Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
No portholes?!?!?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

100% accurate WRT to the current M113 role. Stryker based is a much better solution.
View Quote

Except now all HBCT combat vehicles will be one of two hulls. Thats a pretty big win for logistics.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No portholes?!?!?
View Quote

Please regale us with more lines from a movie.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108155/mil-armored-multi-purpose-vehicle-1800_j-1577371.JPGProduction of the first new armored vehicle that will replace the Army Vietnam Era M113 armored personnel carrier is now complete, manufacturer BAE Systems announced today.

The first Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle, or AMPV, rolled off BAE's production line as part of a 2018 low-rate initial contract to deliver up to 450 of the vehicles to the Army, according to a BAE news release.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/09/02/army-set-receive-first-armored-vehicles-replace-vietnam-era-m113.html?ESRC=eb_200903.nl

View Quote

We did this already, back in the 80s...they called it the Bradley.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

No we fucking didnt. The M113 family is still alive and well. It needs to be replaced and this is a sensible approach to doing so. The Bradley only replaced M113s in infantry and cavalry roles. The large amount of specialized vehicles, ambulances, command vehicles, and mortar carriers are still 113s. Yet, people are in here acting like its a fucking boondoggle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No we fucking didnt. The M113 family is still alive and well. It needs to be replaced and this is a sensible approach to doing so. Yet, people are in here acting like its a fucking boondoggle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No we fucking didnt. The M113 family is still alive and well. It needs to be replaced and this is a sensible approach to doing so. Yet, people are in here acting like its a fucking boondoggle.

Yes, we did.  The whole point of the M2 Bradley was to replace the 113.  A troop carrier that could shoot back, effectively.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, M992A3s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MLRS does, but I thought the M109's were a different hull.

They did. Now they use Bradley hulls.  I was out there when they were testing them, the different dimensions were causing all kinds of loading issues and shearing fuzes.

Supposedly they got better.

Are they replacing the CATs with Bradley-hull based models as well?

Yeah, M992A3s.

This whole thing reminds me of the Navy's Super Hornet program, in that I'm a bit shocked such a major change is just getting a minor version designation.  With the Howitzer, at least it's the same gun. But that ammo carrier has to be completely different.

But, about damned time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, we did.  The whole point of the M2 Bradley was to replace the 113.  A troop carrier that could shoot back, effectively.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It replaced the M113 in a few very narrow, front line roles. We never funded a full replacement for all M113-based platforms. This finally catches the rest of the fleets up, 30+ fucking years later.

This has been explained at least 4 times already in this thread, and again in the post you just quoted.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

So why are there still thousands of them still.in service? Maybe there were roles that the Bradley couldn't fulfill, like mortar carrier, TOC vehicle, ambulance, Fister etc. This is replacing those hulls.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No we didnt. We replaced the M113 as an APC, which was only one of 4-5 roles it had.  The M113 is literally still sitting in ABCT motor pools to this day as mortar, medic, and command tracks as the 1SG assigned vehicle and the M577.  The AMPV will finally replace that.  My company took them to Iraq in 2007.

But please, by all means continue.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mobility vs armor vs firepower.

Still not sure why the 113 wasn't essentially replaced by the Stryker, which does the same thing, if a bit heavier and rolling on wheels. Not to mention the M1117, though you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze more people into that tin can.

1. As far as mobile firepower goes, I'm surprised the US military doesn't already field something akin to the 3T German Wiesel,
2. 2-man armored weapons platform or "mini-tank" the size of a hummvee but rocking a 20mm canon, or any number of other weapons.
3. Wiesel 1 chassis are being tested as unmanned land vehicles by DARPA... There's a lot of shit you can do with an IFV that small and fast.
View Quote

1. I am too. An Americanized Scorpion or Scimitar equivalent with updated sensors would be nice.
2. Sensors vs need for firepower. Target ID for intel is main mission. 20mm is not the weapon I would not choose if I had to engage with anyway. 20mm is next to useless compared to alternatives.
3. Agreed unmanned you can add a lot of potential to the platform especially with size and payload.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It replaced the M113 in APC and scouting roles,along with the rare M114,but not as an ambulance,mortar carrier,command vehicle,engineers vehicle,mortar carrier,smoke layer etc. This is why many,many M113 variants are still in service.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It replaced the M113 in a few very narrow, front line roles. We never funded a full replacement for all M113-based platforms. This finally catches the rest of the fleets up, 30+ fucking years later.

