Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 11/25/2023 12:31:47 PM EDT
RDS on pistols have gotten more popular.

Some handguns don't lend themselves to having a RDS due to design.

Others do.

Are you moving to RDS on all pistols that you can?  

Why keep any with iron sights if you don't have to?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Others do.

View Quote

Taylor Swift is popular too, doesn’t mean it’s the best option for music.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a HK P30sk to edc without a light or optic.

My Glocks and Beretta 92x both have optics and lights.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Working guns all have electronic optics.

Some of the play guns still have irons.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
No

1) iron sights are good for CC

2) I am a poor

Not exactly poor, but I can't have everything, and I have too many other things that cost money in my life. Just having ammo for an occasional range trip is a luxury these days.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope. Tried it, but didn't like it on my Sig P365 XL. Red dots are nice for long distance shooting, but I have a rifle with a red dot for that. I don't have a problem hitting a human sized target within 20 yards anyway.
For cc my dot kept getting all dirty from ball dust and pocket lint, I don't have to worry about that as much with iron sights.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No

1) iron sights are good for CC

2) I am a poor

Not exactly poor, but I can't have everything, and I have too many other things that cost money in my life. Just having ammo for an occasional range trip is a luxury these days.
View Quote
Monica
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought a HK P30sk to edc without a light or optic.

My Glocks and Beretta 92x both have optics and lights.
View Quote

You do you, and from personal experience, the P30SK is a PITA to put an optic on, but an RMR sized optic isn't going to meaningfully make it less easy to carry.

LCM-sized?  I'm with you.

Nice shooter though.  I like mine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
All my current and future carry guns have optic cuts.

Iron sights are range toys.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I can’t fit my j frame revolver or the sig 365 in my front jean pocket if it had RDS on it
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both. I practice with both.

Soon iron sights will be like driving a stick. Not popular, but a useful skill to have.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You do you, and from personal experience, the P30SK is a PITA to put an optic on, but an RMR sized optic isn't going to meaningfully make it less easy to carry.

LCM-sized?  I'm with you.

Nice shooter though.  I like mine.
View Quote

Langdon is doing optic cuts now (and I may send the P30 to them for their trigger work) but I have about 12 RMRs and an SRO now and I just don't feel like buying another for this pistol.
I do carry a small surefire pocket light to hold in my offhand should the need arise.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a PSA Dagger on my range belt that only has irons. But Glocks get dots.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Langdon is doing optic cuts now (and I may send the P30 to them for their trigger work) but I have about 12 RMRs and an SRO now and I just don't feel like buying another for this pistol.
I do carry a small surefire pocket light to hold in my offhand should the need arise.
View Quote

Langdon you say....hmmmm.   Thanks!

I just can't do irons anymore with my eyes.  I'm at the point of getting a funky prescription and trying taping an aperture over my shooting glasses to try and focus on the front sight for this 45.

So I'm RMR (and after this vortex experience, it will be RMR) all the things.  Sucks getting old.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had an RMR for my G17 for a while but still need to get it milled (also need a light). I want an RMRcc for my 48 but that'll have to take a back seat, at least I have Ameriglos on it. I never shoot my trade in 22 so that doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]
For me, irons for precision and dots for speed.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one on a Glock 41 for handgun hunting.  I can see the utility in that scenario. For a special forces operator or maybe certain police roles where you train heavily on one specific gun and get your presentation right I can see some utility there.  For someone who conceal carries a multitude of different guns it's more of a problem.  Not going to put a red dot on a j-frame I pocket carry occasionally. Not going to put one on a regular G43 where the entire point of the gun is to be small.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 pistols with dots they are both range toys. My gen 2 g19 is my ccw. It have meprolight tru-dot night sights on it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Iron sights have worked well for a long time.  They are rugged, cheap and small.  I like them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Rule number 1, never sell a gun you may never get it back.  
If you sell the gun then when you need that gun then it is gone.
What will the Grand kids have to shoot if you sell the gun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]
No.

I guess I'd consider it if I only had a couple of pistols.  With the fantastic pricing on CZ, Turkish, etc. right now I'd rather just buy more pistols than spend that money on optics.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#22]
At 55, irons are a blur.
The red dot is life.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I have both optic equipped and irons equipped slides for a couple of pistols so they can go back and forth.
They're optic fluid.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Langdon you say....hmmmm.   Thanks!

I just can't do irons anymore with my eyes.  I'm at the point of getting a funky prescription and trying taping an aperture over my shooting glasses to try and focus on the front sight for this 45.

