Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#1]
We had a shooting at one of our office parties, and the shot guy died.  The Christmas parties just never really were the same after that.

But, as drunken Christmas parties go, it was epic!
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have gotten laid at the drunken company Christmas party
View Quote
Did he ever call you again?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Work for a small company - this year we had an open bar, great food and many of us played adult-themed games.  A few lovely ladies were there, including my wife.  No one got groped or had anything inappropriate happen. It was fun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol, office parties in 2019. Can't tell any jokes, can't flirt with any women, can't drive home afterward because you had 3 whole beers. Gee, where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
HR fucked it all up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of us still have too much work to get done to waste time at parties.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine are self sponsored by the employees.  Work sponsored = liability.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
We do Dave and Busters, with theoretically limited drink tickets.  In practice if you can ask for another ticket, you get one.

We're stagehands, so you can imagine the results.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Getting toasted around people with whom you work is fundamentally idiotic.
View Quote
Unless you’re in the beverage alcohol industry then it’s damn near expected. Then again these types of events in my industry are frequent and not limited to the holidays
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Back in the 90’s our parties started about noon on the Friday before Xmas.  The boss would insist everyone always have a full drink in their glass.   By 3 everybody as shitfaced .  We had to take employees out with wheel chairs and dump them in a cab or spouses car
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
In my AO this year which involves federal government, military, contractors; Christmas parties are limited to potluck lunches, gift exchanges, but no formal dinner/alcohol parties.

My son's ship had a Christmas party in Norfolk that ended up on WordStarHipHop though.

Chief's ship boo and his wife got into a scrap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#12]
We stopped years ago after a massive shit show with the factory workers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The first thing that happens when you drink is you lose your inhibitions.

NEVER lose your inhibitions around the people you work with.
View Quote
Yep, especially if you intend long term employment at the particular place.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
They were still having the Christmas one when I left in 2012, people always got drunk and did dumb shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Last night we had a pair of 300ish pound managers doing drunken interpretive dancing. It was pretty lit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]
#metoo. Nope, nope, nope.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#18]
No Christmas party at my job, but we did go to a Rockies game over the summer and there was a 4th of July party at the owner's place (~20 people in the company).  Both of those events resulted in a DUI unfortunately.

Maybe that's why there is no Christmas party...

Wife is the manager of a credit union and we had a Christmas party at our place last year for her employees.  I got drunk alongside one of the other husbands, but here was no drama.  I did see one of her employee's titties by accident too (breast feeding).
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
#metoo. Nope, nope, nope.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Just had ours, free drink tickets when we arrived think everyone got six or so but theres always half the people who don't drink that give up their tickets if ya hit them up, woke up at 3am in the parking lot in my running truck , not a soul around.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#21]
With all the multiculturalism leading to things like this:   San-Bernardino terror Attack  I'd be careful about who I'd party with.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
From all the Xmas parties I worked this year?  Def not.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#23]
According to my union industrial electrician neighbor they are still a thing. He said their meetings are usually even more interesting
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lol, office parties in 2019. Can't tell any jokes, can't flirt with any women, can't drive home afterward because you had 3 whole beers. Gee, where do I sign up?
View Quote
We still have the old fashioned kind. Shuttle bus, hotel lobby drinking until dawn, etc
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Just did one for my wife's company a couple weeks ago.

Some people have trouble controlling themselves and make themselves look like idiots in front of their co-workers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]
We have alcohol but it's just beer and wine and tons of good food. Tough to get too hammered because I'll be full on food or just fluid lol.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just had ours, free drink tickets when we arrived think everyone got six or so but theres always half the people who don't drink that give up their tickets if ya hit them up, woke up at 3am in the parking lot in my running truck , not a soul around.
View Quote
A guy died here last winter doing about the same thing.

