Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its been awhile since I looked the stoner guns up, but if I recall the gun can be converted back and forth from a rifle to a belt and vice versa

My god it just looks so damn good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but a belt fed.  God damn I want a belt fed Stoner and a binary trigger.
Its been awhile since I looked the stoner guns up, but if I recall the gun can be converted back and forth from a rifle to a belt and vice versa

My god it just looks so damn good.
That’s correct, but the top cover/feed tray parts are almost nonexistent.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I pretty sure I remember the "Armalite"company name was bought by Eagle Arms many many years ago. The Armalite company today is NOT the same as the original. I believe they would need to start from scratch on the tooling.

Someone correct me.........
View Quote

Just like Jeep?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mostly correct. Armalite was non operational when Mark Westrom founder of Eagle Arms bought Armalite. Most of the the tooling then located in the Philippines was not worth the cost of transport back the US. What was brought back totaled barely two truck loads. The Lions share of the value was in the intellectual property, production and engineering files and of course the corporation and it's name. Mark Westrom did make good use of it all. Eagle arms hardware and facilities along with the two truck loads were to used to revive Armalite with Eagle Arms later becoming a subsidiary.

To believe Armalite of today is the same Armalite of 1954 is equally inaccurate as believing Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC of today is the same Colt's Patent Fire Arms of 1855.

Colt has been bought, sold, bankrupt, merged and spun off numerous times. They've made non gun products for other companies when times were tough. They made things except for when natural disasters and strikes shut down production. Today's Colt is not the same as the original Colt but they do have history and the blue dome of Hartford.

In response to the OP question  ~"are you a buyer" Yes to all three choices. The 180 is a good design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I pretty sure I remember the "Armalite"company name was bought by Eagle Arms many many years ago. The Armalite company today is NOT the same as the original. I believe they would need to start from scratch on the tooling.

Mostly correct. Armalite was non operational when Mark Westrom founder of Eagle Arms bought Armalite. Most of the the tooling then located in the Philippines was not worth the cost of transport back the US. What was brought back totaled barely two truck loads. The Lions share of the value was in the intellectual property, production and engineering files and of course the corporation and it's name. Mark Westrom did make good use of it all. Eagle arms hardware and facilities along with the two truck loads were to used to revive Armalite with Eagle Arms later becoming a subsidiary.

To believe Armalite of today is the same Armalite of 1954 is equally inaccurate as believing Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC of today is the same Colt's Patent Fire Arms of 1855.

Colt has been bought, sold, bankrupt, merged and spun off numerous times. They've made non gun products for other companies when times were tough. They made things except for when natural disasters and strikes shut down production. Today's Colt is not the same as the original Colt but they do have history and the blue dome of Hartford.

In response to the OP question  ~"are you a buyer" Yes to all three choices. The 180 is a good design.
I thought Mark bought EA from Carl Lewis.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Make it close the original as possible but with AR mag compatibility and an optic rail, and I’m in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@QCMGR

You used to work there, give us the straight poop.
View Quote
@mike_nds

Which part?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If they or anyone did it would be in the $5K range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw a AR180

Someone start making the stoner rifle

Good god my pants got tight

That happens so rarely these days I was about to ask my doctor if theres a problem
If they or anyone did it would be in the $5K range.
Take my money now
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make it close the original as possible but with AR mag compatibility and an optic rail, and I’m in.
View Quote
This plus a reinforced folder mechanism and make the lower aluminum / upper steel. PLEASE!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Stamped....yes

Plastic....No
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You put lipstick on your guns, too?

I don't understand why anyone cares about a gun's aesthetics. It's a fucking tool with one job: To kill shit.
View Quote
That's what this thread is about. AR-180s are mostly nostalgia. No one buys one because they think it is better for fighting than an AR-15.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If they were to go back to the original stamped steel/welded lower construction ---that Id be interested in, but I know it would also push the price way up.
View Quote
Ironically the point of that construction was low cost.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Armalite has been irrelevant for the last 15 years. They’re not going to bring anything worthwhile to market.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw that movie on a flight from Columbia to the US in 1976 when I just turned 14. One of my first commercial flights. The stewardesses were hot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At the time it was produced, stamped sheet metal was faster, cheaper, and easier to shape than aluminum extrusions. That’s not true anymore, hence today’s brand new $400 AR15s.
View Quote
Sure, but we could make stamped cheap too, it is just that we have other ways of doing things that are better. Stamped metal stuff seems to have issues when put to long service.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Biggest factor is price.
View Quote
This

less than $1k= in

Also has to be true to original.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From a historical standpoint, I'm mostly interested in what remnants of the original Armalite company assets were even usable.