This has been explained at least 4 times already in this thread, and again in the post you just quoted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were still waiting for our ADA variants to come when I left in late 89.  Guess they never got around to it?  Along with a few other things?

The Bradley was supposed to take care of a lot of things, that it didn't.

Sort of like the whole Sgt York stuff...granted, at least the Bradley was effective.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So why are there still thousands of them still.in service? Maybe there were roles that the Bradley couldn't fulfill, like mortar carrier, TOC vehicle, ambulance, Fister etc. This is replacing those hulls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of which, in the mid to late 80's; the Bradley chassis was supposed to do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

FMC (the original Bradley manufacturer) had variants for all of those roles ready to go back in the 80s but the Army wasn't interested
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It replaced the M113 in APC and scouting roles,along with the rare M114,but not as an ambulance,mortar carrier,command vehicle,engineers vehicle,mortar carrier,smoke layer etc. This is why many,many M113 variants are still in service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm...perhaps my memory is being faulty then.  I could have sworn the bradley chassis was supposed to do all of that, except the smoke layer/engineer stuff.  Been awhile.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

But it didn't, so you were wrong.  However a Bradley chassis just did replace them with the AMPV.

Quoted:

Hmmmm...perhaps my memory is being faulty then.  I could have sworn the bradley chassis was supposed to do all of that, except the smoke layer/engineer stuff.  Been awhile.

The Engineer track is literally the only one of those the Bradley DID replace.  ABCT Engineers have Bradleys.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cool, since we are making more M113s can we start making M551 Sheridan's again?  Keep the 152mm Gun/Launcher, just upgrade the Shillelagh.  That was the most fun vehicle I ever crewed/'commanded. Small, fast with a massive gun.  Sort of like me in my prime.
View Quote

Upgraded sheridan would kick ass
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We were still waiting for our ADA variants to come when I left in late 89.  Guess they never got around to it?  Along with a few other things?

Sort of like the whole Sgt York stuff...granted, at least the Bradley was effective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bradley Stinger Fighting Vehicle was indeed fielded, and later replaced by the Bradley Linebacker for SHORAD.

The original was just another Brad with ADA bubbas inside with MANPADs.

The Linebacker offered mounted Stinger pods.

Like all Bradleys, these and the Cavalry variant had the 25mm gun.

The new program replaces the equipment that doesn't get the gun.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Bradley Linebacker did enter service but the original idea was that Stingers carried in Bradleys would replace the M163 and M167.
 The Linebackers were converted back to normal Bradleys about 15 years ago though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Except now all HBCT combat vehicles will be one of two hulls. Thats a pretty big win for logistics.
View Quote

Are you referring to M1 and M2 Hulls? You still have the M113 in logistic system. Replacing it with a Stryker chassis would get rid of one whole different system (M113) that can be easily replaced. Stryker is already in logistic system and I would be hard pressed to find a reason to keep the M113.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Bradley Linebacker did enter service but the original idea was that Stingers carried in Bradleys would replace the M163 and M167.
 The Linebackers were converted back to normal Bradleys about 15 years ago though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty much all they were ever used as.

The dawn of the drone has led to a fascinating new relevance for short range ADA, with the Army scrambling to adapt.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Bradley Stinger Fighting Vehicle was indeed fielded, and later replaced by the Bradley Linebacker for SHORAD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh, k.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You want our soldiers to rust Mr. Smarty Pants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if the “spray everything inside with oil” mod comes standard on this one like it’s predecessor?

You want our soldiers to rust Mr. Smarty Pants?

Automatic Anticorrosion System
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The dawn of the drone has led to a fascinating new relevance for short range ADA, with the Army scrambling to adapt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess, short and mid range ADA is now becoming somewhat important, again?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Avengers and handheld Stingers are back in style, and the M-SHORAD Stryker is in the POM.  Another couple billion and we might crack the drone nut as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you referring to M1 and M2 Hulls? You still have the M113 in logistic system. Replacing it with a Stryker chassis would get rid of one whole different system (M113) that can be easily replaced. Stryker is already in logistic system and I would be hard pressed to find a reason to keep the M113.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally different units.