Passed out in his truck after getting hammered, CO poisoning. He was on life support for a couple days, but his brain had been destroyed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, at least on the corporate side it's dinner and still an open bar.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been to the one where I work every year for the past 26 years and never seen anyone drunk at any of them.  But we are a small business and rarely have much over two dozen people including significant others.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
What exactly do you do that you can’t go to an office party?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I attended one last night. Drank a ton of st Pauli’s girl and acted like an ass

I feel like ass too
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sit grumpily at his desk while his co-workers have some fun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn, I feel sorry for some of you.  Every year we rent a private venue somewhere because we expect it to quickly sink into full on debauchery and we don't want to offend others.
I guess part of the reason our party is so fun is we all like each other and get along great.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your newsletter I wish to subscribe to
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#35]
These days, NFW.  I avoid company get togethers like the plague.

Back in the day I worked in telecom and some wild events were had.  Christmas parties started at the bar the company rented for the night.  The party for the "cool kids" generally ended when the strip club closed or your shift started.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine are pretty tame, all the clinicians avoid drinking too much but my wife’s are a bit different, lots of drinks and lots of sexual white elephant gifts. I’ll make a show for mine but I don’t really care for parties in general
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Getting shit faced in front of coworkers you aren’t otherwise close with outside of work is not something I consider a generally wise proposition.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol I always get a pocketful of extra tickets from HR. After the meal and drawings I hang out at the bar and pass them out liberally
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When I worked for a cable company we had our Christmas party at a bar/restaurant. One of the younger cable techs got hammered, left the party and was killed in a wreck. I will never forget the phone call from my boss the morning after the party.
View Quote
We lost a guy like that, driving home from our unit’s Marine Corps Ball.  He was a brand new guy fresh out of boot camp only was in the reserve unit a month or two.   Not my platoon but I felt really bad that I couldn’t remember his face.  That was 31 years ago and the part about forgetting what he looked like saddens me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Getting toasted around people with whom you work is fundamentally idiotic.
View Quote
This. I've seen it destroy too many careers. Have a drink or two, mingle for an hour, keep your hands off other people, then say goodnight and go home before the shenanigans begin. Then laugh as the shit hits the fan your first day back and people start getting fired and blacklisted.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#41]
No way I'd sponsor one if I was running a company these days.  Sad, but I get it.

We get a nice dinner with drinks. It's nice, but not party.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They seem to be more or less dead.  I've been to some snoozefests and some real barn burners.  It's best to keep it at a light buzz so you can enjoy the President's secretary getting shitfaced and trying to molest one of the blue collar workers.

Those parties always bring the freaks out.  Most of them are people you'd never suspect.
View Quote
This ^^^^ Straight laced little Suzy with the bolt on tits turns out to be a master at the art of blow jobs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We stopped years ago after a massive shit show with the factory workers.
View Quote
This pretty much ended holiday parties for our company as well.

We just have a luncheon now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Mine toned down now that the head person is a tea totaler but I won a trip to Japan
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#45]
We had one about 3-4 years ago, I think they gave everyone 4 tickets for drinks. Those lasted about an hour.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Corporate Retail since 2003 checking in.  Vs 15-20 years ago in my experience they are dead as a doornail.  I will always miss the schenanigans but im sure HR depts got fed up with paying off admins who got drunk and banged their VP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I show up. Wave the flag for 45 minutes. Make sure the right people see me. Eat and have my 2 free beers. Then run like hell.

I was joking with the chief pilot that his office was right around the corner for the disicipline meeting.

Christmas parties are also known as the position enhancement meeting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Nope. Our Christmas parties are epic, hell all of our parties and events are epic.  It’s a topic of conversation in the entire industry.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#49]
depends on the company.

federal, state companies should pass.

Construction Industry it's a go.

Small Businesses is a good idea if your treating your employees well. There's a way of doing it to reduce liability. Dinner one place under the company banner, everyone meeting afterwards at a place for drinks not connected with the company - magically the drinks keep coming and I never had to pull out my wallet-someone gave me an Uber card. Officers and top people leave after the first few rounds.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#50]
No idea my industry is 90% or more men. I would pass if they had one.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top