BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remember before Desert Storm when the fake news was reporting our equipment was going to be decimated by the sand?  Helicopter blades were literally going to fall off and all machinery was going to choke and die on sand.
View Quote
I remember that.  They would say all of our equipment will lock up.

Lock up how?

It will lock up!  All our soldiers will die!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
So tired of the Army uniform games.  I am stationed in Alaska so we are obviously focused on cold weather gear.  The ECWCS isn't bad; but when I compare the weight/warmth/water repelling capabilities of my KUIU brand hunting clothing to my issued cold weather clothing it is not even funny.  The KUIU is so much warmer, so much lighter, and more comfortable across a wide range of temperatures.  It isn't baggy, it has useful pockets in useful places, and packs down to a fraction of the size.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Mmmmmm.

Something about NK.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Remember before Desert Storm when the fake news was reporting our equipment was going to be decimated by the sand?  Helicopter blades were literally going to fall off and all machinery was going to choke and die on sand.
View Quote
I remember that BS.

Didn't take the .mil to prove that was wrong, in fact, it occurred to me that it might have been an intentional disinformation campaign. Of course since the MSM then, as now, is anti American, the .mil would have had to fool the MSM, which ain't too tough!
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I can tell you a brand new set of old school rip stop BDU’s
will only last a few weeks in the Panama jungle. After that the first thing that goes is the crotch then the ass and the knees follow.

When you get back to shower the funk off you the BDU’s rot off you. The guys used to say the jungle rots and melts them at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

"Gender" is an Imperialist construct that was designed to impose Penile-Capitalist mores onto non-gyndered otherkinn and Persyns of Color. By internalizing these mores PoCs in non-Cisgendered cultures would reject primitive genderfluidity for the Imperialist ding-ding-dong rape culture.
View Quote
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"The new uniform's fabric is 57 percent Nylon and 43 percent cotton, which dries about 30 minutes faster than the ACU's 90-minute dry time under lab conditions, uniform officials maintain."

The 50/50 blend is pretty flammable, this 57/43 blend is going to be highly dangerous when fire is encountered, shit will melt to the wearer's skin.
View Quote
But the fire will cause it to dry much faster though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Excellent, must be an R in the month...too soon for another round of Carbine testing.... and we already have a rd going for the Dress uniform... we just got a new pistol and APFT uniform, so naturally, it's time for another rd of taxpayer funded  Battledress Uniform.... testing

You just can't make this shit up....
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep. Spend all the money fielding everyone with one jungle uniform and then when they finally go to an operational theater it will of course be fighting insurgents who love their IEDs, and then after a few news stories and a Congressional inquiry, the Army will issue heavy, hot FR uniforms like they do everywhere else.

Just issue them the FR uniforms to start, get them used to wearing it in the jungle along with body armor and all the rest of the shit they'll be expected to wear, so they know their actual limitations and don't need to find them out the initial days of an actual combat operation.
View Quote
Sadly this. Apparently nothing has been learned yet again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But the fire will cause it to dry much faster though.
View Quote
Clothes wet from sweat are fire retardant, to an extent.

Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sort of unrelated, but there is a good Primary&Secondary podcast on modern jungle war fighting. Boots were discussed at length, basically the us mil does not have a boot in inventory that works in hot wet environments.
View Quote
That was an awesome podcast. The general consensus seemed to be get Vietnam gear. Vietnam jungle boots and OD green jungle uniform. Throw away armor, chest rigs, etc and just use Vietnam era belt/suspenders. Throw away optics, rails, etc amd run an m4 with a carry handle and round handguards.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Everyone involved needs to be relieved or fired.
View Quote
Or forced to wear them while performing "actual" soldier duties...
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is literally being designed for those poor bastards in the 25th ID who have to plod there way through the deepest, darkest jungles of Hawaii. When Kahuku is the worst jungle Soldiers encounter you just know they're fully trained on what to expect in jungle combat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goin back to the jungle to fight, eh?
This is literally being designed for those poor bastards in the 25th ID who have to plod there way through the deepest, darkest jungles of Hawaii. When Kahuku is the worst jungle Soldiers encounter you just know they're fully trained on what to expect in jungle combat.
Lol, the jungle pines of Kahuku. I think I still have stuff with that red mud on it. Big ass centipedes everywhere.

Memories.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because the people who run the Army don't think about combat, they think about garrison and training and careers and benefits and jobs after they retire. When they do think about combat its only to get uniform bling and combat evaluation reports, but most its to justify a new equipment purchase or to get more money for training, "Russia is threat, buy us all new vehicles! China is threat, give us new jungle uniforms that melt to skin when insurgent IED's detonate nearby." But when they finally do go to combat its the small war against the enemy they don't like fighting so they bitch about it not being the combat they wanted to fight and which they trained on, complain about wanting the war to end to go back to the good ol' days when they weren't at war. As soon as war ends they go back to training for combat they like and demand they will never again fight the small war, they go out of their way to create a force that isn't built to fight small war. Then they deploy again for the small war and then have to repeat the cycle.

Meanwhile, majors become colonels, colonels become generals, generals become CEOs, and everyone gets paid. And that's the lesson they really learn.
View Quote
... so they get their six-figure Board of Directors jobs?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"The new uniform's fabric is 57 percent Nylon and 43 percent cotton, which dries about 30 minutes faster than the ACU's 90-minute dry time under lab conditions, uniform officials maintain."

