Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/3/2013 1:14:16 PM EDT
I got foiled again today.  I was all hungry for some Pizza Hut lunch buffet so I decided to make the drive to one of the last ones fairly close-by only to reach an abandoned restaurant and find out they were closed for business.   They've pulled this on me three times now at different locations.

Now I have to drive 30 minutes from work to get to the next closest Pizza Hut if I want to enjoy their lunch buffet.   Papa John must be putting the hurting on them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Domino's is putting the hurt on them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I miss Shakey's.   1890's old timey.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I havent noticed since I havent looked for one in 10 years.......

Dominos is MOAR better anyways, as far as fast pizza goes......

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

After having a Domino's recently, I can't imagine how. There's one Pizza Hut in my AO, but they are delivery/carryout only. Can't remember the last time I saw a PH restaurant.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I havent noticed since I havent looked for one in 10 years.......

Dominos is MOAR better anyways, as far as fast pizza goes......

View Quote

They are disappearing into the taco bells around here.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The delivery places are all over around here but all of the sit down and eat Pizza Huts went the way of the DoDo bird a long time ago
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sorry to say it.  Good.

We have two decent places in a 50 mile radius.  One is a south side of Chicago greasy pizza, out of a family owned and ran for 50 years place, the other is a lady who does true deep dish, in real brick ovens, she got the recipe for her dough from an old Italian guy who sold her the ovens.

Since Pizza Hut went away, Domino's closed and Little Cesar's is almost dead, she opened a second location, and both places are doing well, as well as offering lunch specials for about the same price, and it's leaps and bounds better than the chain places.

Capitalism works sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope but their pizza sucks compared to Dominos and Papa Johns.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hear that...probably THE best pizza style buffest in the history of man.  To answer OP's question, we've still got plenty of PIzza Huts around, but a good number have definitely closed.  Let's just say we've got a lot of old looking 'hut buildings' that are businesses of some sort, but they are definitely not serving pizza.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope so.

Pizza Hut is to pizza what Velveeta is to cheese.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]
There is one nearby,  been there as long as I can remember.    Rarely ever see it busy, they do not deliver.   But yet somehow manages to stay open.    I go there once or twice a year
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven't noticed but god I hope so.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#13]
The 3 Pizza Hut sit-down places near me all closed down and were replaced with smaller take-out locations.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Pizza Hut sit down restaurants have been closing down for years, they're mostly walk ins where you pick up your order these days.

It's funny, I grew up in the south side of Buffalo where there is a mom and pop pizza joint on just about every corner.  Going to that one Pizza Hut was considered a treat.  Now I'm surrounded by Pizza Hut/Dominos and I'd kill for the kinda pizza I took for granted back then.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Pakistanis or whoever took over and no one wanted muslim pizza, fuck them
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Local one is still going.  They have not been able to compete with Mazzios though.  There is a waitress that has been there for like 33 years or some such, so I still go there occasionally to support her, she is just really nice but it has been probably a year.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My understanding is that it is related to the disappearing honey bees.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#18]
They are turning into Kentacohuts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, went from 5 to 1 within 20 miles in the last 2 years.  Very upsetting the once a year I want Pizza Hut.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a feeling Little ceasars is putting the hurt on em all now... they are spreading like mad, and damn convinent
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#21]
We still have a sit-down PH here, but the service sucks. I usually go to Pizza Inn, I can call it in and pick it up in their drive-thru.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#22]
No, still plenty of Pizza Huts around here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#23]
They put a new one in at the end of my road about 6 months ago.  It was really good for the first month....then their food went to shit!  It's disgusting now like they moved to bottom of the barrel ingredients after the opening rush.  Everybody I know refuses to eat there now.  Used to love PIzza Hut.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Our local PH of 30+ years just closed last week.  Papa Johns came in and put them out of business.  Small town though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess they're finally running out of places to shove cheese into.        

