Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Mom and Pop shops for me.

Pizza franchises  suck, there product is comparable to frozen pizza.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are getting bad pizzas from your local hut its one of two things. Shitty management or you just have different tastes and dont like it no matter what.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't mind that they are vanishing.. even though they are bit of an icon.

Usually the place is one wash short of a dirty, ill kept, torn up toilet of a restaurant.  The pizza is over-greasy and the help is surly at best.

Maybe Pizza Hut is a better restaurant up North but down here in the South -it sucks-.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pakistanis or whoever took over and no one wanted muslim pizza, fuck them
View Quote

I do not give the ones around here my business, they're are slobs and run filthy shops.

Beside the fact that they regard what they prepare as Haram, if they don"t respect it when serving it, I am not eating it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The franchise model they have adopted has hurt them alot. When I was asked to leave they were trying to get to less than 5% corporate ownership. Most of the franchisees I met only cared about the bottom line quality be damned. I like working there at first and last two years I was ready to burn the fucker down.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't eat pizza its poison but I ate their grease pies once and thought my gall blader would fail. Seriuosly crust must have had two sticks of butter in it.
View Quote

Appears I was right pizzahut #1most unhealthy fastfood
http://m.christianpost.com/news/the-most-unhealthy-meals-served-by-americas-fast-food-chains--51368/
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hear that...probably THE best pizza style buffest in the history of man.  To answer OP's question, we've still got plenty of PIzza Huts around, but a good number have definitely closed.  Let's just say we've got a lot of old looking 'hut buildings' that are businesses of some sort, but they are definitely not serving pizza.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss Shakey's.   1890's old timey.

I hear that...probably THE best pizza style buffest in the history of man.  To answer OP's question, we've still got plenty of PIzza Huts around, but a good number have definitely closed.  Let's just say we've got a lot of old looking 'hut buildings' that are businesses of some sort, but they are definitely not serving pizza.

I remember the Shakeys in the real California back in the early 60's.  It was a treat to go there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
When you are promised this:

and are lucky to actually get 2 pieces of pepperoni per slice, it kind of makes the customer base shop elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When you are promised this:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20100201-delivery-pizzahut.jpg

and are lucky to actually get 2 pieces of pepperoni per slice, it kind of makes the customer base shop elsewhere.
View Quote
Should have 60 slices for a large.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you are getting bad pizzas from your local hut its one of two things. Shitty management or you just have different tastes and dont like it no matter what.
View Quote
I agree.  A well run Pizza Hut is yummy.

A bad one is....well...BAD.

Nothing like a properly cooked, pan crust pizza.

I must say however, my current favorite pizza is the take and bake, "Papa Murphy's"....I get the five meat double stuffed....25 minutes at 375 on the paper tray and then slap it on a stone for EXACTLY ( not kidding, here ) ONE MINUTE...then take it out.

Jesus....the only thing that pizza is missing is a defibrillator.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shakey's was kind of weird, at least in California. The only kids that are there (and I'm among them), were kids that checked out and read enough library books, to qualify for a free small pizza.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss Shakey's.   1890's old timey.

I have fond memories of shakeys... I've even contemplated a road trip to one of the half dozen or so that still exist.... But, to be honest, I'm scared to find out the pizza I used to love eating while watching knight rider on a Friday night is crap.
Shakey's was kind of weird, at least in California. The only kids that are there (and I'm among them), were kids that checked out and read enough library books, to qualify for a free small pizza.  

None around here any more but......back in the day on the buffet they had pizza, sub sandwiches and fried chicken. First place I had ever seen that served dark beer on tap. They played Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy B&W shorts on a movie screen.

