User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That must have been a hell of a boom.  

It was. I live about a half mile away.

Hope all is ok at your house. You aren't that far from me. I live University of Indianapolis area. If you ever see a white lifted f250 with a bolt face on the back window be sure to wave.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So stop posting links with facts

You must be a union gas company employee so I will just save you the time and post part of the link.

"If a gas leak occurs in underground piping, the surrounding soil or fresh concrete can absorb or oxidize the odorant so that the gas no longer has an odor. As a result, gas leaking from an underground pipe may not be detectable by smell."

In my area the The gas company comes out if a customer calls. The gas company sends a guy with a detector who then most of the time will just say they detected something and shut off the gas.

Then they tag the meter out and tell the customer to call a contractor to come out and find and repair leaks.

We come out find and repair any leaks and wait for the gas company to come back out and clock meter and recheck with a detector. If all good gas gets turned back on.

You seem to look down on the common working tradesman so what do you do for a living any way.

I AM a common working tradesman. Non-union.

Natural gas IS what I do for a living. What you posted simply isn't true, I don't give a shit how "factual" you think your info is.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Well then explain to me why some times there are gas leaks we can not smell. I have been on many with the the gas company involved.
I have to go to classes to keep my license were this very  subject comes up.
Why are there documents provided by the gas industry saying that what I posted is true.
You have not countered my argument with any facts other then "I don't give a shit how "factual" you think your info is"
By the way it's not my info. It is info from YOUR industry.
Here is more non factual info for you
jon101st propaganda
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
26 homes condemned .... Damn.  

What happens?  Do the structures studs roof etc get cracked by the force of the explosion?

Probably pushed of the foundation.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens?  Do the structures studs roof etc get cracked by the force of the explosion?

Some houses may have been condemned just because  knowone wanted to take the liabilty if something later happened to one of the homes they inspected.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They said many around them were moved off the foundation. There were people saying they couldn't even open their front door because the house was so fucked....could just walk out the back sliding glass door though, because it wasn't there anymore. Several had their garage doors blown in and the siding was ripped off others. It was violent.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They said many around them were moved off the foundation. There were people saying they couldn't even open their front door because the house was so fucked....could just walk out the back sliding glass door though, because it wasn't there anymore. Several had their garage doors blown in and the siding was ripped off others. It was violent.

That's unreal might as well been a tornado go through there

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well then explain to me why some times there are gas leaks we can not smell. I have been on many with the the gas company involved.
Why are there documents provided by the gas industry saying that what I posted is true.
You have not countered my argument with any facts other then "I don't give a shit how "factual" you think your info is"
jon101st propaganda

*sigh*

You're right. Dirt filters the odor out of odorized NG escaping from a underground break. I'll adjust procedures as necessary tomorrow.

Have a nice evening.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
jon101st propaganda

*sigh*

You're right. Dirt filters the odor out of odorized NG escaping from a underground break. I'll adjust procedures as necessary tomorrow.

Have a nice evening.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm not right my info is right

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys should start another thread and stop fucking up this one
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You guys should start another thread and stop fucking up this one

You are right about that My original post was all I was going to post in this thread. I have several close family members in the Indy area.
And we had an incident here that involved a natural gas explosion that killed two people know one could smell due to it being underground.
My post in this thred from now on will be on topic.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Lets see... within 2-3 hours of occurrance... Central Indiana had a gym full of food and supplies for the people involved.

No body crying for .gov to save the day.

Firefighters and utilities getting the job done.

No riots in the street.

No body crying to make NG illegal.

Even though I am originally from Colorado...

Gotta say... Indiana is "good people".
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Lets see... within 2-3 hours of occurrance... Central Indiana had a gym full of food and supplies for the people involved.

No riots in the street.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Holy shit.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

this is EXACTLY why i won't live in subdision with homes that close together.

I thought that was because you're a sexual deviant that peeps into people's windows at night.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No riots in the street.

Yep, people here are great. And a lot of this was at 1-3am They have actually gotten so many donations they are telling people to stop. Wow.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that was because you're a sexual deviant that peeps into people's windows at night.

Hell, that's EXACTLY why I do live in a subdivision.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

FTA:  
Indianapolis Fire, Indianapolis Police, the ATF, Homeland Security and other agencies are investigating. A gas leak is suspected but investigators have not yet been able to get close enough to the source to confirm the cause.

The ATF and Homeland Security?

Normal for an incident like this.  And who knows what they mean by "Homeland Security."  They might mean federal DHS or Indiana DHS, which covers fire, police, and EMS.

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the Helvetica view looks like?

snort...took me a second

chortle...took me two posts.  Helluva way to make toothpicks.

My sympathies to the families.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Just seen on the news that it is not a gas leak !
So now what?  Are we going with the meth lab???
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:46:12 AM EDT
[#25]
thats a gas boom....
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#26]
On channel 9 news out of Cinci. they just said that it WAS NOT a NG leak or explosion.  The Gas has been ruled out.