So I'm RMR (and after this vortex experience, it will be RMR) all the things.  Sucks getting old.
View Quote

Langdon optic cut for P30 series

I love my RMRs.  I have them on my shotgun (no issues with full power loads), my AR10 offset to my scope, on top of an ACOG, and on several handguns.  I recently bought an SRO for my 92x that's optic cut (also Langdon), I got the Jagerwerks exoskeleton for it as it's not as robust as the RMRs but I do love the bigger window.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I had one RD equipped Pistol and did not like it enough to switch all of them. Switching only one messed up my presentation.

Now Irobs on every Handgun again.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Dagger full size with a suppressor. It has the taller iron sights meant to be suppressor hight.  The slide is also cut for an RMR.  I want to get an RMR but will it work with the suppressor or do I need to get some special red dot that is taller then normal?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Gonna send in a couple Glock slides to Battlewerks when I get the money. I have some debt to take care of first. Plus, I'll need not only a couple rds, but also suppressor height sights. That will add up quick. I'm doing ok, but I'm not rich or even upper middle class.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Optics for range toys and "tactical" toys.

Irons, or no sights, for CCW.   I could care less if my Trijicon dots are lit, etc.  Point and shoot.  Any further than that and I'm either evading, or using a long gun
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a few with red dots, but most of my pistols aren’t cut for them.  The cost to cut my slides and then get red dots would be prohibitively expensive since I have over 15 glocks including other brands and styles that aren’t rds ready.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I still shoot some iron sighted divisions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Irons, or no sights, for CCW.   I could care less if my Trijicon dots are lit, etc.  Point and shoot.  Any further than that and I'm either evading, or using a long gun
View Quote

Might as well get the retardation started early in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Working on it. The G43 will stay irons only.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Iron sights have worked well for a long time.  They are rugged, cheap and small.  I like them.
View Quote

Plus, irons never fail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had one on a Glock 41 for handgun hunting.  I can see the utility in that scenario. For a special forces operator or maybe certain police roles where you train heavily on one specific gun and get your presentation right I can see some utility there.  For someone who conceal carries a multitude of different guns it's more of a problem.  Not going to put a red dot on a j-frame I pocket carry occasionally. Not going to put one on a regular G43 where the entire point of the gun is to be small.
View Quote

Why should you not be training heavily with your carry gun as an armed civilian?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#35]
It’s good to be proficient with both.

I do about 50/50.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Nope, i traded my G43X MOS for a flint lock.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

With most reticles being smaller then a front sight and without the need for perfect alignment, why do you not believe optics to be capable of greater precision than irons?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Others do.

View Quote

Because they HAVE TO co-witness!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nope. Tried it, but didn't like it on my Sig P365 XL. Red dots are nice for long distance shooting, but I have a rifle with a red dot for that. I don't have a problem hitting a human sized target within 20 yards anyway.
For cc my dot kept getting all dirty from ball dust and pocket lint, I don't have to worry about that as much with iron sights.
View Quote

I don’t worry about it with an optic either.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Not putting an RDS on my compact guns, kind of defeats the purpose for me, esp. with pocket carry.
Also not getting all my other ones milled for one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I shoot better with red dots because my eyes suck so if I can put a red dot in it - it gets one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why should you not be training heavily with your carry gun as an armed civilian?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people don't think they have time to train, when in reality they don't know how to manage their time effectively.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because they HAVE TO co-witness!
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Working guns all have electronic optics.

Some of the play guns still have irons.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Most people don't think they have time to train, when in reality they don't know how to manage their time effectively.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Complete opposite for me. I’m working on my rds speed though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#48]
RDS on pistols rock!  No, not all of my pistols will have RDS.  I don’t HAVE to keep the wife I have when there are newer, more modern models available.  But I still like her they way she is.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#49]
People really overthink it.  Use RDS or don't.

There are a ton of things more important.  

1)  Have you tested your pistol in the exact configuration you're carrying it?  Same ammo, same mag, with or without light?
2)  Does your pistol shoot close to point of aim?
3)  Do you actually carry your pistol?
4)  Do you have a BUG or extra ammo?  
5)  Are you good at avoiding bad situations?  Do you have good situational awareness?  Can you defuse an argument?

There's no one-size-fits-all answer for pistol RDS.  It seems to be very advantageous for accuracy, but maybe you don't want to spend the money (e.g. you're a college student), you don't want the extra bulk (e.g. ankle or pocket carry), etc.  I'd consider getting one with a larger window and a battery that can be loaded from the top, and make sure the screws are secure.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to light the Sasha-signal if I didn't see you were already in the thread, LOL.

Might as well take 4-5 of your bullet points on RDS and sticky them to the top of GD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top