Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 34
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone know if a 240 Bravo can area fire with any kind of accuracy at 1000 meters?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Soldier systems is run by H&K?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does HK pay you to share their propaganda?
Soldier systems is run by H&K?
I believe the "multiple (non-cited) sources" SSD are reporting is nothing more than HK bullshit.

According to multiple sources, what started out as a directed requirement for a 7.62 NATO Designated Marksmanship Rifle for issue to Infantry Rifle Squads has grown in scope to increase the Basis of Issue to all personnel in Brigade Combat Teams and perhaps beyond. The genesis of this requirement is overmatch. The troops feel like they’re in a street fight with a guy with longer arms. The 7.62x54R cartridge gives the enemy those longer arms.
I've done two deployments to Iraq in Brigade Combat Teams. I can count the number of engagements where x54R was used on one hand.

No way in fuck we're switching to 7.62 NATO just to hold the line until some 6.5 caliber and the rifle to shoot it is accepted.

You should file a FOIA request for the information listed in the italicized paragraph.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We want a big, heavy, piston 762 AR, but we want it small, compact, lightweight, and be able to meet requirements of female soldiers.

We also already have a 762 rifle, the SCAR, but we're not going to go with that.

We're now going to masturbate over the choices and spend billions of dollars, only to inexplicably go with Sig.

Because reasons.
View Quote
I laugh at this whole report but your reply makes me laugh more.

The SCAR is not a good battle rifle. Tons of issues. I for one am glad it wouldn't be adopted. So in a way I guess you are right it is reasons- good ones.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lol. The m14 ebr, SCAR-H, and KAC M110 were all mentioned in that article, yet you only quoted the part about the HK.
View Quote
Easiest section to copy and paste on my phone.

I put a link there for everyone to read in full.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Instead of destroying or giving away M-14 rifles during the 70's and 80's someone should have been working on modifications to make the rifle more user friendly for our troops.  A better mounting system for optics, an adjustable stock, composite magazines etc.  Oh Hell No! The military wants to spend billions on some shiny new toy that will take decades to develop and by then will want to scrap it for some kind of plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. Pissing our tax money away has become a art form for the military.  
View Quote
EBR....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The SCAR is not a good battle rifle. Tons of issues. I for one am glad it wouldn't be adopted. So in a way I guess you are right it is reasons- good ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We want a big, heavy, piston 762 AR, but we want it small, compact, lightweight, and be able to meet requirements of female soldiers.

We also already have a 762 rifle, the SCAR, but we're not going to go with that.

We're now going to masturbate over the choices and spend billions of dollars, only to inexplicably go with Sig.

Because reasons.

Out of curiosity what are the issues with the SCAR? I know the stocks often break, but are there other problems?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
OFFS
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Grendel.  Just switch to Grendel.  Then sell all that sweet 5.56 at blowout prices.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
.260 Rem would be great, and could even be used in existing rifles with a rebarrel.  And in something like the SCAR or G2 from DPMS, not overly heavy.  I know some people are going to cry about the weight, but they forget that our grandfathers fought in WW2 with the heavy Garand and did quite well, despite them being much smaller (on average) than we are.
View Quote
Um, isn't .260 REM a .308 sized cartridge?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Truth be told 5.56 is about as small as you can go and have it work ok. But all considered, perhaps that's the best answer. Most bullets strike dirt, after all.
View Quote
Do Colt and H&K provide employment opportunities for "retired" generals the way lockmart does?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe the "multiple (non-cited) sources" SSD are reporting is nothing more than HK bullshit.

According to multiple sources, what started out as a directed requirement for a 7.62 NATO Designated Marksmanship Rifle for issue to Infantry Rifle Squads has grown in scope to increase the Basis of Issue to all personnel in Brigade Combat Teams and perhaps beyond. The genesis of this requirement is overmatch. The troops feel like they’re in a street fight with a guy with longer arms. The 7.62x54R cartridge gives the enemy those longer arms.
I've done two deployments to Iraq in Brigade Combat Teams. I can count the number of engagements where x54R was used on one hand.

No way in fuck we're switching to 7.62 NATO just to hold the line until some 6.5 caliber and the rifle to shoot it is accepted.

You should file a FOIA request for the information listed in the italicized paragraph.
View Quote
The article gave me the impression they want a 7.62 battle rifle for now, and then will buy new ammo and barrels and use the 7.62 battle rifle mags and receivers for the 6.5 rounds .
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Why don't they just issue SCARs or .308 AR's for troops fighting in those situations?  Or provide them the rifles and let them decide if they want to go out on missions with the bigger gun or not?  

Seems silly to change everyone's weapon to .308 and then change it again to 6. something, when 6mm cartridges and AR's are already available to choose from.  But I guess they want to drag this out and spend a lot of money.  

