BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Theres mushrooms out there that will murder death kill you within a day that mimic the safe one.

Mushrooms are out to kill you. Dont take the chance homie
View Quote

Some of them.  Some of them enlighten you, and others grow new brain cells.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok but if you have a general rule for not eating, that implies the rest are safe, and they aren't. I think you may be referring to a volva at the base of the stalk and free gills i.e. Amanita which would be especially good to avoid though.
View Quote

No, a general rule for “don’t eat this” doesn’t imply the rest are safe.  

As a general rule, snakes with triangular shaped heads (i.e. pit vipers) are poisonous.  That doesn’t imply snakes without triangular heads (elapids - coral snakes, sea snakes, cobras) aren’t poisonous.  Nor does it mean all snakes that appear to have triangular heads (hogsheads) are poisonous.  It just means if you see a triangular head, there is a high probability it is poisonous and you shouldn’t fuck with it without a good base of knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Two of the stupidest things you can post in GD are saying: "I believe in the 2nd Amendment but..." and asking: "Should I eat these random mushrooms I found?".

Both should be grounds for immediate spamming of IM box with dick pics and expulsion from the holy order.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is a very small world - I know of no examples of academic mycologists doing this over two decades. Did they do it together? Who and what university? Were they yeast molecular biologists that went on a foray once, or actual mushroom taxonomists/systemitists? Yeah, I'm kind of calling BS here.

Identifying gilled mushrooms is the hardest and you have to work them from the bottom up until you have a really broad knowledge of all of them (poisonous, edible, and not edible), then work back down to good safe edibles. It is a science though and there is absolutely no reason to screw it up.
View Quote

Well, here is an academic at Cornell describing his experience with poisoning in 2006 on the mycology blog at Cornell: https://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2006/11/22/i-survived-the-destroying-angel/.  There was also a Colorado professor who was a big mycology expert circa 2002-2005 who poisoned himself.  Now, I can’t say that either of these people were “academic mycologists” as you describe.  I’m not an expert in any fashion; but it seems abundantly clear that it can be very difficult to distinguish between edible and poisonous species once you start getting adventurous, particularly with white/cream, gilled mushrooms.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, here is an academic at Cornell describing his experience with poisoning in 2006 on the mycology blog at Cornell: https://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2006/11/22/i-survived-the-destroying-angel/.  There was also a Colorado professor who was a big mycology expert circa 2002-2005 who poisoned himself.  Now, I can't say that either of these people were "academic mycologists" as you describe.  I'm not an expert in any fashion; but it seems abundantly clear that it can be very difficult to distinguish between edible and poisonous species once you start getting adventurous, particularly with white/cream, gilled mushrooms.
View Quote
I do see what you mean by a rule for not eating (had a lot of beer last night).

Yeah, the Cornell account is on their site because their mycologist Kathie Hodge identified them for the hospital. I have met her - she would never do something so stupid (that is a really obvious mushroom).

I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't push your limits with gilled mushrooms as they certainly can kill you. The more you know comfortably however, the more you get to eat. Wanting to eat something should never enter into the equation until after you ID it though if that makes sense. You need to study all of them to really know the differences. I worked for many years with someone who was an absolute giant in the field and can only speculate on how many hundreds of species he ate over his lifetime safely. I'm only at somewhere around 150 probably but haven't been counting. Being classically trained academically and being exposed by professionals are very powerful tools against screwing up.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I do see what you mean by a rule for not eating (had a lot of beer last night).

Yeah, the Cornell account is on their site because their mycologist Kathie Hodge identified them for the hospital. I have met her - she would never do something so stupid (that is a really obvious mushroom).

I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't push your limits with gilled mushrooms as they certainly can kill you. The more you know comfortably however, the more you get to eat. Wanting to eat something should never enter into the equation until after you ID it though if that makes sense. I worked for many years with someone who was an absolute giant in the field and can only speculate on how many hundreds of species he ate over his lifetime safely. I'm only at somewhere around 150 probably but haven't been counting. Being classically trained is a very powerful tool against screwing up.

View Quote

Russians love to mushroom hunt, so that’s how I got introduced to it.  Unfortunately, their native knowledge doesn’t always transfer well to the states.

Also, you’re a bad person for drunkposting.  Nobody here does that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Russians love to mushroom hunt, so that's how I got introduced to it.  Unfortunately, their native knowledge doesn't always transfer well to the states.

Also, you're a bad person for drunkposting.  Nobody here does that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you so much so helping

Mycology is starting to get fun!

Funny enough I had an old tree in the yard and some more of those yellow ones popped up there

I wonder if it's the same group

View Quote
No problem, I enjoy helping. Post up some more pics!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top