Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/7/2020 7:44:12 PM EDT
And what are your thoughts, one way or another.

For example, glock 19, Sig m18, walther p99 sized pistols as opposed to full sized counterparts. As we all know some .mil units have adopted these, assuming for the saving of weight, but is this a trend you expect to see spill over to law enforcement, and what are your opinions?

I don't have a job where I have to carry a firearm on a duty belt for a living, but I think if I did and was given the options between say, a Glock 17 and 19, I might just choose the 19 even though concealment isn't really a factor. Save a little bit of weight, they aren't any less mechanically accurate, and only a small reduction in velocity. Granted I may be biased as I have grown to kind of prefer midsize pistols over their full sized counter parts.

Not to say I believe full sized pistols don't have their roll or use, but it seems like some are moving towards this size of pistols as compared to larger guns, and I wonder what your opinions are on this (potential) tread, and again, your opinion.

Once again, not talking about dedicated range or competition guns, but service sidearms.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
15+1 is probably more than enough for a pistol... but I'm not leo or .mil...
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would anyone use a "backup" pistol as their primary, duty weapon? Seems stupid to me. I've always carried full size pistols on/off duty and I continue to after I retired. What is really pathetic is people carrying only a pocket pistol as their EDC primary weapon, especially if they don't carry spare magazines.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope so.

The 5-inch + “service pistol” is an antiquated concept that goes back to horse mounted cavalry, but just won’t seem to go away.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
They have been for awhile.  

I carry a Sig X Carry on duty.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps.

When I shoot anything bigger, and go back to the G19, I'm amazed at how light, handy, and accurate 'nuff it is for a pistol that holds 15+1.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By INV136:
What is really pathetic is people carrying only a pocket pistol as their EDC primary weapon, especially if they don't carry spare magazines.
View Quote

Yeah 5 rds of .357 magnum in my front pocket is pathetic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DeltaElite777:
I hope so.

The 5-inch + “service pistol” is an antiquated concept that goes back to horse mounted cavalry, but just won’t seem to go away.
View Quote

Pffft, dragoon pistols will be making a comeback soon
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I think so. The whole point of a handgun is to be unobtrusive, and a Glock 19 or SIG M18 doesn't give up much compared to a Glock 17 or SIG M17. Smaller is easier to carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I think for most, yes, g19, p07, etc is pretty much the norm. Now for range use/ nightstand gun, g35, p09 have a place
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah 5 rds of .357 magnum in my front pocket is pathetic.
View Quote
I know right?  A real man would be able to hide a Glock 19 in his shorts pocket under a t-shirt walking around in Florida.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I think so a pistol proven to be reliable in the footprint of a G43x or sig 365xl with mounted optics and light seems like a winning formula going forward.

Perhaps a slight tweak in operation that allows the optic to be static.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
If your primary is a handgun (as it is for most cops) then a full size makes more sense if they can shoot it better.

If the rifle is primary then yeah compact all day long and only one extra mag and use that space for another rifle magazine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bulldogs12:
If your primary is a handgun (as it is for most cops) then a full size makes more sense if they can shoot it better.

If the rifle is primary then yeah compact all day long and only one extra mag and use that space for another rifle magazine.
View Quote

This is a fair point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#14]
We had a choice between 19 and 17. I chose the 17 just because I shoot it a little better and my hand fits the grip more comfortably.

I think it just comes down to owner preference. They would both perform equally well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
NYPD has been using the G19 as a duty weapon since the 90's. Has worked just fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Garandboy:
NYPD has been using the G19 as a duty weapon since the 90's. Has worked just fine.
View Quote

Not sure how to take that comment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Pony151515:

Not sure how to take that comment. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pony151515:
Originally Posted By Garandboy:
NYPD has been using the G19 as a duty weapon since the 90's. Has worked just fine.

Not sure how to take that comment. 

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#18]
We are switching from G23’s to G45’s
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]
this has been the case for over a decade

the g19 is a compact pistol
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Because a compact or midsize does the job a full-size pistol does...and its a helluva lot easier to carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I look at the G43X w/ Shield 15 rd mags, along with the 365XL with its 12 and 15 rd mags, and I think- why would I carry anything bigger? I own both btw.

The minute that the larger gun companies realized they could stop making compacts/subcompacts that had to be able to chamber .40 (because it's dead, RIP), we started getting some neat options. If I was carrying a pistol professionally on duty, I'd go with a Glock 45 w/ weaponlight and RDS because size doesn't really matter. For carry as a civilian? I'll stick with my 365XL and 15 round spare mag. It's just way too convenient to carry to think about anything else, and it's still a formidable package with my micro RDS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And what are your thoughts, one way or another.

