Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/27/2022 7:04:20 PM EDT
Long story short: We bought a house last June, inspected it and everything looked good. Had a water line leak between the meter and the house (our side) cost about $1,400 to have it dug up, bad connection replaced, and fixed

Now, first hard freeze and the water line has broken at multiple connections in our front yard. The plumber who looked at it told me it looked like our water service was installed by an idiot

1-1/2 schedule 40 pvc with standard glued joints...and ALL the joints are coming apart because the person who did it THEMSELF didn't know what they were doing

We bought the house from an estate, and had standard inspections done and while there were a few repairs to be made we knew what we were getting into

Finding out our water service will have to be replaced all the way from the main is about 75-yards to the house

We confronted the seller today with this information AND THE SELLER NOW ADMITS they knew "dad got an estimate and didn't want to pay to have the water line replaced so he did it himself"...The seller never mentioned this before the sale

Do we have any recourse with the sellers? Seems like this should be a disclosure item

It's not like a home inspector is going to dig up the underground water line and see what condition it's in
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
People Repair things all the time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You are SOL.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Sucks he did a poor job.

I would trench it up and repair it myself.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the disclosure form say?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit.   Just fix it....
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
You are SOL
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Most disclosure forms ask very specific questions, like when was the roof last replaced, were the shingles removed, etc.  If you can prove they lied answering one of those questions you might have a chance.  The water line is unlikely to be one of those questions.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sucks he did a poor job.

View Quote

I think you own the situation.   We bought our house 33 years ago and about a year later I came across some very shoddy wiring done by the previous owner, it cost me money, but I fixed it on my dime and fixed it right....done

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We confronted the seller today with this information AND THE SELLER NOW ADMITS they knew "dad got an estimate and didn't want to pay to have the water line replaced so he did it himself"...The seller never mentioned this before the sale

Do we have any recourse with the sellers? Seems like this should be a disclosure item

It's not like a home inspector is going to dig up the underground water line and see what condition it's in
View Quote

That's going to be a whole lot of "it depends".  Starting with, what are the Oklahoma specific real estate disclosure laws?  Is the house in a municipality that has local jurisdiction on disclosures?  Last, off the top of my head, did you buy it from the guy or the estate?  Because the road is much harder if it's from a now closed estate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sucks he did a poor job.

View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
OP you paid $1400 for one connection to be repaired? $1400 should of covered dam near the whole line.
People fix things all the time, have you not done your own repairs? Would list every repair you've done?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's going to be a whole lot of "it depends".  Starting with, what are the Oklahoma specific real estate disclosure laws?  Is the house in a municipality that has local jurisdiction on disclosures?  Last, off the top of my head, did you buy it from the guy or the estate?  Because the road is much harder if it's from a now closed estate.
View Quote

the estate is still open
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure about your state but it could be considered a redhibitory vice, and actionable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
$1400 to dig a hole and fix it seems really high. You probably could have replaced all the pipe for that amount.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Trenching here is about $5 foot. And that’s rocksawing. You could replace the entire line for close to what you paid on that $1400 repair.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sucks he did a poor job.

View Quote

This. It's plumbing, not rocket surgery. Sounds like it needs buried below the frost line anyway.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$1400 to dig a hole and fix it seems really high. You probably could have replaced all the pipe for that amount.
View Quote

He got screwed. No wonder the old guy did it all by his lonesome self.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

75 yards of trenching and PVC?

No way.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Most disclosure forms ask very specific questions, like when was the roof last replaced, were the shingles removed, etc.  If you can prove they lied answering one of those questions you might have a chance.  The water line is unlikely to be one of those questions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't look like it per the forms I found on google results.

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Long story short: We bought a house last June, inspected it and everything looked good. Had a water line leak between the meter and the house (our side) cost about $1,400 to have it dug up, bad connection replaced, and fixed

Now, first hard freeze and the water line has broken at multiple connections in our front yard. The plumber who looked at it told me it looked like our water service was installed by an idiot

1-1/2 schedule 40 pvc with standard glued joints...and ALL the joints are coming apart because the person who did it THEMSELF didn't know what they were doing

We bought the house from an estate, and had standard inspections done and while there were a few repairs to be made we knew what we were getting into

Finding out our water service will have to be replaced all the way from the main is about 75-yards to the house

View Quote

I know your pain.
Pony up and fix YOUR PROBLEM correctly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Depends on the state you are in and if that was a specific question on the disclosure.  I would chalk it up as a loss and repair it myself.  This isn't the only issue or redneck repair you will find by the way.  Welcome to home ownership.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#22]
better call saul!

Saul Gets The Better Of Jesse's Parents | I.F.T. | Breaking Bad
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol you so mad bro ??
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

the estate is still open
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the estate is still open
Contact a real estate lawyer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#25]
An inspector really on the ball would of seen that sched 40 white pvc pipe coming in.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Gluing PVC is not rocket surgery.  I don't exactly know how you screw that up.  Is PVC acceptable to code? If it is I would question your overpriced plumber is going for a big cash grab to do the whole line.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the estate is still open

Yup.  File a claim, and the estate will need to deal with it before it can close.  