Stryker-based units sacrifice survivability for deployability. They are a compromise. Adding Strykers to heavy formations would add another type of fleet, and less capable vehicle platform than a Bradley.

True Armored formation are a wholly different animal than Stryker units, and meant to go up against the worst anyone can throw at us.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Avengers and handheld Stingers are back in style, and the M-SHORAD Stryker is in the POM.  Another couple billion and we might crack the drone nut as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has there been movement on the Bradley M-SHORAD variant? Haven't seen anything on it in years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This whole thing reminds me of the Navy's Super Hornet program, in that I'm a bit shocked such a major change is just getting a minor version designation.  With the Howitzer, at least it's the same gun. But that ammo carrier has to be completely different.

But, about damned time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MLRS does, but I thought the M109's were a different hull.

They did. Now they use Bradley hulls.  I was out there when they were testing them, the different dimensions were causing all kinds of loading issues and shearing fuzes.

Supposedly they got better.

Are they replacing the CATs with Bradley-hull based models as well?

Yeah, M992A3s.

But, about damned time.

Same tube, but everything except recoil will be running on electric instead of hydraulics. It'll be a pretty big learning curve I think. Getting rid of those Detroit Diesels will be nice, too.

The CAT is just a hauler. No cab to deal with, you just have to fit some storage racks in there and add a halon fire protection system.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Has their been movement on the Bradley M-SHORAD variant? Haven't seen anything on it in years.
View Quote

I recently spent some time forward with a few ADA bubbas and they were only talking about the JLTV Avenger variant and Stryker. I had to look the Bradley version up just now when you brought it up, never seen it before since the Linebacker got canned.

I anticipate the inclusion of a lot of these types of systems across the force at all levels, light, medium, and heavy.  As you stated the concept is to not cross platforms and to have all vehicles in the formations standardized with the same mobility capabilities as the rest of the unit.  That was a huge issue with the M113, it was WAY slower than anything else in an armored company, and could not carry as much fuel.  Thats the same problem you had mixing Strykers with Humvees or MRAPs, they could not keep up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Totally different units.

Stryker-based units sacrifice survivability for deployability. They are a compromise. Adding Strykers to heavy formations would add another type of fleet, and less capable vehicle platform than a Bradley.

True Armored formation are a wholly different animal than Stryker units, and meant to go up against the worst anyone can throw at us.
View Quote

I am very familiar with the animal. What could the Bradley/ M113 solution offer that a Stryker could not already a lot more effectively? If you say logistics that is ridiculous at this point. We have brought in dozens of different MRAPs etc that were never in the system before but we seem to have figured it out very quickly. Strykers are already in the system. Arguing TOE is also moot.  Last I seen Division organization makeup is not the same as the 2000s. Not by a long shot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I kind of thought the Stryker was supposed to fill this role? What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am very familiar with the animal. What could the Bradley/ M113 solution offer that a Stryker could not already a lot more effectively? If you say logistics that is ridiculous at this point. We have brought in dozens of different MRAPs etc that were never in the system before but we seem to have figured it out very quickly. Strykers are already in the system. Arguing TOE is also moot.  Last I seen Division organization makeup is not the same as the 2000s. Not by a long shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally different units.

In other words, "don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind."

Got it. You do you.

Meanwhile, an HBCT will continue to be designed without any Strykers, for good reason, and the whole point of the AMPV is to replaces those M113s in those HBCTs.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#35]
eta; eh, not in the fight anymore. wtf do i know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Show me the 577 version.

I once made my 577 aid station fly. I also almost drowned my TC fording a creek.

I still want to see the hightop ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So replace a 113 series vehicle with an upgraded 113?

lol

Show me the 577 version.

I once made my 577 aid station fly. I also almost drowned my TC fording a creek.

It is as tall as a 577 already, then again, I think the floor inside is that much higher.

Yea does this new pig swim?   The M106A3 barely did a doggie paddle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

All that was GWOT centric, it would have never worked in a conventional near-peer style conflict.  We figured it out with the MRAPs by using contracted civilian FSRs that were a huge pain in the ass, and they required static FOBs, they were not something capable of moving with the unit in a conventional FLOT.  Thats why we also got rid of most of them once GWOT funding dried up, they were never meant to be enduring systems and were never programs of record for the most part.  