For example, glock 19, Sig m18, walther p99 sized pistols as opposed to full sized counterparts. As we all know some .mil units have adopted these, assuming for the saving of weight, but is this a trend you expect to see spill over to law enforcement, and what are your opinions?

I don't have a job where I have to carry a firearm on a duty belt for a living, but I think if I did and was given the options between say, a Glock 17 and 19, I might just choose the 19 even though concealment isn't really a factor. Save a little bit of weight, they aren't any less mechanically accurate, and only a small reduction in velocity. Granted I may be biased as I have grown to kind of prefer midsize pistols over their full sized counter parts.

Not to say I believe full sized pistols don't have their roll or use, but it seems like some are moving towards this size of pistols as compared to larger guns, and I wonder what your opinions are on this (potential) tread, and again, your opinion.

Once again, not talking about dedicated range or competition guns, but service sidearms.
View Quote
I've always been a fan of 5" autos for me personally.  First the 1911 in 45acp then 2011 in 9mm.  Both calibers are easy to shoot quickly and accurately.  They're pleasant to shoot and relatively easy to conceal.  After 22 years, I bought a commander sized 2011 cut for rds, not because that's what I wanted but because the 5" gun wasn't an option.  I've been happy with the slightly shorter barreled gun.  It's a little lighter and just a little more comfortable to carry iwb.

As for agency issue, we've been a mix of mid size Glock 23s (near 20 years) then the full size Glock 22, that's where we are now if you don't provide your own.  Soon hopefully we'll be issuing 9mms, Glock 17s and 19s.  Decision has been made but no guns purchased.  I'd like better variety to fit the gun to the Officer but you do what you can with what you have.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Depends on usage.

For a do-all pistol, yeah.

But I think there’s merit to carrying a subcompact and keeping a full-size in the bedside table.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#24]
If there is a requirement for concealed carry, I can see it. However for guys with war belts, might as well have the biggun.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer the G45 over the G17 and I prefer the M18 to the M17.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I've always thought the G17 was huge and the G34 was even huge'r.  G19 is a good size, and I've liked/carried the P30 for years.  Some the really like the P2000 and USP Compact.  I also like the M&P 2.0 Compact and Commander size 1911s.

Medium sized is the best all around and 15 rounds is plenty.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bcw107:

My son's M18 came with a 17 round flush fit and two 21 round magazines.
View Quote

Yeah, the M18 has a compact slide on a full sized grip.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why would anyone use a "backup" pistol as their primary, duty weapon? Seems stupid to me. I've always carried full size pistols on/off duty and I continue to after I retired. What is really pathetic is people carrying only a pocket pistol as their EDC primary weapon, especially if they don't carry spare magazines.
View Quote
I don't think I'd consider a G19 a "backup" pistol.

Compact/midsize guns are also very scalable.  A G19 with a +2 extension and Surefire light, is for all intents and purposes a full size duty weapon.  The same gun with  with a standard mag and no light is also one of the most popular CCW choices there is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By f402mech:
I look at the G43X w/ Shield 15 rd mags, along with the 365XL with its 12 and 15 rd mags, and I think- why would I carry anything bigger? I own both btw. 

The minute that the larger gun companies realized they could stop making compacts/subcompacts that had to be able to chamber .40 (because it's dead, RIP), we started getting some neat options. If I was carrying a pistol professionally on duty, I'd go with a Glock 45 w/ weaponlight and RDS because size doesn't really matter. For carry as a civilian? I'll stick with my 365XL and 15 round spare mag. It's just way too convenient to carry to think about anything else, and it's still a formidable package with my micro RDS.
View Quote

I really like my 365XL for EDC. Had it about 3 months.  When I'm at the range and using OWB I really enjoy a full size.  Context of use matters for sure.  If I happened to find myself having to carrying a rifle as a primary I would go ahead with full size secondary.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#31]
It’s a good thing for the military, where a pistol is a secondary weapon except in relatively secure settings on a base.  Pistols are probably seeing more actual use now due to green on blue attacks on bases in Afghanistan.

On the police side, more often than not, a pistol is the primary weapon.  We’ve always had higher overall scores with the full sized pistols than with the comparable compact, due to the sight radius.  Felt recoil is lighter with a full size, and if a light is mounted the extra slide length is definitely not an issue.