I did not say that the news did.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are we still not allowed to make jokes about Islam?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:52:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we still not allowed to make jokes about Islam?

lol, IDK.  Just say man made _________?  and your good.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:56:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Ammo fort went up?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:12:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Holy shit!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Odorant is a mix, and under certain conditions, the strength (smellability) may fade.

Brief technical overview

Bear in mind that odorant is detectable at concentration far below LEL/LFL.  There are several mercaptans, and the threshold for human detection by smell is in the ppb to low ppm range.

5% (lower explosive/flammable limit) in contrast is 50,000 ppm.

A house ready to kaboom would have more than enough mercaptans to smell worse than a congressman's promise.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#32]
just a heads up for people, I am an ac contractor and I personally know of 3 houses that had the fireplaces remote control gas logs come on by themselves causing extensive damage to the homes. the valve may have malfunctioned filling the space with gas and then something set it off

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Heard a radio report on the way to work this a.m.  Gas company is going Bart Simpson.

Does that make the fall back cause Glock or beans in the chilli?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn. That's a kaboom
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:58:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No riots in the street.

The stupid is strong in this post.  Now multiply the disaster to the size of Indianapolis and see if the same is true.  These is a bit of a difference in scale here.  I'm sure if you were in charge in New York City or New Orleans it all would have been made good in a day or so.  Perhaps you are in the wrong profession.  

For the record, I have found that pretty much all the people in the Midwest are good people.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Heard a radio report on the way to work this a.m.  Gas company is going Bart Simpson.

http://02varvara.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/01-bart-simpson-i-didnt-do-it-e1286561352317.jpg

Does that make the fall back cause Glock or beans in the chilli?

Leaks don't fix themselves, especially outside one's.I can absolutely guarantee every service and main around those houses were walked and bar checked for leaks. If it was gas related, it would be after the meter and on the customer owned side. To create that size of explosion, especially if it was only one house that initially exploded, you'd almost HAVE to have a severed or completely open fuel line inside and there is absolutely no way the customers [if they were there] could not smell it unless they all had massive head colds. These are not little houses and to get the percentages needed to actually explode, you'd need a massive leak on the customer side because the pressure is only 1/4 pound or 7 inches of water column.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The debris field looks like the house on the top exploded, not so sure on the lower one as it doesn't have much of a debris field.

I think two blew.  One went and the other went sympathetically.  I do not think meth labs blow with that much force.  In truth it looks like a surface blast of ANFO or something with more "push" than "crack"  Even a gas leak will level a house but that exceeds every home gas explosion I've seen pictures of.

Looks like a bomb lab from the middle east.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#38]
ho
lee
shit
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Several years ago I 'm downstairs in basement getting ready for work , having coffee ,smoke surfing arfcom and finally wake up enough for the smell to get through my clogged head , , valve on boiler was leaking, wife was oh I thought I'd smelt gas last night but you had a long day so I didn't wake you up
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No riots in the street.

The stupid is strong in this post.  Now multiply the disaster to the size of Indianapolis and see if the same is true.  These is a bit of a difference in scale here.  I'm sure if you were in charge in New York City or New Orleans it all would have been made good in a day or so.  Perhaps you are in the wrong profession.  

For the record, I have found that pretty much all the people in the Midwest are good people.

+1

you have gyms to put the shit in, in the first place....

situation sucks, midwest peeps are good to go for the most part.... stupid post though
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Several years ago I 'm downstairs in basement getting ready for work , having coffee ,smoke surfing arfcom and finally wake up enough for the smell to get through my clogged head , , valve on boiler was leaking, wife was oh I thought I'd smelt gas last night but you had a long day so I didn't wake you up

You have no idea how many gas leak calls we run where the customer has smelled it for days or weeks and finally decided to call it in.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#42]
According to this;

Huge Explosion In Indianapolis Still A Mystery

The cause of the explosion is still a mystery, 18 hours later. Authorities said they don’t have an idea of what caused it, but are not ruling anything out.

City officials estimated damage at $3.5 million. A local gas utility said an initial inspection found no gas leaks in the area.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I couldn't believe the time my neighbor called in an underground gas leak in his service entrance at ~10pm on a Friday night. Within an hour, two 3-axle trucks, one pulling a Bobcat with hoe (which was hilarious to watch him weave down our narrow street and then not even use), and a crew cab pickup of manual labor showed up. It was like something out of Indiana Jones, 8+ guys digging the hole together, by morning, there was already seed and straw on the disturbed ground.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Insurance scam?  

They call it "......... lightning"...

I don't believe it was lightning...

I think it was a case where the mortgage and insurance papers were filed together too closely and they started rubbing together.

Fire by friction, so to speak.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I really want to know what caused this.  I have seen 2 reports now that say NG has been ruled out....

And what's the so called coating that is all over everything?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#46]
gas.  damn.  that's a hell of an explosion.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

you finally managed to light a fart?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No riots in the street.

the FAIL is strong in what you said. people here are different. this is one example. he is right , nobody is or has been flippin out about govt. response.
the proof is around us on this one. Indiana people are way different. I grew up on the east coast so i do have something to judge by.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, because you know, that happens all the time.  Nearly as often as being hit by a meteorite.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top