Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I still worry about the Marine Corps supposedly getting rid of their tanks.

I was just a non rate 0311...but still.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An ATGM can’t replace a tank.
View Quote

Yes they can.
Put in had to dig up relics to replace what javelins knocked out...
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Planners are using the proper buzz words so old think about combined arms is no longer of value
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lol. Some armies seem to be overly reliant on tanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Planners are using the proper buzz words so old think about combined arms is no longer of value
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would think an offensive expeditionary force would want armor. I can't wrap my mind around it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes they can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they can.

A tank can suppress without being suppressed. An ATGM team is vulnerable to suppression in a more significant way.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You would think an offensive expeditionary force would want armor. I can't wrap my mind around it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the endstate was already decided and we worked backwards to justify that conclusion
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was about to say, is anyone over there using western APS? or just Russian stuff
View Quote

Just russian stuff, but honestly its not like there wont be CCM vs western systems if they turn out to be effective.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can see his point with regards to Ukraine. I think we're in a different position than a lot of other countries though. Nothing wrong with having a bunch of Carl Gustaf though.
View Quote

I mean CG's were designed to kill tanks/bunkers/whatever they have ton of warhead choices.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think the endstate was already decided and we worked backwards to justify that conclusion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my conclusion.

Task Force Smith here we come.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes they can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they can.

Let me know when an ATGM brings protected, cross-country mobile firepower with better-than-eyeball sensors and comms to the party.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#12]
just sneak up an toss a grenade down the main gun barrel... :)
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Has the US ever fielded an AT hand grenade? Apparently no.

https://i.ibb.co/YPFLjj6/AE3-C355-A-0-A35-4-CDE-BCD0-8-AB18-E6-F528-E.webp
https://i.ibb.co/47VHyBX/3652-A326-F41-F-411-E-82-CA-FF0-D6-D775567.webp

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_grenade
In the late 1970s, the U.S. Army was worried about the lack of emergency anti-tank weapons for issue to its rear area units, to counter isolated enemy armored vehicles infiltrating or being air dropped. When the US Army asked for ideas, engineers at U.S. Army laboratories suggested the reverse-engineered and additional safety improvements of the East German AZ-58-K-100 HEAT anti-tank grenade that had been clandestinely obtained. This concept was called "HAG" for "High-explosive Antiarmor Grenade". While the civilian engineers working for the US Army thought it was a great idea, it was rejected out of hand by almost all senior US Army officers with field experience, who thought it would be more dangerous to the troops who used them than the enemy. The idea was quietly shelved by 1985.[22] This decision left many rear-area U.S. units with no heavier "anti-tank weapon" than the M2 heavy machine gun.
View Quote

interesting article.... didn't the rear area people have LAW's for such an occasion back in the day?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

interesting article.... didn't the rear area people have LAW's for such an occasion back in the day?
View Quote

I wouldn't want a LAW when T-72s and better are hunting my ass...we had AT-4s back in the day, and I know I'd much rather have a dedicated ATGM team around even then...
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trick to get a more modern, smaller lighter vehicle imo. M1 is rather big and heavy for amphibious operations.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

AT mines, attack helos, your own tanks, etc.
Relying on just one system leaves you open to a tech breakthrough rendering you obsolete (e.g., relying only on tanks)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As opposed to what?  Letting tanks run over you?

AT mines, attack helos, your own tanks, etc.
Relying on just one system leaves you open to a tech breakthrough rendering you obsolete (e.g., relying only on tanks)

Weird.  I guess we don’t have any of those.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wouldn't want a LAW when T-72s and better are hunting my ass...we had AT-4s back in the day, and I know I'd much rather have a dedicated ATGM team around even then...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ahh... I wasn't strictly being specific about the weapon, but looks pretty handy for guys behind the line to have around.

now that you mention that I recall a friend of a buddy of mine back in the 90's who was in GW1... he was some kinda truck driver hauling supplies, I remember him saying he traded some of his shit for a rocket launcher he could keep in the cab just in case... also said they had to collect a buncha enemy stiffs, and how much that sucked..
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Until the Russian tank population is depleted, no.

Once that happens, tanks will be nothing more than occupation machines.

Air power, drones, missiles, etc., that is where its at.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.army-technology.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/09/1-Image-1-21.jpg
ahh... I wasn't strictly being specific about the weapon, but looks pretty handy for guys behind the line to have around.

now that you mention that I recall a friend of a buddy of mine back in the 90's who was in GW1... he was some kinda truck driver hauling supplies, I remember him saying he traded some of his shit for a rocket launcher he could keep in the cab just in case... also said they had to collect a buncha enemy stiffs, and how much that sucked..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.army-technology.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/09/1-Image-1-21.jpg

LOL I was in GW1...there was no "trading" for rocket launchers...not before we went through the breach anyway!
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI.
When you're faced with a huge fucking nail, a portable hammer that can be carried by a man is pretty damn nice to have.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LoL, someone asked “as opposed to what?” and I listed some alternatives.

There *are* other ways to stop tanks.
Sure, they have drawbacks and some are hideously expensive.  That wasn’t the question being asked in that post.
View Quote

The video, IMHO, is fucking stupid.

His pointe are asinine.

You know why the Javelin and N-Law and the Stugna are being so celebrated right now?  Because they have a high pkill against armored vehicles…including moving ones…including ones that have active defense systems.

You know why the RPG and similar systems are maligned?  One, because they simply aren’t that effective.  During the Russian invasion of Grozny it took around 17 RPG hits (usually shooting from a building down onto the tank) per kill against T-72s.  Two, it’s not a long range weapon.  It’s a close range weapon, one with a rather large launch signature that exposes the operator to return fire from the target or his buddies and so RPG operators tend to have a short operational life expectancy.  Same problem with the LAW and the Carl Gustav.  Fundamentally, they get more use against infantry strong points than they do tanks…because they can actually be useful in those roles.  

A Javelin actually gives infantry a leg portable stand-off against tanks.  None of the other listed tank counters do that.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Tanks are a PITA without air support.

Using some modern anti tank weapons the tank is a fire pit you can drive then light it up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
OP is part of Putin's PR team
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Portable high powered laser systems mounted on tanks will make ATGM’s weaker.
View Quote

That scenario is not exactly just around the corner.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL I was in GW1...there was no "trading" for rocket launchers...not before we went through the breach anyway!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

could be... I don't recall him coming off as mouthing off, more kinda serious... I got the impression it was sorta scary, somewhat shitty experience and he was glad to come out relatively unscathed..
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

could be... I don't recall him coming off as mouthing off, more kinda serious... I got the impression it was sorta scary, somewhat shitty experience and he was glad to come out relatively unscathed..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds about right. It was short and intense, and I was happy to be alive and unscathed when it was over.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I would be investing time, energy, and tech into anti drone capability from the looks of it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Until the Russian tank population is depleted, no.

Once that happens, tanks will be nothing more than occupation machines.

Air power, drones, missiles, etc., that is where its at.
View Quote

This is incorrect.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#29]
How ‘bout sticky bombs OP?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How ‘bout sticky bombs OP?
View Quote

What page is that in the manual?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Russians are getting rid of their tanks too.  They just outsourced the work to the Ukrainians.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Russians are getting rid of their tanks too.  They just outsourced the work to the Ukrainians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm very ok with this.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top