Nevermind the moving away from 5.56 means probably losing the advantageous characteristic tumble-and-fracture that the round does at shorter distanced.  FMJ 6.5 or whatever would probably wound more like an AK round, just tumble and pass through.  Unless the Army starts using better bullets, I think the 5.56 is probably still great for most conflicts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity what are the issues with the SCAR? I know the stocks often break, but are there other problems?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because reasons.

Um someone else probably knows more but the ones i can think of off hand are

1. Stocks like you mentioned
2. Magazine base plate likes to come off. This may have been fixed though.
3. The big one in my mind is the barrel twist rate. It's 1/12 that only good for 147gr rounds. I've heard of people having a lot of issues with anything heavier. Why have a long range rifle that can't shoot long range ammunition?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why don't they just issue SCARs or .308 AR's for troops fighting in those situations?
View Quote
240s and more widespread use of 60mm mortars is an even better idea.

6.5 LSAT GPMG sounds even better.

Pants-on-head retards still get to make fun of people that think that .308 general-issue rifles are a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Perfect caliber.  Perfect rifle. Shoots flat, mild recoil, more punch. What else do they want?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't this why 6.8 SPC was created?
Perfect caliber.  Perfect rifle. Shoots flat, mild recoil, more punch. What else do they want?
A 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if a 240 Bravo can area fire with any kind of accuracy at 1000 meters?
View Quote
if you're on a tripod and trying to supress the enemy, at least that's what the official stats are
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

3. The big one in my mind is the barrel twist rate. It's 1/12 that only good for 147gr rounds. I've heard of people having a lot of issues with anything heavier. Why have a long range rifle that can't shoot long range ammunition?
View Quote
that can quite literally can be fixed for substantially less than adopting a new weapon system. That's like saying you don't like your car because of the engine and tires on it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pins shear

Charging handle shears

A reciprocating charging handle

Weird piston/ barrel harmonics

And so on...
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Irony is that when nations switched to 5.56 average scores at 300 m went up.

A 5.56 using say, 77gr bullets and ACOG would do much more for long range accuracy than any 7.62.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or just teach them how to shoot what they have... 
Irony is that when nations switched to 5.56 average scores at 300 m went up.

A 5.56 using say, 77gr bullets and ACOG would do much more for long range accuracy than any 7.62.
Which, given the round was optimized for that, makes sense. 

But changing bullet weight, caliber, optics, whatever isn't going to have much of an impact past 300 yards unless there's a marksmanship overhaul.  Take back that "Infantry half K" as the old article stated. 

Maybe, you know.... add a few weeks of basic fundamentals trained by a cadre of staff who's sole job it is, is to teach the fundamentals to new troops and get them shooting accurately closer to the edge of the weapons potential, vs just the average engagement range. Maybe 500 meters or so, where fundamentals and sight settings or scope drops really come into play.

A plan so crazy it might just work. 
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Powerful, proven cartridge, with even more might and vigor when tip of bullet is painted black.

Successfully used by millions.

Innovative enbloc clips weigh less than box magazines, open new possibilities for Magpul.

Stock made of renewable material.

Designed by Canadian Kaybecker, so is obviously friendly to minorities real and percieved, and was mindful of his white privilege.

M1 Garand, your time has come. Again.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2016/04/battle-rifle-m1-garand-3.jpg
View Quote
I love my Garands, but:
.30-06 was outdated when the M1 came in, existing supply dictated staying with that round.
I'd like to have more than 6 rounds with a loud notice to everyone around that I'm in a reload.
It would be cool if we supply our troops with a stock that works well in humid, "jungleish" theaters.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]
At last, the T48 can be selected like it should have been in the first place!

But yeah, tail wagging the dog and all.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The article gave me the impression they want a 7.62 battle rifle for now, and then will buy new ammo and barrels and use the 7.62 battle rifle mags and receivers for the 6.5 rounds .
View Quote
No shit. It said that almost verbatim with non-cited "multiple sources"
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Powerful, proven cartridge, with even more might and vigor when tip of bullet is painted black.

Successfully used by millions.

Innovative enbloc clips weigh less than box magazines, open new possibilities for Magpul.

Stock made of renewable material.

Designed by Canadian Kaybecker, so is obviously friendly to minorities real and percieved, and was mindful of his white privilege.

M1 Garand, your time has come. Again.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2016/04/battle-rifle-m1-garand-3.jpg
View Quote
Chambered in .30-06 to burn up WW1 surplus, had been designed in a different caliber as a result of WW1's showing that MG's and tactics beat service rifles with big bullets that mostly just chew up dirt. 
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
sounds like someone is trying to justify their job.
View Quote
And spend money.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#26]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.280_British

The cartridge that should have been adopted...

