock removal then, and not actually forged.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll have a Busse one of these days.

I haven't heard of MAxamet. Off to google....
View Quote
10 percent tungsten.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A $35 hatchet would do that better and weigh less.
View Quote
WTF are you talking about. Do you see lumber competitions? They use Busse exclusively to cut through logs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about. Do you see lumber competitions? They use Busse exclusively to cut through logs.
View Quote
It would be boring otherwise
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means!

Chainsaw racing at its best
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Once it's gone it's going to be hard to get back.

I also have and love bark river, I think they do a little bit better job convexing that edge. When I hunted I could dress out several large dirty animals with only a few swipes on a strop.

Always shaving sharp. I think the trick is to not let the get dull in the first place which is crazy easy.

I keep saying I'm going to get a belt sander for my many convex edged knives axes and hatchets but I can't decide between the harbour freight one and the appropriate belts or the ones dedicated for knives.

I haven't had so much trouble keeping them sharp that I've felt the need to make the decision yet I guess. Stropping is pretty easy and a few bars of compound last forever. 
View Quote
I was thinking of going cheap and just using rubbing compound on a belt for stropping. You think it will be too gritty? I've been able to keep my Bark and my Blackjack knives pretty sharp with just 2k grit paper and a belt but was wondering if a little compound would be quicker.
And I've wanted to buy a Busse LBTG for the longest time, but the last time I called a lady I spoke to was pretty fucking rude...and I don't want to buy secondary, so...we'll see if I can hold out, lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have one of the highly sought after factory polished versions. It would be one of the last things I ever sold. My custom shop SFNO would be there with it.
View Quote
That's exactly what I want, the competition finish on a TGLB with black G10, or micarta.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Their best users are their knives with Res-C handles.  These are mainly in the Scrapyard line but they do runs of INFI under the Busse name.

I love the Res-C because it absorbs impact and is incredibly tough.  Same stuff that they make skate board wheels from.
View Quote
I love my bark rivers but the swamp rats are significantly lighter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was thinking of going cheap and just using rubbing compound on a belt for stropping. You think it will be too gritty? I've been able to keep my Bark and my Blackjack knives pretty sharp with just 2k grit paper and a belt but was wondering if a little compound would be quicker.
And I've wanted to buy a Busse LBTG for the longest time, but the last time I called a lady I spoke to was pretty fucking rude...and I don't want to buy secondary, so...we'll see if I can hold out, lol.
View Quote
 I've used very fine grit paper but strop and compound really refines the edge. 

I have 4 different bars of compound, it's not expensive and will last forever. The grades are not consistent. Green can be fine in one brand and course in another. When it's said and done it's close enough. I'll bet rubbing compound would be fine. It it doesn't work there's always the paper 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I use old hickory butcher knives. Steel is steel
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Looks like they finally made the Ratweiler in INFI, but I'm not sure if it's worth $~375 shipped.

Kind of regret not picking up a LGBT blade from them when they were available.
View Quote

I picked up a TGLB competition finish....no longer made because apparently too many idiots complained and Jerry just said no more CF.... and it's fucking badass!!! If I could have only one knife...that'd be it, no question!

Also have a double cut boss-jack and a Scrapyard Regulator.  

WELL worth the money for what they are and what is standing behind them.   At the same time, they aren't budget knives.  And their sales/marketing methods are pretty much as arrogant as they come.  

EDIT:  I keep hoping Daryl finds his but it doesn't look good...

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can put me into the Res-C love club... My WarDog has my favorite handle of any knife I've used. I'd like to get an Anorexic B4 to compliment my thicker knives. I also had a Scrapyard 311 that was like a Res-C Game Warden. Too bad it was stolen, I'll replace it eventually since they're really affordable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just went to their website.... and you somehow think Busse is overpriced? SMH.   $700 for an axe?  $500 for a 5" blade?

I might get one because i like that they're made out of 3V, but still. I'm not sure how Busse gets all those negatives you applied and Half Face is a-okay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Half Face has some pretty decent Mil/LEO pricing.

There are some designs (the axe for example) that have no real purpose.

Reality...I love knives...but the only knife I "need" is a small swiss army knife.  It opens mail.  I have a drawer full of knives from all pedigrees...randals, Japanese tantos (as in from Japanese blade smiths), Chris Reeve, and similar.

They all sit in the drawer.  Even when I was in Iraq, the fixed blade knife got ditched quickly as my gear got stupid heavy with radios, batteries, ammo, pyro, and water.  

I carried a small folding knife from wal mart...

A much wiser man that me passed along some wisdow when we were waaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere in West VA doing land nav on a day so hot, your ears would ring...the size of the knife is inversly proportional to the experience of the man carrying it.  

His only knife was a simple palm sized swiss army knife with a few different blades...no corkscrew or similar.  I went out and bought a basic swiss army knife.  I've carried it ever since.  

YMMV
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top