That, and what were the total "B" model production numbers. There doesn't seem to a definitive source on the web.

You have stated in the past that they made a forging die for the lower, do you think that would have saved the rifle from being discontinued? Or was it moot by that point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mike_nds

Which part?
From a historical standpoint, I'm mostly interested in what remnants of the original Armalite company assets were even usable.

That, and what were the total "B" model production numbers. There doesn't seem to a definitive source on the web.

You have stated in the past that they made a forging die for the lower, do you think that would have saved the rifle from being discontinued? Or was it moot by that point.
From what I remember:

ArmaLite and its intellectual property had been floating around for years.  I think Reed Knight had been looking at it but Mark ended up contacting the old President and ended up with ArmaLite.

The new ArmaLite was able to contact some of the old employees from ArmaLite and were able to aquire a lot of information that was thought to be lost.  I believe their was tooling but I forgot if it was serviceable.

The only tools I am familiar with seeing were the gauge fixtures they acquired from Colt.

The AR-180B was meant to be a low cost alternative to the premium M-15 line.  $480.00 vs something like $800 - $1000 for M-15s.

I may have the data from the time I worked there but you might be able to extrapolate the AR10B data from the ATF numbers.

As far as the AR-180B goes...

I think sales were flat and the forged receiver with all the upgrades would have pushed the price near $1K.  It a beautiful forging.  As far as I know, the die still exists!

Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Armalite has been irrelevant for the last 15 years. They’re not going to bring anything worthwhile to market.
View Quote
Really...did ArmaLite touch you?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#19]
True to original?  Maybe.  I don’t really see the point of making on in milled AL.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#20]
200$ right? Lol, maybe if it’s under 1600
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

I think I’m good but would probably still be tempted depending on price but only if original style.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I found a ar 18 mag just the other day.
Shh don't tell the king's men.
If anyone has interest pm me
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a B.
Gotta remember to buy one of spuds, receivers.
Mine is set up with the sormworks hinge and folds.

I'd buy another if they had a rail.
My MI mount was shit and so no optic mounted on mine.

It would be real simple to make a version that utilized AR barrels and hand guards.
Steel or Aluminum lower.
Ar mags.

How about an AR18?
That was 308 size right?
That would rock.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is a Canada specific variant with features for Canada laws. Very stupid and ugly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That is a Canada specific variant with features for Canada laws. Very stupid and ugly.
We don't have a law requiring our guns to be that ugly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How about an AR18?
That was 308 size right?
That would rock.
View Quote
That’s was an AR-16
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File
Bought a 180b a while back for 400$ just kinda wanted it , it shoots well though
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Armalite plans to reintroduce their AR-180. Are you a buyer IF?
View Quote
IF it doesn't cost more than a comparable AR. Brownell's $800+ upper is wildly overpriced.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IF it doesn't cost more than a comparable AR. Brownell's $800+ upper is wildly overpriced.
View Quote
that price is list price.

BRN-180 uppers were on sale for about $650 with coupon and discounts. $650 range is very reasonable.

one model was about $576 on sale with discounts a short time ago.

Brownells is teasing with something NEW in the BRN-180 line for shot show. Should be GOOD.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Give me a K1 upper on a K2 lower and we can call it perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/ps9ns4h.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a 180B and was never impressed. Sold it at a loss. My Daewoo K2 is everything a AR-180 wished it could be.
Give me a K1 upper on a K2 lower and we can call it perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/ps9ns4h.jpg
Yes holy crap yes!

ETA:  and yes, I would likely buy a new AR-180, if the price is below $1k.  And it has to be a metal lower.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You are correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.

No company is the same as the original.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Not if it's the shitty plastic "B" model. Had one, it was a turd. Molded incorrectly, mags wobbled so bad I had feed issues until I used an epoxy & some creative sanding to get things to seat correctly. The buttstock literally fell off the "nub" it was glued to on the first range trip.