Four of us used to go in one day a week after biology lab and clean up the buffet and they would make us one fresh pizza.  Good times.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The franchise model they have adopted has hurt them alot. When I was asked to leave they were trying to get to less than 5% corporate ownership. Most of the franchisees I met only cared about the bottom line quality be damned. I like working there at first and last two years I was ready to burn the fucker down. http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/mooliv/public/20130903_192515_zps192cac50.jpg  
View Quote

Was this around 08?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope still two of them in my home town open and making some of the most nasty poor quality food there is.  Luckily they have Domino's which is a lot better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The delivery places are all over around here but all of the sit down and eat Pizza Huts went the way of the DoDo bird a long time ago
View Quote

This. The last one like that closed here like 15+ years ago... It's all delivery only now. Even the popular local chain that used to be right down the street when I was a kid is down to only a handful of locations, and none near me.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't know; don't care.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Was this around 08?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The franchise model they have adopted has hurt them alot. When I was asked to leave they were trying to get to less than 5% corporate ownership. Most of the franchisees I met only cared about the bottom line quality be damned. I like working there at first and last two years I was ready to burn the fucker down. http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii27/mooliv/public/20130903_192515_zps192cac50.jpg  

Was this around 08?
Sounds right 08 or 09, there was a big convention here in Phoenix. I was being groomed to be a district coach, and it all went to shit shortly after that.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds right 08 or 09, there was a big convention here in Phoenix. I was being groomed to be a district coach, and it all went to shit shortly after that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this around 08?

Yep thats when we got bought out too.
thankfully our owner was a corp high up and started his own franchise. Kept as much as he could the same as corp. What did have to change ended up better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Domino's isn't the absolute shit pizza it once was. It's not great pizza either (we all know your local place is better), but it's better than Pizza Hut at the moment. They really fixed a lot of things.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Domino's is putting the hurt on them.

Domino's isn't the absolute shit pizza it once was. It's not great pizza either (we all know your local place is better), but it's better than Pizza Hut at the moment. They really fixed a lot of things.  

Yup I get it with light sauce, chicken, and double bacon... It's not that bad for chain mass produced on a conveyer belt.

The real question, Pizza Slut or Cici's?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#20]
There are quite a few of those mobile kitchens across the country.

when katrina hit we mobilized them and gave out free pizza for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]
The nasty silicone cheese killed Pizza Hut for me. That stuff would make a goose pack extra underwear. Plus they discontinued the BBQ pizza.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#22]
The two closest to me are gone, and I would have to pass 6~8 other pizza  joints to get to an actual Pizza Hut.

And while they are not my 'favorite' brand I do occasionally want their deep fried pizza crust pizza.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#23]
There are 5 Pizza Hut sit downs within a 10 mile radius but the closest one to me(about 2 miles away is a take out only one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I couldn't tell you where the nearest Pizza Slut is.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The nasty silicone cheese killed Pizza Hut for me. That stuff would make a goose pack extra underwear. Plus they discontinued the BBQ pizza.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Orly?

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Wife worked at Dominos years ago...so we go there.  That combined with the Little Ceasers $5 Hot-n-Readys nearby...just no need to go to Pizza Hut.

Which brings up another interesting topic...Hot-n-Readys...yay or nay?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]
There's not even a Domino's or Pizza Hut around here.  There's one Round Table Pizza and a few Americanized pizza and beer type sports bars.

But I've noticed plenty of Burger King shuttered.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They are disappearing into the taco bells around here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I havent noticed since I havent looked for one in 10 years.......

Dominos is MOAR better anyways, as far as fast pizza goes......

They are disappearing into the taco bells around here.

Well, we've seen the documentary on this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Little wonder.   I can't speak for all Pizza Huts, but the one near my home changed their tomato paste/sauce that they put on their pizzas a couple of years back from one that was good to one that tasted bitter and acidic.   After that change, I stopped going in there.   So did many others as their parking lot went from mostly full  most days to empty every day.  

This was a stupid assed move on the part of Pizza Hut.   To save a few pennies on tomato paste/sauce, they shot themselves in the foot big time.  As always, the market place penalizes stupidity.

