User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've ended up with a stupid amount of fixed blades in my gun safe.  Always thought to myself "yeah, I'm totally using this one for work!"  Then get it home and think "this is too nice to fuck up in the ocean or in the field".  My last two deployments to Iraq I just carried a folder clipped in my pocket and a small fixed blade neck knife.  I mean 90% of what you're using a knife for in the field is opening MRE's and cutting 550 cord.
View Quote
First NCO I met at 7th Group carried a Swiss and didn’t even have a fixed blade. I was showing him my $300 knife and he was polite but I could tell he was thinking, I didn’t have a clue
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've been told (by a former SEAL officer) that despite getting slots, it's rare for SEALs to go to Ranger School...
View Quote
How about a navy seal, green beret delta force guy. The stuff gun show legends are made of....

Kevin Holland.
Bad mother fucker.

Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First NCO I met at 7th Group carried a Swiss and didn’t even have a fixed blade. I was showing him my $300 knife and he was polite but I could tell he was thinking, I didn’t have a clue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've ended up with a stupid amount of fixed blades in my gun safe.  Always thought to myself "yeah, I'm totally using this one for work!"  Then get it home and think "this is too nice to fuck up in the ocean or in the field".  My last two deployments to Iraq I just carried a folder clipped in my pocket and a small fixed blade neck knife.  I mean 90% of what you're using a knife for in the field is opening MRE's and cutting 550 cord.
20 year old me thought I had to carry a footlong fixed blade on every op. It's actually not a bad idea on a combat swimmer mission, but for everything else.....meh.  My nicest Gerber knife I used to dive with is laying somewhere on the bottom of San Diego Bay.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Big Guy upstairs has a way of keeping me humble and able to laugh at myself.
View Quote
Also the ocean reminds me of that too Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I didn’t know if they were still doing it.
Googled up this:

And
View Quote
There’s a gift shop at Smoke Bomb Hill that OP can check out. Most of it is ....... but there’s a few small gems in there. I used to buy cards to mail before everyone stopped using postage for personal contact and texting took over
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I imagine most SEALs are like yourself, and are humble men.

I look forward to reading your posts in the future, and welcome aboard.
View Quote
100% concur
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From the guys I know, a knife and a retainer for a good divorce attorney sounds about right.
View Quote
sigh
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nah, I went to Ranger School to get my Tab.  I got my Trident several months after BUD/S and SQT (called STT way back when).
View Quote
You happen to know LT Cmdr Bxxx Neuxxxn? Full name obscured for public forum
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My father in-law gave me artwork.  There are lots of really nice paintings of SF guys doing SF things out there if you Google for it.  The framing will probably cost you more than the print.
View Quote
If someone lives in earthquake country, be smarter than me and use earthquake designed wall hangers. I had to learn the from experience
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A really nice pair of flip-flops.
View Quote
Those $1 ones disintegrate on the way to the shower
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You happen to know LT Cmdr Bxxx Neuxxxn? Full name obscured for public forum
View Quote
I PM'd you but your message box is full.  Don't want to derail OP's thread any more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Slice of pizza and a hooker. A nice one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Tell me about that other 10%.....
View Quote
Cutting wire Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just get him a grill or something (after he moves!) for his house when he moves.
View Quote
Wife got this one
George Foreman G5 30second commercial
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

SFQC graduate gift suggestions

Knife- Gerber MkII good luck charm (Non-serated blade model).....I've carried one on every combat deployment since 1991 and I'm still alive....

Watch - a nice Seiko....carried one on every deployment since 1994...didn't wear in 2002..got wounded!  Should have worn that damn watch on that day!

Pistol..browning high power...nothing says old school SF classy like a P-35 BHP.  I've still go mine from my Team's 1999 group purchase...thank you Browning firearms in Utah for making that affordable and with 12 consecutive SN's.  After 911, a lot of the Team's took advantage of the inexpensive engraving offered by SIG and bought P-226's with SF crest and call signs, but I still like the old school BHP.

Others - 1K US saving's bond.

Disclaimer...I'm not a Navy SEAL, nor did I write any cool books, however for a very brief time I was my younger brother's (18A) Team Sergeant (18Z50)...how cool and confusing was that!