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Pins shear

Charging handle shears

A reciprocating charging handle

Weird piston/ barrel harmonics

And so on...
Interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]
The desert fighting did it. Longer engagement distances.

6.5G is the answer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

6.5G is the answer.
View Quote
That'll really kill dirt well while keeping badguys fixed to hit with MG's! 
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#30]
7.62 for wholesale issue is a stupid idea.   One of the worst I've heard in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Instead of destroying or giving away M-14 rifles during the 70's and 80's someone should have been working on modifications to make the rifle more user friendly for our troops.  A better mounting system for optics, an adjustable stock, composite magazines etc.  Oh Hell No! The military wants to spend billions on some shiny new toy that will take decades to develop and by then will want to scrap it for some kind of plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. Pissing our tax money away has become a art form for the military.  
View Quote
The private development of the AR-15 is really the right answer.

The M-14 was a dog. The Italinan BM-59 was essentially the same, minus the drama and cost.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd go with the AR-10 type system, but that's just me.
View Quote
In 6.5 Creedmoor... would make sense...
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
At last, the T48 can be selected like it should have been in the first place!
View Quote
Meh.

If you want to talk about what should have been done in the post-war "first place", neck the .30 Carbine round down to .22-.24 and issue everybody M2s, keep the Garands for DMRs, and wait for Stoner to finish the AR15.

The whole "battle rifle" concept was really, really dumb.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

6.5G is the answer.
View Quote
There is an Army replacing 5.56, 7.62 X 39, 7.62 X 54r, and 7.92 X57 with the 6.5G as their GPC
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#35]

We had it right in 1895.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Easily as well as anything that's shooting the dreaded 7.62x54 that the article writer seems to think is such a death ray.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There is an Army replacing 5.56, 7.62 X 39, 7.62 X 54r, and 7.92 X57 with the 6.5G as their GPC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6.5G is the answer.
And that Army doesn't do much desert fighting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Chambered in .30-06 to burn up WW1 surplus, had been designed in a different caliber as a result of WW1's showing that MG's and tactics beat service rifles with big bullets that mostly just chew up dirt. 
View Quote
Let me tell you about my innovative plan to bring back the M1918 and M1919 series as well...
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#39]
If I were in charge I'd choose .222 Remington Magnum, increase the shoulder angle and leade just a bit and raise the pressure slightly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Except for the powders (and bullet)  at the time
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#41]
FPNI

How the fuck is that the absolute rule of the universe around here. The FPNI every fucking time. Like the first person to read a thread is bestowed with fucking magical powers to just /thread the thing closed? I swear there is a force in nature we don't know about. Absolutely fucking fascinating to me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I love my Garands, but:
.30-06 was outdated when the M1 came in, existing supply dictated staying with that round.
I'd like to have more than 6 rounds with a loud notice to everyone around that I'm in a reload.
It would be cool if we supply our troops with a stock that works well in humid, "jungleish" theaters.
View Quote
Do you even Garand bro?

ETA: enbloc clips hold 8 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey, how about .45-70?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Do you even Garand bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my Garands, but:
Do you even Garand bro?
Real combat pros always downloaded their en blocs by 2 rounds to ensure reliability.

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Trijicon website says the TA648MGO ACOG is zeroed at 500 meters and has holdovers to 1200 meters.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

6.5G is the answer.
View Quote
Pretty much this. It requires barrel, bolt, and magazine swaps from the existing rifles- all of which are consumable parts anyways. 6.5G is the most logical option if a new cartridge is to be adopted, as opposed to 77gr 5.56. .308 is honestly a poor cartridge in my opinion- it has too much recoil for CQB, and poor trajectory compared to 6.5G. Those two points are before we get into weight concerns, and the fact that 6.5G would literally only require parts swaps on rifles already in inventory. I'm not sure that it would be suitable as a general-issue cartridge, but in place of .308 DMRs, it would do nicely.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

It sure can.  I never had a problem pegging the 800m targets on my initial burst at the qual range (we had M145s even way back then).

Never shot at anything that far away on a deployment though.  Shit tended to either be 300m or in or outside the range of small arms altogether.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't this why 6.8 SPC was created?
I have a 6.8SPC AR and love it. It is not significantly superior long range to the 5.56. It is meant to provide more punch at close/moderate
range. typically 300 yards and under. 5.56 77 gr will help with accuracy and punch over the 55 or 62 gr at the longer range.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And that Army doesn't do much desert fighting.
View Quote
And if they did, they would outclass the .224 with it
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

6.5G is the answer.
View Quote
It still isn't worth making a switch.

Compared to going to a 7.62x51 general issue weapon though, 6.5G is fucking genius.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top