I was never so angry at myself for buying a gun as that thing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I love the AR-18/180 series. I have a Sterling and a 180B. Wouldn’t trade either.

I didn’t think the 180b was a bad rifle at all. I never had the problems with the lower some have reported, and I did everything you’re not supposed to before I knew better. If they had really “de-banned” them, had a folding stock, a metal lower(like the nds-18)and a picatinny rail in place of the original scope mount, I think they’d have sold better. You’d have a rifle that handles like the original, but with some updated features. Sounds like a lot, but really those are fairly small changes. Using AR fcg parts, like the 180b did is a no-brainer.

I’d love to see Armalite come out with a new one. My opinion is that it should be patterned after the original, but it need not be an exact clone. Obviously this day in age, there is no need for a proprietary magazine, an ar mag would be best. Maybe have a “tactical handguard” available for those that want it, but for sure have the rifle available with handguards similar to the original. Beyond that, the changes to the 180b would make it pretty close to ideal. In a perfect world, I’d like to see them do a 180S model as well.

I don’t buy very many new guns. But if they did this right, I’d definitely buy a new AR-180. So long as it’s really a 180 and not 3/4 AR15.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had one of those with a folding stock back in the early '80's. To be honest I didn't shoot it much, and sold it off to fund other projects.

I liked the folding stock, though. I don't even remember what magazines it took.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

Had a Sterling for awhile and it was OK.
I had one of those with a folding stock back in the early '80's. To be honest I didn't shoot it much, and sold it off to fund other projects.

I liked the folding stock, though. I don't even remember what magazines it took.
I'd love to have one of the Sterling's as I knew someone who worked for them in the UK
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Sub-$750 with AR mags and sure.  No to those and lmfao no.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Something about the carbine version speaks to me.

Like it's screams post-apocalypse assault rifle.

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:44:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Depends on price and form factor.  Possibly yes.  Needs to use AR magazines and have a folding stock similar to the original for me to be interested.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:37:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a B.

It would be real simple to make a version that utilized AR barrels and hand guards.
Steel or Aluminum lower.
Ar mags.

How about an AR18?
That was 308 size right?
That would rock.
View Quote
AR16 - the AR18 was developed from it.

Project I'm involved with.......

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#40]
It'd be on my guns I totally want but will probably never get to list.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/0GwfLDi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MXhtsun.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a B.

Steel or Aluminum lower.
Ar mags.

How about an AR18?
That was 308 size right?
That would rock.

OK- tell more now!  That looks awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

BRN-180 uppers were on sale for about $650 with coupon and discounts. $650 range is very reasonable.

Brownells is teasing with something NEW in the BRN-180 line for shot show. Should be GOOD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope it is a .308 BRN-180.

Would they call it the BRN-160?
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hrungg
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:21:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Look at how MarColMar is doing the Cetme L's and LC's and do it that way.  All original features, with fantastic quality, and a low profile optional rail for optics...perfect.
Do it right and it could probably find it's way in among these guys...  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I already told Mark Westrom they should just buy NDS-18S lowers from us.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Firearms have advanced since the AR-180.   While I like all sorts of retro rifles, it is difficult for manufacturers to make money re-introducing firearms that went out of production years ago.

Usually, firearms go out of production because there are advances in firearms design, or other firearms shooters prefer to buy.  If a firearm (like the original AR-180) was still making profit for the company, they would probably still be making them.  It may not be a wise financial venture to re-introduce a firearm that went out of production because it wasn't selling well.

With all that said, I think it is neat when a classic design that has been out of production gets re-introduced.  However, the new firearm has to be priced low enough to encourage buyers to spend their money.  The re-introduction of the 30-06 caliber, semi-auto only BAR is such a firearm.  While they are very cool, they are far too expensive for me to justify spending my limited firearms budget on one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Will have the right look, and be reasonably priced?
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I would get an AR-180 only if they redesigned it to accept standard AR magazines, had a threaded flash hider, has the original AR-180 look (not the Brownells abomination), and a folding stock!
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#50]
If it takes AR mags, I'll get on for funsies, sure.

What I really want is a modernized Daewoo K1A1. Folding stock AND DI with a fixed ejector? Boi, SiGn Me tHeEe FuUcCK uP.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top