The 50/50 blend is pretty flammable, this 57/43 blend is going to be highly dangerous when fire is encountered, shit will melt to the wearer's skin.
View Quote
yep

I thought the same thing
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Living in the closest thing that CONUS has to a genuine no-shit jungle, I can attest that old school Altama swamp stompers and tigerstripe camo work wonderfully in that environment.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Pattern looks too brown for a jungle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Venezuela here we come
View Quote
That's some Bad Bush...  (or so they say...)
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
We did a month down in Panama with a Jungle Operations Training Center rotation attached to 2/75 Ranger Bn back in 1997.

It was a lot of fun for us, but it was a suckfest for the hooahs.

100% ripstop BDUs are nice, but wear off really fast with the rain and hard use.

50/50 NYCO holds up well, but it's hotter.

I actually wore Tigerstripe for most of that deployment, other than when we were in admin mode at Fort Sherman and had to be in BDUs, but we had relaxed uniform with BDU bottoms, jungles, brown T-shirts, PCs, and Camelbaks.

Most of the time we were in the jungle doing ambushes, site security for simulated weapons/drug caches, or OPFOR in MOUT.

In the summer in the Arctic, the conditions are similar, with tons of humidity, more mosquitoes, but none of the exotic plant and animal life you have around the equator.  Panama had some interesting animal life for sure, between bats, gators, and howler monkeys.

There is a natural fiber that comes from a particular wood that is extremely fire-resistant.  If you burn even one of the small fibers, it looks like a tungsten filament in a lightbulb when brought into contact with direct flame.

I would use that with an engineered fabric microscopic structure designed to shed heat and support evaporation.

Working in the jungle isn't that terribly worse than deciduous woods in high humidity, but does have some plant life and precipitation cycles that are unusual.

Black palm, sharp leaves in other PACOM, SOUTHCOM, and AFRICOM regions and daily rain make it more difficult to conduct dismounted operations, but we've done it before.  We do need at least one JOTC in the tropics to replace Fort Sherman.  Hawaii is not a good representation of that.

Maybe a joint-UK training center could be established with their place in Belize.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone involved needs to be relieved or fired.
Biggest problem we have in our culture is that some type of new product or gadget can solve our challenges, when training is more important.

Incompetent, lazy, push-button solutions desired by chairborne leadership isn't compatible with that train of thought, so we'll waste the money on tons of new gear and spend more time issuing it, inventorying it, inspecting it, cleaning it, filling out hazardous waste environmental impact reports for it when Joe throws a BA-5390 into the Company area dumpster.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Living in the closest thing that CONUS has to a genuine no-shit jungle, I can attest that old school Altama swamp stompers and tigerstripe camo work wonderfully in that environment.
View Quote
You live in my back yard?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't think I would do well in the jungle. I remember some very long walks through the woods in GA and NC at night, seeing lots of horrible-alien-spider-bugs all night long, but never seeing the same species more than once.

Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I read an article yesterday about the Marines testing their new jungle uniforms as well. It was all hyped up that they'd be needing them in North Korea.
View Quote
The Norks got their stuff all figured out.

Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Not sure, but I can definitely ID the race. #triggered
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Pattern sucks... bring back tiger stripes..
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We did a month down in Panama with a Jungle Operations Training Center rotation attached to 2/75 Ranger Bn back in 1997.

It was a lot of fun for us, but it was a suckfest for the hooahs.

100% ripstop BDUs are nice, but wear off really fast with the rain and hard use.

50/50 NYCO holds up well, but it's hotter.

I actually wore Tigerstripe for most of that deployment, other than when we were in admin mode at Fort Sherman and had to be in BDUs, but we had relaxed uniform with BDU bottoms, jungles, brown T-shirts, PCs, and Camelbaks.

Most of the time we were in the jungle doing ambushes, site security for simulated weapons/drug caches, or OPFOR in MOUT.

In the summer in the Arctic, the conditions are similar, with tons of humidity, more mosquitoes, but none of the exotic plant and animal life you have around the equator.  Panama had some interesting animal life for sure, between bats, gators, and howler monkeys.

There is a natural fiber that comes from a particular wood that is extremely fire-resistant.  If you burn even one of the small fibers, it looks like a tungsten filament in a lightbulb when brought into contact with direct flame.

I would use that with an engineered fabric microscopic structure designed to shed heat and support evaporation.

Working in the jungle isn't that terribly worse than deciduous woods in high humidity, but does have some plant life and precipitation cycles that are unusual.

Black palm, sharp leaves in other PACOM, SOUTHCOM, and AFRICOM regions and daily rain make it more difficult to conduct dismounted operations, but we've done it before.  We do need at least one JOTC in the tropics to replace Fort Sherman.  Hawaii is not a good representation of that.

Maybe a joint-UK training center could be established with their place in Belize.
View Quote
The French have a great Jungle school in French Guyana and do exchange training with other nations. I wonder if the Army could work out a deal with them?  It is a shame that we no longer have Sherman.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Goin back to the jungle to fight, eh?
View Quote
The southern U.S.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Slant pocket jungle fatigues were the best jungle fatigues.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Tri Gendered Pyro-Fox
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Venezuela here we come
View Quote
This

But you also left out the Panama channel after Valenzuela takes over it
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#32]
JESUS CHRIST!!!! Just buy them some VERTX, Under armour, and a pair of Solomon boots.  And call it a fucking day. Then tip your hat as you save the tax payers billions in "Research and development"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top