And, as anyone who's been an estate executor before knows, it's a pain in the ass that you want to wrap up as fast as possible.  

That improves your odds, but I still wouldn't bank o it.  Good luck with getting it all settled.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Call your title Co. There is a reason its called Title Insurance.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are disclosure laws depending on your state.

Who the fuck uses pvc for a main?

When I built my house I installed an 1 1/4" copper main.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep and just because they knew dad did the repair doesn’t mean they knew he screwed it all up.

The guy responsible sounds like he is dead.  

Start digging.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#31]
OP - if you do hire a lawyer to pursue this, please come back when its all over and honestly tell us how it comes out, particularly in terms of how much you had to pay the lawyer to pursue a $1400 claim
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Who in their right mind would use PVC for anything other than drain waste or vent pipe?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Call your title Co. There is a reason its called Title Insurance.
View Quote

how would title insurance come into play  for what OP is describing?

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#34]
If the line is in good enough shape then pull pex through it, if you can get away with a 3/4" or 1" line. And use the new evopex fittings, they are about idiot proof.

I just trenched in 120' of 1-1/2" schedule 40 and pulled pex through it since I had a water leak in the original 3/4" pvc supply line.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Find a guy who does hydraulic splitting.  I had something similar. There was a blue plastic pipe that was supposed to last forever.  It didn't.  I found out about the class action suit after it was closed.  One morning I woke up and saw water flowing down the driveway.  A friend knows a lot of plumbers, and I got a special friends and family estimate of 18k from them.  I was not about to pay that.

I found a guy who uses a portable gas powered hydraulic pump to drive a hydraulic ram which pulls a cable with a splitter "bomb."  He had to dig a few pits into which to lower the cage the ram pulls against.

He worked a braided cable from the pit near the meter to the inside of the house at the service entrance.  He bolted the splitter on the cable, and used the ram to pull the splitter through the existing pipe.  The new pipe is bolted to the back of the splitter.  As the cable is pulled through the old pipe, it splits it and pulls the new well pipe through the space left behind by the old pipe.

There was some hand digging for the pits, and connection to the meter.  He was able to go under the driveway by digging just one pit to the side.  I did need a saw cut in another place on the driveway, and another saw cut close to the meter.

I think the whole job for about 5k.  I thought it was worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Op buy a 300-foot roll of 1inch 160 psi rated Black poly pipe then rent a small excavator from the rent all and replace it with no joints other than the two connections at each end and forget about it. Make sure you ditch is at least 2 feet deep.

Here is what to look for.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADS-1-in-x-300-ft-160-PSI-Plastic-Coil-Pipe/3514730?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-plb-_-bng-_-LIA_PLB_142_Pipe-Fittings-_-3514730-_-Local-_-0-_-0&gclid=09e16bd12c1711cdb0e7087aae4fc709&gclsrc=3p.ds&ds_rl=1286981&msclkid=09e16bd12c1711cdb0e7087aae4fc709
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#37]
It’s pvc pipe, rent a trencher and fix it. Big deal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Real water line is fairly economical.  Provided the pvc is deep enough, just run a good quality 1” or  1.25 water line in the pvc.  Worst case just rent walk behind trencher. How deep to be frost safe in OK?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#39]
how did it work prior?

sounds like your plumber is fishing for a pay day
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Who in their right mind would use PVC for anything other than drain waste or vent pipe?
View Quote

It's pretty much all we use here in SW Florida.

PVC outside, CPVC inside. A lot of newer houses are switching to PEX inside though....

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Only crazy people call the old owner like you did.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most disclosure forms ask very specific questions, like when was the roof last replaced, were the shingles removed, etc.  If you can prove they lied answering one of those questions you might have a chance. The water line is unlikely to be one of those questions.

Every disclosure form I've ever seen has a catch all asking about any work done that a permit wasn't pulled for.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Gluing PVC is not rocket surgery.  I don't exactly know how you screw that up.  Is PVC acceptable to code? If it is I would question your overpriced plumber is going for a big cash grab to do the whole line.
View Quote
I was wondering the same thing, but the OP didsay there was a hard freeze.  Maybe expansion.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I ran 300 feet of water line at my old house. Was I supposed to disclose this ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
how did it work prior?

sounds like your plumber is fishing for a pay day
View Quote

he sounds like con artist.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#46]
At best you will get paid a few bucks to go away.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Holy shit.   Just fix it....
View Quote

Rent a mini excavator, dig the trench, buy the correct material, rent the tool to that seals the deal.  Or skip all that and pay a plumber a nice chunk of change to do all of the above.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Check your closing documents.  That's the contract between buyer and seller.  
In 99% of sales, those documents say that the property is being "sold as-is", with no warranty.   That means you are Shit Out of Luck.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
You need to get multiple quotes when you have the line replaced, don't expect that $1400 guy to be the cheapest.
And don't expect to find a way for the estate to be on the hook.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Just fix it.

Better luck pissing up a rope.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top