Oh, there's more to the story.   After I stopped going to Pizza Hut, I found a small local place that made great pizza for a very cheap price.  I started buying their pizzas.  BUT.........I'll be damned if the last one I bought didn't have that same bitter, acidic tomato paste/sauce on it that Pizza Hut went to.   Shit........
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#30]
We have 8 Pizza Huts, 3 dominoes, 3 little ceasars, 2 Pizza Patrons, 2 cicis, 1 papa johns and 1 sbarro. All the PH have been around a long time. Our population is about 230,000. Mom and pop pizza places do not last long here. Kids hate PJs and pizza patron. All PH are sit down and are always busy, especially nights the school kids have sports games.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

The local one moved from its old restaurant location into an old Domino's that went out of business a couple of years ago. It's co-branded with Wingstreet and only does takeout/delivery now.

ETA: The food's just as good as it was at the other place, maybe even a little bit better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got foiled again today.  I was all hungry for some Pizza Hut lunch buffet so I decided to make the drive to one of the last ones fairly close-by only to reach an abandoned restaurant and find out they were closed for business.   They've pulled this on me three times now at different locations.

Now I have to drive 30 minutes from work to get to the next closest Pizza Hut if I want to enjoy their lunch buffet.   Papa John must be putting the hurting on them.

View Quote

Most have disappeared a long time ago in my part of the country. The few that are left, are mainly delivery/take out only.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, good riddenze.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I work for a Pizza Hut, for what it's worth.  I'll agree the pizza sux

Alot of it depends on if the stores around your are corporate stores, or franchises.  I work for a franchise, so they can change, sell out, move around as things come and go.  As far as far as corporate, they are owned by YUM foods international, which is the same company that own Taco Bell, KFC, Long Johns, A&W.  I know alot of those stores have started moving twords the combined restaurants now, less staff needed, less overhead, all in one store.  

As far as why stores may be closing near you, i couldn't really say.  Big business is fucked up
View Quote

YUM sold off Long John Silver's and A&W a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#35]
There's one still around, I have no idea how. Last time I ordered carryout, like 3 years ago, I was late picking it up, and it still wasn't made when I got there, which took another 25 minutes.

Domino's got their shit together, and occasionally will get an order delivered, because none of the awesome mom and pop places deliver anymore. Illianos makes an excellent pie, but their prices reflect it.

The local Papa Ginos closed 3 or 4 years ago, after opening a new building combined with D'angelos sandwiches, but they didn't last long. Grand Opening, Grand Closing. Papa Ginos had the best cheese pizza ever.

If it weren't for all the liberals and their shitty political underlings, the NE would be a great place to live, we have some good food up here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Roundtable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wife worked at Dominos years ago...so we go there.  That combined with the Little Ceasers $5 Hot-n-Readys nearby...just no need to go to Pizza Hut.

Which brings up another interesting topic...Hot-n-Readys...yay or nay?
View Quote

For a $5 pizza, I can't bitch....bought two to feed a fence building crew (both of us ) and it got the job done, with plenty of leftovers. It's OK for a cheep gut bomb.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I used to work here, and all of this is true (and you'll pay for it, unfortunately):

View Quote

Mtn. Mikes, Round Table and Straw Hat were fucking great in Cali.

Great
pizza and you could sit and drink beer while watching the game and/or
kicking your buddies asses in the latest version of SFII.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I hope so.

Pizza Hut is to pizza what Velveeta is to cheese.
View Quote

The fake butter in the crust of a pan pizza is to die for
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Pizza Hut gives me diarrhea and it doesn't even taste good.

Double negative.

(The pizza doesn't taste good.  I've never tasted my diarrhea.)

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/KFF8fZoWJ9o

I love the lack of color correction, and the overall green tinge this ad has.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This one has a disco-theme
http://youtu.be/KFF8fZoWJ9o

I love the lack of color correction, and the overall green tinge this ad has.  

Tape breaking down? I've corrected some legacy footage from tapes so ancient it felt like it was some Dharma project.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#42]
We have a sit down one they built 2 or so years ago. We go for the buffet every couple of months. And they deliver too. Small town maybe little more than a thousand people but with a larger number of people in the surrounding area.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#43]
The local shit down one closed and moved into a strip mall 4 miles away, take out/delivery only.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There's one here in town.  A girl I was dating wanted to go there so we went.  The food was bad and the place was dirty.
View Quote

Is that why you aren't dating anymore?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Hard to say.