Certainly some agencies will go to compacts, but I expect most will stay with full size variants for duty use.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
I think for most, yes, g19, p07, etc is pretty much the norm. Now for range use/ nightstand gun, g35, p09 have a place
View Quote

Pretty much this.  That G35 is the perfect nightstand option......cuts way down on muzzle blast/night blindess too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#33]
My agency is switching to the g45 mos  and tlr-7a in late summer /early fall.  

I'm very much looking forward to it over the G37 we carry now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#34]
The 19 is not the perfect pistol if you have large hands.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DukeFan23:
We are switching from G23’s to G45’s
View Quote

We just did that. You are going to like it so much better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bandhunter:

I really like my 365XL for EDC. Had it about 3 months.  When I'm at the range and using OWB I really enjoy a full size.  Context of use matters for sure.  If I happened to find myself having to carrying a rifle as a primary I would go ahead with full size secondary.
View Quote

Same, and the only reason I could ever possibly conceive is if we had another bad hurricane around here and looty came around. For that I've got an M&P 2.0 w/ X300U in a Safariland rig. For the other 99.99999% of the time, I'll keep the 365XL on me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Why would anyone use a "backup" pistol as their primary, duty weapon? Seems stupid to me. I've always carried full size pistols on/off duty and I continue to after I retired. What is really pathetic is people carrying only a pocket pistol as their EDC primary weapon, especially if they don't carry spare magazines.
View Quote

So pathetic.

That's why I don't travel anywhere without dedicated air support circling nearby.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By alacop:

We just did that. You are going to like it so much better.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alacop:
Originally Posted By DukeFan23:
We are switching from G23’s to G45’s

We just did that. You are going to like it so much better.

I was on board the minute the decision was made.  I’ll end up buying my 23 from the PD for about $200, thou, as I have a ton of mags and .40 ammo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DeltaElite777:
I hope so.

The 5-inch + “service pistol” is an antiquated concept that goes back to horse mounted cavalry, but just won’t seem to go away.
View Quote

This.
If you can't handle it with a G19 and a 14.5" AR Carbine, you need to call in the cavalry.

And that g19 and carbine combined probably weigh as much as some of the service pistols of years gone by.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
I don't think I'd consider a G19 a "backup" pistol.

Compact/midsize guns are also very scalable.  A G19 with a +2 extension and Surefire light, is for all intents and purposes a full size duty weapon.  The same gun with  with a standard mag and no light is also one of the most popular CCW choices there is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Why would anyone use a "backup" pistol as their primary, duty weapon? Seems stupid to me. I've always carried full size pistols on/off duty and I continue to after I retired. What is really pathetic is people carrying only a pocket pistol as their EDC primary weapon, especially if they don't carry spare magazines.
I don't think I'd consider a G19 a "backup" pistol.

Compact/midsize guns are also very scalable.  A G19 with a +2 extension and Surefire light, is for all intents and purposes a full size duty weapon.  The same gun with  with a standard mag and no light is also one of the most popular CCW choices there is.

When Glock introduced the 19, they dubbed it the 'Pocket Glock'.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#41]
As testosterone levels continue to decrease the smaller pistols will continue to rise in popularity.  

It's inevitable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#42]
This is a very good trend.

Less is definitely more
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By samuse:
As testosterone levels continue to decrease the smaller pistols will continue to rise in popularity.  

It's inevitable.
View Quote

By this logic we should still use Garands and M16s.

And computers the size of a room.

And Zack Morris Brick phones
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I have small hands
G19 is even a little big
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Apparently, a compact slide and full-sized grip is the new combat pistol.

I'm not sure how that makes sense, but it's the new hotness.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Voland:
15+1 is probably more than enough for a pistol... but I'm not leo or .mil...
View Quote

You can do that with a g48
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#47]
As testosterone levels continue to decrease the smaller pistols will continue to rise in popularity.  

It's inevitable.
View Quote

But you'll always carry the largest possible, so the world knows just how much testosterone is flowing through you?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#48]

For whatever reason I shoot "midsized" pistols (like the g19) better than their full sized counterparts, but I know I'm in the minority.

I think you should carry the largest and highest capacity gun you can shoot well. But what I think has shit to do with what most folks do.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Barrels longer than 4.25" start getting uncomfortable when holstered OWB on a belt, and the closer to 4", the more comfortable.  There's only so "hi rise" most holsters can get before they're unwieldy, or your belt is so high up you become Erkle.

Duty or service guns get carried considerably more than shot.

So, yeah.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#50]

It's inevitable.
View Quote

If you need a bigger gun to feel masculine it's because you're the low testosterone one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top