Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 9/8/2022 8:15:52 PM EDT
Younger and middle-aged men are the loneliest they've been in generations, and it's probably going to get worse.

This is not my typical rosy view of relationships but a reality nonetheless. Over the last 30 years, men have become a larger portion of that growing group of long-term single people. And while you don't actually need to be in a relationship to be happy, men typically are happier and healthier when partnered.

Here are three broad trends in the relationship landscape that suggest heterosexual men are in for a rough road ahead:

Dating Apps. Whether you're just starting to date or you're recently divorced and dating again, dating apps are a huge driver of new romantic connections in the United States. The only problem is that upwards of 62% of users are men and many women are overwhelmed by the number of options they have. Competition in online dating is fierce, and lucky in-person chance encounters with dreamy partners are rarer than ever.

Relationship Standards. With so many options, it's not surprising that women are increasingly selective. I do a live TikTok show (@abetterloveproject) and speak with hundreds of audience members every week; I hear recurring dating themes from women between the ages of 25 and 45: They prefer men who are emotionally available, who are good communicators, and who share their values.

Skills Deficits. For men, this means a relationship skills gap that, if not addressed, will likely lead to fewer dating opportunities and longer periods of being single. There's less patience for poor communication skills today. The problem for men is that emotional connection is the lifeblood of healthy, long-term love and it requires all the skills that families still are not consistently teaching young boys.

mOAR
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Mgtow
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
One Is The Loneliest Number - Three Dog Night (Lyrics)
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I got so lucky finding a good one and tricking her to into loving me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
20%, 80%.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
20%, 80%.
View Quote

I thought it was 10/90
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Never thought I'd be a trend setter. LOL
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm single and in my mid 30's, I wouldn't consider myself lonely. I can surround myself with people at any time. Just because some people can't handle the concept of being by themselves doesn't mean that we're all doomed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Relationship Standards. With so many options, it's not surprising that women are increasingly selective. I do a live TikTok show (@abetterloveproject) and speak with hundreds of audience members every week; I hear recurring dating themes from women between the ages of 25 and 45: They prefer men who are emotionally available, who are good communicators, and who share their values.
View Quote

Bullshit. For most women, if you tell them the concerns occupying your mind, suddenly they see you as weak, and they see that as unattractive.

The idea that men might have emotions seems to be a foreign concept to a lot of women.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Prefer men emotionally available and share their values?

If you want an emotional tampon who shares your feminist values to “validate my feelings” then go date a chic. Not a man.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Younger and middle-aged men are the loneliest they've been in generations, and it's probably going to get worse.
View Quote

Make money, … vacation in Vegas, … hookers.

Then buy a wife from Thailand.

These young, lonely, single dudes will have no issues.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, when's the last time you touched the precious?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I thought it was 10/90
View Quote
5/95
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
5/95
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#15]
More single men and women from what I've been seeing. People are super unhappy all over. The feminist movement has killed relationships between men and women. Everyone just get a cat or dog I guess, ha
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Lonely single men..... nothing exactly something new.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Single =  / = lonely
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
So there are more men than women and that ratio only increases with age.  So maybe they should explain how there is some giant increase in lonely men without even more lonely women?  Some have already alluded to it.  The women essential operate as a harem, facilitated by the dating apps, to the same small subset of guys.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Expected result. There's a reason successful religions require monogamy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#21]
All a bunch of bullshit. The problem is that our society has pussified men. Women still want manly men. It's an instinctive desire and can't be changed by shifting cultural norms. They want a good provider. They want a good defender. They want good genetic material for their pups. Be those things and you won't need to pursue a mate. They will pursue you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm single and in my mid 30's, I wouldn't consider myself lonely. I can surround myself with people at any time. Just because some people can't handle the concept of being by themselves doesn't mean that we're all doomed.
View Quote

I wanted a GF so bad when I was younger, was never good with the ladies. Then I got a GF, didnt really like her all that much, realized I was happier single.

I'm 30 and have the whole rest of my life to chain myself down. I enjoy my solitude. A woman will have to make me enjoy her presence more than I enjoy my solitude.

ETA: I'm also in shape, employed, and generally speaking have my shit together. If I need a lay I can go pick one up from a bar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lonely single men..... nothing exactly something new.
View Quote

Neither is wallowing in self pity.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
More single men and women from what I've been seeing. People are super unhappy all over. The feminist movement has killed relationships between men and women. Everyone just get a cat or dog I guess, ha
View Quote

The feminist movement and the pussification of men. They're trying to make men and women equal and meet in a middle ground. This is largely unnatural. Personally, I love women because they are different. I love

their femininity. Luckily, in my age group (50) most women still want a real man. The younger generation is screwed...and it gets worse daily. Within 20 years, sex dolls will probably reach a point of realism where most men

will abandon real relationships. It's coming sooner than you think.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#26]
It's frigging goofy how much happier I am single. Yes, dating is a PITA, but the aggro of a perpetual live in is misery.
(Looks over shoulder to see if I vocalized that thought... )

I'm sorta a misanthrope though. Maybe it's just me?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Who wants to keep a girlfriend?