In this region, there is one Pizza Hut. I've used it twice, maybe three times in all the years I've been here, then only for carry out. The carry out pizza is okay, but I'll get to that point in a moment.

Why not eat there? Numerous reasons I suppose. First of all, for what I use to remember was the place, it seems like a cubicle now. I don't think they are building them any smaller but it seems like a very tight eating atmosphere. In any case, its location and that parking lot is not the easiest place to leave from. Other little reasons are that I often dine alone, in front of a TV, I like to have alcohol with my meals, and so forth.

In the 90's, we had a Mr. Gatti's here and that was great place to go to on dates because the buffet was cheap and it was a great place to scharf. Sure, lots of families were there with their kids, it was noisy, but there were enough rooms that they didn't interfere with the eating, the dating.

And then one day in this century, I looked, and it was gone. First the business was gone and then the building was gone, literally off the face of the planet. As to what happened, why, who knows, but in a college town, pizza is big business and I suppose, they lost the war.

AS THINGS GO, I am trying to get away from pick up, delivery pizza (bummer for the drivers, I am a terrific tipper). Numerous reasons to include the 3X mark up in price, move away from comfort food eating, my desire to cook, in the time of ordering and waiting I could make a great meal from my own supplies, my pizzas are "better", and learning to live out in the country.

About how my pizzas are better. I could order a great big pizza from the Papa, eat way too much, pay too much (sorry about that driver) or I could make one of my very thin pizzas from scratch and be "full" from that (because, after all, when you have to knead your own dough, you aren't so quick to make another pizza just because you still have an appetite).

Back to the places and their buffets for a moment. When one considers what the population is like these days, there are a lot of buffet places that just aren't that appetizing anymore. Jason's Deli and some Chinese places are, but others, we-ll.....................................
____________________________________________________________________________________
("What are the four food groups?"--Hunter
"Take out, delivery, frozen, and canned!"--McCall, (w,stte), Hunter, "Hot Pursuit")
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Mountain Mikes is the best.

It always has been, nothing comes close.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I gave up on Domino's in the 80's, at TAMU.

Why?

They didn't serve anchovies.

Now back then, when my tummy was more cast iron, when I could have extra garlic, jalapeno, anchovy, spicy Italian sausage pizza, that was an absolute requirement. These days, well if I ate that, I would love the taste but regret the move 30 minutes later, anchovies are still an important part of my cooking.

I can understand that a lot of people don't like anchovies..........................BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF US WHO DO!

And if you are going to go absolutely with the other group, well, then, you can do it without my dollar.

EDIT: And now that we have done all this talk about pizza, when I get home, in about 4-5 hours, I think I will make myself some!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(As Kincaid is going out the door of his bachelor apartment to get pizza to keep his stewardess gf entertain, "Oh, and Reuben? .....no anchovies.....,"--Bonnie, (w,stte), "The Partridge Family")
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#48]
We still have one (it's been here forever) but they don't have a lunch buffet
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Why?

Now back then, when my tummy was more cast iron, when I could have extra garlic, jalapeno, anchovy, spicy Italian sausage pizza, that was an absolute requirement. These days, well if I ate that, I would love the taste but regret the move 30 minutes later, anchovies are still an important part of my cooking.

I can understand that a lot of people don't like anchovies..........................BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF US WHO DO!

And if you are going to go absolutely with the other group, well, then, you can do it without my dollar.

EDIT: And now that we have done all this talk about pizza, when I get home, in about 4-5 hours, I think I will make myself some!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(As Kincaid is going out the door of his bachelor apartment to get pizza to keep his stewardess gf entertain, "Oh, and Reuben? .....no anchovies.....,"--Bonnie, (w,stte), "The Partridge Family")
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Pizza hut quit carrying anchovies for the safety of their employees. To many morans were cutting themselves on the cans.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Still a few around my area.  Heck one of them even has an evening pizza buffet on Tues and Wed.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top