Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/11/2022 11:22:39 PM EDT
Obviously there are some but is it that common that there needs to be a commercial for it on TV?

Holy fuck we are fucking doomed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
I used to work in auto lending
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe they are banking on a mad max scenario where credit would be useless?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Young people don't watch TV. It's not being advertised there for them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
the way we are going credit scores and their use are going to be deemed racist.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Hmm. The commercial featured a young black couple and the male was wearing a shirt had "Unity" on it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
No. Young people are saving more younger than any previous generation. Their understanding of money is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm is right. It's a little odd to be obsessed with being called a racist if you aren't one. And bringing it to unrelated conversations is a sign of obsession.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with a friend last week to buy a car. They don’t even ask about income anymore for a car loan
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
lol

If you can’t buy it outright, you can’t afford it
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I just went bankrupt and a few days later got numerous letters in the mail from dealerships trying to get me to come get a loan.

Not sure what's up with that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
lol

View Quote

I’m okay with a young person financing their first car. But after that you shouldn’t need to ever again
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Half the boomers here wonder why their credit score is low because they pay for everything in cash.  

They can’t put that together.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
lol

If you can't buy it outright, you can't afford it
View Quote
No. I bought a car new and paid it off in under 2 years.

All my other cars were beaters I paid for up front, under $2500
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#15]
My daughter won't even talk about going to college because she doesn't want to take out any student loans.

She asked me the other day how you buy a car if you don't have enough money for it all at once. I smiled and said, "well, you have to get a loan, and make payments, which means you go into debt in order to buy the car."

The look on her face when she realized that she will either have to work a lot to save up to buy her car, or go into debt was priceless.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just went bankrupt and a few days later got numerous letters in the mail from dealerships trying to get me to come get a loan.

View Quote

My guess is that now that you had a “clean slate” and unburdened yourself of other debt and recurring payments, you were a lower default risk.

I was in auto insurance for 10 years.  First time drunk drivers were our most profitable segment.  We had had a huge surcharge because of that first one and most drivers were extremely careful drivers since they had provisional licenses in most cases.

The two time offenders were kryptonite.  Those assholes were never going to learn.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#17]
2008 and even now proves credit doesn’t mean shit when buying a home.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Credit scores are a scam.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Most people have no idea how credit works.

And credit is a lot less important than it’s been made out to be, income and understanding how to avoid interest pays off alot more
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#20]
manual underwriting is a thing.

it is possible to buy a home absent a credit score.

it doesn't mean you don't get a loan.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
lol

View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That already happened.  It's what caused the 2008 crash and recession.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m okay with a young person financing their first car. But after that you shouldn’t need to ever again
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

However if you're smart with your money you should definitely finance. Why lose money by paying cash? Certainly not everybody is in this position, but if you've got killer credit it's easy to earn much higher interest rates than auto loan rates. Finance the car, invest the cash.

Same goes for making additional principal payments on your mortgage. Yeah it's nice to pay it down early, but financially a better choice to invest elsewhere, especially true if you got in when interest rates were like 2.5%.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Probably the same people that use pay day loans, don’t have a bank account for direct deposit, and utilize a gas station as their grocery store.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I didn't.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Younger people have figured out there's no such thing as security.  Why would you take on a loan if you don't know if you'll have a job 3 months from now?  These kids are acting like this is a third world country because for them it is.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I was 35 when I bought a sports car and I applied for a loan at the dealership.  Salesman looked a little perplexed.  I had a 800 score and he said "you know, you're not the typical type of buyer here."
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

so, what car did you get?
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hmm. The commercial featured a young black couple and the male was wearing a shirt had "Unity" on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black people aren't the target audience when POC are used in commercials, white liberals are the target audience, it's basically virtue signaling by appearing to be marketing to minorities.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol

View Quote

Yup. As a youngin (compared to y'all old farts) it is stupid to get a loan for everything. The only thing I "own" I wasn't able to buy outright is my house. Not my vehicles (used) we're cash purchases, my MG was cash, my machining equipment was cash and I was able to put 20% down on the house with a mortgage under 3% on the house without negatively effecting my finances. I don't have a credit card either so no reoccurring debt neither.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I went with a friend last week to buy a car. They don’t even ask about income anymore for a car loan
View Quote

They didn’t almost 25 years ago when I sold Chevys as a kid.
As a matter of fact I’m not sure I’ve ever been asked about income. Just fill out the credit inquiry.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
They already are, at least where housing is concerned. Horrible credit and the appropriate amount of melanin can net you some nice digs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:22:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I know a guy in his late 20s who came across a great deal on a house, had been saving for a while (but ignored people that told him he should be saving more), and had at least decent credit, so off to the bank he went to apply for a mortgage to buy the house.

