Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/15/2016 4:31:25 PM EDT
The only control that a pilot has is to fully raise and lower the hook, correct?

That is, there is no 'control' of the hook that is used to try and catch a wire. The arresting hook is lowered and either it catches a wire or it doesn't.

This is what I think, a guy at work thought otherwise. (ie that a pilot can control the hook to try and catch the wire)

I disagreed strongly, but the fact is that I have spent as much time flying jets off of aircraft carriers as he has.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
it's either up or down, nothing else
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
They use magnets to raise and lower the hook so it only catches the 3 wire on Tuesdays.  

Eta: once upon a time a long time ago I saw that schematic and did some trouble shooting on Marine F-4 and A-4's.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
When the gear is down, the hook is down.  The pilot tries to hit the third wire, but a hook is a hook.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They use magnets to raise and lower the hook so it only catches the 3 wire on Tuesdays.
View Quote

Just don't know why they make a big deal of catching the first wire?
Good pilots I say.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullshit.

I know for a fact they don't fly on Tuesdays.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Third Wire Thursdays!!

Two Wire Tuesdays.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a Phormer Phabulous Phantom Phixer I can confirm this is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When the gear is down, the hook is down.  
View Quote

No, the control for the landing gear is separate from the hook.
When you see Navy jets land on runway the hook is not down.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When the gear is down, the hook is down.  The pilot tries to hit the third wire, but a hook is a hook.

View Quote

Nope, tailhook can be operated independently of the gear. An F-18 landing at an airfield doesn't need or use the tailhook.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

But over in the Gulf it's Wednesday already.....It's technical.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
If the hook or wire fails will the plane stop in time or is the landing aborted?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If the hook or wire fails will the plane stop in time or is the landing aborted?  
View Quote

They firewall it to go around I think.

That's why you hear the motors go full gas as he catches a hook ........... just in case he doesn't catch the hook.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nope, tailhook can be operated independently of the gear. An F-18 landing at an airfield doesn't need or use the tailhook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be quite a site to watch a f-18 land on Tarmac with the hook down.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They will go full power, hook engaged or not.  Just in case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been done lots of time during bad weather or a possible equipment issue. This is why even Air Force aircraft have tailhooks, albeit much less heavy duty than Navy types.

ETA: Most military airfields have Morst gear for this very reason.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
The pilot controls the hook by flying the airplane.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

When they land, they push the throttle all the way open and only shut down when they know they've caught the wire and have stopped. If they fail to catch a wire, it's called a "bolter" and they take-off, go around, and try again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they hit the deck with enough power to keep flying if they miss or something happens.  Jets spool up too slow to not do this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's why you hear the motors go full gas as he catches a hook ........... just in case he doesn't catch the hook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Not only does the wire stop the jet, it does so with the jet at full power, afterburner off. Pretty amazing stuff.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't they go full power when they hit the deck?

Edt. Beat.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be like one of those jet skis that shoots up big plumes of water behind it.  Only in place of a jet ski, you would just have a jet.  And instead of water, you would have sparks, and chunks of tarmac.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The pilot controls the hook by flying the airplane.
View Quote

Funny, that's exactly what I said to him.

The pilot puts the airplane where the wire is. That's the only control he has.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The pilot controls the hook by flying aviating the airplane.
View Quote

FIFY.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My field had Grumman on it. They had long shot  of heavy anchor chain laid out on the sides of the runway. In an emergency no brake landing I suppose they strung a arresting
cable on the ends of the chain across runway, viola arresting gear. Sadly never seen it used.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#27]
F-15 catching Morst gear with tailhook.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except for when only the hook is down.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I think they try to flatten out the gear on each trap.  :)  so the hook is pointed downward before striking the deck then the hook gets dragged along in horizontal position while the gear tries to figure out what the fuck just happened.?

also if they bolter?..there's a big pile of pillows at the front of carrier for the plane to roll into/on.

