Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/11/2021 10:53:24 AM EDT
Are “garden tractors” a joke for any kind of ground engaging garden work?

As a kid I used to see the Sears catalogue with disk, plow, and all sorts of ground engaging equipment for the 18-22 hp garden tractors. But I grew up on a farm with 35-80 hp tractors.

My dad would always (correctly) point out that the soil in the pictures looked like it had already had a tiller ran across it, before the photo of the 18 hp lawnmower with disk showed up.

I’ve seen some videos on YouTube of guys with a disk or plow behind a garden tractor, and I always have to ask; wouldn’t it be better to just pay someone with a “real” tractor once a year to till your garden?  

Or, buy a SCUT. But that’s like real money and space to store it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
My granddad had both. The big tractor was for the fields. The garden tractor was for his garden. He had plows and attachments for breaking, covering, and tending the garden rows.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Id say you are correct.  At least for most dirt around the USA.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Garden tractors of 30 to 40 years ago weren't the "riding mowers" of today.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#4]
shit. just get a good ztr. plow, disk or blade anything you want then
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#5]
"Riding lawnmower" is a more accurate name, for sure.

If it doesn't have a PTO that can twist a guy's arm off in 5 seconds, it's not a tractor
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]
My BX series Kubota can turn over some dirt so long as I run an appropriately sized tiller.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 26HP tractor Mahindra 2615 HST with a front end loader that can move two round bales (front and back) at the same time, but I till my garden with a 5hp front tine craftsman tiller because I got it for free, it won't die, and I like the retro feel of tilling like it was when I was a kid in the 80s.

I don't see any reason why a "garden tractor" 18-22 hp would have trouble tilling a garden at all, but I've never used one.  I borrowed a PTO tiller for my Mahindra one year and it worked very well, but the friend I borrowed it from passed and his kids took all his stuff to auction.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
No doubt a point of semantics. But I have a JD 1025r which is a scut. 18hp pto. I've got a tiller for it for my garden and I was surprised how well it did in my heavy clay soil. The garden has been tilled before, but it's always such a struggle with the heavy soils here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]
You ever get a fast food burger that looks like the one you saw on a commercial?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Sadly OP, with our heavy clay soil you make a good point.  That's why I didn't buy one.

My neighbor across the street does have a big regular farm tractor and he said if I ever need any stuff done to just ask him.

So I got lucky.....he has pulled some old dead stumps out of the ground so I can get back to the runoff rain ditch and mow the grass back there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My granddad had both. The big tractor was for the fields. The garden tractor was for his garden. He had plows and attachments for breaking, covering, and tending the garden rows.
View Quote

This is what my grandad did too.  I do it too, just on a smaller scale.  Garden tractor for mowing and light clean up with a trailer.  Compact tractor for heavier work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Former employer was the same way, he had a large farm (for SC) in another part of the state with large tractors but had a John Deere garden tractor for around his house.  It had a rear PTO and hydraulic hookups and he had several attachments for it and the rear tires were even water filled.  I've known a couple of other people that used them around their houses and large gardens.  As someone else said, I don't think the newer models have the frame setups and connections that allow for all of the useful attachments.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Former employer was the same way, he had a large farm (for SC) in another part of the state with large tractors but had a John Deere garden tractor for around his house.  It had a rear PTO and hydraulic hookups and he had several attachments for it and the rear tires were even water filled.  I've known a couple of other people that used them around their houses and large gardens.  As someone else said, I don't think the newer models have the frame setups and connections that allow for all of the useful attachments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BX series from Kubota and what ever JD has all have a real deal 3 point hitch, you can have a front end loader on it too, then you can add a belly mower. They are very versatile if you don't need a 40 hp tractor or larger.

When my little JD 130 dies I am going to get a compact tractor for my house
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a full size tractor for use on my property. I could use a garden type tractor for actually gardening if I wanted and people around do. Really sandy soil. The toughest thing is the grass in the pasture to start and that can be mowed down or burnt off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

With a zero turn? Lol no.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Meh, it depends on what you expect

I’ve broken ground with an ariens garden tractor with a single 10” moldboard plow

Worked just fine, just not fast, but not slow either for a vegetable garden sized area

I also used the ~32” tiller on the back of it, and that works great, no different results than the 50” gear driven one on my Kubota B series CUT
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one of the smaller BX's that runs a 48" roto-tiller just fine.

Sucks as a mower though unless you've got plenty of time on your hands.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The BX series from Kubota and what ever JD has all have a real deal 3 point hitch, you can have a front end loader on it too, then you can add a belly mower. They are very versatile if you don't need a 40 hp tractor or larger.

View Quote

I've got the JD 1025r....which I think is the equivalent to the BX series.  I've got all the attachments you mentioned plus the backhoe....I grew up on a farm around big tractors....for the most part my little JD will do everything, just a little slower or with more trips due to the smaller bucket.  Obviously there's a limit, especially the backhoe....you're not gonna rip out a 24" stump with it.