When he left the nest for his first first combat tour, I gave him my lucky 1987 vintage Gerber MkII as a good luck charm...He's still alive..so there is that!
View Quote
My 2 cents would be a dive watch if OP goes the watch route
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Three recommendations:

- nice pistol like a 1911 or one of the new Sigs

- nice automatic dive watch

- high end folding knife

All SF guys love watches, knives, and guns. It’s in our blood. Also blondes with nice racks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Slice of pizza and a hooker. A nice one.
View Quote
There you go!
Nobody likes a nasty slice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not what I was envisioning or hoping for
View Quote
I cut wire, cable and rope.....lots of wire, cables and rope
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I recently found an old canvas claymore bag with the old demo knife (I forget the nomenclature) in it. The bag cleaned up well and the knife is my next project.
View Quote
Neat
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was petrified of being eaten by a shark my whole 20 years. In 1st Phase during hydro recon we were shuffling down the beach with boats on our heads going to do a training mission very shortly after Hell Week.  Literally ran by a sea lion that had to be 300 pounds.  Had it's head bitten off and laying there on the beach as the sun was going down.  Fucking creepy as shit getting in the water that night.
View Quote
Seal head popped up onto my leg surfing, then fin passes in front of me and I see bubbles arms reach on my left, I froze, then finally boogie boarded my surfboard towards the beach but panicked, board flipped and nailed me in the balls, so I spent 5 minutes crying in the foamy surf 5 yards from land
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

20 year old me thought I had to carry a footlong fixed blade on every op. It's actually not a bad idea on a combat swimmer mission, but for everything else.....meh.  My nicest Gerber knife I used to dive with is laying somewhere on the bottom of San Diego Bay.  
View Quote
I feel your pain
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I PM'd you but your message box is full.  Don't want to derail OP's thread any more.
View Quote
Shit, that’s on me, I’ll unfuck that this week and PM you
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, 4 pages of watches, knives and guns and my suggestion is dive watch if OP wants to do those or as most of the long tabbed guys are suggesting a or some none weapon like a grill, hotel for OP’s brother & wife at a nice location, display art or case {I’ve seen some impressive ones on love me walls} plus old school, an engraved lighter Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#24]
One of my best friends graduated in 2002, and for his 1st deployment to Iraq, I gave him this watch.

Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I carried a vintage tomahawk for years.  It was hand forged and a gift that I cherished.  Google up beaver bill forge, you will not be disappointed!
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How about a navy seal, green beret delta force guy. The stuff gun show legends are made of....

Kevin Holland.
Bad mother fucker.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/5864DECF-E253-4A0A-BC8E-D6E7F0270379-1098267.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told (by a former SEAL officer) that despite getting slots, it's rare for SEALs to go to Ranger School...

Kevin Holland.
Bad mother fucker.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/5864DECF-E253-4A0A-BC8E-D6E7F0270379-1098267.jpg
and then some..
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I carried a vintage tomahawk for years.  It was hand forged and a gift that I cherished.  Google up beaver bill forge, you will not be disappointed!
View Quote
Not a bad idea at all.  I had another member of SOCNET make me a tomahawk by hand (took months though).  Curly maple handle and engraved blade.  Hanging up on my wall.  Maybe check something like that out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There’s a gift shop at Smoke Bomb Hill that OP can check out. Most of it is ....... but there’s a few small gems in there. I used to buy cards to mail before everyone stopped using postage for personal contact and texting took over
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t know if they were still doing it.
Googled up this:

And
Mind running me through what Smoke Bomb Hill is? I've only actually been down to Fort Bragg/ Fayettville once
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Right now I'm thinking that I'll end up getting him one of the watches that have been mentioned, and see about getting a backplate engraved for it. Maybe also something like the multi tool that was mentioned, and one of my original M3 Trench Knives that he's liked to finger fuck when he's up here on leave

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

100% concur
View Quote
Worked with enough doing task force to know they are good people.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mind running me through what Smoke Bomb Hill is? I've only actually been down to Fort Bragg/ Fayettville once
View Quote
The Special Warfare museum is located there. It’s where SF started at Fort Bragg, NC and the gift store is there. Usuall stuff cups, sweatshirts, etc. but there’s a couple unique higher end items on the shelves and in the case by the register assuming nothing has changed since I was last there. Also if you want engraved stuff or displays or info the staff there can usually refer you to a POC. It’s open to civilians, assuming you get access to the post. The other idea that I didn’t mention as it’s more for a retiree or those we’ve lost is the Airborne museum will engrave the name and info {unit, awards, etc} onto the facility grounds for like $1,000. There’s a fancy gift store there but I spent too much time checking out the museum to see it before it closed. I peeked as I exited after closing
https://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_9003.pdf Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Special Warfare museum is located there. It’s where SF started at Fort Bragg, NC and the gift store is there. Usuall stuff cups, sweatshirts, etc. but there’s a couple unique higher end items on the shelves and in the case by the register assuming nothing has changed since I was last there. Also if you want engraved stuff or displays or info the staff there can usually refer you to a POC. It’s open to civilians, assuming you get access to the post. The other idea that I didn’t mention as it’s more for a retiree or those we’ve lost is the Airborne museum will engrave the name and info {unit, awards, etc} onto the facility grounds for like $1,000. There’s a fancy gift store there but I spent too much time checking out the museum to see it before it closed. I peeked as I exited after closing
https://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_9003.pdf https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/9BA1FBC9-E6D3-4D64-AF1E-DDA1AE918F05_jpeg-1098591.JPG https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/8F29E291-199D-4899-8CDC-2871C12FAD27_jpeg-1098592.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_9003.pdf https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/9BA1FBC9-E6D3-4D64-AF1E-DDA1AE918F05_jpeg-1098591.JPG https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/8F29E291-199D-4899-8CDC-2871C12FAD27_jpeg-1098592.JPG
That's awesome and definitely something that I'll be trying to checkout. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Right now I'm thinking that I'll end up getting him one of the watches that have been mentioned, and see about getting a backplate engraved for it. Maybe also something like the multi tool that was mentioned, and one of my original M3 Trench Knives that he's liked to finger fuck when he's up here on leave