The concept now is creating 2 common chassis across an ABCT for all vehicles with commonality in maintenance and capabilities that can be supported in an actual large scale combat operation.  Stryker units are doing the exact same thing, and light will mirror it with the JLTV being the base vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I kind of thought the Stryker was supposed to fill this role? What am I missing here?
View Quote

Yeah, in Stryker units.  As far as what you are missing, you could start with the last several pages of this thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stryker was just supposed to be an interim vehicle, it was actually called the Interim Armored Vehicle, until the FCV (Future Combat Vehicle) family came online. Then the FCV got cancelled and the Strykers became permanent
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. The Stryker was meant to be the rapidly deployable option vs Bradleys and M1s,not an M113 family replacement for the entire Army.

Autocorrect made it rapidly deplorable???????
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I recently spent some time forward with a few ADA bubbas and they were only talking about the JLTV Avenger variant and Stryker. I had to look the Bradley version up just now when you brought it up, never seen it before since the Linebacker got canned.

I anticipate the inclusion of a lot of these types of systems across the force at all levels, light, medium, and heavy.  As you stated the concept is to not cross platforms and to have all vehicles in the formations standardized with the same mobility capabilities as the rest of the unit.  That was a huge issue with the M113, it was WAY slower than anything else in an armored company, and could not carry as much fuel.  Thats the same problem you had mixing Strykers with Humvees or MRAPs, they could not keep up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has their been movement on the Bradley M-SHORAD variant? Haven't seen anything on it in years.

There is no way wheeled variant ADA is going to keep up with tracked armor.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Back in 04 when I enlisted, I was under the impression that the Stryker was supposed to replace the 113.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It is as tall as a 577 already, then again, I think the floor inside is that much higher.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So replace a 113 series vehicle with an upgraded 113?

lol

Show me the 577 version.

I don't see why they'd need a high top variant.

As for swimming... I've always found it a bit of a gimmick. Not sure why the Soviets obsessed with it so much, or why we tried to follow suit. Spend that money and effort on more bridging assets.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, in Stryker units.  As far as what you are missing, you could start with the last several pages of this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does some dude from Estonia understand this all better than so many Americans who fancy themselves critics?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#45]
The Soviets didn’t want to wait for bridging units so they wanted everything to swim or wade. This was an obvious part of having an offensive rather than defensive mindset,like many of the decisions they made.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Soviets didn’t want to wait for bridging units so they wanted everything to swim or wade. This was an obvious part of having an offensive rather than defensive mindset,like many of the decisions they made.
View Quote

At what echelon were their bridging units held?

It always seemed to me that the Soviet mindset was much more of a "gotta make do with what I can physically get my hands on" as opposed to any sort of trust that any support would ever be there when needed.

That exists in all militaries (witness the every popular CAS debates here), but the Soviets seemed to obsess on it. My guess is hard-earned experience working within their own dysfunctional systems.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why does some dude from Estonia understand this all better than so many Americans who fancy themselves critics?
View Quote

Armor envy.

We used to have to borrow a couple of the handful of Latvian T-55s to have something with tracks to train against
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Back in 04 when I enlisted, I was under the impression that the Stryker was supposed to replace the 113.
View Quote

Heard that in 06, I laughed.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

All that was GWOT centric, it would have never worked in a conventional near-peer style conflict.  We figured it out with the MRAPs by using contracted civilian FSRs that were a huge pain in the ass, and they required static FOBs, they were not something capable of moving with the unit in a conventional FLOT.  Thats why we also got rid of most of them once GWOT funding dried up, they were never meant to be enduring systems and were never programs of record for the most part.  

The concept now is creating 2 common chassis across an ABCT for all vehicles with commonality in maintenance and capabilities that can be supported in an actual large scale combat operation.  Stryker units are doing the exact same thing, and light will mirror it with the JLTV being the base vehicle.
View Quote

Makes sense. When did funding dry up?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interestingly enough, many of the NATO heavy vehicles could wade, fairly well.  The idea was to let the Soviets break their A divisions on our lines, then roll their B, and C, divisions up.  Most of the Soviet ADA, and Engineer units were attached to their A divisions, at the time (80s-early 90s).

The M1A1, Leopard II, Challenger, and Leclerc tanks were all equal to, or better than anything the soviets could field.  They just had more of them.  Granted, at the time, we were unsure of that.

The soviets were assumed to go full NBC on the front, with an emphasis on chemical, to push through us.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top