I thought the whole point was to blow them off while dating other women. Rinse and repeat with a newer model.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's frigging goofy how much happier I am single. Yes, dating is a PITA, but the aggro of a perpetual live in is misery.
(Looks over shoulder to see if I vocalized that thought... )

I'm sorta a misanthrope though. Maybe it's just me?
View Quote

No, I'm kinda the same.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Didn’t GD do this exact article already?

One of those independent printshops that do the short arched vertical banners could make me a custom order with:

single, never vaxxed, never unemployed, and >$87000/yr.

Obviously that won’t all fit onto one banner, and would be impractical indoors.

But two would be easily attached to my hiking pack for an ersatz winged Hussar!

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Haha, funny they assume single dudes are lonely.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I could only be so lucky as to be single and lonely again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bullshit. For most women, if you tell them the concerns occupying your mind, suddenly they see you as weak, and they see that as unattractive.

The idea that men might have emotions seems to be a foreign concept to a lot of women.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Emotional availability depends a lot on context. I’m extremely emotionally available to my wife. But we’ve been together for a couple of decades now and we’ve built up to it. I definitely didn’t start out that way.

Here’s my unpopular opinion: men who are immediately completely emotionally available are as troublesome as women who are immediately completely sexually available.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Best for them to marry a foreign woman. The availability of good single women in this country is non-existent.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Make money,   vacation in Vegas,   hookers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Make money,   vacation in Vegas,   hookers.

I have a buddy that has a wife from the Philippines.  Been married decades.  She looks 20 years younger than she is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Follows a hypothesis that I have that not very many people are actually relationship material. Lives have become too easy with survivability too high. Most who would have otherwise have been killed off long before they were able to reproduce have survived long enough to realize they are biologically compelled to go through the motions. But they’re not suitable, and others sense that. And so they end up alone and miserable and lonely.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I met a lot of them in the bars back in the 70's. I know how it felt then it must be horrible today. God sent me the right woman.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh horseshit.

Women want to be able to do whatever the hell they want yet have some dumb WEALTHY cuck pay their freight.
Ride the cock carousel or whichever name it goes by nowadays.
They’re just whiny when they don’t get to play this game.
I’m glad men are realizing this bullshit and telling them to FOAD.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I just don't want to deal with the nonsense anymore.

Bring on the AI sex bots
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Make money, … vacation in Vegas, … hookers.

View Quote

Making money right now- Already vacation in Vegas AND Thailand- thinking of Vietnam next year just to reenact the scene from Full Metal Jacket " You got girlfriend in Vietnam? Me love you long time"

Have no issues anymore except as to where I put those motorcycle stand adaptors so I can change out the front forks on my Monster 796. This is kinda trouble.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a very large distance between what people SAY they want, and what they ACTUALLY.want (and it may even be subconscious)
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#41]
“I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it.”

- Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Full time Night Woman ??? Nature of the Beast
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Bring on the AI sex bots
View Quote

It will usher in the utopia. No more anger (except the AI sexbots- which could be really bad!!!)
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I could only be so lucky as to be single and lonely again.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
20%, 80%.
View Quote

Read an article a while back about some genome nubers crunching. 20/80 is actually close for our species. Those numbers show 40/60.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Follows a hypothesis that I have that not very many people are actually relationship material. Lives have become too easy with survivability too high. Most who would have otherwise have been killed off long before they were able to reproduce have survived long enough to realize they are biologically compelled to go through the motions. But they’re not suitable, and others sense that. And so they end up alone and miserable and lonely.
View Quote

The constant warfare of previous centuries was ideal for killing off the surplus young unmarried men.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I wanted a GF so bad when I was younger, was never good with the ladies. Then I got a GF, didnt really like her all that much, realized I was happier single.

I'm 30 and have the whole rest of my life to chain myself down. I enjoy my solitude. A woman will have to make me enjoy her presence more than I enjoy my solitude.

ETA: I'm also in shape, employed, and generally speaking have my shit together. If I need a lay I can go pick one up from a bar.
View Quote

Be honest, she’s still down in the crawl space, yeah?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The constant warfare of previous centuries was ideal for killing off the surplus young unmarried men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Along with infant and child mortality and maternal mortality during childbirth, there were built in population controls. The weak and those unsuited for perpetuation of the species did not survive.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Be honest, she's still down in the crawl space, yeah?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It will usher in the utopia. No more anger (except the AI sexbots- which could be really bad!!!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring on the AI sex bots

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I love being alone.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top