Thanks guys
View Quote
Fort Ord had a surplus store off Highway 1 along the Pacific coast that had WW1 & WW2 era knives about 20 minutes north of downtown Monterey. It was like a museum. The staff let me spend hours examining them. My ex wife hated it as much as I got bored with her purse and shoe shopping weekends
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's awesome and definitely something that I'll be trying to checkout. Thanks
View Quote
The other museum I mentioned is located off post in Fayetteville
Airborne & Special Operations Museum Tour | Fayetteville NC
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neat pic - 1965?
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Half face blades makes some really nice stuff
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Neat pic - 1965?
View Quote
I think March1966 {but not my pic, illustrative purposes for OP’s query}
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think March1966 {but not my pic, illustrative purposes for OP’s query}
View Quote
Somewhere I have a pic of my Pop, same timeframe on Smoke Bomb Hill.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Funny.  I have my Kim Breed knife I have next to me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Somewhere I have a pic of my Pop, same timeframe on Smoke Bomb Hill.
View Quote
That’s serious history you have.

I need to buy a high rated fire protection portable safe for important documents & pictures. Ex wife took the one we had and I haven’t gotten round to replacing it
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Kevin Holland.
Bad mother fucker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kevin Holland.
Bad mother fucker.

There was a seal that graduated in my ranger class.

I'd go fixed blade, with monogram, or class number, Tracker Dan Karashark, Half Face Blades knife, RMJ Range 37, Spartan Blades knife, get a blade length 3-4 inches with 6-9" overall length, anything too big and he won't carry it routinely, anything too small and possibly the same thing.

Q course is the first phase, if that where he is he has a ways to go before being SF. When he makes it those units gives them everything they need, special clothes, and gear to include GPS, helmets, eye pro, all of it is paid for; the gift you give should be an heirloom.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That’s serious history you have.

I need to buy a high rated fire protection portable safe for important documents & pictures. Ex wife took the one we had and I haven’t gotten round to replacing it
View Quote
There are a decent number of second generation guys in the Legion. Prob one of the best days of my life was my Pop attending my Q course grad, he being former 5th SFG VN vet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There was a seal that graduated in my ranger class.

I'd go fixed blade, with monogram, or class number, Tracker Dan Karashark, Half Face Blades knife, RMJ Range 37, Spartan Blades knife, get a blade length 3-4 inches with 6-9" overall length, anything too big and he won't carry it routinely, anything too small and possibly the same thing.

Q course is the first phase, if that where he is he has a ways to go before being SF. When he makes it those units gives them everything they need, special clothes, and gear to include GPS, helmets, eye pro, all of it is paid for; the gift you give should be an heirloom.
View Quote
Partly correct - the Q -course graduation is held at the end of Robin Sage and the guys get their beret and tab. They then have 6 months of language, SERE, and Free Fall. But for all practical purposes the graduation is the big milestone.
We will give him all the toys (ie kit). But boots, knives watches, etc are largely personal purchase. The exception being deployment related good deals.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:Prob one of the best days of my life was my Pop attending my Q course grad, he being former 5th SFG VN vet.
View Quote
Very significant.  Glad you could have that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He's married, but the food and drinks will definitely be happening
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anytime I finished a long training stint (not SF myself) I could have given a fuck about knives and tomahawks and bullshit that had to do with the army.

I wanted a shower and real food, hard liquor and to spend time with my family and friends. And of course get laid.

Take your brother out for a nice dinner, give him a good bottle of scotch and go hunting for poon with him. He’ll remember that more and need the support and memories when shit goes bad way more than any knife.
He's married, but the food and drinks will definitely be happening
Well. Give it time! Chest full of medals, pocket full of wedding rings.

Seriously though, support him like you are for the rest of his career and after. Everyone is supportive when things are good. It’s when they go bad everyone disappears.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Here are some custom knives done for a SEAL group

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Very significant.  Glad you could have that.
View Quote
Thanks, it is a great memory.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top