I've more than gotten my money out of it while building my house and after.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BX series is still a small tractor and JD's offering is the same.  JD used to make the 317, 400 and some other models back in the '60s/70s/80s that looked like a riding mower but actually had factory options for a PTO, hydraulic fittings, frame mounting points for a front loader or blade, 3 point hitch, etc.  They used to offer them in diesel versions as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I don’t know OP but I will say that a 75 hp and up tractor feels fucking good to have and it’s every sane man dream since childhood
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Ground engaging I'd say no. Running a small tiller, moving loose material with a FEL, light trenching with a backhoe , sure. The cost of those things on a compact tractor is pretty high and you'd be better off renting or hiring it done for occasional big DIY projects. Wanting a sub compact was good enough reason for me to buy one though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nicely done.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know OP but I will say that a 75 hp and up tractor feels fucking good to have and it's every sane man dream since childhood
View Quote
Love my 110hp Cab.

Smallest I'll go down to is a 25-30 horse L or my old Johnny Poppers, or a 3 cylinder Ford.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Garden tractors of 30 to 40 years ago weren't the "riding mowers" of today.
View Quote

This.

Look at the old pre-MTD Cub Cadets.

Real transmissions, wheel weights, nose weights, PTOs, 3 point setups, plows, seeders, hydraulics, everything.  You can genuinely run a 1-2 acre garden with one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#25]
"Garden tractor " in todays terms is essentially a glorified lawn mower.

"SUV" in todays terms is essentially a glorified station wagon.

Marketing sleight of hand.

Like those tiny new Broncos.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#26]
My 10hp farmall cub can plow a garden well. But it’s no “lawn tractor”
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#27]
My garden tractor makes my 2.5hr lawn mowing chore into a 45min chore.  No foolin
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#28]
In the last month, I have hauled 10 tons of rip rap and 6 tons of top soil in dump carts behind my garden tractor.  I am still rebuilding the 10' of my backyard that Hurricane Sally took out.  I think buying it 6 years ago was money well spent.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The BX series is still a small tractor and JD's offering is the same.  JD used to make the 317, 400 and some other models back in the '60s/70s/80s that looked like a riding mower but actually had factory options for a PTO, hydraulic fittings, frame mounting points for a front loader or blade, 3 point hitch, etc.  They used to offer them in diesel versions as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that's what I need, a small tractor, it would also be super useful to move my offshore cc around.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I like the old John Deere 318/322/332 series garden tractors.  All the features of a big tractor in a small package.  (Yes they had a PTO that would twist your arm off)  the frames and drivetrain are very stout and they had no issue doing their intended job, whether it was plowing, tilling, mowing, lifting.  I have seen people routinely use these old workhorses well beyond their stated limits.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've got the JD 1025r....which I think is the equivalent to the BX series.  I've got all the attachments you mentioned plus the backhoe....I grew up on a farm around big tractors....for the most part my little JD will do everything, just a little slower or with more trips due to the smaller bucket.  Obviously there's a limit, especially the backhoe....you're not gonna rip out a 24" stump with it.

I've more than gotten my money out of it while building my house and after.
View Quote

My old man has one, and for serious Johnny homeowner stuff it is more than capable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Two grades

Garden Tractors can pull small harrows and plows.

Lawn Tractors can pull rollers and carts. It is primarily a mower.

Most people have lawn tractors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a Deere 425.  I'd say that's the bottom end of what can be used for that kind of work.  That was the "top of the line" retail mower in the 90s.  The equivalent of the 7-series mowers/tractors today.

Full hydraulics, optional rear PTO, can take a Cat0 or Cat1 3-point.  Deere makes a front end loader for it, as well as both a PTO and hydraulic tiller.

John Deere 425 mower with tiller

If I was to get back into gardening at the new house, I'd probably be inclined to get something like a Troybilt Horse, as opposed to spending the serious coin on the tractor-mounted tiller.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#34]
A few gallons of diesel does a lot of work....

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Pap put in 1/4-1/2 acre garden every year with a 10hp Gravely walk behind. It tilled, plowed, pulled a spreader, cart, roller, and brush hogged just fine. Still does in fact although finding parts is getting difficult.

My 1025r does all that too but faster and with less effort.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Anything ground engaging, you really have to be aware of the soil composition. We have clay soil here and I think anything for ground work, you would have to have a diesel tractor with a solid PTO. I have a 1025R and a 4' tiller that did great busting up sod for our garden. I think I would have killed a gasoline garden tractor doing that.

I'd say a garden tractor is for the suburbs for lawn mowing and a trailer to haul flowers and having a small raised garden.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#37]
If I'm turning over dirt, I'm using my 75 horse utility tractor.

For yard level things like spreading fertilizer, towing a 20 gallon spot sprayer, mowing, etc the ZTR gets it done for me.