His big clash with reality was how much money the bank expected him to lay on the table, before they would give him a mortgage.  His savings would have been more than enough for a nice down payment on new car, but he was well short of having enough to satisfy the bank (and the other banks he talked to after being turned down).

If he had somehow gotten the bank to go along with what he had for a down payment, I suspect the house inspection part of the process would have really blown his mind.  Probably would have been ranting about how he was OK with the condition of the house, so why should the bank be insisting that various things be replaced or repaired.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My daughter won't even talk about going to college because she doesn't want to take out any student loans.

She asked me the other day how you buy a car if you don't have enough money for it all at once. I smiled and said, "well, you have to get a loan, and make payments, which means you go into debt in order to buy the car."

The look on her face when she realized that she will either have to work a lot to save up to buy her car, or go into debt was priceless.
View Quote

Teach her how to attend college for the least amount of money possible. Parents can pay cash for community college and then she can attend a 4-year school within a commutable range from home. Cost of attendance = tuition + books only.

A low interest secured loan is some of the cheapest leverage one can buy. Cars will depreciate the same regardless if you pay cash, or finance it. In a normal market, with discounts and low interest rates, a new car can be the best deal.

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:32:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Got my first mortgage without having had a credit card first.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yup. As a youngin (compared to y'all old farts) it is stupid to get a loan for everything. The only thing I "own" I wasn't able to buy outright is my house. Not my vehicles (used) we're cash purchases, my MG was cash, my machining equipment was cash and I was able to put 20% down on the house with a mortgage under 3% on the house without negatively effecting my finances. I don't have a credit card either so no reoccurring debt neither.
View Quote

Now that you’re good with managing money, it’s time to understand the power of leverage in some situations. Starting next year, my aim is to own nothing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:37:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Why would you pay cash when you could use other peoples money and then take your money and gave Uncle G

10xs YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, holy shit if you believe that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:45:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No. Young people are saving more younger than any previous generation. Their understanding of money is pretty solid.
View Quote

If they can afford too, I agree. I, my GF, gets asked a lot about 401k and investing by people in their early 20’s, something that was foreign to me at that age. Drinking (getting hammered) seems to be down as well, also foreign to me at that age.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Obviously there are some but is it that common that there needs to be a commercial for it on TV?

View Quote
I'm sure The Entitled Generation feels they should just get things like that on demand.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:55:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hmmm is right. It's a little odd to be obsessed with being called a racist if you aren't one. And bringing it to unrelated conversations is a sign of obsession.
View Quote
join date - check
post count - check
I could try to explain to you why it's not an obsession, but if you made a post like that, you're oblivious to (and maybe a cause of) the clown world around us, and you'd never grasp it anyway
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 3:22:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
lol

View Quote

I know you're here primarily to troll, but on this point, you are correct.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

Paying cash doesn’t equate afford something.

Bought a new car 5 months ago, put 20% down and financed the rest for a low interest rate. I do have more than enough liquid funds to write a check today. But that would be a very foolish thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Credit scores are a scam.
View Quote

This.
Get a loan to go into debt to get a better FICO score so you can finance more shit to go further into debt and raise your FICO score more........

Go for a 0 score, then make them do their work (manual underwriting) to get a mortgage, if needed.

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck the credit score system.

I have a great credit history, but if I don't have an active loan open my score starts to go down.

It's a bunch of bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I have 2 boys, 1 that just turned 18. He has an appt this week at our bank to get his first credit card. His 20 year old brother already has one and his credit score is in the high 700’s. Parents that are not teaching their kids are the failures. Not the kids.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Get a copy of "The Richest Man in Babylon" for your teenager. You don't need a credit card.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe they just adapt the student loan scenario.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Get a copy of "The Richest Man in Babylon" for your teenager. You don't need a credit card.
View Quote

There is a lot of stuff we do not need.  Not teaching your own kids on having a good understanding on when and how to use credit cards is denying them a useful financial tool.

Used properly, credit cards are a great financial asset to have.  Its like defensive driving.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Schools and parents fail to teach kids useful information, obsessing over stupid shit instead. Zero information about credit, filing taxes, etc, but loads of info on rhistorical acism, lgbtq, etc. While suggesting taking out $60,000 in student loans for a degree that is worthless for earning money, and parent and child alike too stupid to do 5 seconds of research to see what a liberal tard degree earns in real life.

I was a idiot at 18, but even i knew to research job opportunities and income of potentional careers / degrees before jumping in with both feet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top