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Great pizza joint.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Going strong in pittsburgh but most of them got rid of the lunch buffet
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Not fast enough.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Domino's isn't the absolute shit pizza it once was. It's not great pizza either (we all know your local place is better), but it's better than Pizza Hut at the moment. They really fixed a lot of things.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I just wish the California Pizza Kitchen hadn't closed in my AO. Their Sicilian is the best pizza I ever et.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Why run to Walmart pickup a cardboard box, quart of oil and bottle of "red" sauce?

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to love Pizza Slut.  Pan with pepperoni and pork sausage.  

But if I eat there now, I have about 15 minutes to find a bathroom.  Its like clockwork down to the minute.   I just simply can't eat there now.  Its the only place that does this to me, too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Not where I live.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
I remember their commercials: "We serve FUN at Shakey's... also pizza..."

Lots of competition for pizza nowadays.

Last weekend, I had 5-6 large pizzas delivered for about $7/each.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I think the ones around me are all gone other then the drive through kfc's and taco bells that also sell some pizza slut stuff.  I think the Papa Johns are all gone too. Can't say I'll miss either of them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a few of around me that closed and turned into family owned businesses. There are a couple that are still open and running and I can't imagine why because they are dirty as fuck and never have more then 5 or 6 people in eating at anytime.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#38]
In my small town there is a Pizza Hut, Dominos and Pizza Inn.

The Pizza Hut is resoundingly decent and the Domino's is much improved over what I remember of the shit they produced in the late 1980's.

Pizza Inn makes CiCi's seem like something Gordon Ramsay would cook. It's utter shit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the stuff!  We used to go there (or Carbone's Pizza) after little league games.   I remember the first time my dad got me to try a sauerkraut and Canadian bacon pizza.  

All the Pizza Huts are still humming along here, but I heard we are also getting a Pizza Ranch nearby.  Oh, yeah!  Taco pizza.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Nope but their pizza sucks compared to Dominos and Papa Johns.
View Quote

Papa John's is OK but I've gotten Dominos exactly twice: one burned (I mean charred black burned) and one with a long hair on it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Going strong in pittsburgh but most of them got rid of the lunch buffet
View Quote

Most of the ones around here have a Wing Stop or some other wing place in with them.

Buffet's are long gone.

Our local one doesn't sell beer because it's trying to be a "family" pizza place like the one it replaced.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Domino's isn't the absolute shit pizza it once was. It's not great pizza either (we all know your local place is better), but it's better than Pizza Hut at the moment. They really fixed a lot of things.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in a small town and PH and Domino's are really the only choices.

As you say, while still not fantastic, Domino's has really stepped up their game.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#43]
There's definitely been a decline in Pizza Huts in the last few years around my area.  Same with KFC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#44]
... only one fast food chain has survived the “fast food wars”; Taco Bell......Demolition Man

Haven't you noticed that Taco Bell has absorbed Pizza Hut?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Lots of Pizza Huts around here too.

There is one in Geneva OH, one in Ashtabula OH, one in Conneaut Lake OH, one in Meadville PA, one in Girard PA...all full service restaurants.

There is even a take-out/delivery one in little shithole Conneaut OH.

Personally, the only thing Little Caesars has going for it is the stuffed crust pizza.

The only thing from Dominoes I can tolerate is their new handmade deep dish pizza.  It doesn't have that God-awful cornmeal crap on the crust.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

But if I eat there now, I have about 15 minutes to find a bathroom.  Its like clockwork down to the minute.   I just simply can't eat there now.  Its the only place that does this to me, too.
View Quote

That was the last time I had Pizza Hut.. the food was tasty, but the results were swift and furious.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#47]
We have 1 pizza hut and it still does the buffet.  Unfortunately, the delivery pizza options for my side of town blow:  Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and Papa John's are it.  All of the small independents that are better won't come out my way.  I don't order pizza anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That was the last time I had Pizza Hut.. the food was tasty, but the results were swift and furious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the big (and unfortunate) changes Pizza Hut made is that they no longer make their crust fresh at individual locations.

They now ship out frozen crusts from a central location to their stores.  It is garbage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#50]
If all the Pizza Huts, Domino's, Papa Johns, Little Caesars disappeared overnight, I would still have dozens of pizza shops within 3 miles to patronize.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top