Just put a big enough gate on the garden to get a real machine in for the dirt work and then use the more convenient machine for the finery.

ETA:  Never tried it, but my perception is that anything short of 25-35 PTO HP would have a really hard time breaking up the hard-assed ground we have where I'm located.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I really hope to buy some property in the next few years, mostly because I want a bigass tractor. I don't really have much planned to do with it, I just want to drive it around and knock things over.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Garden tractors can get a lot of work done at small scale, they're a different machine than a riding mower though. The biggest handicap is weight, they don't weigh enough to move much dirt, but they beat the hell out of a pick and shovel.

The bigger issue is people who're still using conventional large scale farming methods at kitchen garden scales are creating more work for themselves than they're saving, a garden doesn't need to be tilled more than once.

I own a 25HP compact tractor/loader and the only thing I'd ever use it for in my garden is carrying compost/mulch to it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JD has a hydraulic PTO on the x700 series, the x500 series has a belt driven PTO for a tiller. The x300s are heavy duty lawn mowers vs their big box 100 series. The 270 is a hybrid between the x300 and 100.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#41]
One of the very few garden tractors.

Attachment Attached File

The Gravely Model L.  There were a total of 70 attachments available.  I took my grandfather's after he died and it was a monster.  A single stroke engine with a piston literally the size of a coffee can.  Nothing but a live pto with enough torque to do anything and absolutely no safety equipment.  One beautifully dangerous piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I think back in the day they were direct drives, maybe tougher than a small hydrostat.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#43]
My 27hp JD 4115 can do anything I throw at it.  4ft tiller, 4ft brushhog, 5 ft aerator, 9in augar, decent size disk harrow, 60in belly mower, subsoiler in hard red clay.  It's my first tractor and I'm thoroughly impressed.
To hell with belts and gas engines.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

JD has a hydraulic PTO on the x700 series, the x500 series has a belt driven PTO for a tiller. The x300s are heavy duty lawn mowers vs their big box 100 series. The 270 is a hybrid between the x300 and 100.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

I'll admit I'm not up on their newer offerings but they don't appear to be on the same level as the older models which were heavier and designed to run implements.  

I think the small garden tractors (what used to be labeled garden tractors anyways, not mowers with a hitch) make a lot of sense for some areas such as the south but not for areas that have harder, rockier soils such as out west.  They make sense for folks who are working an already established area as well.  I know they were popular around here with folks who own small tracts and maybe have a large garden, you still see a fair number of them around so they obviously hold up well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#45]
That’s what they farm with in Japan. 15-30 hp tractors with pto driven tillers.
Tractors for the Japanese market are set up a little differently than ones intended for the USA though, such as a three speed PTO. The tillers they use will break up any soil short of a rock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#46]
The Deere 330, 420, 430, 425, 455 are what I consider "garden tractors."  They were primarily mowers, but built heavy enough to do other work.  They were essentially commercial grade.  IMO if there isn't a PTO or 3 point, or provisions for them, it's a "lawn tractor."

They were still too light to do any "real" ground engaging work.  I have a 430 - 20 hp Yanmar diesel.  It weighs 1200 lbs.  It has a differential lock, a Sunstrand hydro, front and rear PTO, and a cat 0 3 point hitch.  While the snow blower will throw snow 30 feet, I have to put an additional 600 lbs of wheel and suitcase weights on it along with chains to actually move the snow blower.  It will pull 2 rippers through sod(just deep enough to break through, or a single ripper much deeper for burying wire etc), or a single bottom plow with front weights.  It's very effective with a PTO tiller compared to a plow. It has no problem pulling the kind of disc you see sometimes pulled behind ATVs and UTVs.  You can grade gravel with a 4' box blade, but not with any amount of ripper engagement.

If it was 4x4, it would be able to do significantly more, traction is it's biggest failing and weights can only get you so far.

People still pay $3, $4, even $5,000 for these machines even though they're 20-30 years old because the cost of a modern equivalent is over 2x as much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My 10hp farmall cub can plow a garden well. But it’s no “lawn tractor”
View Quote

With a Woods belly mower it can be!
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No doubt a point of semantics. But I have a JD 1025r which is a scut. 18hp pto. I've got a tiller for it for my garden and I was surprised how well it did in my heavy clay soil. The garden has been tilled before, but it's always such a struggle with the heavy soils here.
View Quote

I don’t doubt a 1025 could do a good job.

But I’m talking about this type.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#49]
When I was a kid I rode one of those little coin operated machines they used to have out front of grocery stores and the like.  

It was of a farm tractor ..... that is my only experience with farm tractors
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't know about the little lawn tractors. We have a small Kubota 2600 with 27hp that I use for "farming" more than our 80hp John Deere. Actually probably 10-1 more. But for plowing new ground the Kubota wont do it and it takes the bigger tractor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top