2 beer bounce
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are airfields with arresting wires - Goodyear AZ, for example.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes the tail hook is actually dragged across the deck until it contacts a wire.  Some times it bounces as it hits the deck.  This is mitigated some by the tailhook acutator keeping postive downwared force on  he hook.  There is always a shower of sparks, mostly visable on a night trap of course.  The tail hook point wears dur to this and must undergo periodic inspecetion and replacement at 10 traps.  The tail hook can swivel side to side some also.  Carrier aviaation is the cats meow!  I miss it greatly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen.  Lost his brakes had to catch the chains.  Very "Interesting" looking.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Like so...

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Gratuitous Gulf war Tomcat shot
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wire failure

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#36]
how thick is the hook, what's it made of, and how many bolts hold it to the airframe. it has got to see a shit load of g's. I'm curious how long they last? any one have a close up photo of one?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phlamboyant!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not on E2-C2's......there is a separate solenoid that lowers the arresting hook, and it is held down with nitrogen pressure of approximately 800 PSI to prevent hook skip.  The hook can be lowered manually without hydraulic assist, but cannot be raised without hydraulic power.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wire failure

https://youtu.be/r-EHwYOfY94
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire failure

the landing gear had to get wet on that one.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/R20KLaU.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, horny plane?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect, to a point at least.  Military runways have arresting gear.  Ever notice the tail hook on an F-15 or F-16?  It is there so that the pilot can bring a plane down safely that has a malfunction with the brakes or other issues that may prevent stopping the jet.  Sometimes there are three wires, the approach end, the mid and the departure end.  It can also be used if a jet, for whatever reason, cannot get airborne but cannot stop safely before running out of runway.  

Of course, the Navy also trains Naval Aviators (to include Marine pilots) on arrested landings at shore stations.  The wires will be set up to simulate a carrier deck.  They too have mid and departure end wires for the reasons stated above.  Very wet runways are also hard to stop on, so an arrested landing is sometimes all that stands between re-using the jet tomorrow or sending it into the body and fender shop.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wire failure

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire failure

That's why the pilots keep the engine power fire walled until they are stopped.....they were lucky for sure on this!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wire failure

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wire failure

We had a USMC captain bolt so many times that when he caught the wire the bolt holding the shoe shot of and hit the conning tower. We actually heard it during flight ops.  Needless to say he was given a large dose of feces for his landing ability.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Incorrect, to a point at least.  Military runways have arresting gear.  Ever notice the tail hook on an F-15 or F-16?  It is there so that the pilot can bring a plane down safely that has a malfunction with the brakes or other issues that may prevent stopping the jet.  Sometimes there are three wires, the approach end, the mid and the departure end.  It can also be used if a jet, for whatever reason, cannot get airborne but cannot stop safely before running out of runway.  

http://www.120thairliftwing.ang.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/120304-Z-UJ603-075.JPG

Of course, the Navy also trains Naval Aviators (to include Marine pilots) on arrested landings at shore stations.  The wires will be set up to simulate a carrier deck.  They too have mid and departure end wires for the reasons stated above.  Very wet runways are also hard to stop on, so an arrested landing is sometimes all that stands between re-using the jet tomorrow or sending it into the body and fender shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.120thairliftwing.ang.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/120304-Z-UJ603-075.JPG

If you had actually read the whole thread you would see my comments on this and the pic of an F-15 catching a rigged Morst gear.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No and no....Pilots training for CQ's or carrier qualifications practice FCLP or field carrier landing practice where they perform touch and go landings for their ball flying.  The only reason a Naval Aviator would purposefully take a field arrestment, is if there was an emergency like single engine or landing gear malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw the skull and crossbones and had to scroll up to make sure it was Whamo.  "Splash the Zeroes!"
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA:  Beat
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
how thick is the hook, what's it made of, and how many bolts hold it to the airframe. it has got to see a shit load of g's. I'm curious how long they last? any one have a close up photo of one?

View Quote

It's held on by one bolt.  Replaced every 10 traps or sooner if the wear indicator shows it needs to be replaced.  I have one somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not on E2-C2's......there is a separate solenoid that lowers the arresting hook, and it is held down with nitrogen pressure of approximately 800 PSI to prevent hook skip.  The hook can be lowered manually without hydraulic assist, but cannot be raised without hydraulic power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly how it works on a Hornet too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top